What did you think our record would be right now?

hookem48

I had us at 5-3 and would lose 4 or 5 games by the end of the year. Knew Arkansas was going to be a buzz saw, thought we'd lose to TCU and OU but beat OSU and Baylor. We are pretty much where I thought we'd be so I guess that's why I'm not losing my mind right now but I didn't have us in the playoffs in the first half vs OU either.

Blowing big leads in 3 straight games sucks all kinds of ass but the 4 teams we've lost to are 28-5 with Arkansas having 3 of those losses. We are a shitty team but we were always going to be shitty this year.

• Hook 'Em 3

I just typed a really long drunken rant, then erased it all.

BlowU had to have a bit of luck and the refs to beat us so I still had optimism, but I wrote off this season after Okie Lite, I'll just leave it at that. Sark has 3 years, we should all make it easier on ourselves and just step back for a while, see what happens. I remember talk among some of the olds back in the early 2k's about firing Mack, and hindsight tells us that would have been a huge mistake. Not saying Sark will have anything approaching the same level of success...but he did inherit a soft roster with only a single superstar player, then grabbed another, but that player is a true Freshman with the mistakes that come along with that. The rest of the roster are JAG's who range from average to below average. Year two will tell us a lot about how the Sark era will be remembered. At this point it may be best to stay in the Big12 for '22 and it pains me to say that, but this season is done no matter how you look at it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

I would have been baffled if we had beat OU, but yet also lost to Arkansas, Okie State, and Baylor.

I ain't baffled, I'm flabbergasted with how much we suck.

I would have thought at most two losses by now, probably less.

So you really thought we'd be 7-1 with our oline?

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

6-2 and 7-1 with luck. Didn’t see Arky and had us losing 2 of TCU-OU-OSU-Baylor. 

It’s been disappointing for sure, but I don’t blame the staff. We don’t have the lines on either side of the ball. It places too much pressure on Casey, Bijan, X and a bunch of spare parts, and then our awful linebackers and secondary. The worst back 7 I’ve seen on a Texas team maybe ever. Casey is not good enough to put a team on his back - that’s clear. Bijan can be game planned against. 

People wanna fire PK and are really down on Sark, and I don’t understand that. It’s as clear as day we don’t have the Jimmys or Joes. Sark does an excellent job getting us these leads (despite Casey leaving points all over the fucking field yesterday), PK does enough with a talent-deficient D, and our lines wear out in second halves because they have zero talent. This is entirely predictable. And will keep happening to some degree in a lot of games until we have players. 

This is the worst collection of talent on a Texas roster since the early 90s. 

PK was a total unknown for me so I had no idea how that would go and I still don't think he'd be here if everyone knew we were going to the SEC. I think some guys that weren't interested would have been interested.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I did, possibly - mainly because of our schedule. I did not count on Arky or Baylor being any good, really. I thought we would be 6-2 with 7-1 more likely than 5-3. 

“They are terrible. We should win convincingly” meets “worst collection of talent in 30 years of Texas football”

14 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I did, possibly - mainly because of our schedule. I did not count on Arky or Baylor being any good, really. I thought we would be 6-2 with 7-1 more likely than 5-3. 

I just didn't see it but I thought our offense would be shit with our oline trying to run Sark's offense and having garbage receivers, no qb running to keep drives alive and who knew Bijan could jump cut his way to what he's doing. Worthy showing up has saved our ass on offense. The defense though, man I thought we'd be better.

Edited by hookem48

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Not advocating for PK necessarily (I don’t know), but he has shown me some things in the last 2 games when we needed to make stands. Overall, the D has not been good, but I think any DC would struggle with this personnel. Name 2 redeemable defensive players. Just 2….

Before the season started when discussing PK I thought he was going to have an attacking dline, could have sworn that's what everyone was saying, well that couldn't have been more wrong.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I knew Arkansas was going to physically whip us and being an old I also knew playing there was really going to suck and Sark's just another game mentality that week probably had me questioning him more than anything else he's done here. "It's not about what they're doing it's about what we're doing" works at Bama when you're better than anyone else. Well he got slapped in the face on that.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

6-2 and 7-1 with luck. Didn’t see Arky and had us losing 2 of TCU-OU-OSU-Baylor. 

It’s been disappointing for sure, but I don’t blame the staff. We don’t have the lines on either side of the ball. It places too much pressure on Casey, Bijan, X and a bunch of spare parts, and then our awful linebackers and secondary. The worst back 7 I’ve seen on a Texas team maybe ever. Casey is not good enough to put a team on his back - that’s clear. Bijan can be game planned against. 

People wanna fire PK and are really down on Sark, and I don’t understand that. It’s as clear as day we don’t have the Jimmys or Joes. Sark does an excellent job getting us these leads (despite Casey leaving points all over the fucking field yesterday), PK does enough with a talent-deficient D, and our lines wear out in second halves because they have zero talent. This is entirely predictable. And will keep happening to some degree in a lot of games until we have players. 

This is the worst collection of talent on a Texas roster since the early 90s. 

How do you not blame the staff? Are you completely throwing away player development as part of the staff's responsibility? I mean, you can discount recruiting rankings to some extent, (although, for some reason, it seems to hold pretty true for most other teams), but we should have better talent across the board than at least 2 of the teams we lost to. If that doesn't say coaching problems, I don't know what does.

6-2 with a likely loss to ISU coming up. I definitely overestimated our O-line after the way we played the last two games of 2020. I also way overestimated the WR’s we had left on the roster, and thought the TE’s would contribute at least a little. 

On defense I figured at least one of the three edge players we got in the portal from big time programs would hit, and that our returning D-line would would be a strength. Maybe they still would be if used in a different scheme. I knew we were thin at LB, but hey, how much do LB’s really mean in the modern game?  Lol. CB’s have been about as expected, and probably the strongest position on the defense, although that might be a reflection of the passing attacks we’ve faced. Safeties? 🤮

25 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Before the season started when discussing PK I thought he was going to have an attacking dline, could have sworn that's what everyone was saying, well that couldn't have been more wrong.

Could someone please explain this to me?  As someone who just got as far as intramurals brother, I don't understand what the line is doing.  I feel like I'm missing something.  From what I understand, the line should do one of two things at a basic level:

1. Hold up the oline to allow LBs to fill gaps and make tackles.

2. Stunt, attack, or be aggressive, which has to be regulated so as not to over-attack and allow too much space.

The line obviously does not do the latter, as they're never in the backfield.  But, when they do the former, the LBs are playing so far back, the RB is 4-5 yards past the line of scrimmage before contact.  It seems as if 90% of the plays, the ball is snapped, the line takes a step, and then just stops.  I don't understand the game plan.  And, yes, I know they're somewhat limited talent-wise, but surely they can do more than just take a step, get stood up, and stand there.

• Hook 'Em 1

After Arkansas it looked like 3-5. After Tech 6-2. After the first half of the OU game 7-1. Now who gives a shit. We had Charlie level results for the past 2.5 games.

This guy seemed to have hired a great staff in comparison to the last 2 guys making us believe his past results could be ignored and a clean slate given. 

Now it seems that the Seven Game Steve crowd was right all along. So now we are 4-4 and very likely facing a coaching change in 2024.

PS. A preemptive fuck you to those that say they never liked the PK hire while having busted a nut all over threads at the time and now are attempting to rewrite history. To those that actually warned us much respect.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ousux said:

BlowU had to have a bit of luck and the refs to beat us so I still had optimism, but I wrote off this season after Okie Lite, I'll just leave it at that. Sark has 3 years, we should all make it easier on ourselves and just step back for a while, see what happens. I remember talk among some of the olds back in the early 2k's about firing Mack, and hindsight tells us that would have been a huge mistake. Not saying Sark will have anything approaching the same level of success...but he did inherit a soft roster with only a single superstar player, then grabbed another, but that player is a true Freshman with the mistakes that come along with that. The rest of the roster are JAG's who range from average to below average. Year two will tell us a lot about how the Sark era will be remembered. At this point it may be best to stay in the Big12 for '22 and it pains me to say that, but this season is done no matter how you look at it.

You erased it all and then typed it again?

I don't make predictions about records. I just have different levels of optimism and occasional pessimism.

I thought our defense, particularly the line, would create a lot of trouble for opposing teams. With a more wide open head coach running the offense, I thought we'd be pretty good. If we could score 28 points in a game, then we'd have a good chance to win that game.

Arkansas was a surprise, but they're pretty good. Slaughtering Rice and Tech kept me on the rising rollercoaster car. The Oklahoma teams threw me out of the roller coaster to a new place. 

spacer.png

I stopped reading about the team because it's just too depressing. Baylor's record is worrisome. That they play physical was worrisome. That the Texas staff was showing movies to the team to buck them up was pathetic.

Football players and football teams shouldn't be having discussions about their frail psyche.

Yay! The stormtrooper uniforms. Yay! An interception. Uh-oh, we're behind in the first half. Uh oh we only have a small lead at halftime. I have a sick feeling I know where this is going. Annnnnd, it goes there with an impotent final possession where not a single yard is gained in four tries.

spacer.png

So here I remain. We don't have a sure win on the remaining schedule. Maybe if the team watches Rudy and Rocky 2 (where he wins), all will be fixed.

Until then, you know where to find me.

• Haha 1

I had us at 8-4 for the year with losses to OU, Iowa State, one we shouldn't lose to like Arkansas or TCU, and one we'd lose to close like oSu. I didn't have us losing to Baylor or that even being a close game. So I guess I had us at 5-3 going into ISU. I certainly didn't think we'd blow 3 double digit leads. I did find it interesting how a lot of that prediction thread was 9 and 10 win guesses. Not sure what people saw out of this team. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

This would be all well and good if Sark actually had a good track record as a head coach but he doesn't. What makes you think he actually turns this around.

This is now our third coach since Mack we are talking the same talking points. Bad inherited roster, needs time, soft players, comparing Mack's early years. We keep making bad coaching hires and then wonder why this program is stuck in the sand of mediocrity for over a decade. We are on our 4th coach in less than a decade. That's the sign of a toxic program. Meanwhile, OU went the way of the Steelers. They've had 2 coaches the last 2 decades and are stable. OU is everything Texas fans think and wish this program o
to be But right now, in reality, we are closer to TCU and Iowa State and aggy.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Player development after only being on the job 10 months without his players and only a transition year recruiting class? No, I don’t blame Sark. Is this a real question?

Show me a single job in the fucking world, especially one that pays the kind of scratch Sark is making, where you get more than 10 months to do the basics of your job. You know, simple shit like develop players, instill culture, conditioning, shit like that. 10 months isn't enough to be better with the superior talent you are dealt? Is this a real statement?

If you think we “clearly” have better talent across the board than Arky, Baylor and OSU, you’re crazy. 

I didn't say we clearly do, not sure why you quoted that. I said we should. Based on the, admittedly not 100% accurate, recruiting rankings and any objective measurement you can think of, yes, we should have better talent than at least Baylor and OSU. We don't, so yeah, I question the basic things I listed above...player development, program culture, conditioning, etc...and yeah, 10 months should be enough to see better than we we've seen this year.

OU no doubt has talent that far exceeds ours. 

No shit, which is why I said at least 2. I wasn't including OU and I'll even give them Arkansas.

Your expectations for this staff seem too low to me. I expect better. Only 10 months? Give me a fucking break.

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I expect better results but understand they might not come until year 2.  Which is pretty normal. And I’m vocal about firing a coach that clearly demonstrates he can’t hack it. I, for example, would’ve fired Charlie after 2. But you’re being ridiculous. 

Steve Sarkisian is going to get four years at least, unless he shits the bed and has a losing season in year three.

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I expect better results but understand they might not come until year 2.  Which is pretty normal. And I’m vocal about firing a coach that clearly demonstrates he can’t hack it. I, for example, would’ve fired Charlie after 2. But you’re being ridiculous. 

I'm not saying he should be fired. But I also don't think he's "without blame" here (which is what you said). Not sure how that's me being ridiculous.

I thought we would finish the season 10-2.  I would say maybe 6-2.  I thought TCU and OU would beat us.  I thought we had a very manageable schedule.  However, most of the teams we have lost to have very good records.  Our worst loss is against a 5-3 Arky team.  

3 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I thought we would finish the season 10-2.  I would say maybe 6-2.  I thought TCU and OU would beat us.  I thought we had a very manageable schedule.  However, most of the teams we have lost to have very good records.  Our worst loss is against a 5-3 Arky team.  

I tempered any thoughts of a season like this when I started paying attention to what knowledgeable people were saying about the true state of our OL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

I tempered any thoughts of a season like this when I started paying attention to what knowledgeable people were saying about the true state of our OL. 

I'm just an optimist.  I didn't think our o-line would be worse than 2017.  I just didn't think it could be possible after how bad our o-line was back then.  

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I had us at 8-4 for the year with losses to OU, Iowa State, one we shouldn't lose to like Arkansas or TCU, and one we'd lose to close like oSu. I didn't have us losing to Baylor or that even being a close game. So I guess I had us at 5-3 going into ISU. I certainly didn't think we'd blow 3 double digit leads. I did find it interesting how a lot of that prediction thread was 9 and 10 win guesses. Not sure what people saw out of this team. 

That surprised you?  People ignore warts for their fave teams preseason.

No one should be happy at 4-4 considering how close we should be 6-2 or 7-1 or even just 5-3, but the 9-3/10-2 people probably set themselves up to fail for a new staff with a new QB, a shitty WR corp, this thing that claims to be a O-Line and a defense that lost most of their best players to the draft.

The next 4 games should be playing time for younger guys and get the seniors a bowl game. Extra practices for young guys - even better if we have upperclassmen bowl game opt outs, for development purposes.

Look at Baylor - year 2 is where we should expect improvement. Especially now that portal players have seen us and should be salivating at being day 1 starters in 2022. 

I think like most rational people I had us with 2-3 losses.  I had Arky chalked up as I knew with two inexperienced QBs and our line we were going to be in trouble going up there.  I kind of had a hunch we would beat TCU, lose to OU and then OSU would likely be a toss-up.  Baylor was 2-7 last year so going into the season didn't see that as a loss.  Of course I never saw going 0 for October with 3 straight 4th quarter collapses figured in.  

Now the 4th quarters come in close games and I know we don't have a single "heads up guys we fucking got this, let's fucking go" player on the sidelines and the team just mentally goes into "here we fucking go again" mode.  I expect more of the same this Saturday, especially since we are now so "fortunate" to have a night game....on the road.  

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I think like most rational people I had us with 2-3 losses.  I had Arky chalked up as I knew with two inexperienced QBs and our line we were going to be in trouble going up there.  I kind of had a hunch we would beat TCU, lose to OU and then OSU would likely be a toss-up.  Baylor was 2-7 last year so going into the season didn't see that as a loss.  Of course I never saw going 0 for October with 3 straight 4th quarter collapses figured in.  

Now the 4th quarters come in close games and I know we don't have a single "heads up guys we fucking got this, let's fucking go" player on the sidelines and the team just mentally goes into "here we fucking go again" mode.  I expect more of the same this Saturday, especially since we are now so "fortunate" to have a night game....on the road.  

Between Arky, OU, OSU, ISU and our typical suckage against TCU when looking at our schedule, 4-5 losses should have been expected. Baylor replaced Iowa State, which was unexpected. 

Arkansas and Baylor were pretty on paper “year 2 improvement” programs under new coaches. 

2 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

Holy shit dude, if this team doesn't get a huge influx of transfer talent, you can say last place in the SEC.  I expect this roster to be blown up.  There is shit up and down the lines.  It needs to be re-done.

Doesn’t seem like we’ll be in the SEC until 2023

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Same, plus I didn't think Baylor would not suck.

2 hours ago, sportsbay said:

Great more lopsided games where the officials call 10 penalties on us while giving the opposition 0-2 penalties.  Seems about right.  If CDC knows what's best for him, he will do whatever it takes to get us out of the Shitty 12.  He may not make it to the SEC if we can't get a hold on the biased officiating.

CDC isn’t getting fired bc of the Big 12 having bad officiating if we are here another year. Get a grip 

Edited by Js1