Texas BBQ

Washpark

What’s the line like at 1701 at noon on a Friday? That is usually when my wife and I are driving through Beaumont to get to her in-laws. I’f I can say that would be a short stop, I’d finally get to go (bringing a 2 month and 2 year old in tow changes shit lol)

I’m not sure. I have been there several times on Fridays but always arrived before or at 11am. Line can be deep. Like 20+. I really wish I could say it would be a short stop but I doubt it. They cook some amazing bbq.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m not sure. I have been there several times on Fridays but always arrived before or at 11am. Line can be deep. Like 20+. I really wish I could say it would be a short stop but I doubt it. They cook some amazing bbq.

Thanks, that what I figured. I’m not fond of getting off the interstate in that part of Texas anyway as the last time we pulled over in Orange to let our dog (RIP) take a piss some hoodlums got in our car and tried to steal my wife’s purse, so that’s literally the only landmark in the area I could get her to pull over. Maybe when I take the day off and we can work it into being our lunch stop

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

What’s the line like at 1701 at noon on a Friday? That is usually when my wife and I are driving through Beaumont to get to her in-laws. I’f I can say that would be a short stop, I’d finally get to go (bringing a 2 month and 2 year old in tow changes shit lol)

In my experiences, it feels like there is a rush at 11 with all the Exxon and other refinery support workers, then a lull around 1130-1145 and then a second wave with the lawyers and downtown people. The last few times I’ve been in there I’ve barely had to wait.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

Is Merritt Meats run by Truth?  Isn't that right?  Sure looks like it from the pics. 

yes, it is!

https://roundtop.com/restaurants-bars/round-top-smokehouse-reopens-merritt-meat-company-tribute-lee-ellis/

In a move that has sparked more than a little excitement among locals and regular Round Top visitors alike, Truth Barbecue has purchased the Roundtop Smokehouse and reopened the beloved Henkel Square restaurant under the name Merritt Meat Company in tribute to former owner Lee Ellis, who passed away in March. 

New owners Abbie Byrom-Botello and Leonard Botello used Ellis’ middle name Merritt for their new restaurant in a nod to the larger-than-life Round Top legend. Ellis and his wife Melissa launched multiple local businesses together, including popular watering hole Ellis Motel Emporium & Lounge and the adjacent Round Top Smokehouse.

“This is our way of honoring his vision for the smokehouse,” Byrom-Botello says about the name selection. “Fun fact — we even carved his initials into fresh concrete laid after we remodeled the entryway/ordering area.

“He is very much a part of Leonard and I and this smokehouse.” 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

its been a couple years since my last one.  was expecting a smaller dude to take a lot less time and i fucked up my fire management.  the amount of non-rendered fat in the point disgusts me.  im ashamed.

Looks pretty good.  Needs to be in the All things brisket thread, though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

its been a couple years since my last one.  was expecting a smaller dude to take a lot less time and i fucked up my fire management.  the amount of non-rendered fat in the point disgusts me.  im ashamed.

You should be more upset with the thickness of those slices. Lawd.

2 hours ago, tigol said:

You should be more upset with the thickness of those slices. Lawd.

its just for me. thicker i cut it the faster it goes.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Looks pretty good.  Needs to be in the All things brisket thread, though.

and yes, i f'd up.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Not to the level of Texas' top joints, but pretty good. 

Speak for yourself; I've had plenty of supposed top joints and I think Louie Mueller is top three and second only to Franklin's in the Austin area. 

I'd sure as hell recommend it over Snow's. 

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

How much did lunch cost today at LM?

$42.  Brisket was $32 per pound and the sausage links were $4.50 each.  I don't remember the price for the pork ribs or the sides.

28 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Speak for yourself; I've had plenty of supposed top joints and I think Louie Mueller is top three and second only to Franklin's in the Austin area. 

I'd sure as hell recommend it over Snow's. 

What I had today was not to the level of Truth, Evie Mae's, Franklin, Interstellar, Reese Bros., Burnt Bean, Terry Blacks, or Micklethwait.  It was good barbecue that I would recommend to anyone, especially if they want the true Texas barbecue experience.  

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I love LM's.  It surpassed Smitty's years ago in my "going for the combination of food and ambience" sweepstatkes.  Plus, when available, their beef ribs crush.

I've been to Smitty's more recently than LM, which is to say I was last at Smitty's around 2015 or so.  A friend went to Smitty's a couple years ago and said that it's gotten better after a widely-reported dip in quality. 

We recently moved to the Buda area and I was excited to hit up Valentina's. I started going to the food truck years ago but stopped mostly due to the long lines and wait.

Welp, we've gone the new spot twice the last month, and it's a very mixed bag at best.

First trip was on a Friday night in August and the place was packed. The line was long just after 8pm, and there were still no tables available. So we vultured around around the bar and got lucky to grab two seats.

Most of the meats were sold out. The guacamole was sold out. We put in an order for what was available, but if we weren't also having drinks, we would have just left. It took over an hour for two tacos and a side to arrive. I had to ask the bartender (who was great) twice.

The food finally arrived and it was barely warm. Quality was okay, but without guac on my taco it was disappointing. It all arrived about 20 minutes before closing.

I started going to the food truck years ago, and it earned its reputation for me. It was slow too, but nothing this ridiculous.

Second trip was mildly improved. This was an afternoon so it was less busy and the food arrived sooner. Some was still sold out. Food arrived warmer.

So there's some hope but it looks like they're getting raked on reviews from people who don't have any buffer of memories of the prime food truck days.

Also, get off my lawn, but the music in the place is like dance club loud. Can't hear shit and and can't talk to anyone without yelling.

They seem to be desperate for some sort of hip hangout vibe and it's a terrible customer experience.

Maybe growing pains for their first brick and mortar but these visits were within the last month, not right when they opened.

Hopefully they get it all organized and run like an actual restaurant because right now it's a bit of a mess.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lennox bbq, Harrisburg in 2nd ward

IMG_6622.thumb.jpeg.a7398f58fb2dade8e5fafe0f594fbbd9.jpeg

you walk into that door and you’re in the kitchen, lol. They tell you to walk to the office to order. I’m guessing this place does catering. Is it elite, hell no. Maybe good, but the potato was damn great, just that with butter and sides is a meal. Ordered chopped beef and chopped sausage on a potato. 

it wasn’t bad. 

IMG_6623.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Lennox bbq, Harrisburg in 2nd ward

IMG_6622.thumb.jpeg.a7398f58fb2dade8e5fafe0f594fbbd9.jpeg

you walk into that door and you’re in the kitchen, lol. They tell you to walk to the office to order. I’m guessing this place does catering. Is it elite, hell no. Maybe good, but the potato was damn great, just that with butter and sides is a meal. Ordered chopped beef and chopped sausage on a potato. 

it wasn’t bad. 

IMG_6623.jpeg

just a reminder for folks, ORDER THE MEL MAN

chopped beef + chopped sausage. it's excellent on a sandwich or in a potato like above, which looks awesome.

it's a 10/10 combo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I ate at Salt Lick in DFW airport yesterday, mostly because I have never eaten at the real one, but also because it was conveniently right by my gate.  It was in the Dickie's vicinity of barbecue experience. Had sliced brisket and 3 sides.  The brisket  was stripped of any bark, no smoke ring, very little flavor.  They could have boiled it instead-  maybe they did..  The fries were of the frozen, cheapest kind you can get variety, and the mustard potato salad was meh.  It just made me sad that somebody from Portland or Cleveland pops in there on a layover and thinks, "Damn, Texas barbecue is shit."

The 16oz cup of Lone Star was easily the best part of that endeavor.

Edited by slorch