Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 10/19/2023 at 9:02 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Does anyone here actually get to a legit bbq joint,  look at the menu, and then leave because of the price(s)?

wtf

Never but it is part of my calculus before going....$32 for my normal lunch order at Truth plus time in line = not worth it.  Take away or reduce one of those costs and I would go more often.

I think it's more sustainable at the moment than opening up another Cen-Tex style bbq joint, at least for them. This isn't the traditional Texas BBQ scene anymore. Texans dig pork ribs, and Goldee's has the clout. Wouldn't surprised if this doesn't become a trend. 

I’m surprised a smoked burger joint hasn’t become a standalone thing yet.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I’m surprised a smoked burger joint hasn’t become a standalone thing yet.

There used to be a place in Odessa, TX on the Andrews Highway if I'm recalling correctly, called Corky's. They made a mesquite smoked burger. The ground beef was thoroughly smoked. Tasty it was. They also had superb peach cobbler and ice cream which I always got along with the burger and fries.

28 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You don’t eat only at the Waffle House in Odessa? Or is that Midland?

Nyet. I couldn't tell you where one is located in either locale. There was also a Furr's cafeteria in Odessa back then. This was quite a while back. I made the mistake of stopping at some BBQ joint in Midland, I think, and ordered tea with the meal. I can't remember whether the 'cue was any good or not, because the experience was eclipsed by the Gawd awful ice tea made with their putrid tap water. Could not believe anyone would have the audacity to serve crap like that. Most restaurants there use reverse osmosis water because the local tap is so bad.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That just reeks of FAFO -- take a good business model, expand it, and suffer the consequences.  Hope I'm wrong.

My fear as well.  The jump from a trailer to a brick and mortar is a big one.  They went all in with a gorgeous new location with ~$500k worth of incentives from the City of Buda.  The number of extra employees necessary to run the new operation had to be significant. 

I've been to the new location once and it was great.  I usually get my Valentina's fix at Q2 during home soccer matches.  I'm worried that both are in jeopardy at this point if they are bouncing payroll checks. 

When you run a food truck you need what say six employees max?  The jump to a big brick and mortar which this is probably takes what 25 or more?  Just the jump in responbislibies in increasing in food and now the increase in labor issues (quality of employee, employees showing up for work, employees getting along, etc.) has to be a huge increase in time constraints on running your business.  

I was wondered about the places out in Royse City when they opened up because there is a Bucess out there that you know pays really well for hourly emplyees and I wondered if the BBQ joints would be able to hire and retain good employees. 

4 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

When you run a food truck you need what say six employees max?  The jump to a big brick and mortar which this is probably takes what 25 or more?  Just the jump in responbislibies in increasing in food and now the increase in labor issues (quality of employee, employees showing up for work, employees getting along, etc.) has to be a huge increase in time constraints on running your business.  

I was wondered about the places out in Royse City when they opened up because there is a Bucess out there that you know pays really well for hourly emplyees and I wondered if the BBQ joints would be able to hire and retain good employees. 

they went over the top on their new building. Crazy 

Some taqueria will take it over and crush it 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just because you can smoke a good brisket doesn't mean you have any business running a business.

I think we have a bbq bubble about to bust out. Cracks are starting to show. The Valentina’s situation I think is common. Have successful trailer, get the big head from Daniel Vaughn and the food media, get some investors and take on a massive bricks operation, and the lines go away. They also didn’t move down the street but down the road and I imagine didn’t budget shit for marketing and thinking their fanatic customer base would follow them anywhere. Nope.

Hurtado was shut down a few weeks ago by Ft Worth Health inspectors. Fucking arrogance in thinking you’re a big time operator, and can make a go in a proven shit location that ran Derek Allen out of the industry.

Ft Worth area is oversaturated with great bbq joints. With inflation hitting so many they have to be seeing a slowdown
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think we have a bbq bubble about to bust out. Cracks are starting to show. The Valentina’s situation I think is common. Have successful trailer, get the big head from Daniel Vaughn and the food media, get some investors and take on a massive bricks operation, and the lines go away. They also didn’t move down the street but down the road and I imagine didn’t budget shit for marketing and thinking their fanatic customer base would follow them anywhere. Nope.

Hurtado was shut down a few weeks ago by Ft Worth Health inspectors. Fucking arrogance in thinking you’re a big time operator, and can make a go in a proven shit location that ran Derek Allen out of the industry.

Ft Worth area is oversaturated with great bbq joints. With inflation hitting so many they have to be seeing a slowdown

I 100% agree with you.  It's been teetering for a few years now, but when every "first place brisket" winner at the county fair starts opening up a brick and mortar joint, and spending wayyyyyyyyy too much money doing it, the shark's been jumped.  

40 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I 100% agree with you.  It's been teetering for a few years now, but when every "first place brisket" winner at the county fair starts opening up a brick and mortar joint, and spending wayyyyyyyyy too much money doing it, the shark's been jumped.  

You need to know how to run a business.  Pinkerton's does well with their bar, their catering, and their online products (seasonings and sauce).

20 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

You need to know how to run a business.  Pinkerton's does well with their bar, their catering, and their online products (seasonings and sauce).

There’s a big difference between knowing how to run a business, and how to run the restaurant business.   

• Like 1

There’s a big difference between knowing how to run a business, and how to run the restaurant business.

I’d add that there is a difference between knowing how to run a restaurant business, and how to run a barbecue restaurant business.

There is a reason old timey barbecue was basically built around butchers selling meat scraps, that was basically a little extra profit to help pay for fuel and labor. Regardless of how much revenue these joints bring in with $35/lb brisket and $6 sides, their margins suck balls because of high food costs, waste, labor, fuel. Add the stupidity of moving from a cheap trailer or shack to fancy real estate, a couple of bad days can flip your month into the red fast.

Pecan Lodge was so good in the Farmers Market. The move to Derp Ellen has killed quality. I don’t know how they survive. Hurtado and Heim both seem hell bent on pushing their enterprises over the edge with new locations and expanded hours. Can Dayne’s support the move to Brix. Will Sunbird make it in bricks.

There was a reason bbq was often a shack on the wrong side of town with a pit, a Coke box, and a rack of chips. Because they didn’t make much money. You want to make money sell breakfast (eggs and hotcakes).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

You would think some of these folks would understand it is worth paying someone who knows what the fuck they are doing before moving forward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’d add that there is a difference between knowing how to run a restaurant business, and how to run a barbecue restaurant business.

There is a reason old timey barbecue was basically built around butchers selling meat scraps, that was basically a little extra profit to help pay for fuel and labor. Regardless of how much revenue these joints bring in with $35/lb brisket and $6 sides, their margins suck balls because of high food costs, waste, labor, fuel. Add the stupidity of moving from a cheap trailer or shack to fancy real estate, a couple of bad days can flip your month into the red fast.

Pecan Lodge was so good in the Farmers Market. The move to Derp Ellen has killed quality. I don’t know how they survive. Hurtado and Heim both seem hell bent on pushing their enterprises over the edge with new locations and expanded hours. Can Dayne’s support the move to Brix. Will Sunbird make it in bricks.

There was a reason bbq was often a shack on the wrong side of town with a pit, a Coke box, and a rack of chips. Because they didn’t make much money. You want to make money sell breakfast (eggs and hotcakes).

Spot on

My cousin opened The Hoffbrau Steakhouse in SA down on Mulberry a few decades ago.  His idea was to go up against Josephine St for the Spurs crowd, among other things.  Dude was a very successful businessman in real estate and in the oil & gas game.  

Had the same menu and product as the one in ATX.  Exactly the same.

He went under in less than a year if I remember correctly.  That shit ate him alive.  He was divorced and completely bankrupt soon after.

/csb

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s not just bbq. Most new restaurants are failures because they are opened by morons with a lack of experience and equal lack of capital.

I grew up in a restaurant that my parents ran for 43 years before retiring last December. Worked almost every job in that place as a child through adulthood… washed dishes, bussed tables, waited tables, almost every role in the kitchen… I say all that to say on a certain level I know what’s involved and how fucking hard it is to run a restaurant, much less a successful one. 

I worked at Sysco East Texas for a couple years after college to pay for going back for more school, and the amount of customers I had that had no fucking clue what they were doing and wouldn’t listen to some fresh faced college kid was probably 50%+. Not every fucking idiot that can cook a good burger or good bbq needs to open a restaurant, especially the small family business variety that is most bbq. That shit is hard as hell to be successful in. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I worked in restaurants in high school and college and figured out quickly that while I loved cooking and food, there was nothing about being a chef I wanted to do.

Is like anything else. Folks say do something you love and you’ll never work a job. Bullshit. Lots of scratch golfers out there; few can get on a tee and hit the ball in front of a gallery. I was in the music business in Memphis; met tons of great musicians who either couldnt deal with a band or couldn’t get on stage or couldn’t entertain. And folks have a couple of dinner parties and get told, “you should open a restaurant!” A year later they have lost their house and are bankrupt.

It’s why I have such respect for a pitmaster that can make something as different as a brisket perfect and the same across 20 of them a day. I don’t know how they do it. But that extraordinary craft doesn’t translate into business expertise.

• Hook 'Em 3

While I think I’d be pretty good at the ownership/management of a restaurant , my parents always told my brother and me to never get in the restaurant business and I appreciate them for that. My dad was the chef and my mom ran the front of house/books for all those years so that was fortuitous for them, but even if you are a chef/owner (and a good chef, cook, whatever at that), there are just way too many variables to stake your livelihood in that business, imo. 

On a related note, if sunbird can manage quality, which I think they should be able to, I bet Longview will welcome that level of bbq with open arms now that they’re in town. That place was a good wasteland when I lived there for s few years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I grew up in a restaurant that my parents ran for 43 years before retiring last December. Worked almost every job in that place as a child through adulthood… washed dishes, bussed tables, waited tables, almost every role in the kitchen… I say all that to say on a certain level I know what’s involved and how fucking hard it is to run a restaurant, much less a successful one. 

I worked at Sysco East Texas for a couple years after college to pay for going back for more school, and the amount of customers I had that had no fucking clue what they were doing and wouldn’t listen to some fresh faced college kid was probably 50%+. Not every fucking idiot that can cook a good burger or good bbq needs to open a restaurant, especially the small family business variety that is most bbq. That shit is hard as hell to be successful in. 

Way too many places just heat up Sysco bags.  Gross.

23 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Way too many places just heat up Sysco bags.  Gross.

Imagine being 22 and trying to teach some of these people how to cook a dish with fresh ingredients when everything else is fried or cooked from frozen… that was the 2 most miserable years of any job I’ve ever had

Edited by Etexhorn13

11 hours ago, Cajun said:

My cousin opened The Hoffbrau Steakhouse in SA down on Mulberry a few decades ago.  His idea was to go up against Josephine St for the Spurs crowd, among other things.  Dude was a very successful businessman in real estate and in the oil & gas game.  

Had the same menu and product as the one in ATX.  Exactly the same.

He went under in less than a year if I remember correctly.  That shit ate him alive.  He was divorced and completely bankrupt soon after.

/csb

Goodfellas Restaurant Scene on Make a GIF

• Haha 2