Texas BBQ

Washpark

8 hours ago, futureman said:

it’s open and a beautiful day here.  no line either.  

black box was great.  nice little spot in the shade just off the square.  hadn’t seen john in a couple years, he was super friendly as usual.  talked to him for a bit and he said he hadn’t slept in three days and he really looked it.  worried about the guy.  he lives hard. 

Edited by futureman

A couple of years ago my dad brought me some Bodacious Mobberly BBQ. Was 4 hours old by the time he got here with it. Was still amazing.

I went there shortly after that, was there at the open. Everything was real good but not wow.

A couple of days ago got there about 2:30 got some of the last brisket. OMG incredible. The bark was perfect, just some of the best brisket ever. They also had a Bucks BBQ sticker on the door, the market of a quality place?

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

Snow’s was awesome. Tootsie couldn’t be nicer. Brisket was the star, followed by pork steak, ribs and chicken. Sausage isn’t my cup of tea but was still good. What a goddamn good way to spend a Sat. Alarm at 5, at buddy’s by 5:40 and in line by 8:45. Sitting down with food about 10:15. Drink beer. Hang out and get tour from Tootsie. Back in Dallas by 2:45.

d82fd8a3bfe30a957b340843c98b9fa9.jpg

6509feab5dc60ac721f6f48ac42586ee.jpg

a90da323b1b9f49d6c865f8fd8417f0f.jpg

f1aee505f0881930fc7e62b9325dd6ac.jpg

d4543b801278aa78d5246b92b4662eb2.jpg

9034e3262d97d4de2b73a38f87df306f.jpg

Dude, that’s badass.  Did she remember you?

Next time you go @C-Man get the turkey...tootsie has best turkey in texas also

One of my buddies got some. It was a little dry. Cattleack has the best turkey IMO. Tootsie is awesome and that’s the best bbq experience going if you ask me. I think there’s a couple places with just slightly better BBQ. Brisket was incredible, though.
  • Like 1

One of my buddies got some. It was a little dry. Cattleack has the best turkey IMO. Tootsie is awesome and that’s the best bbq experience going if you ask me. I think there’s a couple places with just slightly better BBQ. Brisket was incredible, though.
Blasphemy!!!!

Na, but for real shit is amazing
Not sure if tootsie has off days but the times i have been turkey plus everything has been great...i am the type to get there right at open so i dont know if thats a factor...i want the stuff right out of the smoker

And now for something completely different . . . 

The wife and I went to a event centered around North Carolina barbecue.  Specifically a new book by Sam Jones and Daniel Vaughn - Whole Hog BBQ; The Gospel of North Carolina Barbecue.  Bought a book, talked with Sam Jones, and had some whole hog barbecue.  Barbecue was cooked by the folks at Banger's in Austin using the recipes from Sam Jones.  The whole hog was really good, something the Banger's does some Saturdays.  If you are interested in getting some whole hog, I'd recommend both Banger's and LeRoy & Lewis.

Yesterday, I made two racks of spare ribs using Sam Jones rub and sweet sauce and Sam Jones baked beans.  It was a nice change from the Central Texas heavily peppered brisket and beef ribs.

• Like 3

Also went by Hay Co this weekend.

Brisket was good, ribs and sausage were ok (my dad says it might have been better if warmer, food was not cold at best).

I haven’t been to the “top places in Texas” where would y’all say this falls?

8cbb7044bd38a72376352faa7f10727b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Air_Matt said:

Brisket was good, ribs and sausage were ok (my dad says it might have been better if warmer, food was not cold at best).

I wouldnt put it in the "top" tier but its solid and consistent. You can do way worse.

34 minutes ago, Air_Matt said:

Was there last Friday.  My dad did not like the sausage at all. I thought it was ok, but the consistency was kinda mushy.  Ribs were OK. Brisket was very good, especially the lean.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Was there last Friday.  My dad did not like the sausage at all. I thought it was ok, but the consistency was kinda mushy.  Ribs were OK. Brisket was very good, especially the lean.

Your dad likes my sausage.

Er...wait...I think I might be doing this wrong.

2 hours ago, Air_Matt said:

i mean, it's in the Top 50. It isn't in the top 10 or maybe even in the top 20 but it is good and solid for what it is

edit: their score in the 2017 Top 50 of 4.5 put them in the top 25

Edited by NoName

On 6/8/2019 at 11:40 PM, Robin Masters said:

A couple of years ago my dad brought me some Bodacious Mobberly BBQ. Was 4 hours old by the time he got here with it. Was still amazing.

I went there shortly after that, was there at the open. Everything was real good but not wow.

A couple of days ago got there about 2:30 got some of the last brisket. OMG incredible. The bark was perfect, just some of the best brisket ever. They also had a Bucks BBQ sticker on the door, the market of a quality place?

Place is legit. 

BRACKETround2-1600x0-c-default.jpg

Not surprised by the first round voting, but John Mueller is better than Cooper's and LeRoy & Lewis is significantly better than Kreuz.  I haven't been to Brett's Backyard, but it would have to be extremely good to be better then Micklethwait.  There is no damn way Reveille is better than Tejas.  It's clear that the newbies got out the vote.

In this round, both the Snow's/Evie Mae's and Franklin/Truth match ups are tough calls. 

Not surprised by the first round voting, but John Mueller is better than Cooper's and LeRoy & Lewis is significantly better than Kreuz.  I haven't been to Brett's Backyard, but it would have to be extremely good to be better then Micklethwait.  There is no damn way Reveille is better than Tejas.  It's clear that the newbies got out the vote.
In this round, both the Snow's/Evie Mae's and Franklin/Truth match ups are tough calls. 

Glad you said this. Was thinking the same thing.

1 hour ago, mushroomface said:

I've been to Reveille once, and it was very good. Absolutely not better than Tejas, however.

I haven't been to Reveille so I probably shouldn't have made an absolute statement, but I put Tejas in my top 5, so Reveille would have to be really damn good.  I'm happy to have another great barbecue joint, though.

12 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

How is La Barbecue not in that bracket? And how did Leroy & Lewis not get past the first round? I mean, I don’t know what Kreuz Market is, but it would have to be pretty amazing to beat Leroy & Lewis.

• Like 1

Shocking Opinion Alert 

I’ve eaten at both Snows and Evie Maes, and I’d give the edge to Evie Maes. 

Leroy & Lewis is some of the best cooked food out there, but I’m a simpleton, and would rather just go to Terry Blacks. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Final 4:

Franklins 

Louie Mueller 

La BBQ

Evie Maes 

Don't think La BBQ is in this tourney.

Picking based on the ones actually in this tournament, and still remaining, and with respect to their current brackets, my Final Four would be:

Snow's

Brotherton's

Franklin

Valentina's

I will say that I've never had Evie Mae's. 

Anyway, finally got by Leroy and Lewis for lunch today, and it's as great as advertised.  The brisket was very tasty, great cook to it, great smoke, tender, plenty of pepper, just really quite good.

But the beef cheek was really something special.  Just melts in your mouth, delicious flavor, again plenty of black pepper, fantastic all the way around.  

I grabbed a half-pound of each, which comes with bread, house-made pickles, and sauce.  I loathe pickles, but from their appearance, I'll assume Leroy and Lewis' pickle game is on point.  I didn't love the sauce, it was a beet bbq sauce but the beets probably aren't why I didn't dig it, I'm just not much of a sauce guy.

I'll definitely go back and take the whole family.  Next time around I'll try some of their new school BBQ specials but I wanted to get a meat baseline this go-round, and I was extremely impressed.  Thanks to Champ and others for the rec.

• Like 1

It is nearly impossible to compare LeRoy & Lewis with Kreuz, but not having an appreciation for old school barbecue is short sighted.  I've never had a bad meal at Kreuz, but I also don't expect to get Akaushi brisket with kimchi and beet barbecue sauce.  

This is where Kreuz comes from (actually an article 30 years after Kreuz opened):

The Kreuz Market at any time of the day will serve smoking hot barbecue on a piece of oiled paper with a supply of crackers and the customer may in addition supply himself with onions, tomatoes, coffee, soda water, near beer or even pies and cakes.

The meat and the cracker served on paper at the oven are taken by the purchaser to a table where a knife is chained and there the barbecue is cut and eaten. 

Table knives, forks or dishes are not furnished.

Lockhart Post Register June 30, 1930

• Like 1

14 hours ago, XYZ said:

Fuck Lockhart BBQ. And there’s no way any BBQ from Lockhart is better than Leroy & Lewis. No way.

I guess I need to try Leroy & Lewis brisket, because after eating there on Tuesday,  I would never choose to go back for their weekly menu. 

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Reveille = aggy dog's name

aggy loves voting in online polls. aggy votes for aggy-inspired BBQ place in Houston (I don't care whether it's aggy-owned or not). Reveille beats Tejas.

also, they make chocolate. no way they can make good BBQ, right?

/s

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I guess I need to try Leroy & Lewis brisket, because after eating there on Tuesday,  I would never choose to go back for their weekly menu. 

I have only been there on weekends.  Food was very good.  I will say I'm not a fan of the beet sauce.

I didn’t feel like being in the office so I ventured out for bbq. I really wanted to go to Pinkerton’s, but since it is closed today, I went to Truth instead. I normally don’t get bbq sandwiches, but since I have eaten there a number of times, I said what the hell. Got the El Jefe with jalapeño cheddar sausage. It was pretty damn good. I need a nap.

eGgkvXlN_o.jpeg

• Like 4