Texas BBQ

Washpark

The article said the line was around the block at open. 

The article said she was 2nd in line an hour before opening. On a Saturday. That was compared to 3 hour waits when they opened a few weeks before. It was finally long at opening. That line should be getting bigger as the rep grows.

They are in a town built on turning crap cuts like standard grade brisket and shoulder clods into bbq magic. Maybe those kinds of prices aren’t going to endear themselves to repeat clientele, or five hours a week. Tootsie is 90 and working harder.

12 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The article said she was 2nd in line an hour before opening. On a Saturday. That was compared to 3 hour waits when they opened a few weeks before. It was finally long at opening. That line should be getting bigger as the rep grows.

They are in a town built on turning crap cuts like standard grade brisket and shoulder clods into bbq magic. Maybe those kinds of prices aren’t going to endear themselves to repeat clientele, or five hours a week. Tootsie is 90 and working harder.

what?

Tootsie is amazing, but no. Clay is the one killing himself these days. also Snows is open 1 day as well?

On 7/25/2023 at 2:17 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Anyone that tells you Pinkerton’s bbq isn’t top tier, smack them. Brisket and ribs, damn perfect today. Brisket was just phenomenal ….

I'm meeting up with about 10 fraternity brothers in Houston pretty soon. Would you recommend Pinkerton's or should we go to Truth?

3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm meeting up with about 10 fraternity brothers in Houston pretty soon. Would you recommend Pinkerton's or should we go to Truth?

truth is a much much bigger space. I’d meet a group that size here 

If the weather is good, you can sit outside at Pinkerton’s 

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Barb’s ain’t Snows, and Chuck ain’t Tootsie.

you are the one that brought Tootsie up.

also give Clay the respect he deserves. no offense to Tootsie or Kerry, but he's the one doing the bulk of the work there these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, NoName said:

you are the one that brought Tootsie up.

also give Clay the respect he deserves. no offense to Tootsie or Kerry, but he's the one doing the bulk of the work there these days.

I know you're not saying otherwise, but Tootsie is still a badass.  She was still shoveling coals and moving meat when I was there last - within the past year.  Not sure what time she got there, but she was there at 5:00 am when I arrived.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

Those onion rings were the fucking TRUTH too… remember the ribs being solid as well, but I was too young to really know the difference.

for what it was, it was solid bbq. Slightly above Rudy’s, before there was a Rudy’s in Houston 

• Like 1

Headed to Merritt Meat Company in Round Top on Friday.  Anyone been?  Offshoot from owners of Truth.  I eat Truth (houston) quite a bit so what's to lose.

I don't mind eating expensive beans as long as they're made by men so I'll let y'all know the prices.

Edited by Hornbeliever

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

Just dropping in to say that Kerlaches are a gift from god to our mouth holes…

They're not bad, Desnudo coffee and either kerlaches or veracruz tacos was my go to quick breakfast. I wish they would egg to the brisket kolache, that would send it over the top

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

OH MAN. I thought these were gone when Kerlin BBQ went away, but this sparked me to research and see that they still live. What great news!

Same.  The switch from barbecue trailer to selling Kerlaches exclusively was a great idea.  I loved their barbecue, but the margins for the kolaches have to be much better than meat by the pound.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

They're not bad, Desnudo coffee and either kerlaches or veracruz tacos was my go to quick breakfast. I wish they would egg to the brisket kolache, that would send it over the top

I mean, could they be better with other fats layered in?

Yes.

Is that necessary at 8AM when I’m not hung over?

Naw fam.

Needed my barbecue fix and it was already 11:30 on a Saturday - lines would be too long at any of the widely accepted greatest barbecue joints in and around Austin.  Luckily, there are so many great barbecue places around here.  I haven't been in a while, so decided to hit Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville.  Showed up at 11:45 and walked right up to the counter.  I had a $50 gift card from some charity event, so I decided to get a family pack with half pound moist brisket, half pound pork ribs and a couple sides.  Got it to-go, since it was much more than I could eat in a sitting.  I ate one of the pork ribs and a slice of brisket while I was there, though.  Rib was cooked perfectly with a good bite and not quite fall off the bone.  Although it was a little over sauced for my liking, the flavor was good.  Brisket was seasoned well with nice bark and nicely rendered fat - as one would expect from a TM Top 50 joint.

People are not coming from out-of-town to eat at Brotherton's because there are some many other, higher profile places to chose from.  However, it is really nice to have great barbecue without the wait.  Brotherton's also has a great sandwich selection - brisket grilled cheese, pastrami Reuben, and brisket bahn mi, being the three that I have tried.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Needed my barbecue fix and it was already 11:30 on a Saturday - lines would be too long at any of the widely accepted greatest barbecue joints in and around Austin.  Luckily, there are so many great barbecue places around here.  I haven't been in a while, so decided to hit Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville.  Showed up at 11:45 and walked right up to the counter.  I had a $50 gift card from some charity event, so I decided to get a family pack with half pound moist brisket, half pound pork ribs and a couple sides.  Got it to-go, since it was much more than I could eat in a sitting.  I ate one of the pork ribs and a slice of brisket while I was there, though.  Rib was cooked perfectly with a good bite and not quite fall off the bone.  Although it was a little over sauced for my liking, the flavor was good.  Brisket was seasoned well with nice bark and nicely rendered fat - as one would expect from a TM Top 50 joint.

People are not coming from out-of-town to eat at Brotherton's because there are some many other, higher profile places to chose from.  However, it is really nice to have great barbecue without the wait.  Brotherton's also has a great sandwich selection - brisket grilled cheese, pastrami Reuben, and brisket bahn mi, being the three that I have tried.  

OK, Mr. Brotherton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lavaca BBQ is fucking great.
Victoria location

Big Red Ribs were tits

perfect brisket

damn good spicy sausage

good nana pudding

mac and cheese some of the best ive ever had

the bourbon maple pork cheesecake is incredible!

the peach cobbler was fucking bad. But the everything else was so damn good i didnt give a fuck

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lavaca BBQ is fucking great.
Victoria location

Big Red Ribs were tits

perfect brisket

damn good spicy sausage

good nana pudding

mac and cheese some of the best ive ever had

the bourbon maple pork cheesecake is incredible!

the peach cobbler was fucking bad. But the everything else was so damn good i didnt give a fuck

their port Lavaca location is pretty damn good. Why were you in Victoria ?

Edited by tx 3 putt