Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

32 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Brockermeyer may be the #1 OT in the nation for this class.  When is he committing?

Not only that. He may be the best sophomore OL I’ve ever seen.

It would be nice to see him in pads against 6A competition, but his film, his physique and these camp performances are absolutely insane. He’s got amazing feet and balance, really good strength, and he’s already a lean-looking 6’6, 285. 

It's obviously a ways away, but I'd think you probably try and get Brothers Brock, Foster, and Conner into the class early, and then try and land two of Jackson, Fatheree, Byrd, Cade, Montgomery, etc, depending on who is fine joining an already loaded OL class, and who looks the best as seniors 

Having to take James Brock means you probably expand the class to six, since it's so loaded. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, satyanash said:

"OT Tommy Brockermeyer looks very good out here. Probably not coming to A&M, as his dad played for Texas, but still a good player overall." -- Damon Sayles

Holy shit, this guy just basically admitted that how much a recruit likes A&M affects how he rates that recruit as a prospect.

37 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's obviously a ways away, but I'd think you probably try and get Brothers Brock, Foster, and Conner into the class early, and then try and land two of Jackson, Fatheree, Byrd, Cade, Montgomery, etc, depending on who is fine joining an already loaded OL class, and who looks the best as seniors 

Having to take James Brock means you probably expand the class to six, since it's so loaded. 

Agree on 6. 2021 OL recruiting will be more about evaluation/development than out-recruiting other schools since the state is so stacked.   Both aggy and us can bring in a great haul, but it definitely looks like we'll get more of our first choices than them.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Agree on 6. 2021 OL recruiting will be more about evaluation/development than out-recruiting other schools since the state is so stacked.   Both aggy and us can bring in a great haul, but it definitely looks like we'll get more of our first choices than them.

I think in a vacuum (meaning before odds of landing guys go down with each class addition), we legitimately lead for almost all of these kids; Brocks, Conner, Foster, Fatheree, Jackson, and Cade. I think we have a good shot with Byrd too, although that's me making an assumption due to the Duncanville connection, and potentially landing Jackson and Thompson. 

I think the ones that we don't land aren't automatically aggie leans, and to me the field has a better shot than they do for any of them; they aren't even making the top three lists for most of these guys right now. 

12 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Yeah. We should stop pussyfooting around, offer the little brother, and get them both on board and recruiting. If we're willing to fucking offer a scholarship to Damien George to help sway Evans, then we should be willing to just offer little brother at Center and get this shit over with. It's not like the youngest doesn't have plenty of upside. 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Gerry has his as a top 11 guy in the state, regardless of class? So he's still a top 5 guy in 2021, per Gerry? I fucking repeat:

We should stop pussyfooting around, offer the little brother, and get them both on board and recruiting. If we're willing to fucking offer a scholarship to Damien George to help sway Evans, then we should be willing to just offer little brother at Center and get this shit over with. It's not like the youngest doesn't have plenty of upside. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We should stop pussyfooting around, offer the little brother, and get them both on board and recruiting. If we're willing to fucking offer a scholarship to Damien George to help sway Evans, then we should be willing to just offer little brother at Center and get this shit over with. It's not like the youngest doesn't have plenty of upside. 

For some reason, Gerry didn't include Foster or Connor, who are clearly better prospects than James. Cade and Montgomery probably are too.

As far as "offer James now goddammit" goes, I don't see the reason for rush, but I suppose I also don't see the point in waiting. It'll work itself out, and we'll take both, it's just a matter of when, so I won't worry too much about it. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

For some reason, Gerry didn't include Foster or Connor, who are clearly better prospects than James. Cade and Montgomery probably are too.

As far as "offer James now goddammit" goes, I don't see the reason for rush, but I suppose I also don't see the point in waiting. It'll work itself out, and we'll take both, it's just a matter of when, so I won't worry too much about it. 

Your premise presupposes that Herman hasn't been presented with this proposal yet, and that the longer he sits on it the greater the chance of offending kids and/or parents exists.

Maybe the Brockermeyers aren't the type to get insulted or irritated at Herman. Or maybe Tommy really is serious about blazing his own trail, and the longer this shit goes on the less influence dad has on his recruitment. Or that Blake DOES get irritated or pissed and gets turned off by Herman. Who knows. What I can say with a high level of certainty, is that there are all kinds of unknowns that exist and can rear their heads while a situation remains uncertain. There's a lot less once you lock them down and get them recruiting and positively identifying with Texas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Your premise presupposes that Herman hasn't been presented with this proposal yet, and that the longer he sits on it the greater the chance of offending kids and/or parents exists. 

Maybe the Brockermeyers aren't the type to get insulted or irritated at Herman. Or maybe Tommy really is serious about blazing his own trail, and the longer this shit goes on the less influence dad has on his recruitment. Or that Blake DOES get irritated or pissed and gets turned off by Herman. Who knows. What I can say with a high level of certainty, is that there are all kinds of unknowns that exist and can rear their heads while a situation remains uncertain. There's a lot less once you lock them down and get them recruiting and positively identifying with Texas.  

Look, you worry about this one for the rest of us, and I'll worry about the prospects who aren't near locks to end up at Texas

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Look, you worry about this one for the rest of us, and I'll worry about the prospects who aren't near locks to end up at Texas

I'm more griping on stupidity, or even an operational inefficiency, if you prefer. It's not that different than sticking Giles unassisted on a priority recruit, even if he's a "near lock" to go to Texas, or should be one. Bad habits or stupid decisions are the same regardless of whether or not the kid's parents went to Texas. 

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I'm more griping on stupidity, or even an operational inefficiency, if you prefer. It's not that different than sticking Giles unassisted on a priority recruit, even if he's a "near lock" to go to Texas, or should be one. Bad habits or stupid decisions are the same regardless of whether or not the kid's parents went to Texas. 

The kid just finished his sophomore year, and has two offers, one of which is from the school where his dad coaches, although the other is a good one from Iowa. I think James will end up being a take and in our class, but are they really going to feel insulted if Texas waits a little while longer when James only has two offers? 

You, like the majority of this board (myself included), are pre-disposed to criticize the coaching staff anytime something doesn't go exactly to your specification (but you especially so). In fact, I distinctly remember you griping about not offering Branard Wright because he was highly rated and posting videos of himself working on the front lawn wearing Longhorn gear.

More often than not, things turn out alright and the staff has things under control. If James starts getting offers from the big guns (Michigan, OU, etc.) and we don't keep pace, then I think it's fine to get antsy. Until then, I'm going to assume that Herb Hand knows what he's doing. He deserves the benefit of the doubt, unlike, say, Drayton or Giles.

Take a chill pill and stop being a satyanash.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You, like the majority of this board (myself included), are pre-disposed to criticize the coaching staff anytime something doesn't go exactly to your specification (but you especially so). In fact, I distinctly remember you griping about not offering Branard Wright because he was highly rated and posting videos of himself working on the front lawn wearing Longhorn gear.

More often than not, things turn out alright and the staff has things under control. If James starts getting offers from the big guns (Michigan, OU, etc.) and we don't keep pace, then I think it's fine to get antsy. Until then, I'm going to assume that Herb Hand knows what he's doing. He deserves the benefit of the doubt, unlike, say, Drayton or Giles.

Listen, fuck your relatively accurate memory and level headed reason. With all due respect. The only defense I'll offer for Wright was that at the time we were currently getting our dicks kicked around on DL recruiting and perhaps I got a little bit antsy. But if this outcome is a foregone conclusion, as Fud mentioned, I have yet to hear a reasonable response for why waiting makes any sense. Particularly if, allegedly, the brothers are a package deal. 

42 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Take a chill pill and stop being a satyanash.

tenor.gif

Listen, there's making a point, and then there's just being rude and insulting unnecessarily. Come on man. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, fuck your relatively accurate memory and level headed reason. With all due respect. The only defense I'll offer for Wright was that at the time we were currently getting our dicks kicked around on DL recruiting and perhaps I got a little bit antsy. But if this outcome is a foregone conclusion, as Fud mentioned, I have yet to hear a reasonable response for why waiting makes any sense. Particularly if, allegedly, the brothers are a package deal.  

Sorry to correct you, but we are always getting our dicks kicked around on DL recruiting.

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I also remember there was a lot of satya-ing when we hadn't offered Sylvester. No one seems to care him or Wright anymore, with our (better) targets now established.

Maybe Giles is smart rather than lazy by letting the market sort itself out before he is required to actually expend some energy. It's damn hard to come up with good superhero-to-athlete matches and it's obvious his Photoshop work has improved as the number of targets has decreased. 

3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I also remember there was a lot of satya-ing when we hadn't offered Sylvester. No one seems to care him or Wright anymore, with our (better) targets now established.

Maybe Giles is smart rather than lazy by letting the market sort itself out before he is required to actually expend some energy. It's damn hard to come up with good superhero-to-athlete matches and it's obvious his Photoshop work has improved as the number of targets has decreased. 

imgur>

Stahp. Just stahp.

Image result for Absolutely Not Gif

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

How old are the brothers Brockermeyer?  They are both class of 21, and obviously aren’t identical twins.  Is one older/younger than a typical hs soph?

Irish twins?

Thanks to Blake for supplying us with multiple prospects for a single class. Though his offerings will look meager in comparison to the 15 prospects born via Gary Johnson that we're recruiting in 2038

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hard for me to imagine Tommy and James end up elsewhere.  Older brother Luke had scholly's to Rice & Oregon St and chose to walk-on at Texas.  You don't do that unless there's a serious pre-disposition to being a Longhorn and your family completely in your corner on the decision.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

How old are the brothers Brockermeyer?  They are both class of 21, and obviously aren’t identical twins.  Is one older/younger than a typical hs soph?

Fraternal twins, Tommy just came from a bigger egg than James. 

Edited by bEastTexas