All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday was the best episode of the season hands down and maybe the best episode of at least the past three or four seasons.  The opening of WU and Che's reveal is classic and the David statue interview was perfect.  The pre-recorded bridesmaid bit was the only miss of the night.  Every other sketch killed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Saturday was the best episode of the season hands down and maybe the best episode of at least the past three or four seasons.  The opening of WU and Che's reveal is classic and the David statue interview was perfect.  The pre-recorded bridesmaid bit was the only miss of the night.  Every other sketch killed.

The foodie new yorker influencer video was hilarious:

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I was uncomfortable with my feelings while watching Ana as a high school Spanish student.

Sketches were uninspired, and I hardly laughed.  But this is probably my favorite episode of SNL of all time.

She was just unimaginably cute/sexy in every single sketch.  Even in very unflattering wardrobe.  Like her, but woefully more unattractive-but bilingual in Spanish and English.  And I rewatched a few to see what the issue was with this episode.  She was fine, her timing and deference to the cast was spot-on.  And was not a language barrier (sometimes you can be totally comfortable in another language but just the comedic cadence in another language can be impossible to nail---I am funny in English but not in Spanish, my uncles from Spain and Mexico for the most part are hilarious in Spanish but not in English despite delivering the same insults/retorts).  

But all that to say this was probably the worst writing of the season.  This writer's room has been killing it for the last few years but they just run outta steam (and cocaine) at this point in a season.  Totally understandable.  She just got stuck with a week of shitty scripts and not even her dimples (cheek and ass), could save it.  

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Cold open was awful. I fast forwarded until I saw Sarah Sherman doing stuff, and then to Weekend Update. 

Yeah, I mean I've lived up North.  My father lived in New York.  I still have family in New York.  I know their start to Spring carries more weight than us just celebrating wildflowers.  But that was just fucking weird.  I don't know the vibe they were going for, maybe it was inside humor for New Yorkers/Northeasterners but it just fucking sucked.  Hard.  

12 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Last 2 episodes were pure garbage. Thanks for making the Ana de Armas episode un-rewatchable, you fucking tard writers.

Yeah, Molly carried that episode and prevented it from being a total shitshow.  But again, they just run outta steam I guess?  Do Not Destroy guys and W/U saved both of 'em.  Pete's coming back in  a few weeks, should be interesting.  They list 22 episodes this season, but Pete will only be #19 in early May.  They don't do Memorial Day weekend and they haven't gone into June in decades.  And they don't do four in a row in forever.  So I'm confused.  How do they to 22 with the Gregorian calendar such as it is?  Also, Mulaney apparently confirmed to do one of the last few episodes which I love the idea of.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

We kinda hijacked the Pete Davidson thread and turned it into the 49 discussion, but mods can merge them if possible.  I don't know this bad Bunny cat at all.  Sometimes the new hot musical act does well, most of the time they don't.  

Also remember, sadly...Please don't DEstroy doesn't go every week.  Usually about 65-75% of the season (not a huge sample base I know).  Next week's host has some history with them so they may be holding out for that.  Then again, Lorne may be looking at Bad Bunny in rehearsals and thinking, "PDD guys, I need something brilliant from you this week!"  

It literally said “please don’t destroy” before the clip and then again on the coffee mug after it ended, during the bumper.  The costumes were funny, just fell a bit flat.  No biggie 

the cold opening was fantastic as always as the Jagger cameo.  But it’ll get some of our fellow posters bitt hurt because as usual, it wasn’t satire on the cold opening.  It was parody. And the lack of understanding the difference hurts most of all.  

The two other live sketches were pretty bad overall.  

It literally said “please don’t destroy” before the clip and then again on the coffee mug after it ended, during the bumper.  The costumes were funny, just fell a bit flat.  No biggie 
the cold opening was fantastic as always as the Jagger cameo.  But it’ll get some of our fellow posters bitt hurt because as usual, it wasn’t satire on the cold opening.  It was parody. And the lack of understanding the difference hurts most of all.  

The two other live sketches were pretty bad overall.  

Yeah. My bad — I’m behind, watching on DVR. Forgot that. The Shrek bit was a PDD bit. Not nearly as funny as usual but still one of the better bits tonight, I’m sure. I think they’re really limited on the live stuff that they can do with him.

8 hours ago, RPM said:

WU was short. I think they had to cut for length. Bad Bunny was better than I expected. Excellent cameos. B+ episode.

Yeah, they leaned into the Spanish skits pretty hard, which is good because his English has such an accent it's hard to follow.

I was pleasantly surprised by BB as well. Seems like a dude that just enjoys himself. His music isn't my thing but it's better than the auto-tuned rap shit they get a lot of the time like Lil Yachty or similar, who quite obviously can't sing for shit.

• Like 1

So Mikey Day is going to be in every single sketch now? I don’t think that’s a great development. Is Sarah Sherman still on the show? 

Marcello Hernandez must love the Spanish language guests. Almost in every scene. 

The Jagger cameos were weird and didn’t work for me. 

Solid B episode. Not bad for a host that really didn’t feel like speaking English. 

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Mikey Day is going to be in every single sketch now? I don’t think that’s a great development. Is Sarah Sherman still on the show? 

I have no problem with the talented getting airtime. Wasn't Sarah in 2 sketches? She'll be in all of them in a couple of years.

The episode felt like a WWII or Cold War movie where the characters subtly transition from German/Russian into English by reading something aloud or singing.  Most sketches were setup so that Bunny guy could move between Spanish and English.  It was pretty clever.  He seemed energetic and personable, but his timing was off.  But deferred to cameos and bilingual cast members, which was wise.  Whole thing was better than I thought it'd be.  

I know there's some sensitive folks on here that feel SNL is too mean to certain politicians.  But that cold opening was very timely and very funny.  The cosmetic staple on Jimmy Johnson's jowls was a nice touch.  But no matter how you feel about SNL politics, you have to be happy for the SNL intern who gets to put on his resume, "Grabbed Chloe Fineman's right breast.  Twice.  Plus Dress Rehearsal."  That dude is king of the Studio 8H this week.

Speaking of this week.  Unlike most movie/TV stars who get to relax and enjoy New York for days ahead of time before starting official hosting duties between projects.  Nate Bargatze did a standup show in Oklahoma on Sunday night.  Didn't arrive in New York until midday Monday to begin with helping write sketches.  Guy hit the ground running for his first hosting gig.  I suspect there'll be more down the road.  It's been a long time since I actually looked forward to a host as opposed to just trying to stay up to watch a few sketches and giggle so I can prove to myself I can make it past 11:00pm.   

Chloe played it brilliantly upon a second watch.  I was still laughing at Yang saying nobody knows why George Santos would be holding a baby.  But when I rewatched her, she has that subtle look of somebody very uncomfortable in their own skin despite being attractive.  But then she discretely mispronounces her own last name, even when it's written out in front of her, because she's so fucking stupid.  Very clever. 

Slight thread derail, Nate announced a show for Austin (Moody Center) for 21 April.  I'd be in like Flynt, but it's our oldest's birthday party.  Maybe we'll get lucky at that'll be the Spring Game and we can have him over for surly banter and black tar heroin.

He's got a show the night before in San Antonio.  Then 4 days off before heading to Corpus of all places.  Maybe we can organize a meet 'n greet between those if he's not jetting back to Nashville to see his family.  Or we could offer up one of y'all's places on the coast to hang out.  

Edited by YGIFS

Very enjoyable SNL episode tonight. Y’all were right — Bargatze was fantastic. Caught him on Fallon or Meyers this week, which was a nice intro. He was good on there.

The ‘Lake Beach’ music sketch was hilarious. Loved him as GWash. Monologue was fantastic. I’m a Nate Bargatze fan now.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

For those new to Nate he has a couple of comedy specials on Netflix and his latest comedy special is on Amazon Prime. They're all great.

And like most comics, he also has a pretty good podcast

Tennessee Kid is our favorite. And family friendly. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They should have begged Sudeikis back for the Biden cold open. Mikey Day sucks. 

Mikey Day hasn’t made me laugh once. 

the best nate special is probably his most recent on prime.  the two netflix ones are also solid.  there are also a bunch of assorted clips you might find on youtube or on siriusxm comedy channels (that's where i first became a fan).  lots of bits i've heard i have no idea what special they belong to or where they came from.

here he is with a bit featuring vy:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 10/29/2023 at 2:21 AM, C-Man said:

Very enjoyable SNL episode tonight. Y’all were right — Bargatze was fantastic. Caught him on Fallon or Meyers this week, which was a nice intro. He was good on there.

The ‘Lake Beach’ music sketch was hilarious. Loved him as GWash. Monologue was fantastic. I’m a Nate Bargatze fan now.

I got a few good chuckles during the chef competition as well.