This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

21 hours ago, Thatguy said:

However, no one accounts for the blitzing DB and he and he alone blows up the play. I am not sure who was at fault, but it wasn't blocked well. Chalk that up to an inexperienced line.

No, I am not going to chalk up Jones' inability to make a literally impossible block on a blitzing DB to an 'inexperienced line'. I'm chalking up to a terrible play call against a loaded box with a safety sprinting upfield in perfect position to blow up a call that should never have been made against that front. Pin and pull is for when the LBs are firing inside, not against a nine-man box where a fleet-footed safety can jump the edge before the tackle can reach him.

Edited by satyanash

Outscored 34-6 in the 2nd half the last 2 games.

Watching the games it's easy to blame the defense and they deserve some criticism for sure.  Their inability to get key stops on third down is obvious.

But whatever this staff is doing on offense in the second half of games isn't working and hasn't worked all season

Outside of the 3 blowouts, we've been outscored in every second half we've played

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

No, I am not going to chalk up Jones' inability to make a literally impossible block on a blitzing DB to an 'inexperienced line'. I'm chalking up to a terrible play call against a loaded box with a safety sprinting upfield in perfect position to blow up a call that should never have been made against that front. Pin and pull is for when the LBs are firing inside, not against a nine-man box where a fleet-footed safety can jump the edge before the tackle can reach him.

Huh? It's pin and pull. When the DB comes to the line of scrimmage he is the new edge, and the guy that needs to be pinned inside. That looks like it is Sanders' job by covered vs uncovered rules, and he turns him loose. It looks like CJ was pulling, which means if Sanders does his job then CJ is coming around to deal with the safety, not having to deal with the edge.  That leaves whoever is left pursuing to try and get to Bijan before he gets 4. Good luck getting through the was and getting Bijan down on first contact. Everyone is doing their job except Sanders from what I can see. You are only as good as your weakest link. 

Also, in case you didn't know, this the EXACT kind of front that was designed to deal with loaded boxes. That's literally what it was created for. This and the read game is what offensive coordinators invented to render stacked boxes useless. We just didn't execute. Below is what the play looks like when done correctly. 

Pay close attention to the TE. The edge is shaded outside, so his first step must be to his left to get his outside shoulder turned inside. If you see what the play is designed to do its to wall off the edge of the defense, pitch it outside, and get numbers out in front of the ball carrier. Who is in the box doesn't matter. You can even turn the backside DE completely loose because he is out of the play. All that matters is pinning/setting the edge and dealing with a couple stragglers. On our play below the line didn't change the blocking rules once the edge changed. Go to 5:30 on the video. Watch what Sanders does and how it implodes the whole play. This is why we fold in the second half. No matter the call someone panics and does something like this. 

First pic(second pic is 1st, they got switched) below you can see what their responsibilities were by what they did. If you ask me once the new edge spins down Jones and Sanders are covered so Hutson should pull. Everyone is turning their man inside. Whitt is coming across the formation to take on the leading tackler at the second level. That sets a wall on the first and second levels with an O-lineman coming to put a body on the DB, the only defender left. The rest of the guys are NOT beating Bijan to the corner. 

Second pic you can see how it would've worked. Wall is set. There is an alley for Bijan to run through, with a two way go depending on which side the only DB left decided to take around the block he would've gotten. 4 yards for sure. Maybe even to the house if Whitt can muck up the pursuit well enough. 

2.png

1.png

Edited by Thatguy

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Nine-man box aside, I'm not sure it was a terrible call so much as a call that K-State made sure to not allow to succeed in the second half, since our longest play of the game came on this call in the first half, and the formation and short motion by Sanders are very conspicuous.

Though I'd prefer counter or split zone if they're going to overload the side that our TE is on.

It's also curious that we had 11 personnel out there when we pretty clearly wanted to run the ball. Once K-State overloaded the TE side, our options for checking to another run were somewhat limited.

Edited by TotallyLegit

19 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

Lol. It is still pin and pull you know that right? Just a modification of it. You are still pinning and pulling. But you are dead right that we gained big in the first half with it. But of course, as it almost always happens, we failed to execute in the second half due to a small adjustment by the defense. It's almost as if these guys KNOW the plays, but DON'T KNOW how to sight adjust when teams counter. 

4 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

But this guy calls it pin & pull, so maybe I'm just being a pedantic asshole.

We are all assholes around here so you fit like a glove. 

Why did Surly just combine my two posts?

Edited by Thatguy

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

If you're seriously blaming Christian Jones for failing to get around on a safety sprinting straight up the bloody field while trying to reach block, you don't understand basic physics. Spin it however you want, against a nine-man box with safeties up that play is doomed to fail every time. It's not comparable at all to the first time we ran the play, the defensive alignment is completely different. It was a very bad play call in a game full of them.

Yes I would like to see us throw over the box but last week OSU was keying on the run and we failed, we couldn't complete the passes. So this week we clearly were just going to put the ball in Bijan's hands regardless. And we burned clock and didn't turn it over and put our defense in a decent position to win the game. So there is a context to doing it against a nine-man box, a decision was made based on past results perhaps. Though Sark did kind of say that was the case in the post game press conference.

Now I sure hope we find a way to loosen defenses up once they start stacking the box. I don't know what the problem is exactly. Just underclassmen getting nerves late in games? It seemed like against Oklahoma State whenever Ewers would throw a good pass in the second half the receiver would just drop it. If Sark suspects those kinds nerves and lack of clutch can be expected from Ewers and the receivers than I guess maybe giving it to Bijan against a nine man front is the lesser of two evils.

After all that is what we did against Iowa State, just ran the ball and that did give us the go ahead TD (well Ewers did have to throw on the last play of the drive). 

So Ewers drops back and is under heavy pressure and throws it to X who then drops it and we are punting without running clock or forcing them to use a time out and this or something like it is a likely scenario, then is it a very bad play call to go with Bijan? That's the context.

Hopefully Ewers and the passing game makes the play next time they have a shot late in the game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Honestly this is good news for Texas

The offensive play calling and offensive line play is now suspect at Alabama, two years after we took their play caller and OL coarch.

Win the rig 12

Win the bowl game

Hang around for a while Sark

ut_mascot_hook_em1.jpg

Yes I would like to see us throw over the box but last week OSU was keying on the run and we failed, we couldn't complete the passes. So this week we clearly were just going to put the ball in Bijan's hands regardless. And we burned clock and didn't turn it over and put our defense in a decent position to win the game. So there is a context to doing it against a nine-man box, a decision was made based on past results perhaps. Though Sark did kind of say that was the case in the post game press conference.
Now I sure hope we find a way to loosen defenses up once they start stacking the box. I don't know what the problem is exactly. Just underclassmen getting nerves late in games? It seemed like against Oklahoma State whenever Ewers would throw a good pass in the second half the receiver would just drop it. If Sark suspects those kinds nerves and lack of clutch can be expected from Ewers and the receivers than I guess maybe giving it to Bijan against a nine man front is the lesser of two evils.
After all that is what we did against Iowa State, just ran the ball and that did give us the go ahead TD (well Ewers did have to throw on the last play of the drive). 
So Ewers drops back and is under heavy pressure and throws it to X who then drops it and we are punting without running clock or forcing them to use a time out and this or something like it is a likely scenario, then is it a very bad play call to go with Bijan? That's the context.

Versus KState an incompletion would not have been a huge deal. Getting a first down was key. Play fake throw to Sanders in the left flat. Likely the perfect call. Low risk of a pick. KState got it back with 2:40 to go. I was thinking they still had a timeout or two as well.
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Versus KState an incompletion would not have been a huge deal. Getting a first down was key. Play fake throw to Sanders in the left flat. Likely the perfect call. Low risk of a pick. KState got it back with 2:40 to go. I was thinking they still had a timeout or two as well.

We made them burn a time out and ran two minutes off the clock. Taking it from 4:26 to 2:30 without getting a first down. K-State got it back with 2:30 left. 

When they fumbled at our 43 there were 24 seconds to go.

I would say it appears to me being able to run those two minutes off the clock was huge. Even if we didn't get that fumble time was running out on K-State.

So I am not convinced by the assertion that an incompletion would not have been a huge deal.

Edited by Valmy77

Their play calling, timeout usage would have adjusted most likely had they gotten it back with different time. As a play caller, you should assume the opponent will not do a crappy job with clock management. 3:20 or 2:40 is plenty of time to travel and score. They’d have 1 or 2 timeouts.

Had we gotten a first, when and if they get the ball back, they have no timeouts and less time with likely more distance to travel.

In that situation, there should be a very low risk of interception and low risk of incompletion. In fact QE is 80% completion under 10 yards, about 1.4% interception. It should less risky in this situation cause he should take a sack if need be. It’s not a question of throwing on 3 downs but selectively choosing one passing down.

Ewers with a short pass to a wide open tight end would’ve been successful
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Ewers with a short pass to a wide open tight end would’ve been successful

Maybe. But they did have nine guys near the line of scrimmage. Would our guy be wide open for a short pass? Clearly this is what they were expecting as they called the time out after second down expecting a chance to force an incomplete pass on 3rd. 

I think if we wanted a guy wide open, we would need to go downfield a bit.

I don't know. Hopefully in a similar situation we are able to trust our passing game to make the play next time.

Edited by Valmy77

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Assuming you're taking the formation as a given and you mean like an RPO look, I agree, this could be a good call. I think K-State was in man coverage with #2 and #29 blitzing. Sending Sanders to the opposite flat and could have allowed us to option off #29.

Assuming you're taking the formation as a given and you mean like an RPO look, I agree, this could be a good call. I think K-State was in man coverage with #2 and #29 blitzing. Sending Sanders to the opposite flat and could have allowed us to option off #29.

Yes same formation. Quinn’s pretty quick to decide. Throws from different angles. Might need to give a little ground. Right up his alley.

Visitor list this weekend. I know it’s recruiting, but that’s a big part of HC job. Vasek just committed and Hill has been fong’d to us.

Still got to win this weekend, but if we do, our middling HC will probably have some more really nice toys to play with next year.

83832f366830713fc953f83fa2cbbc92.jpg

Peyton Bowen 5* is a maybe as well

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Visitor list this weekend. I know it’s recruiting, but that’s a big part of HC job. Vasek just committed and Hill has been fong’d to us.

Still got to win this weekend, but if we do, our middling HC will probably have some more really nice toys to play with next year.

83832f366830713fc953f83fa2cbbc92.jpg

Peyton Bowen 5* is a maybe as well

Here’s hoping we win, get all those targets, and Sark can tell me to fuck off 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1