Captain Kirk Finally Goes Into Space (90 year-old William Shatner on a Blue Origin rocket - 9:30am this morning)

atomheartbevo

• atomheartbevo changed the title to Captain Kirk Finally Goes Into Space (Shatner on a Blue Origin rocket - 9:30am this morning)

CNN

Retired NASA astronaut Scott Kelly joined CNN prior to the launch of the Blue Origin rocket. He said that the crew's experience today will be like "an amusement park ride on steroids." 

"I think what they're getting ready to experience is basically an amusement park ride on steroids. It will probably be the greatest ride of their lives," Kelly said.

Kelly joined CNN on air during a hold on the launch, which the company is saying is due to vehicle readiness. 

Kelly speculated that the hold could be for a number of "normal" things like "a failure of some hardware or software. It could also be paperwork." 

Kelly was asked about a reported letter that was signed by 21 current and former employees of Blue Origin in which they raised safety concerns and said they wouldn't be comfortable getting on a Blue Origin flight.

He said that anytime somebody gets on a rocket "there should be a little bit of pause." 

"If they didn't, I don't think they would be human, you know? It is just such an unnatural act. So, of course, when something like that comes out, I think, you know, if I was the crew member on board, I would look into it thoroughly. And then, you know, make a decision from there," Kelly said.

• atomheartbevo changed the title to Captain Kirk Finally Goes Into Space (90 year-old William Shatner on a Blue Origin rocket - 9:30am this morning)