Well, bye, Jon Gruden

Deej

It’s no coincidence when Goodell leaked the Gruden email this weekend (before leaking several more.) it was likely to help Demaurice keep his job and also to exact revenge on Gruden. But I wonder if this was a shot across the bow of all owners…in the event some were collaborating (Perhaps with Gruden) to get rid of him. Would be fascinating to know honestly. Gruden was the most powerful HC because Mark Davis gave him that power. Almost owner-like power. So yeah, Goodell is petty and wanted his ass gone. Gruden made it very easy for Goodell by emailing all that horrible stupid stuff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foosters said:

Ah yes, cancel culture. A recent phenomenon, for sure. I remember the good old days when people were simply fired for being gay, or not being the right religion, or having different political beliefs, or believing women should vote, or advocating for equal rights among the races.

3 hours ago, Capt. Squints said:

You must be awfully old if you "remember" those days.

You're gotdang right, whippersnapper. Why, I remember way back at the turn of the century when everything he said was happening on the regular. Thank the stars we've moved beyond that kind of behavior and now live in an egalitarian utopia where powerbrokers don't do everything they can to crush the plebeians to earn one more wooden nickel for their bottomless souls. Thank the heavens that there's no more racial discrimination, sexual discrimination, political discrimination or gender discrimination. Thank the winds that the government isn't dictating how private companies should care for the health of their employees or tell women how to handle their medical care.

Young turks like yourself that came up in the era of equanimity sure are lucky life is so good for you. If you squint hard enough you just might see your incredible ignorance.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/8/2021 at 5:09 PM, Pam Cummings said:

I cant be the only one that googled a picture of the guy...

I did, too. If his lips were freaky enormous, Gruden could argue it wasn't really racist just tasteless.

The guy looks normal. The remark is a slur.

The only issue I wonder about is his intended audience. I might say horrible things around people who know me. I may go into a redneck racist character's voice and speak words that I would never use or condone in public.

He's a public figure. He should be careful. He spoke a slur. 

Oddly, this is sort of like my Eyes of Texas feelings. I'd put the black students in the position of choosing what to do after they hear discussion and debate about it. I don't want to be the arbiter of what offends a group of citizens who have suffered horrendously here.

With Gruden, I'd let him make his case, if he wants to, to the players association. Let them decide. 

The feelings and experiences of black Americans should not be mediated by RomaVicta. I'll gladly empower a people that have never been empowered. 

• Hook 'Em 4

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32389529/nflpa-petition-nfl-release-all-emails-washington-football-team-investigation

The NFL Players Association said Tuesday that it plans to request that the NFL release the remainder of the 650,000 emails reviewed as part of the investigation into workplace misconduct with the Washington Football Team.

Leaked emails from that investigation that showed Jon Gruden used racist, misogynistic and anti-gay language led to the Las Vegas Raiderscoach's resignation Monday night.

"We have had communications with the league, and the NFLPA plans to request that the NFL release the rest of the emails," NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith told USA Today Sports in a phone interview.

NFLPA spokesperson George Atallah confirmed to ESPN's Dan Graziano that the union planned to request the emails. An NFL spokesperson told USA Today that it had no plans to release those emails for confidentiality reasons.

Attorneys representing 40 former employees of the Washington Football Team also urged the NFL to release the emails.

"It is truly outrageous that after the NFL's 10-month long investigation involving hundreds of witnesses and 650,000 documents related to the longtime culture of harassment and abuse at the Washington Football Team, the only person to be held accountable and lose their job is the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders," lawyers Lisa Banks and Debra Katz said in a statement. "If the NFL felt it appropriate to release these offensive emails from Jon Gruden, which it obtained during its investigation into the Washington Football Team, it must also release the findings related to the actual target of that investigation. Our clients and the public at large deserve transparency and accountability. If not, the NFL and [commissioner] Roger Goodell must explain why they appear intent on protecting the Washington Football Team and owner Dan Snyder at all costs."

Spoiler

One of Gruden's emails included a racist comment about Smith. On Monday, before Gruden resigned, Smith tweeted that the email and some of the reaction to it "confirms that the fight against racism, racist tropes and intolerance is not over. This is not about an email as much as it is about a pervasive belief by some that people who look like me can be treated as less."

The NFL completed its investigation into Washington's workplace culture in July, fining the franchise $10 million. In addition, Tanya Snyder, who was named the team's co-CEO in June, took over the day-to-day duties of the franchise from her husband, Dan. All senior executives, including the Snyders, were ordered to take part in workplace conduct training.

An NFL spokesperson told ESPN's John Keim that the league won't reopen the investigation into the Washington Football Team based on these recently leaked emails. They considered the Gruden emails beyond the scope of the investigation. The spokesperson said the NFL did not release the emails pertaining to Gruden.

Also, while the league did flag the Gruden emails at the time, based on the material they reviewed, the league did not consider anything else that needed to be reported to the club or league leadership, the spokesperson said.

Gruden's resignation came shortly after The New York Times reported that he used misogynistic and anti-gay language in numerous emails to Bruce Allen, then the president of the Washington Football Team, and others during a seven-year period that ended in 2018. That report came days after 10-year-old emails from Gruden surfaced that included the racist comment about Smith as well as a vulgar criticism of Goodell.

Gruden was employed by ESPN as the lead analyst for Monday Night Football at the time he sent the emails.

"Jon has already apologized. He never meant to hurt anyone, obviously," Gruden's brother and former Washington Football Team coach Jay Gruden told "The Team980" show with Chris Russell and Pete Medhurst on Tuesday. "He's done a lot of great things for the National Football League and ESPN alike and I like to let him handle his business. But I'm always here for his support like he's always there when I needed it in a time of crisis. He'll bounce back in a big way; he always has and always will."

Jay Gruden also told the show that the NFL has done great things for both of their families.

"We understand when you take the job that things aren't private when you think they're private," he said. "He loves the NFL, he's very passionate about the NFL. He's done so many great things for so many different kinds of people in the National Football League -- coaches, players, front office people he's helped along the way; high school players; high school coaches; college coaches. He's been an incredible influence. For this to bring him down is unfortunate. It's brutal."

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was among NFL players and coaches to react to Jon Gruden's emails on Tuesday. In his weekly appearance on the "Pat McAfee Show," Rodgers said he doesn't "feel like those are opinions that are shared by players.

"I feel like in the locker room it's a close-knit group of guys and we don't treat people differently based on the way that they talk, where they're from, what they're into, what they look like. And I'm proud of that."

Rodgers also said "hopefully we can all as a league learn and grow from this and hopefully it puts people on notice who have some of those same opinions. Like, 'Hey man, it's time to grow and evolve and change and connect and that s--- doesn't fly.'"

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who is Black, was on Jon Gruden's staff with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for four seasons, including the Super Bowl XXXVII-winning team. He said Tuesday he was "saddened" by the situation.

"I'm saddened for the Raiders organization. I'm saddened for the people who were offended by it. I'm saddened for Coach Gruden. It's a sad commentary. That's the only opinion I care to share at this juncture," he said.

On Tuesday, the Buccaneers announced that Jon Gruden would be removed from the team's Ring of Honor.

"The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have advocated for purposeful change in the areas of race relations, gender equality, diversity and inclusion for many years. While we acknowledge Jon Gruden's contributions on the field, his actions go against our core values as an organization. Therefore, he will no longer continue to be a member of the Buccaneers Ring of Honor," the team said in a statement.

The Buccaneers had honored Gruden in a special Ring of Honor ceremony in Dec. 2017 during a Monday Night Football broadcast. The team will remove Jon Gruden's name from the inner facade of Raymond James Stadium, a source told ESPN's Jenna Laine. A live-sized statute of Gruden also stands inside the organization's main entrance lobby. That section of the stadium remains closed due to COVID-19 precautions so no immediate decision needs to be made on the statue's future, the source told Laine.

Washington is going to backed into a corner now. Cant wait to see those emails. Going to be really hard to keep that genie in the bottle now. 

My bet is that within a few weeks, Snyder or Goodell or both are gone. 

Goodell's only job is to stand there and take the bullets for all the bullshit that goes on in the NFL. When he isn't able to do that he is history. 

And good luck to anyone who thinks Gruden is some singular caveman. I bet elements of his attitude are rampant in the NFL. I haven't heard a lot of coaches and GMs comment yet until they try to scrub their internet history. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

More from Mike Florio (blackmail angle):

“Look at what they did to Gruden. Leak one document, send “other materials” to the Raiders, and wait. Knowing what else was out there, Gruden foolishly (or stubbornly) didn’t quit. Knowing what else was out there, owner Mark Davis foolishly (or stubbornly) didn’t fire Gruden. So then the league leaked other documents, with the clear impression being that, if Gruden isn’t gone, still others will be leaked.

Others can find themselves in a similar predicament. Others may be approached about emails that haven’t yet been leaked, but with a request/suggestion that they quietly resign or retire or whatever now, or the emails will surface.

These emails become a powerful weapon, made even more powerful if they land in the wrong hands. The selective leaking of the emails proves that they’re already in the wrong hands. The only right thing to do, then, is to shine the light now. That brings out the truth, and it prevents the league from using the threat of disclosing the truth to manipulate others into doing whatever the league may want.

I know that’s a strong allegation. But, based on Gruden’s resignation and the circumstances surrounding it, it’s fair to conclude that the league already has done it once. If the emails aren’t released, nothing stops the league from doing it again.”

• Hook 'Em 2

http://theathletic.com/news/bucs-remove-jon-gruden-from-ring-of-honor/cWrQqH4XtglX

Bucs have removed him from their Ring of Honor. That was quick. Good on Tampa Bay.

I should add they likely wouldn't have been so quick to act had Brady not brought them #2 last year & they're well positioned for a repeat this year, but they did act decisively.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Washington is going to backed into a corner now. Cant wait to see those emails. Going to be really hard to keep that genie in the bottle now. 
My bet is that within a few weeks, Snyder or Goodell or both are gone. 
Goodell's only job is to stand there and take the bullets for all the bullshit that goes on in the NFL. When he isn't able to do that he is history. 
And good luck to anyone who thinks Gruden is some singular caveman. I bet elements of his attitude are rampant in the NFL. I haven't heard a lot of coaches and GMs comment yet until they try to scrub their internet history. 

Yeah, this could get ugly for sure.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:58 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:
On 10/11/2021 at 7:36 PM, South Austin said:
None of that sounds good.

He's done. There's something about a giant douche nozzle hanging himself with his own rope that makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

David Carradine was feeling all warm and fuzzy as he hung himself with his own rope.

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

You guys thinking this is some NFL conspiracy are just wrong.  No way the NFL wanted those emails released and the potential can of worms it opens. Someone was pissed at Gruden and had the goods. It could be literally anyone.

Yes, the NFL wanted to keep whatever the hell went on in Washington quiet.  This doesn't help with that and makes it much, much more difficult.  The NFL did not leak this on purpose.

• Hook 'Em 2

It appears the NFL is attempting to surpress any additional emails from being released by hiding behind the bullshit cover story that they will not reopen the investigation.

What one has to do with the other escapes me. They have already investigated, just be as sharing with everyone else’s emails as they were with Jon’s.

• Hook 'Em 2

http://theathletic.com/news/bucs-remove-jon-gruden-from-ring-of-honor/cWrQqH4XtglX

Bucs have removed him from their Ring of Honor. That was quick. Good on Tampa Bay.

I should add they likely wouldn't have been so quick to act had Brady not brought them #2 last year & they're well positioned for a repeat this year, but they did act decisively.

I'm torn on my thoughts about this. I probably don't have the popular opinion here, but I wonder if this should be the proper action. Yes, he said racist and homophobic things. Yes, he should lose his job over it. Yes, he's proven to be a piece of shit.

But - was he in the Ring of Honor because of his personal morals and ethics? Or because of the job he did as a coach that won a Super Bowl? If similar emails came out tomorrow from Troy Aikman that he sent after he retired would we remove him from the Cowboys Ring of Honor or the Hall of Fame? What about Jimmy Johnson?

Denigrate him for his personal comments and ostracize him from future public view, but it doesn't erase his past accomplishments or the rewards given for those accomplishments. If they really feel that bad they should vacate their Super Bowl win and give the trophy back.

I understand that TB doesn't want to see his name in their stadium right now. I just don't know whether I like this move.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Some 650,000 and the only thing damaging found is a couple on Gruden. Sure I’ll buy that. Nothing to see here.

Yeah no shit right! If those things were said by Gruden no telling what else was said by the other participants in the email or who those participants are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ThE Carolina Panthers owner was forced to sell his team back in 2017/2018. Now granted he got to sell it but he wasn’t allowed back in their elite club again. And they eventually removed the statue of him they erected in 2016 about four plus years later. One would think that Snyder would be one of the owners that the NFL would want kicked to the curb. Of course they have 650,000 emails and they can just blackmail him until he sells.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah no shit right! If those things were said by Gruden no telling what else was said by the other participants in the email or who those participants are. 

Yep. Because we know that Gruden was involved in email exchanges with other participants that included topless WFT cheerleaders (allegedly those pictures were taken without their consent/they didn’t want to participate.) so yeah…the emails we got are tame in comparison. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Deej said:

I actually think that is what this is.

"See what we did to Gruden, Dan?"

It’s pretty scary (I mean The Firm like scary) but deserved in his case. Snyder is like the worst owner. The fans would be elated if he was forced to sell. A few weeks ago they were drenched with raw sewage in the stands. I don’t know many WFT fans but the ones I do all hate Snyder and want him gone. So by that math I’m guessing all the fans hate him? 

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s pretty scary (I mean The Firm like scary) but deserved in his case. Snyder is like the worst owner. The fans would be elated if he was forced to sell. A few weeks ago they were drenched with raw sewage in the stands. I don’t know many WFT fans but the ones I do all hate Snyder and want him gone. So by that math I’m guessing all the fans hate him? 

So being a bad professional sports owner merits being extorted to lose your business which is also your pride and joy?

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

If fans hating the owner was all it took, Jerry Jones would have been gone 25 years ago.

Oh true. I think that’s Goodell’s “Trump” card. Blackmail. Remember not terribly long ago Jerruh, the Double JJ himself, attempted to oust Goodell and that lasted all of five minutes and he was told to go sit in a corner and pipe down. I think with this WFT investigation/audit Goodell has enough leverage over several people that he can pretty much get them to stand on one leg and bark like a dog. The Code Red/ takedown of Gruden was swift and mercilesss. I mean over a weekend merciless. Made sure the owner of the Bucs knew that Gruden had said all manner of nasty shit about him as well. Just an absolute sweep the leg. No clue what he has planned for Snyder but this next week should be really interesting. In essentially 72-96 hours Gruden was eviscerated. 

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

So being a bad professional sports owner merits being extorted to lose your business which is also your pride and joy?

Uhhhh…we aren’t just talking about him being a bad owner. We are talking about stuff bad enough to force him to sell the team and could possibly get him some jail time (if it’s as bad as what is being rumored/alleged) for the sex trafficking stuff

This is the Jerry Jones stuff I was looking for: (This article was from 10/2018 a year after Jerruh tried to get rid of Goodell)

(In 2017) Jones hired prominent attorney David Boies and threatened to sue to block Goodell’s contract extension. He later backed off that threat and didn’t file a lawsuit. Goodell’s five-year extension, which runs through 2024 and pays him as much as an estimated $40 million per season, was completed and went into effect. The owners on the NFL’s compensation committee accused Jones of conduct detrimental to the league, and the NFL ordered Jones to repay its legal expenses for the episode.

The matter was portrayed as an attempt by Jones to oust Goodell as commissioner, although Jones said at the time his goal was to make the process of determining the commissioner’s pay more inclusive of all owners rather than being left only to those owners on the compensation committee.

————

Jones was asked if he now is squarely in Goodell’s corner.

“Well, I am,” Jones said. “I am. Because it’s my corner. He has such a wealth now of experience and intellectual knowledge. I like some of the things we’ve done. …What he has done since he’s been commissioner — the transparency aspect, from an ownership standpoint, has been dramatic. It’s more transparent. Just the way that decisions, the involvement in the decisions by ownership, how they’re arrived at, the logic that we use to arrive at them — all of that is at a plus. Candidly I just am energized to the point that I just want to do more. But we’ve always been that way.”
——————-

uh huh. This is how Goodell works. Jerruh attempted to get rid of Goodell in 2017 and in 2018 he’s singing his praises. Today he mumbled some bs about how they are all accountable. Yeppers. Y’all are all accountable (under his thumb) to Goodell and he’s got the receipts to prove it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mole said:

I’m not surprised that Gruden is a dirtbag or that he’s foolish enough to put his terrible worldview in writing through an official and easily accessible medium. That’s no surprise, but why so chatty over email? 

Whomever he emailed didn’t call him out over it and say, “Hey, that’s not okay.” That should be an issue too, shouldn’t it?

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Whomever he emailed didn’t call him out over it and say, “Hey, that’s not okay.” That should be an issue too, shouldn’t it?

The guy he was emailing, Bruce Allen, as president of the Washington Redskins during a time period where they operated their cheerleading squad as a de facto escort service, is under investigation for shit more serious than failing to call out somebody's dumb bullshit

• Hook 'Em 1

Not a big Dan Patrick fan (he was at his best on sports nite and ESPN fucking ruined that pairing with Keith) but I am a fan of what Mike Florio has been doing with the WFT story. He’s basically been the only one since July of this year continuously pounding the drum that Goodell and the NFL need to be transparent with the investigation of the WFT. He’s spot on and if you got nothing else to do it’s worth a watch. Mike has literally been saying this for months. He’s absolutely right!

https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/1448102186030878720?s=21

Edited by Nicole44

• Deej changed the title to Well, bye, Jon Gruden