233 members have voted

1. 1. Have you contracted Covid-19?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you contracted COVID-19 REDUX

• Yes, more than once
    • Yes
    • No

Maybe it's been posted here, but there may be new light on why some people catch it, and others don't:

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/10/australian-study-receptor-blocks-covid-infection

Australian scientists announced Friday they've discovered a protein in the lung that sticks to the COVID-19 virus like Velcro and forms a natural protective barrier in a person's body to block infection.

Why it matters: The study, published in the journal PLOS Biology on Friday, "opens up an entirely new area of immunology research" around this receptor protein, LRRC15, and "offers a promising pathway to develop new drugs to prevent viral infection from coronaviruses like COVID-19 or deal with fibrosis in the lungs," per a statement from the University of Sydney announcing their findings.

It could also help explain why some people who contract COVID experience serious illness, while others never get sick. 

The study builds on earlier research into the LRRC15 receptor. The new research shows that this naturally occurring protein can bind to the spike of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID, and protect neighboring cells from infection, per an emailed statement from study lead author Greg Neely.

What they did: Neely, a professor of functional genomics at the University of Sydney, and his team screened human cells for genes and investigated the lungs of COVID patients using CRISPR technology.

What they found: The researchers discovered that LRRC15 binds to the virus. 

Lipin Loo, a postdoctoral researcher who worked on the study with Neely, and Ph.D student Matthew Waller, noted in a statement that "it acts a bit like Velcro, molecular Velcro, in that it sticks to the spike of the virus and then pulls it away from the target cell types."

LRRC15 can stick to the virus and immobilize it, preventing other vulnerable cells from becoming infected in the process.

Waller said in a statement that the researchers "found that this receptor also controls antiviral responses, as well as fibrosis, and could link COVID-19 infection with lung fibrosis that occurs during long COVID."

Spoiler

The intrigue: "We think this newly identified protein could be part of our body's natural response to combating the infection creating a barrier that physically separates the virus from our lung cells most sensitive to COVID-19," Neely said in a statement issued by the University of Sydney.

What they're saying: "The LRRC15 protein appears to effectively mop up extracellular virus floating around in infected lungs," said Cassandra Berry, an immunology professor at Murdoch University in Western Australia, who was not involved in the study, in an emailed statement.

"This discovery allows us to better understand innate immunity that helps to protect us during virus invasion and offers new ways for development of antivirals."

The bottom line: "For me, as an immunologist, the fact that there's this natural immune receptor that we didn't know about, that's lining our lungs and blocks and controls virus, that's crazy interesting," Neely said.

"Since this receptor can block COVID-19 infection, and at the same time activate our body's anti-virus response, and suppress our body’s fibrosis response, this is a really important new gene."

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

Today suuuucked. Felt like someone trying to inflate my skull most of the time with pressure, plus a massive headache that was so bad if I touched my head it would increase the pain. 

fever, and pulse ox at 95% so a touch low. 

first dose of paxlovid at 11 am so I’m hoping after the second tonight, I will be able to sleep and wake up feeling much better. 

ribs and upper back are killing me from all the violent coughing the last 4 days, been avoiding ibuprofen for pain because I don’t want the fever suppressed. 

wife tested negative today with no symptoms. Nothing from the kids either. Fingers crossed there. 

never had lethargy but anytime I could breathe somewhat well I’d try to sleep just to escape the aches and pains. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Third day since I tested positive (the day I realized "shit, I'm actually sick, this isn't just bad allergies).  Today was relatively fine -- totally congested in my head, can't taste anything (can't tell if that's congestion-related, or if it's the COVID no taste thing).  Still low energy.  Yesterday, I ran out of gas around 5:00.  Today, I kind of faded a bit after lunch time, but things with work heated up, and I've been handling those ever since.  Tired now, but not unreasonably so.  All vitals are good, will see if I pop a temp again tonight.

If I continue to improve, I'll take a test tomorrow afternoon, see if I'm still positive.  I suspect I will be.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Third day since I tested positive (the day I realized "shit, I'm actually sick, this isn't just bad allergies).  Today was relatively fine -- totally congested in my head, can't taste anything (can't tell if that's congestion-related, or if it's the COVID no taste thing).  Still low energy.  Yesterday, I ran out of gas around 5:00.  Today, I kind of faded a bit after lunch time, but things with work heated up, and I've been handling those ever since.  Tired now, but not unreasonably so.  All vitals are good, will see if I pop a temp again tonight.

If I continue to improve, I'll take a test tomorrow afternoon, see if I'm still positive.  I suspect I will be.

If you die can I have your generator?

Feeling a good bit better.  Now, it's just lingering congestion turning into a cough.  BUT, my forward-thinking doc thought ahead, and wrote me a scrip for codeine cough syrup (that shit is seriously magical for coughs.....it is also a central character in the story of the drunkest, most obnoxious I've ever been at a football game -- UT v. aggy in 96 or something like that....they really mean "do not mix with alcohol," FYI).

Being a Houston native....I think I'm ready to go:

hip-hop-wired-10-rapper-lean-addictions-

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

And.....shit.  We watched the Super Bowl with two friends.  I had my nagging "cedar allergy cough" when we were over there (yeah, it didn't occur to me that I could actually be sick till the next day).  They both just tested positive.  Fuck, I feel mortified and terrible.  Going to send them a delivery care package of soup and such, but shit.  Pay attention to your symptoms, people.  Maybe it's NOT allergies, even though it's literally peak allergy season so that's what you'd assume.

Yet, as of now, my wife (who was around me a LOT more than that) is still testing negative.  We'll check again tonight.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:37 PM, Deej said:

The excessive alcohol consumption by the average Surly member doesn't allow for the virus to take hold. 

I basically drank through my early COVID symptoms last year.  It was the 4th of July.  So I figured, 'merica.  And I only suspected I had it and took two days off after I actually tested positive.

Hope you're feeling better.

Well, I cooked some ground venison to put over brown rice with salsa for dinner (trying to eat simple), and accidentally left the venison pan on low. I realized it when I SMELLED the meat over-crisping from the other room, so that’s something. First thing I’ve smelled in 4 days. So, there’s that.

Dangnab it!
Grandson who was up here yesterday moving furniture around has tested positive for Covid today. 
We didn’t get that close to any of them except to shake hands (used the disinfectant spritzer right afterwards).
Sure hope neither of us will come down with the ‘vid, as it would mess up this week’s doctor appointment.

• Hook 'Em 1

Goddammit. 7 days since my positive test, tested again…still positive. Only symptom left is moderate nasal congestion. But I think I’ll be staying out of the office at least through tomorrow. And when I return, wear a mask the whole time. This is getting goddamn tedious.
Wife is still negative.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Goddammit. 7 days since my positive test, tested again…still positive. Only symptom left is moderate nasal congestion. But I think I’ll be staying out of the office at least through tomorrow. And when I return, wear a mask the whole time. This is getting goddamn tedious.
Wife is still negative.

And now you have long COVID to look forward to!

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Our home Covid test kits expired in December. Would they still work?

Probably yes. FDA has been extending the expiration dates that were assigned under the original EUAs. Varies by test, see link.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wife is still negative.

You live in Austin. Nasal congestion doesn’t count

Wife has it for the 5th or 6th time. Previous times, she just shook it off. We’ve been traveling a bit and dealing with the usual allergy issues with all the recent weather changes.

Her scratchy throat and congestion turned into a cold. She worked through it all, sicker every day.

Finally, she went to the doctor Friday morn because she could feel in her face and ear that she was getting a sinus infection. 

Her doc tested her. Positive. Came home with Paxlovid, Cipro, steroids, ear drops, and Albuterol and collapsed on the couch for the weekend. Lotsa decongestant and Mucinex as well. Just now starting to feel worth a damn. 

The shit she’s coughing up is the consistency of Elmer’s glue. Unreal. 

Somehow, I have dodged this bullet. Maybe because I got the bi-variant Moderna 4th shot and she didn’t?  Who knows?  Or maybe because she’s around it every damn day. 

This virus blows. 

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wife is still negative.

Same. Monday to Monday now. Very faint line this time, hoping tomorrow is the winner.  No symptoms other than a mild cough for days. 

wife still sleeping in camper. 
i, obviously, cannot sleep. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Same. Monday to Monday now. Very faint line this time, hoping tomorrow is the winner.  No symptoms other than a mild cough for days. 

wife still sleeping in camper. 
i, obviously, cannot sleep. 

Well, my hospital friends have informed me that hell, it may be days or weeks until I test negative.  For them, their protocol is "stay away for five days, and additional days if still symptomatic."  Then, after that, they come back to work, but N-95 at all times for 5 days.  They may STILL be testing positive weeks later, it's the nature of this bug, but once they get through that protocol, they don't need to do anything else.

Wife finally came back to our bed last night, she had enough of this shit.  She's still negative.  We'll both test again tomorrow.  Man.  After a coupla years of having stacks of tests sitting in the medicine cabinet, we actually had to get more tests at HEB yesterday.

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit, man.  We are clearly going through a spike/wave.  Can't tell you how many folks I know who have had it over the last month or so.

BTW, my wife, despite being exposed repeatedly via me and others....still negative.

Pretty sure I picked it up in Miami or on the plane home Monday. 

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Pretty sure I picked it up in Miami or on the plane home Monday. 

I actually just had a telemed follow up appointment with my electrocardiologist, who came down with COVID the same day that I did.  He commented that we're clearly seeing a spike in some sort of new variant.  He's observed that they've had a LOT of people coming down with COVID, and that this variant is actually making people reasonably sick (not causing real increases in hospitalization, but not many of the "I tested positive but had no symptoms" cases either).  He was like me -- felt pretty cruddy and run down for 3-5 days, then another few days of an up-slope to get over it.

Hope your bout isn't too bad, but if it's the same deal we had, that may be what you have in store.

Son & his two boys have it. 
The youngest just a mild case, but Dad and older boy have been pretty sick. 

Son has been running 102 fever several days. Wednesday it peaked at 106, so he took a long cold shower which brought it down to 99. Then back up to 102.

Edited by Armybrat

We’ve had three vaccines total, the first three offered. We never got the fourth, or the re-mixed one. Thoughts on getting a shot? We don’t want to ruin our June vacation to Europe by catching Covid. Again. 

Edited by Dbeasy

25 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We’ve had three vaccines total, the first three offered. We never got the fourth, or the re-mixed one. Thoughts on getting a shot? We don’t want to ruin our June vacation to Europe by catching Covid. Again. 

I suspect it's all just dice-rolling now.  I got the bi-valent vaccine in December, as did my Dr.  Maybe it helped reduce the severity of the bout, but it sure didn't prevent us from catching whatever the current variant is.

If we're looking for a vaccine that has a better shot at preventing cases, probably need to wait for future formulations targeted at current variants (and even then, I suspect it will occasionally miss the target, like the annual flu vaccine formulation does).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If we're looking for a vaccine that has a better shot at preventing cases, probably need to wait for future formulations targeted at current variants (and even then, I suspect it will occasionally miss the target, like the annual flu vaccine formulation does).

I don't think that mRNA tech will ever get us there. It's not a variant issue solely, although that might be part of it. You are not getting the IgA mucosal load (ask South Austin's mom for the details) sufficient to generate a sterilizing immunity. It's all monday morning quarterbacking at this point, but we shut down the WS development program too soon. The pivot was to roll-out, which was certainly needed, but we should have kept the gas on wrt the development program. We're gonna be waiting for a nasally administered vax for a while. Some of them are just getting out of Phase 1.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think that mRNA tech will ever get us there. It's not a variant issue solely, although that might be part of it. You are not getting the IgA mucosal load (ask South Austin's mom for the details) sufficient to generate a sterilizing immunity. It's all monday morning quarterbacking at this point, but we shut down the WS development program too soon. The pivot was to roll-out, which was certainly needed, but we should have kept the gas on wrt the development program. We're gonna be waiting for a nasally administered vax for a while. Some of them are just getting out of Phase 1.  

Agreed.  Not sure why that roll got slowed so much, but here we are.