Texas BBQ

Washpark

24 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Finally made it to Interstellar today and GOOD GOD MAN this is some next level smoke! Got to speak with Hector for a bit and you can just FEEL the passion flowing through this place.

Line: Got there at 11 and joined some friends who had been waiting since 10:30 and we’re 6th in line. Were in and eating by 11:20, out the door 12:15 where the line had really died down (but nothing was sold out)

Ribs: Probably the best I’ve ever had. Just perfect, slide off the bone goodness with complex flavor throughout.

Brisket: Damn solid, expertly smoked and super tender. Top 5 for me but hard to place within that sphere.

Lamb Shoulder: Outstandingly moist and fragrant… a clear standout

Sausage: Solid with great flavor but no snap… casing was a little chewy

Burnt Ends: Some of the best I’ve had… consistent flavor with the slices and very juicy with a hearty crust

Sides: All of them were delicious, but the grits were a clear standout.

9.5/10

e085628450b6a84c0685d6fbb300ff51.jpg
7b870bf1560ee0d71d87bc065afd2ac9.jpg
2b30d080451b60a55b919268d63f7641.jpg
a5027b3af6c7a7a2dca197a000e04f9e.jpg

I don't even live that far away, and I've never been.  I need to solve that.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

Interstellar is extremely tasty, you should go post haste.

And I think the Cedar Park SS is much more consistent than the Lamar location.  I've had some real clunkers of a meal down at Lamar, but everything has been very good to excellent at the CP site.

NW Austin and CP, representing with tasty BBQ.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

For the East Texans, Sunburd is relocating to White Oak on Hwy 80. Unsure of opening but it’ll be soon. 

Well that's a bit closer to me and serves to stick it to Longview for their food truck regulation shenanigans.

Top notch!  Top notch!

Just now, dcbc said:

Well that's a bit closer to me and serves to stick it to Longview for their food truck regulation shenanigans.

Top notch!  Top notch!

Next to Crumbs and whatever. Get some pizza and brisket. My friend owns the bakery/pizza joint - they’re excited for the new neighbor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Was down in Horseshoe Bay with family this weekend and hit Helberg in Waco on the drive back to Dallas. Got some brisket, pork steak and the chicken (was told it was terrific). All was pretty good but the chicken is spectacular, like maybe the best smoked chicken I’ve ever had. I think it’s flash-fried at the last minute. Christian Rock plays over the Soundsystem — Waco gonna Waco, I guess.

848c337161efda8de98d8b44a5c93867.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 12:52 AM, Texzilla58 said:

I expect Sunbird to be vying for a top ten spot in the next top 50. Bryan is talented enough if he can maintain some location consistency.

They have a B&M location in Longview so medium term that won't be an issue.

Idk if they will be eligible for the top 50 vs new and improved.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Third visit to Rosemeyer’s BBQ (because I had to go into the fucking office due to power being out at my house). Very solid. No sausage casing issue this time. I do hate the food being served in a box though.

2371b7926957dd257885f16811e405ac.jpg

i ate the gf’s box last night, zero complaints here 

42 minutes ago, NoName said:

Not sure I can eyeroll any harder. First EVER  woman owned bbq joint in 187 years? Ever!?! Lol

...ok

FD48B604-9B2F-4FD3-B0E6-9080D02C7638.thumb.jpeg.946d5e8ca09f6a969d380d17168c94da.jpeg

I think they are the first BBQ joint and couple to be indicted in a $350k workers comp fraud scheme as well. 

hadn’t been in a while, but damn good bbq 

Not sure I can eyeroll any harder. First EVER  woman owned bbq joint in 187 years? Ever!?! Lol
...ok
FD48B604-9B2F-4FD3-B0E6-9080D02C7638.thumb.jpeg.946d5e8ca09f6a969d380d17168c94da.jpeg
I think they are the first BBQ joint and couple to be indicted in a $350k workers comp fraud scheme as well. 

I think openly lesbian is their qualifier, like that really matters in the making of barbecue. Are they going to jail or not?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Jesus

I met a business cohort there for lunch.  He was based in south SA, I'm based in Austin, it made sense.

I'm not sure it was anywhere near the best BBQ I had that month, and I don't eat BBQ all that often.  #2 in the country?  lulz

Had Rossler’s Blue Cord BBQ last week at their trailer in Harker Heights. Brisket was outstanding, had a ton of black pepper. They had two sausage offerings, all beef or jalapeño and cheese. I had the all beef which was just average. Think they do lots of pop up’s all around central Texas.

FA4005EC-BDFB-427A-A90B-027FEB3509CF.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/9/2023 at 11:34 AM, Mac8111 said:

I saw the article earlier this week.  Didn't post it because it is just crappy clickbait.  The other Texas joints that made the top 14 in the United States:  Franklin and . . . Salt Lick.

On 6/9/2023 at 12:38 PM, NoName said:

...ok

Lesbian owned, you say?  Is sausage off the menu now?

Passed through Seguin on Friday so we stopped at Burnt Bean. Line was long as fuck. They almost ran out right before we got to the counter. Brisket was as good as advertised. I was hoping to get some beef sausage, but settled for cheddar and jalapeno. It was also good. The place was nice too. Hopefully we can try it again at an earlier time. No pics but you all know what brisket and sausage look like.

16 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Had Rossler’s Blue Cord BBQ last week at their trailer in Harker Heights. Brisket was outstanding, had a ton of black pepper. They had two sausage offerings, all beef or jalapeño and cheese. I had the all beef which was just average. Think they do lots of pop up’s all around central Texas.

FA4005EC-BDFB-427A-A90B-027FEB3509CF.jpeg

that brisket looks good 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I saw the article earlier this week.  Didn't post it because it is just crappy clickbait.  The other Texas joints that made the top 14 in the United States:  Franklin and . . . Salt Lick.

Yep. The lastest trend on fecebook is all these fake local TV news station feeds with bullshit clickbait crap. I can't click them away fast enough, they just keep jamming them in the feed.

Has anyone hit Barbs-B-Q yet?  I was thinking about checking it out this weekend, but then I looked at their menu - brisket is $36 per pound ($2 more per pound than Franklin); pork ribs and turkey are $30 per pound.  That seems insane.  The business model has been questioned all along - one day a week and all.  Pricing like you've been anointed best barbecue in Texas on day one - wow.

26 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Has anyone hit Barbs-B-Q yet?  I was thinking about checking it out this weekend, but then I looked at their menu - brisket is $36 per pound ($2 more per pound than Franklin); pork ribs and turkey are $30 per pound.  That seems insane.  The business model has been questioned all along - one day a week and all.  Pricing like you've been anointed best barbecue in Texas on day one - wow.

haven't been there but know Chuck puts out really top tier stuff and you might as well start high then drop the price some.

i still have no idea how their business model is going to work beyond the short term, but i hope it works out for them. i think they are good folks

• Like 1

Thursday - Kona's TX Barbecue in Hutto.  Trailer that came it when Pustka's Family Barbecue moved to their brick and motor in Temple.  Moist brisket was cooking well and seasoned okay.  Pork rib was flavorful, but slightly under cooked.

Saturday - Interstellar BBQ.  Al pastor lamb chop, peach tea glazed pork belly, moist brisket, poblano creamed corn, jalapeno slaw.  Everything was excellent.  I love that they cook different items - John was starting some cabrito over open coals when I was leaving.  Got there around 10:00 and was probably 10th in line - eating by 11:15.

Sunday - Stiles Switch in Cedar Park.  Smoked wings - buffalo and peach habanero.  Smoked then flash fried to order.  Better wings than most places that specialize in wings.  Buffalo was by the better of the two.  Peach habanero was sweet with only a little heat.  I had a different sweet/hot variety a couple months ago and it was great. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That seems like a really bad pricing strategy to me.

22 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Yeah.  I try to hit every barbecue joint I can and my first reaction was - fuck that.

not saying it's a great idea but it is easier to start high then drop.

then again with being open one day a week they have to squeeze every dollar of profit out of the business - which is hard enough to do if you are open 5 days a week and use basically all your trimmings/extras like L&L does. idk how you can hope to stay open medium to long term on 1 day a week.

i just don't see how they stay open 1 day a week. fully expect them to add an additional day or hours in the next 30 days as part of their opening strategy.

Edited by NoName

Starting prices high and then dropping them would come across as an indication that the product is inferior.  Starting a little low and then rasing prices is a pretty familiar tactic for consumers to grasp -- costs are a little higher than expected, inflation, yada yada yada.

Any restaurant should be capitalized sufficiently to survive buildout/pre-open and the first few months of business.  I know that's not the way it often works out, but it should be the intention.

• Hook 'Em 1