Captain Kirk Finally Goes Into Space (90 year-old William Shatner on a Blue Origin rocket - 9:30am this morning)

atomheartbevo

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What the fuck is she babbling about stories and art coming out of this?

for fuck's sake, they were weightless for a few minutes. 

Alan Bean ain't getting out of that capsule.

Yeah, i realize that the word astronaut is just a word, but it seems criminal to use the same descriptor for these yahoos as we do shuttle crews, apollo crews, etc...

Also, lulz at Bezos throwing on the same blue uni. 

Also, also, Shatner may blow Bezos on camera.

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, everyone else was jumping around and screaming and he really needed to just walk to the side and quietly contemplate the experience. It was clear he was pretty moved. 

Bezos looks like a villain from the next Austin Powers movie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

If anybody is in Van Horn in West Texas, are you all able to watch it?

Used to be you could drive out on Highway whatever north of Van Horn and see the rocket from the road (couldn't actually see it on the launchpad) after it gained some altitude. Then they stopped announcing the test launches in advance, probably because of the clusterfuck of on-lookers on a public HW. I would bet that now they are probably closing the HW to everyone but local traffic around launch time. Local traffic would be Blue Origin employees and maybe Old Rancher Joe pulling his trailer at 35 mph.

Its still an hour or so from Van Horn, so I doubt you could see much from town during the day.

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Yeah, i realize that the word astronaut is just a word, but it seems criminal to use the same descriptor for these yahoos as we do shuttle crews, apollo crews, etc...

Astrotourist

• Hook 'Em 2

On a long enough timeline everything becomes commonplace. How many people summit Everest every year now?

Seriously though, why did they make it look like a dick? They knew it looked like a dick on paper. Why did they do that? Was it to make sure it would make the rounds everywhere? All attention is good attention maybe? His toy  looks like a fucking dick and that's all I can think of when I think of Bezos now.

56 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

On a long enough timeline everything becomes commonplace. How many people summit Everest every year now?

Not a lot. This is way easier than summiting Everest - and a lot fucking safer. 

Your point remains, though.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not a lot. This is way easier than summiting Everest - and a lot fucking safer. 

Your point remains, though.

I'd be good with getting to the base, having a giant plug of Redman, and leaving my stain for the rest of the world to see......much like we all do here on Surly.  

x7C5fP.gif

Edited by BabaYaga

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

I'd be good with getting to the base, having a giant plug of Redman, and leaving my stain for the rest of the world to see......much like we all do here on Surly.  

There's so many great climbs around the world that are 99.9% safe if you're in decent shape and aren't a moron. Hell, there's dozens in Colorado. 

The problem with Everest is that when things go bad they go really bad. And you can be an expert and have the best guides in the world and things can still go bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Was pretty cool to see him so emotionally overwhelmed by the experience.   Had I won powerball last week, damn straight I would’ve wasted $25mm or whatever on rocket boosters and blow.   

Yeah, that was extremely cool. Props to him for being openly emotional about it.

If I'd don the lottery thing, I'd opt for a SpaceX flight.