Texas BBQ

Washpark

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Yeah.  I try to hit every barbecue joint I can ...

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Thursday - Kona's TX Barbecue in Hutto.  Trailer that came it when Pustka's Family Barbecue moved to their brick and motor in Temple.  Moist brisket was cooking well and seasoned okay.  Pork rib was flavorful, but slightly under cooked.

Saturday - Interstellar BBQ.  Al pastor lamb chop, peach tea glazed pork belly, moist brisket, poblano creamed corn, jalapeno slaw.  Everything was excellent.  I love that they cook different items - John was starting some cabrito over open coals when I was leaving.  Got there around 10:00 and was probably 10th in line - eating by 11:15.

Sunday - Stiles Switch in Cedar Park.  Smoked wings - buffalo and peach habanero.  Smoked then flash fried to order.  Better wings than most places that specialize in wings.  Buffalo was by the better of the two.  Peach habanero was sweet with only a little heat.  I had a different sweet/hot variety a couple months ago and it was great.

2b9e4c1a-79b5-4179-a3bb-c99e3a05b958_tex

haven't been there but know Chuck puts out really top tier stuff and you might as well start high then drop the price some.
i still have no idea how their business model is going to work beyond the short term, but i hope it works out for them. i think they are good folks

Chuck is no different than most pitmasters that make really great barbecue…bad business people. Her prices on everything are really high. $30lb for turkey. $12 pint for beans, slaw, or some spaghetti. $5 for 4 tortillas. Good luck with all that. One day a week and a brisket class on some Sundays is hard to pay the bills.

Or you can go to Cousins for decent prime brisket, duroc pork, really good sausage unlimited sides for $30 all you can eat.

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Had Killen’s in the Woodlands for lunch today. Brisket was really good. A lot of bark. Sausage wasn’t good. Basically a glorified hot dog.

I drove by that place quite a lot when my son was travelling to Houston for soccer matches.  It didn't scream "authentic" to me, but I never gave it a try.

1 hour ago, DallasSooner said:

So is the LA BBQ post about first lesbian owned BBQ joint or whatever a reminder since Barb's is opening? Also Barb's BBQ prices are insane in a world where BBQ prices are already insane. 

That's how I took it.  Barb's is getting a fair amount of press related to the LGBTQ side of it.

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

Because that’s such a great reason to expect great bbq.

Yeah, that's a weird flex, but LeAnn is about as socially adept as John was, which is to say "not remotely adept".  God, she's a beating.  Whatever, just cook the fucking meat.

It’s not a flex it’s just a way of saying you’re either serving good Q or you’re not.  The “flex” is what I was responding to.  No need for it.  None at all.

‘If you’ve got webbed toes and are serving up badass brisket, your pedicure isn’t really of any consequence.

Edited by Cajun

14 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Life expectancy in the US has declined 4 straight years

Isn't that mostly because of suicide and ODs?

It looks like she was overweight if not obese and I'm assuming she drank a lot. Early 50s is young but not if you treat your body like shit (especially for men).

12 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Just saw this as well. I went to John's memorial at La BBQ with ROFLBoX. Luke duke was there along with some others.

We shared some memories of John, and had a good time. ROFL installed her new flat screen on the patio amidst constant ridicule from the uh.. ladies there. He did a good job though.

Hope Ali is doing OK. Worked with her during my stint at John's perdenales location, and she was always a class act. 

RIP LeAnn

Since Mrs. Brat graduated Taylor High School with Trish Mueller, we attended the get together for her in Taylor. That’s the last time we saw John & his sister.

(John in the left background of first pic)

8B1FC74F-AFBA-40F7-9AFB-96B7B74EDA81.jpeg

8325BF1B-DF72-4809-98A3-8335C7FBD2E1.jpeg

EC9FF2FE-C257-4814-81B6-2EDAEA04AF4E.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

The only family member mentioned was her nephew.

I think Wayne is a half sibling, or adopted. Mrs. Brat is not up to speed on all the Taylor gossip. She left town in 1963 for college and didn’t keep up with details of what her classmates were doing.