Tech Game Week

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Xian said:

Hope sark understands that like arky, this is a rivalry game.  Tech will be out for blood. Especially since we blew up their conference. 

I doubt many teams will or even can increase their usual fanatical efforts playing Texas due to our exit. Their fans? Now that's another story.

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Believe me, no person was more frustrated with every game being a shit fight whether it was Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech, or New Mexico State. Games like OU or a good OOC game are meant to be close.

Herman was doing just enough to be kept on at most places. I thought it was bold and wise to let him go.

Also, I don't have any reason to expect all of our games with Sark to be mudholes. I think the Arkansas game revealed things to him that he won't ignore. As I've said other places, I'm an optimistic fan, but not so much to bathe in koolaid. I was excited heading into Arkansas, demoralized afterward, and now guardedly optimistic after Rice.

That early season loss to Arky probably makes this program better in the long run -- find out where you truly are in Game #2, and fuckin' work all season long to improve and get better!!  🤘

• Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, Burt said:

Nope, just checked.  ND St is off next week.  I'm sure I'll have to do it for the ou game, though

Tried Sling for a while, but unless your "local" channels are nearby (in a Big City), the "local" stations aren't on their network feeds, but they'll offer to sell you an antenna. Middessa has regular (as opposed to "sports") ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX, but they're not offered by Sling, so you won't see games on those "local" channels. Oddly enough, the OTA signals from them doesn't reach here, 150+ miles away. '\

Youtube TV does give you the "local" stuff. I don't watch anything other than sports and a series or three, I haven't noticed anything Sling has that YoutubeTV doesm't. 

YMMV

Anything less than 9-3 is a disappointing season with this roster. Nothing's changed for me.

I still agree, though I’m less confident it’ll be achieved because they seem hesitant to tinker with the OL and it obviously isn’t working as currently constructed. I was pretty confident Texas would be able to win in Ames but Odom are Sark’s lunch using a very similar defense to Heacock’s, so I’m feeling less good about that. I haven’t seen anything to change my mind on TCU and OU being probable losses either. At that point you start getting into underachieving territory.

Still, the Big 12 isn’t that good this year and 7-2 in conference should be doable. With a new coach and QB(s) I had priced in a WTF type loss, perhaps that’s what the Arkansas game will be viewed as in hindsight. Still, that bad taste remains in your mouth for a while. I’m definitely going to need to see this team at 4-1 heading into Dallas before I feel any better about the prospects.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

The first "real" test to see how much better in-game Casey is for conference play. He'll do what he needs to do, but that o-line HAS to not shit the bed. Bijan, Rojo, Keilan should be good against their D, but we need Worthy, Whitt, and Moore to step it up, too. I think we win, but I don't see a blowout. 

As usual, I have no idea. As a sportswriter whose name I've lost wrote long ago: "The game could go either way and probably will."

Without at least four more games, it's just hard to tell where we actually are or will be. It's one of those seasons where just about everybody looks very vulnerable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That early season loss to Arky probably makes this program better in the long run -- find out where you truly are in Game #2, and fuckin' work all season long to improve and get better!!  

Losing to a mediocre Arkansas team is never a good thing, particularly for Texas, short term or long term. Garbage take.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

As usual, I have no idea. As a sportswriter whose name I've lost wrote long ago: "The game could go either way and probably will."

Without at least four more games, it's just hard to tell where we actually are or will be. It's one of those seasons where just about everybody looks very vulnerable. 

Yep, that's right. Conference is a different animal, and those dudes fucking abhor us. They'll get up to play. 

Everyone should enjoy the Rice win. It isn't often that the best case scenario comes to fruition around here lately, and there aren't many scenarios better than winning 58-0. This was exactly how to respond to an embarrassing loss.

But.

The systemic flaws that Arkansas exposed probably didn't disappear in the last seven days. We're making progress fixing some: notably, we maybe have a competent starting QB after all. But our fourth- and fifth-string RBs won't be gashing many defenses they see moving forward. The offense's base play can't be hand it off and let the RB break 4+ tackles per carry because we saw how that fared against Arkansas. We rushed for 400+ yard in spite of the offensive line--not because of them.  And Rice's offense came into this game averaging 12 points through their first two games. They've now finished the first 1/4 of their season and they're averaging 8 points.

We should feel good about this win. But we really can't make major takeaways from it. Let's see if our second game against a P5 team goes better than the first.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

Everyone should enjoy the Rice win. It isn't often that the best case scenario comes to fruition around here lately, and there aren't many scenarios better than winning 58-0. This was exactly how to respond to an embarrassing loss.

But.

The systemic flaws that Arkansas exposed probably didn't disappear in the last seven days. We're making progress fixing some: notably, we maybe have a competent starting QB after all. But our fourth- and fifth-string RBs won't be gashing many defenses they see moving forward. The offense's base play can't be hand it off and let the RB break 4+ tackles per carry because we saw how that fared against Arkansas. We rushed for 400+ yard in spite of the offensive line--not because of them.  And Rice's offense came into this game averaging 12 points through their first two games. They've now finished the first 1/4 of their season and they're averaging 8 points.

We should feel good about this win. But we really can't make major takeaways from it. Let's see if our second game against a P5 team goes better than the first.

Sarkisian is going to have to do more throwing to set up the run in conference play or TCU, ISU, and OU will tee off on us. I believe he is saving the wrinkles for conference play. Even in the Arkansas game our gameplan was extremely vanilla.

at least that is the hope and it is not due to that being the only thing we can execute.

10 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Florida is ahead of the team they just lost to at home? 

I think he must be talking about the initial rating?

I can't think of any formula that would have Alabama, with a prestige win, not at the top or have Tech anywhere near the top 5.

However, he's totally correct about predictive value of that rating.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Sure, I’ve basically posted this word for word in the OL thread. But Flood appears just as infatuated with Jones at LT as the last staff and Sark, like Herman, has really never been much of a wide zone guy. I wouldn’t hold my breath on these things.

Just another perspective, Ian Boyd:

Quick thought no. 2: Texas got the run game going again

Texas returned to outside zone this week and in a related story, they ran the ball very effectively on the day. Some of their best runs came on the more straight ahead inside zone/duo schemes but outside zone was a mainstay, including a quarterback keeper option. Texas was able to get the ball rolling on the ground early and didn’t stop when the third and fourth string entered the game at running back.

They had a decent amount of variety in the outside zone run game. A few times they lined up in the 4×0 set college football loves right now and ran outside zone to the strong side, often seeing the ball cut back to the weak side for massive gains as the Owls’ defense was overextended by the unbalanced formation.

Bijan Robinson’s nice early stiff-arm came on this play, as did the long Keilan Robinson score later in the contest.

I didn't see the game, and I claim no keen insight as to play strategy. 

Edited by RomaVicta
Added second quote from Boyd
  • Like 1

We did what the Longhorns usually should do against Rice. I was happy with the win, especially with the promise of our best group of running backs since the Ricky/Shon/Priest year, maybe the Selvin/Jamaal years to be generous.

But it’s just one game, and I’m not loading up on the Kool Aid going into the Tech game. I don’t think this Longhorn team at the end of the season will be the one we saw suck shit against Arkansas. But we have a ways to go, and a less-than-pretty win against Tech wouldn’t surprise me.

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Oh, and just watched the Rice highlights. Again, it’s fucking Rice, but Keilan looked damn good. I know Bijan is the man, but he should get 5-10 rushes/passes a game. Kid’s a burner, and looks like our fastest RB since Jamaal. Wish we had him for more than 2 years.

Reminds me some of Ramonce with that straight line speed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Oh, and just watched the Rice highlights. Again, it’s fucking Rice, but Keilan looked damn good. I know Bijan is the man, but he should get 5-10 rushes/passes a game. Kid’s a burner, and looks like our fastest RB since Jamaal. Wish we had him for more than 2 years.

We need a wild cat formation with roschon at qb with Bijan and Robinson lined up with him in the backfield would be unfair 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

But.

53 weeks ago this morning we woke up in the afterglow of going in no lube on UTEP 59-3.  The following week we totally shit the bed in lubbock and Sam had to save Thermensa's job for a few more weeks with an insane comeback overtime win.  In our favor this year, home, not on the road.  Not in our favor: first opportunity for Big12 Fuckery on behalf of the school that probably feels the most aggrieved by our decision to leave them behind.  Regardless, we should win convincingly.

Alternative version, not Parcells-approved.

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

Uh.......we did that. Bijan was the lead blocker on that play resulting in a long touchdown.

Christ I smoke too much weed. Forgot about that. Well, let’s do it some more then creep the safeties in then let roschon air out to Worthy 

• Like 2