NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

If anyone can "fix" Russ, I would put my money on San Antonio.  Just about every player who has gone there has gotten significantly better.  San Antonio is tanking anyway. Unfortunately it is impossible to find salaries that can match without San Antonio giving up way too much.  Something like this would work + a bunch of pics for San Antonio.  They can continue to tank next year and then Westbrook's huge salary comes off the books in the following year.

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Not this Rockets fan. Lots of articles this week about the possibility of Harden returning to Houston down the road. Why? Just from performance perspective, he is older, fatter, slower and his signature move doesn’t get foul calls anymore. Oh yeah he wants $40M+ and screwed the franchise at least twice (Westbrook and losing picks to OKC, demanding trade). Thanks for the memories, James. We good now though. 

excerpt summary: he is older, fatter, slower and his signature move doesn't work any more.

Well, the same could apply for almost all of us.  Welcome to the club, James.  Give that fat old guy a break :)

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i cannot believe that the lakers stood pat.  fucking wow.

And what exactly were they going to offer up to suitors?  Russ with $47 million owed and fork sticking out of his back?  THT, who no one wants?  A '27 draft pick?

The Lakers only hope was something like the Knicks just doing their usual Knick thing and thinking "Russ was an MVP!  He can get back to that level!"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It's incredible to watch Rockets fans continue to stan for Harden after he choked away multiple playoff series, ran off Chris Paul in favor of fucking Westbrook, and then quit on his team and forced his way out. I mean Kawhi won a finals MVP for the Spurs and he'd still be shot dead by 75% of the Spurs thread. 

75% seems pretty low.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

i cannot believe that the lakers stood pat.  fucking wow.

They have nothing to trade. - no picks, no assets, nada. They are completely handcuffed. Whatever they did have, they either already gave up in the Anthony Davis deal or traded it for Westbrook.

Their best hope is to pick up some scraps off the buyout market, which they will probably do.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Like 1

Call me crazy, but I think a healthy Brooklyn is coming out of the East after today. I don't care how many games in a row they've lost. I like how their pieces fit now. Everyone should have more clear cut roles. Patty Mills can go back to being an off-the-bench scorer (for road games, at least). Simmons literally doesn't need to score. Seth and Harris (if/when he comes back) are two of the best shooters in the league spotting up around KD and Kyrie. Drummond and Simmons immediately upgrade the defense. They still have the best basketball player on the planet on their roster which is always useful.

And, not to CR this, but there's a decent chance that Kyrie may be available for home games by the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Whatever they did have, they either already gave up in the Anthony Davis deal or traded it for Westbrook.

That was always the madness about the Russ deal. Not that they were arrogant enough to think that LeBron is enough to turn anyone into a smart, winning basketball player (which is pretty fucking arrogant), but that they torpedoed every last bit of flexibility that they had to take that gamble.

41 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Call me crazy, but I think a healthy Brooklyn is coming out of the East after today. I don't care how many games in a row they've lost. I like how their pieces fit now. Everyone should have more clear cut roles. Patty Mills can go back to being an off-the-bench scorer (for road games, at least). Simmons literally doesn't need to score. Seth and Harris (if/when he comes back) are two of the best shooters in the league spotting up around KD and Kyrie. Drummond and Simmons immediately upgrade the defense. They still have the best basketball player on the planet on their roster which is always useful.

And, not to CR this, but there's a decent chance that Kyrie may be available for home games by the playoffs.

I think they still have the highest ceiling. I want to see Ben Simmons play some real live basketball before I really buy in. 

All of it is still so bizarre because if Kyrie was playing every game I think they'd be the hands down title favorites. 

Edited by ztejas

55 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That was always the madness about the Russ deal. Not that they were arrogant enough to think that LeBron is enough to turn anyone into a smart, winning basketball player (which is pretty fucking arrogant), but that they torpedoed every last bit of flexibility that they had to take that gamble.

Yep, they had given up so much to get AD and it worked.  They torched every last bit of tradable assets to get Russ.   Cant do that unless there are absolutely no questions about the fit.

Edited by d2o

28 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Pacers done f'ed up by letting Sabonis go, arguably their 2nd best player (Paul George) after the days of Reggie Miller.  If you are over 23 and talented, you have to go! 

Is Simmons vaxed? Will he play home games in NYC? How long will Kyrie last in BKN? 

Yes Simmons is vaxxed and will be playing 

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think they still have the highest ceiling. I want to see Ben Simmons play some real live basketball before I really buy in. 

All of it is still so bizarre because if Kyrie was playing every game I think they'd be the hands down title favorites. 

They were 13-3 when the 3 played together.   They were pretty much unstoppable offensively so its definitely possible if Kyrie is vaxxed, the dont break up until this summer. 

I honestly have though for a while now that it was Harden's plan to get an "easy" ring (or 2) and then go back somewhere where he could be the man and play like he did in HOU (more than likely PHI because of Morey).   He would then be able to somewhat pull rank on Embiid because he would be the one with the title and Embiid would be chasing.    This is why I have my doubts about it working.   Harden has not got along with any superstar teammate he has played with.   Despite him having the ball most of the time he will CLEARLY be the 2nd banana in PHI.    Even with Morey there to placate him it will be interesting to see if it works.

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

And what exactly were they going to offer up to suitors?  Russ with $47 million owed and fork sticking out of his back?  THT, who no one wants?  A '27 draft pick?

The Lakers only hope was something like the Knicks just doing their usual Knick thing and thinking "Russ was an MVP!  He can get back to that level!"  

I mean- John Wall for Russ and a 27 pick would have been amazing. He could have been traded twice for each other in 18 months with wall being attached to the pick last time and Russ this time. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Agreed. If KD is healthy and Kyrie is playing that’s certainly the way I’m bettting. 
KD is so good. Milwaukee won their last two rounds pretty easily, but I don’t know anyone who doesn’t believe if Kyrie and Harden didn’t get hurt that Brooklyn doesn’t win that title. Shit happens. Injuries tilt titles sometimes so that deal always made sense and if I’m Brooklyn I do it everyday if the week and twice on Sunday. They got out of it pretty well I’d say. 

Someone on Reddit laid out the Lakers roster situation for the 22-23 season.  It ain't pretty:

Provided Westbrook and Kendrick Nunn pick up their options, which I think we can safely assume both will, and ignoring the club options for the time being the Lakers will have just 5 players under contract; Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook, Talen Horton-Tucker, and Kendrick Nunn.

Those 5 salaries will add up to approximately $145 million dollars.

The luxury tax threshold is $149 million dollars.

Effectively, when you consider additional cap holds, the Lakers will be an over-the-tax team with no ability to get below the tax line. They also don't have the bi-annual exception I don't think and won't get the non-taxpayer MLE.

Consequently we can assume they will pickup the team options for Stanley Johnson and Austin Reaves. They will also have 2 tradeable draft picks (the 2027 1st and 2029 1st) and the taxpayer MLE worth like $6 million. So we pretty much know what their roster will look like right now

Lebron James

Anthony Davis

Russell Westbrook

Talen Horton-Tucker

Kendrick Nunn

Austin Reaves

Stanley Johnson

Some player on the $6 million dollar taxpayer MLE

Minimum salary players to fill out the roster

They can package some of those players with their 2027 and 2029 1st rounders to try and improve, but have to be cautious about aggregating the salaries. Like if they combine THT, Nunn, Reaves, and Johnson into some $20 million dollar player like Buddy Hield, they can only backfill the roster spots with minimum salary players.

Their only other option would be to stretch Westbrook and cut him. That may get them below the tax, giving them a little more money to spend with the exceptions, but it's also incurring sizable future liabilities. If they do this it's probably more financially motivated than in terms of improving the roster.

Someone on Reddit laid out the Lakers roster situation for the 22-23 season.  It ain't pretty:

Provided Westbrook and Kendrick Nunn pick up their options, which I think we can safely assume both will, and ignoring the club options for the time being the Lakers will have just 5 players under contract; Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook, Talen Horton-Tucker, and Kendrick Nunn.
Those 5 salaries will add up to approximately $145 million dollars.
The luxury tax threshold is $149 million dollars.
Effectively, when you consider additional cap holds, the Lakers will be an over-the-tax team with no ability to get below the tax line. They also don't have the bi-annual exception I don't think and won't get the non-taxpayer MLE.
Consequently we can assume they will pickup the team options for Stanley Johnson and Austin Reaves. They will also have 2 tradeable draft picks (the 2027 1st and 2029 1st) and the taxpayer MLE worth like $6 million. So we pretty much know what their roster will look like right now
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Russell Westbrook
Talen Horton-Tucker
Kendrick Nunn
Austin Reaves
Stanley Johnson
Some player on the $6 million dollar taxpayer MLE
Minimum salary players to fill out the roster
They can package some of those players with their 2027 and 2029 1st rounders to try and improve, but have to be cautious about aggregating the salaries. Like if they combine THT, Nunn, Reaves, and Johnson into some $20 million dollar player like Buddy Hield, they can only backfill the roster spots with minimum salary players.
Their only other option would be to stretch Westbrook and cut him. That may get them below the tax, giving them a little more money to spend with the exceptions, but it's also incurring sizable future liabilities. If they do this it's probably more financially motivated than in terms of improving the roster.

They would have been much better off without AD trade. That is going to kill them for the next 5-7 years. And of course the Russ trade was a disaster.

I personally hope Philly and Brooklyn meet in the playoffs -- it could be highly entertaining.  I'd like to see Simmons lock down Harden completely and on the other side maybe seeing Embiid fouling Simmons in the 4th quarter and having some fun about it, etc.

I actually love the trade for Brooklyn if Simmons pans out (ok maybe a big if) because I just felt something was off about their team this year, and I think Curry helps a lot too.  There were some really bad coaching and injuries/Kyrie so far, but even so, they didn't feel like a real team to me somehow.  Absolute huge ceiling, but I never felt like they were going to get it together and peak when it counted with Harden.  I am guessing the Brooklyn front office felt the same thing and made this trade from that perspective.  Some fresh blood and the return of KD might be just what was needed to hit their ceiling.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I think everyone is overthinking this.  If you look at the team Durant had already drafted, there really was no need to add Harden.  Hell, I'd draft Gobert over Harden, as I know Gobert will pass up a 1-on-3 shot for an open pass.

If nothing else, it reunites Harden with Chris Paul - the unintentional comedy level is very high.

Shit, I am looking at the All-Star roster that  Durant created.  I am hard-pressed to find anyone who I would trade for Harden to "start my team from scratch."

Durant's team: Embiid, morant, Tatum, Young, Wiggins, Booker, Towns, LaVine, Murray, Middleton, LaMelo Ball, Gobert.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Cool that Okie City did this.  Good for those guys, too.  

Don't kid yourself; OKC isn't doing this out of the goodness of their heart.  The NBA mandates a minimum salary floor as well; and if a team doesn't get there, everyone on the roster at the end of the season gets a boost.

2 hours ago, veritas aequitas said:

Not sure why I watched the all star draft but when did Kevin Durant become such a salty bitch. 

They tried to get him to talk about the Harden trade and he was like a stump, they tried to get him to comment on his injury status and he was like a rock. Acted like he didn't want to answer any questions.

yeah not a very good look, but at least Lebron got a laugh out of it

You seem a little out of the loop. Durant hasn't been fond of the national media going back to his OKC days. He gets especially irritated with the TNT guys for whatever reason. I'm guessing LeBron thinks its hilarious because he knows what it's like more than anyone. 

As for today's attitude - KD was gunning for an MVP and scoring title and had the Nets at the top of the standings before getting hurt. He's now watched his team lose 9 (about to be 10 - fwiw) straight games without him and slip into play-in territory. His best teammate doesn't even play home games and the big 3 he had hoped to win a couple titles with has now been blown up before they could play 20 games together. He's sitting out another all-star game - he will probably miss too many games to win the scoring title or make 1st team all-NBA - and he has to go on national TV and do an all-star team draft while being asked how he feels about today's trade and what his injury status is.

He's perfectly amicable most of the time. I don't really understand his beef with the TNT desk but he deserves a pass for today. As for how it "makes him look" he's well past that. Dude is totally made and was picking teams because he was the top vote getter in his conference. 

I'm sorry I missed the draft as it seems like it was plenty entertaining. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3405510/nobody-is-more-fired-up-about-ben-simmons-getting-his-ass-shipped-out-of-philly-than-joel-embiid

…yup. That'll do it. Joel Embiid has finally been freed from that chocolate chip cookie straight out of the oven soft coward. A quitter who may have ended up becoming a character in the NBA, but he sure as shit doesn't have any. No character, no honor, no integrity. Just a little baby back B who couldn't handle the faintest hint of constructive criticism. He quit on his team, he quit on the city, he quit on Joel Embiid.

Ouch. I did laugh about the meme that Embiid posted after he was freed from the chains of Simmons. Nobody was happier after the moves made today than Embiid.

1 minute ago, Chad said:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3405510/nobody-is-more-fired-up-about-ben-simmons-getting-his-ass-shipped-out-of-philly-than-joel-embiid

Ouch. I did laugh about the meme that Embiid posted after he was freed from the chains of Simmons. Nobody was happier after the moves made today than Embiid.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Seth is plug and play for any team in the league.  If you can give him open looks from 3 he’s going to bang home 40% of them, and he can do that with high volume.  Doc is a ruthless mfer.  I believe he cut his own kid once, and justed traded his son-in-law out of town.

I doubt Doc had much say in the trade. 

Harden and Philly fans- oh boy!

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Anyone want Brooklyn and Philly vs. my field for even money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha I was literally just thinking about your dumb ass earlier tonight. How ya been, man.

You're still on ignore - btw. Earn it back if you want.