Captain Kirk Finally Goes Into Space (90 year-old William Shatner on a Blue Origin rocket - 9:30am this morning)

atomheartbevo

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, that was extremely cool. Props to him for being openly emotional about it.

If I'd don the lottery thing, I'd opt for a SpaceX flight.

I didn't say I'd have chosen Blue Origin over SpaceX, just that I'd spend some of that $400mm on riding the rocket.  Would def be SpaceX as they're in my backyard and I'd rather not dickride my way into space.  

4 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

somewhere Sulu is furiously watching the TV having hoped for Shattners death.

How long has that fued been going on? I remember Takai on Letterman proudly talking about being the commander of the Excelsior and being the one to save Kirk and the Enterprise in Undiscovered County. He seemed really satisfied that Shatner had to say a line praising Sulu's ship. I mean he was really proud. I think Letterman reminded him it was make believe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, F250 said:

How long has that fued been going on? I remember Takai on Letterman proudly talking about being the commander of the Excelsior and being the one to save Kirk and the Enterprise in Undiscovered County. He seemed really satisfied that Shatner had to say a line praising Sulu's ship. I mean he was really proud. I think Letterman reminded him it was make believe.

Takei

Its Real To Me GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

There's so many great climbs around the world that are 99.9% safe if you're in decent shape and aren't a moron. Hell, there's dozens in Colorado. 

The problem with Everest is that when things go bad they go really bad. And you can be an expert and have the best guides in the world and things can still go bad. 

There are plenty of climbs that are technically much much harder than Everest. Anybody who has a decent amount of alpine experience can submit Everest, but yes there is a whole lot of stuff that can go wrong. But there is a whole lot more that can go wrong summiting any other number of mountains in the area that haven't been figured out yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

There are plenty of climbs that are technically much much harder than Everest. Anybody who has a decent amount of alpine experience can submit Everest, but yes there is a whole lot of stuff that can go wrong. But there is a whole lot more that can go wrong summiting any other number of mountains in the area that haven't been figured out yet.

You're speaking completely out of context. Safer than Everest does not mean safe. Some of the mountains that you're talking about kill every 4th to 6th climber up them. 

So - compared to strapping a 90 year old down and blasting him up and back down without issue - yeah, it's kind of different. 

I'd much rather go up to space on one of the Amazon or Tesla rockets than try and climb fucking K2 or Annapurna. That shit is fucking suicide. Summiting Everest is still way more dangerous than what Shatner did today.  

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

You're speaking completely out of context. Safer than Everest does not mean safe. Some of the mountains that you're talking about kill every 4th to 6th climber up them. 

So - compared to strapping a 90 year old down and blasting him up and back down without issue - yeah, it's kind of different. 

I'd much rather go up to space on one of the Amazon or Tesla rockets than try and climb fucking K2 or Annapurna. That shit is fucking suicide. Summiting Everest is still way more dangerous than what Shatner did today.  

You can't really compare climbing in Colorado (even Alpine climbing) with Everest. That's like comparing climbing in the gym with big wall climbing at Yosemite. But I don't think we really disagree. The only caveat I would say is we really don't have much of a sample size for shooting folks into space in the top of Jeff Bezos' dick. And they also try to weed out the folks who might die before blasting them into space, whereas there've been plenty of people who should have no business even going to the base camp summit Everest because they get so much help from the sherpas and outfitters.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Does anyone know a bookie taking bets on which of these billionaire’s toys will be the first to explode and kill a celebrity crew member?

When you think about it, it's pretty ballsy.  One small accident could set your whole program back in terms of time, but also a shitload of money from lost publicity and lost revenue.

Bezos was probably hugging him out of sheer delight that it went okay.

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you knew the history of Shatner and his ST cast mates, it'd be more understandable why most of them don't like Shatner.

There is a reason everyone in the Star Trek cast had issues with Shatner, he is a selfish prick. He freaking snubbed Nimoy's funeral. Captain Kirk needed to be at Spock's funeral. Takei does seem to be a bit bitchy. Some of the shit he complained about seemed petty but then Shatner was a dick for initiating the petty acts.

I always thought it was silly for Takei to be upset over Sulu not being promoted to a Starship captain because it's not real thing. I guess you could argue it didn't allow for a bigger role but they always ended up on the Enterprise together anyways.

8 hours ago, F250 said:

There is a reason everyone in the Star Trek cast had issues with Shatner, he is a selfish prick. He freaking snubbed Nimoy's funeral. Captain Kirk needed to be at Spock's funeral. Takei does seem to be a bit bitchy. Some of the shit he complained about seemed petty but then Shatner was a dick for initiating the petty acts.

I always thought it was silly for Takei to be upset over Sulu not being promoted to a Starship captain because it's not real thing. I guess you could argue it didn't allow for a bigger role but they always ended up on the Enterprise together anyways.

I’m sure Shatner is and was a massive tool bag. Takei might need to step back and realize that he wouldn’t have anything approaching a career if it weren’t for his largely superfluous supporting role in the movies. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, F250 said:

My recollection was Shatner was previously committed to a fundraising event and decided to honor that commitment rather than attend the funeral.

Shatner did bust his ass to make a career outside of Star Trek and never took himself too seriously. He's one of the hardest working guys out there. The others (aside from Nimoy possibly) suckled from the convention teat and road that horse till it dropped. Of course Shatner has an ego. They all did/do.

Just saying, George Takei is a bitchy, no talent hack who was handed the role by luck and has done nothing with his career since. He became relevant again as an aging gay man on twitter.

The fact that we're talking about him in a thread that should have nothing to do with him just shows what a leach he really is.

Edited by ChickenNuggets
  • Hook 'Em 1

Shatner did bust his ass to make a career outside of Star Trek and never took himself too seriously. He's one of the hardest working guys out there. The others (aside from Nimoy possibly) suckled from the convention teat and road that horse till it dropped. Of course Shatner has an ego. They all did/do.
Just saying, George Takei is a bitchy, no talent hack who was handed the role by luck and has done nothing with his career since. He became relevant again as an aging gay man on twitter.
The fact that we're talking about him in a thread that should have nothing to do with him just shows what a leach he really is.

I kind of lived the Young Guns (Billy the Kid) advice, I never stole a horse from someone I didn’t like. If I didn’t like them, I’d just leave them alone.

Takei seems to be obsessed with Shatner.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Didn’t he write a pretty prolific Mech Wars series or something?

Not a one trick pony. 

On 10/13/2021 at 1:20 PM, 'stache said:

Seriously though, why did they make it look like a dick? They knew it looked like a dick on paper. Why did they do that? Was it to make sure it would make the rounds everywhere? All attention is good attention maybe? His toy  looks like a fucking dick and that's all I can think of when I think of Bezos now.

Have you seen the Amazon logo?