Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

48 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Fired? Probably not but at least he doesn't get an extension and a blank fucking check to pass off his bullshit excuse for an offense onto another OC. At least we all seem unified this time around that the HC at Texas needs to be something beyond shitcanned, and we didn't have to lose to fucking Kansas to reach this conclusion. 

Now all we can hope for is that a segment (albeit large) of our base can get it through their thick skulls that this isn't the same game it was 30-50 years ago and if we want to remain relevant in college football, we need to play the same game (within reason) as the heavyweights and aggy, or else it's shit and fuckall that we'll be competing for. 

I mean yeah I don't know anyone who would argue that the extension wasn't a terrible idea

Titanic Band GIF - Titanic Band Music GIFs

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: A new Crystal Ball pick for the Longhorns

Spoiler

Mike at Night: A new Crystal Ball pick for the Longhorns

MikeRoach

It’s been a while since Texas had some good news on the recruiting front, but the Longhorns could have some on the way. Earlier this week, 247Sports Crystal Ball picks started pouring in for the Longhorns to land Antonio Harmon.

The four-star wide receiver from Kosciusko (Miss.) holds 11 offers from programs such as Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and several others. Texas offered Harmon back in June, and the Longhorns have been gaining ground since that time.

I’ve logged a Texas pick following Ole Miss insiders Yancy Porter and David Johnson and Mississippi State insider Paul Jones. Sources near Harmon have been bullish on the chances of the big wideout landing at Texas for some time, and I’m told the Longhorns have moved into the top position.

One key source near Harmon indicated that he spoke with Texas head coach Tom Herman last night and he’s trying to arrange for a self-guided visit to Austin as soon as this weekend.

A two-way player, Harmon racked up 1,278 yards and 14 touchdowns in the last three years. He also accounted for 104 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 3 pass break ups, 6 forced fumbles, 6 fumble recoveries and 3 interceptions.

247Sports’ Director of Scouting Barton Simmons describes Harmon in the following way.

“Elite frame at wide receiver with long arms, broad shoulders and an imposing presence but still has room to fill out significantly on the next level. Pacing towards a physical specimen body type. Fluid downfield strider. Linear athlete. Uses his body effectively to box out defensive backs. Not elusive after the catch but tough, physical and hard to bring down. Willing and capable blocker. Could also play safety or linebacker in college. Raw as a route-runner in part due to run-heavy offensive high school system. Fights the football some. Struggles separating against press coverage. Steep upside due to raw background and body type projects him to a Power Five impact starter that has an NFL Draft pick kind of ceiling but he will need to be coached.”

At 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, Harmon is ranked as the No. 49 wide receiver in the country and No. 5 overall prospect in Mississippi, according to 247Sports Composite.

22 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Titanic Band GIF - Titanic Band Music GIFs

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: A new Crystal Ball pick for the Longhorns

Hide contents

Mike at Night: A new Crystal Ball pick for the Longhorns

MikeRoach

It’s been a while since Texas had some good news on the recruiting front, but the Longhorns could have some on the way. Earlier this week, 247Sports Crystal Ball picks started pouring in for the Longhorns to land Antonio Harmon.

The four-star wide receiver from Kosciusko (Miss.) holds 11 offers from programs such as Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and several others. Texas offered Harmon back in June, and the Longhorns have been gaining ground since that time.

I’ve logged a Texas pick following Ole Miss insiders Yancy Porter and David Johnson and Mississippi State insider Paul Jones. Sources near Harmon have been bullish on the chances of the big wideout landing at Texas for some time, and I’m told the Longhorns have moved into the top position.

One key source near Harmon indicated that he spoke with Texas head coach Tom Herman last night and he’s trying to arrange for a self-guided visit to Austin as soon as this weekend.

A two-way player, Harmon racked up 1,278 yards and 14 touchdowns in the last three years. He also accounted for 104 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 3 pass break ups, 6 forced fumbles, 6 fumble recoveries and 3 interceptions.

247Sports’ Director of Scouting Barton Simmons describes Harmon in the following way.

“Elite frame at wide receiver with long arms, broad shoulders and an imposing presence but still has room to fill out significantly on the next level. Pacing towards a physical specimen body type. Fluid downfield strider. Linear athlete. Uses his body effectively to box out defensive backs. Not elusive after the catch but tough, physical and hard to bring down. Willing and capable blocker. Could also play safety or linebacker in college. Raw as a route-runner in part due to run-heavy offensive high school system. Fights the football some. Struggles separating against press coverage. Steep upside due to raw background and body type projects him to a Power Five impact starter that has an NFL Draft pick kind of ceiling but he will need to be coached.”

At 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, Harmon is ranked as the No. 49 wide receiver in the country and No. 5 overall prospect in Mississippi, according to 247Sports Composite.

Struggles separating against press coverage. Steep upside due to raw background and body type projects him to a Power Five impact starter that has an NFL Draft pick kind of ceiling but he will need to be coached.”

Perfect. He’ll fit right in based on what we’ve seen out of the WR room the last four years...

• Fuck You 1

Fired? Probably not but at least he doesn't get an extension and a blank fucking check to pass off his bullshit excuse for an offense onto another OC. At least we all seem unified this time around that the HC at Texas needs to be something beyond shitcanned, and we didn't have to lose to fucking Kansas to reach this conclusion.
Now all we can hope for is that a segment (albeit large) of our base can get it through their thick skulls that this isn't the same game it was 30-50 years ago and if we want to remain relevant in college football, we need to play the same game (within reason) as the heavyweights and aggy, or else it's shit and fuckall that we'll be competing for. 

Careful. We haven’t played Kansas yet. Or fired Tom Herman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harvdog said:

It will be great to see Urban develop all this talent. MY will really open things up without Herman trying to control everything. Is it 2021 yet?

There’s about a million reason I want Herman fired yesterday. getting to see Yurcich run the offense without Herman interfering isn’t high on the list but it is one of them. 

37 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There’s about a million reason I want Herman fired yesterday. getting to see Yurcich run the offense without Herman interfering isn’t high on the list but it is one of them. 

I just want to see him recruit against our rivals this offseason. Screen shots of their anxiety will get me to the Spring Game.

On 10/19/2020 at 1:59 PM, satyanash said:

(Scipio Tex) Texas Football Coaching Hires: The Small Time, Big Time

OU has had exactly ZERO head coaches with prior major college head coaching experience since they hired Biff Jones from LSU in 1935. Biff left two years later for Nebraska, and they’ve hired nothing but assistant coaches since then.

Texas has had 8 in the time frame of Scipio’s article which started the year Biff left Norman to replace D.X. Bible who left for Texas.

Prior to Biff, OU hired two coaches since 1902 who were head coaches at Bethany, currently an NAIA school school in Kansas. I didn’t go back any earlier than 1902  

The key to OU’s success (other than the cheating part) is they don’t tolerate mediocrity. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

29 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

OU has had exactly ZERO head coaches with prior major college head coaching experience since they hired Biff Jones from LSU in 1935. Biff left two years later for Nebraska, and they’ve hired nothing but assistant coaches since then.

Texas has had 8 in the time frame of Scipio’s article which started the year Biff left Norman to replace D.X. Bible who left for Texas.

Prior to Biff, OU hired two coaches since 1902 who were head coaches at Bethany, currently an NAIA school school in Kansas. I didn’t go back any earlier than 1902  

The key to OU’s success (other than the cheating part) is they don’t tolerate mediocrity. 

Odd because their entire state is mediocre. Also how dare you forget Howard Schnellenberger

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Odd because their entire state is mediocre. Also how dare you forget Howard Schnellenberger

Damn, I missed that one year. 

I found 4 more coaches at Texas since 1902 who had prior HC experience at current D-1 schools. That makes 12 for Texas and 2 for OU. Those 2 OU coaches lasted a grand total of 3 seasons in Norman.

Scipio’s analysis is still flawed.

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

But the cheating and tolerating criminal behavior have been key parts of their success. They’ve taken a lot of players we wouldn’t have, and they’ve kept around a lot of human refuse. Switzer and Wilkinson were notorious, but Stoops played the game, too. And I haven’t decided about Riley yet. 

37 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

human refuse

Please chose a derision that doesn't dehumanize, or better yet, describe the objectionable behavior specifically.

For example, "They’ve taken a lot of players we wouldn’t have, and they’ve kept around a lot of players who've committed crimes or gotten into trouble."

And yeah, I'm the thought police if those thoughts minimize the humanity of others because it seeps into the way people treat others.

• Fuck You 4

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

OU and Texas are different jobs, and this is probably reflected in the coaches who've been successful at these schools.

OU has a dedication to winning (including pushing beyond the boundaries of the rules) like other schools with similar histories and resource bases (eg, Neb and Tenn). The Sooners don't have the financial or, more importantly, recruiting resources that other elite schools like UT or USC do. Coaches who've been successful at OU, Wilkinson (split-T), Switzer (wishbone), and Stoops (air raid), have all installed innovative offensive systems and recruited to those systems. OU needs that innovation because of their relative lack of cache vs other elite college football programs (UT, USC) with built in recruiting advantages.

Without innovative coaching, OU can easily slide into the morass that they were in during the 1990s or become perennial also-rans like Neb or Tenn.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Yeah this moronic coach-speak, trite, cliche, nonsense is fucking stupid. "Not tolerating mediocrity" isn't an action plan for success nor is it what has made OU so successful. Getting the right coaching hire is a combination of luck, proper research, and timing/circumstances, some of which may beyond any individual's or team's  control. Now we've managed to fuck up the proper research bit, our circumstances that we do control we've fucked completely  due to terrible athletics leadership from 2009-2018 (jury's still out on CDC), and there's only so much luck can do at that point. 

That being said it's important to consider the fact that flukes of history completely change the perception of reality. Imagine how different we'd consider our respective histories of Akers turned one or two one loss seasons into a undefeated season. He was tantalizingly close a bunch of times. If you played each of those losses which were the only loss in the season how many of those losses would turn out to be Longhorn wins in a majority of a hundred trials? What if Big Game Bob pulled his Big Game Bobbiness in his only title?

How many coaches in both team's histories should have been obvious successes but turned into abject failures? Schnellenberger seemed like an obvious success given how he took Miami from an almost canceled program to a title. He resigned in a year. That's an obvious example but if you look through the history of most teams you'll find inexplicable failures and successes.

Shit is fucked, but you completely misunderstand the issues we're facing if you think not "not tolerating mediocrity" is the issue and is what separates OU from us. What causes OU's success is so much more complicated than that and what causes our current failures is also more complex than that.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

That being said it's important to consider the fact that flukes of history completely change the perception of reality. Imagine how different we'd consider our respective histories of Akers turned one or two one loss seasons into a undefeated season. He was tantalizingly close a bunch of times. If you played each of those losses which were the only loss in the season how many of those losses would turn out to be Longhorn wins in a majority of a hundred trials? What if Big Game Bob pulled his Big Game Bobbiness in his only title?

How many coaches in both team's histories should have been obvious successes but turned into abject failures? Schnellenberger seemed like an obvious success given how he took Miami from an almost canceled program to a title. He resigned in a year. That's an obvious example but if you look through the history of most teams you'll find inexplicable failures and successes.

I agree, and what you're talking about is "close game luck." OU's certainly had it during the Riley tenure.

OU regular season record under Riley in one score games (final less than 7 pts)
2017: 3-1
2018: 4-1
2019: 4-1

One score games trend to W-L that are ~ 50%, so OU record of 79% is unsustainable. This year, with a first year QB, the Sooners may have a reckoning (already they're 1-2 in such games).

Schnellenberger is poor example. He was a reactionary hire based on severely flawed logic. OU wanted to throw the ball (true), and his Miami teams had beaten OU (true), because they threw the ball (not true!), ergo he'd turn OU into a school that could throw the ball and win. This ignored the fact that he'd gone 26-23 in his last four years at Louisville and that his passing attack was no longer cutting edge.

Edited by quigley
too many commas!
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, quigley said:

Please chose a derision that doesn't dehumanize, or better yet, describe the objectionable behavior specifically.

For example, "They’ve taken a lot of players we wouldn’t have, and they’ve kept around a lot of players who've committed crimes or gotten into trouble."

And yeah, I'm the thought police if those thoughts minimize the humanity of others because it seeps into the way people treat others.

Shut up, bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, quigley said:

I agree, and what you're talking about is "close game luck." OU's certainly had it during the Riley tenure.

OU regular season record under Riley in one score games (final less than 7 pts)
2017: 3-1
2018: 4-1
2019: 4-1

One score games trend to W-L that are ~ 50%, so OU record of 79% is unsustainable. This year, with a first year QB, the Sooners may have a reckoning (already they're 1-2 in such games).

Schnellenberger is poor example. He was a reactionary hire based on severely flawed logic. OU wanted to throw the ball (true), and his Miami teams had beaten OU (true), because they threw the ball (not true!), ergo he'd turn OU into a school that could throw the ball and win. This ignored the fact that he'd gone 26-23 in his last four years at Louisville and that his passing attack was no longer cutting edge.

Sometimes you make your own luck.   Hindsight this is probably the first year rhat herm had the better qb than Riley.  Mayfield beating freshman Sam should’ve been expected.  Ou has just been better Riley’s first three years.  I think Riley inherited the better situation by far and this year has been eye brow raising.  Maybe other opponents don’t shit themselves at the sight of ou as Texas has

7 hours ago, quigley said:

But they're one and the same.  Your fans, coaches and administrators think violence against women is acceptable if it garners Ws on the football field.  That's nothing short of despicable.

Joe Mixon.  Now go get your shine box.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

But they're one and the same.  Your fans, coaches and administrators think violence against women is acceptable if it garners Ws on the football field.  That's nothing short of despicable.

Joe Mixon.  Now go get your shine box.

Sure, define the actions as despicable, even define them as despicable.

Defining them as inanimate objects or sub-human coarsens the discourse without aiding your point.

• Fuck You 4

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Shut up, bitch. 

The first step to getting out of a hole is to stop digging.

If your trying to show you're superior, using language that would make 5th graders laugh at you isn't the helping. My goal isn't to get you to lay off criticizing OU, it's allow you to do better.

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Sometimes you make your own luck.   Hindsight this is probably the first year rhat herm had the better qb than Riley.  Mayfield beating freshman Sam should’ve been expected.  Ou has just been better Riley’s first three years.  I think Riley inherited the better situation by far and this year has been eye brow raising.  Maybe other opponents don’t shit themselves at the sight of ou as Texas has

We didn’t shit ourselves at the sight of OU. We’re just shit. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

12 minutes ago, quigley said:

If your trying to show you're superior, using language that would make 5th graders laugh at you isn't the helping. My goal isn't to get you to lay off criticizing OU, it's allow you to do better.

*you're

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Shouldn’t the guy decrying words that dehumanize on an anonymous internet message board have been pounding the table for Justice to be done when players punch a girl in the face or throw their girlfriends down a flight of stairs? Where are all of quigley’s posts raging against his program’s purposeful choice to allow and enable that type of behavior? Where was he all the times OU players dehumanized women by beating them?

I guess that’s no big deal because it’s how his team stays good without the built in recruiting resources of other blue bloods, but using words that dehumanize those guys on a message board is where quigley draws the line. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Shouldn’t the guy decrying words that dehumanize on an anonymous internet message board have been pounding the table for Justice to be done when players punch a girl in the face or throw their girlfriends down a flight of stairs? Where are all of quigley’s posts raging against his program’s purposeful choice to allow and enable that type of behavior? Where was he all the times OU players dehumanized women by beating them?

I guess that’s no big deal because it’s how his team stays good without the built in recruiting resources of other blue bloods, but using words that dehumanize those guys on a message board is where quigley draws the line. 

Or holding a screwdriver to someone’s neck or being on a steroid crazed frenzy and beating a friend nearly to death. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Get this human refuse out of here

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Let me clarify: Joe Mixon is human refuse. If he were dropped in a wood chipper today, the world would instantly be a better place. Y'all have signed and protected people unworthy of protection just because they improve your chances of winning football games. It shows a complete lack of an ethical standard, and is a shows what the priorities are at the "University" of Oklahoma.

Shut up, bitch.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think you're following along, okie. What is being said here is that we don't actually find entities like Joe Mixon to be human. I know I personally don't give one iota of fuck about him being humanized. That piece of shit could get run over by a car today and I'd shrug and say "good riddance".

Damn, should have read ctj's response first.

Oh, and the period goes inside the quotation marks. 😗

8 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Yeah this moronic coach-speak, trite, cliche, nonsense is fucking stupid. "Not tolerating mediocrity" isn't an action plan for success nor is it what has made OU so successful. Getting the right coaching hire is a combination of luck, proper research, and timing/circumstances, some of which may beyond any individual's or team's  control. Now we've managed to fuck up the proper research bit, our circumstances that we do control we've fucked completely  due to terrible athletics leadership from 2009-2018 (jury's still out on CDC), and there's only so much luck can do at that point. 

Shit is fucked, but you completely misunderstand the issues we're facing if you think not "not tolerating mediocrity" is the issue and is what separates OU from us. What causes OU's success is so much more complicated than that and what causes our current failures is also more complex than that.

By not tolerating mediocrity, I’m talking about our administration more than our coaches. I can hardly count the number of times I’ve told myself that OU would never tolerate this shit (and heaven forbid we fire a loser on the tarmac during the season). And OU doesn’t appear to have done many exhaustive searches for new coaches. Two of their best (Bud and Barry) were simply the ones who their predecessors recommended. Since Royal, Texas seems to have “projects the image we want” at or near the top of the decision tree (I know, I know...Tom Herman is a bit of a head scratcher in that regard). That, and the fact that we won’t fire coaches mid season are the only reasons Urban isn’t already our next coach.  

I agree completely with your assessment of Akers, and I’ve defended him for years by arguing those same points. In addition, Texas cheated far less than most of the SWC and Oklahoma schools during Akers’ tenure. For years I shared a hunting lease with a former 80s SMU starter who openly admitted that his teammates mocked Texas for thinking they could recruit the players by appealing to a pride in playing for the flagship university. We all know there were $50 handshakes (inflation, ya know) and free meals/drinks once the players were on campus, but Texas didn’t recklessly throw money around to recruits like other teams were doing. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, quigley said:

You make some great points. We should really make an effort to humanize Joe Mixon along with every single person at the University of Oklahoma and the members of law enforcement that buried this video until his eligibility ran up. 

So let me give it a shot: Joe Mixson is a human piece of garbage and this poor girl was failed by the enabling human pieces of shit that covered up for him.

Joe Mixon GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You make some great points. We should really make an effort to humanize Joe Mixon along with every single person at the University of Oklahoma and the members of law enforcement that buried this video until his eligibility ran up. 

So let me give it a shot: Joe Mixson is a human piece of garbage and this poor girl was failed by the enabling human pieces of shit that covered up for him.

Joe Mixon GIFs | Tenor

Quigley: "But Joe Mixon is a child of GOD!

She deserved it. Wench didn't give him his sandwich!"

Mike Roach: 2021 DL Ikechukwu Iwunnah down to two schools

Ikechukwu Iwunnah is excited to be back on the field. The three-star defensive tackle from Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial was a mix of emotions following a big win over South Garland last week. Iwunnah was pleased with his performance, but he was also ready to get some rest after a long night. "I'm pleased, I'm very pleased,” Iwunnah said. “I just want to play another game right now. Nah, I'm just lying. I just want to go to sleep."

Iwunnah is still a raw prospect, but he’s working on his game. He’d like to get faster and he’s happy that he is learning the mental side of the game. "I probably need to work on my speed a little bit," Iwunnah said. "This year, I'm good with my plays. Last year, I kind of messed up a little bit. But, now, I know all my plays by heart. I'm just here to play." Iwunnah started to pick up steam in his recruitment during the spring. Though it’s been a long process, Iwuannah said he might be close and is narrowing it down between two in-state programs. "It was a long journey," Iwunnah said. "I'm still choosing, I'm still choosing between two schools. I haven't gone there yet, but, I'm still choosing. I haven't picked yet."

Which two schools are in the running? The Longhorns are a finalist, and they will face off against their I-35 neighbor in Waco for Iwunnah’s signature. "Baylor and Texas," Iwunnah said. "They're close to home. They got good facilities over there, good education. I'm just blessed I got those two." At 6-foot-4, 275 pounds, Iwuannah is ranked as the No. 53 defensive tackle in the country and No. 147 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Going from Regis and Shemar to hoping for Ike and the Pearland kid is not ideal

Did you watch Regis this year? I posted a full game somewhere but man he was terrible. Clearly he can't carry that added weight and be effective at all. It looks like he'd have to drop at least 20+ pounds again. I can't believe the difference in his game from last year to this year. The problem is that If he drops back down to 265-270 he's unlikely to be effective inside and his height/arm length at SDE is a no-go. I think Iwunnah has more potential, with rare athleticism, tons of uncoached upside (he has literally ZERO technique), and a better frame. He's a project for sure. I do not want him going to Baylor. 

There's no replacement for Shemar but I will say once again that Jonathon Jones is an absolute take, should've been from the start. Texas should be all in on flipping him away from Mizzou. Way better than Abiara, Walker, or Adeleye IMO. 

****** edit to add the link to the Regis game. He's 44 in orange. 

• Hook 'Em 3

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: Brief team, ‘21-‘23 recruiting, whatever you want Q&A

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

TEAM

Tom Herman arrived with a national reputation for showing up in the big games. He’s done okay there, especially with a month of preparation. At this stage in his Texas tenure Baylor shouldn’t be a big game, but it’s the biggest one of his head coaching career.

We didn’t dive too deep on the team this week. What we did hear wasn’t great, or bad, or really surprising. Having covered this program, news from this week was sort of expected. You have frustrated coaches who know their jobs are on the line pressing hard, which in turn has the players pressing hard and making mistakes, and the beat goes on. They didn’t have the best week of practice.

Wide receiver Jake Smith should be good to go, barring another last minute setback. If he plays they’ll look to get him going early with some easy targets. We should see more Tarik Black too. Caden Sterns and Chris Brown practiced this week and should be available. Keaontay Ingram is still RB1 but look for a bigger infusion of Bijan Robinson, especially if Roschon Johnson is still limited.

RECRUITING

The Texas staff continues to evaluate senior wide receivers in Texas and in the region, and a new name could be emerging. ESPN four-star and Vanderbilt verbal Jack Bech (Lafayette, LA) has caught the eye of the staff on senior video. The nearing 6-foot-2, 205-pounder has been a complete wide receiver and threat in the return game as a senior. Not only does he show the ability to get off of press coverage with physicality and good foot quickness, but also create separation in and out of cuts with tremendous body control. He’s also an extremely physical blocker in the run game. Bech who strongly considered Ivy League offers before committing to Vanderbilt is laser focused on academics, but wants to play against top flight competition on the field. Bech and Texas have begun communicating.

Linebacker target Terrence Cooks (Shadow Creek) announced on social media that he plans to make a decision in November, but two people close to the four-star linebacker‘s recruitment believe he could decide to hold off until December with the questions surrounding Texas, LSU defensive struggles, and Baylor not playing much to this point in the season. Oklahoma could emerge as the fourth team in the race, and should Texas A&M make a run would likely receive serious consideration. This recruitment was headed towards a commitment to Texas a month ago per a person very close to the recruitment.

Staying at linebacker, Harold Perkins continues to trend towards a national top 25 prospect in the class of 2022. While USC and many others from far away have offered, those close to the 6-foot-2, 205-pound athletic freak believe he will stay closer to his mom, who he lives with in Cypress. Perkins is originally from New Orleans, where his father still resides. Perkins, his mom, and additional family members came to Houston to get out of the path of Hurricane Katrina, and stayed in Houston post hurricane to rebuild their lives. The LSU Tigers will for sure be one of the teams to beat in Perkins’ recruitment, as his excitement level when offered by the National Champions was unlike any other offers according to a person close to his recruitment. Texas A&M and Texas will also be heavily in the mix too, as mom’s preference is very likely driving distance. Alabama will also be a threat, of course. Perkins is very close to Dickinson’s Donovan Green and P.J. Williams, and that could also factor into Perkins recruitment.

2021 Antonio Harmon, WR, (Kosciusko, Mississippi): The four-star from SEC country got a handful of crystal ball predictions to Texas this week. After checking with a few people, I don't think Harmon is a take for UT right now. The thought here for the 6-foot-4, 200-pounder is that Ole Miss and Mississippi State don't see him in their classes at this point, so Harmon might be looking around. He was on the verge of planning a trip to Austin, but I've been told that's not likely today.

2022 Domani Jackson, DB, - Mater Dei (CA): The five-star Cali corner was fully scheduled to take his 'student trip' to Austin this weekend. But due to unforeseen events, Jackson will have to postpone. This is a trip he's tried to plan for months as his interest in Texas continues to grow. Jackson has some family connections in Texas and loves visiting. I still think USC holds the upper hand today, but UT and Jay Valai are pushing the right buttons. Proceed with caution.

2022 Omari Abor, DL - Duncanville: At 6-foot-4, 240 pounds, the junior might be the state's best rush end and he's only getting stronger. His skills on the hardwood show an athleticism rarely seen in linemen. Ohio State, LSU, and Texas are pushing the hardest right now, and while most D'Ville products have spurned UT to this point, Abor has a genuine affection for this school. Good academics could also be a factor.

2023 Malik Muhammad, CB - Desoto: Identified early by the staff, Muhammad might be this cycle's Ishmael Ibraheem. Long, rangy, quick, and plays through the ball like a well-trained college corner. Oklahoma State is the loudest suitor today, but a Texas offer likely changes that.

2023 Isaiah Robinson, OT - Arlington Lamar: This big dude has the makings of a future left tackle at the next level. All 6-foot-6, 280 pounds of him. He moves well for his size; he's had to deal with summer track since he was a kid. UT being the first offer was big. I suspect OU, Okie State, and TCU to follow soon.

2023 Jalen Hale, WR - Longview: After starting as a freshman, the sophomore sensation has already broken out in 2020 and proved the prognosticators correct; he's a future star. Listed at 6-foot-2, but swears he's 6-foot-3, along with a couple Longview coaches, he plays even bigger. Auburn loves him, and UT, Texas A&M, OU are probably his next top suitors. Another plus+ athlete on the basketball court, where he was the district newcomer of the year as a freshman in 2019. Hale grew up a huge baseball fan and can actually do that well too.

To begin the Q&A, I’ll state:

1. There’s no job opening at this point in time. Which means the subject is kind of touchy. If/when the job comes open, I’ll feel better about sharing more details.

2. I’ve said things remaining quiet is a good sign. Things are still quiet, but they weren’t all that quiet on my end. Steps have been taken that tell me Scenario #1 is a distinct possibility. That isn‘t to say it‘s a foregone conclusion or anything, but if back-channeling is footsie, there might be a hand on a thigh now.

Mike Roach: Where to find Texas commits in action this weekend

The high school football season is in full swing. Texas commits are showing off their skills all over the country, and Horns247 has you covered. This will be the last week where just the lower levels of Texas high school football are on the field with an adjusted schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Longhorns currently hold 17 commitments in the 2021 class — five-star Denton Ryan athlete Ja'Tavion Sanders, four-star Katy Taylor offensive lineman Hayden Conner, four-star Port Arthur Memorial DE Jordon Thomas, four-star New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr., three-star Arlington Martin linebacker Morice Blackwell, four-star Pasadena (Calif.) John Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson, four-star Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem, three-star Hallettsville running back Jonathon Brooks, Pro Kick Australia punter Isaac Pearson, four-star Kennedale safety JD Coffey, three-star New Orleans (La.) Warren Easton wide receiver Casey Cain, three-star Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny center Michael Myslinski, three-star Austin High quarterback Charles Wright, three-star Englewood (Co.) Cherry Creek tight end Gunnar Helm and three-star Everman athlete Juan Davis as current commits in the Longhorns' 2021 recruiting class.

Let’s take a look at this week’s matchups.

Denton Ryan athletes Ja'Tavion Sanders: The Raiders (3-0) got back on the field and picked up a huge win over Denton High School on Saturday.  Ryan returns to the field against Frisco Wakeland at Toyota Stadium on Thursday at 7 PM.

Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem: The Knights (2-1) scored another win over Seagoville last week.  Kimball is back at it this week when they face off against Adamson at Sprague Complex on Thursday at 7 PM.

Kennedale safety JD Coffey: The Wildcats (5-0) defeated Benbrook in a tight contest last week.  Kennedale will face Fort Worth Western Hills this week at Wildcat stadium on Friday at 7 PM.

Port Arthur Memorial DL Jordon Thomas and CB Jaylon Guilbeau: Memorial (4-0) stayed undefeated after defeating Goose Creek Memorial last week.  The Titans are back on the road this week to face Galveston Ball at Courville Stadium on Friday at 7 PM.

New Caney EDGE Derrick Harris Jr: Harris sustained a season ending injury and will miss the rest of his senior year.

Arlington Martin linebacker Morice Blackwell: Martin (3-1) kept it rolling against Arlington High School last week. The Warriors will stay on the war path when they face South Grand Prairie at the Gopher/Warrior Bowl on Friday at 7 PM.

New Orleans (LA.) Warren Easton WR Casey Cain: The Eagles (1-2) defeated Covington last week to get their first win.  Warren Easton will face Eleanor McMain High School on Friday at 7 PM.

Katy Taylor OL Hayden Conner: The Mustangs (4-0) stayed undefeated with a win over Seven Lakes last week.  Taylor will look to keep the winning streak alive against Katy Tompkins at Katy's Rhodes Stadium on Friday at 7:30 PM.

Hallettsville RB Jonathon Brooks: The Brahmas (4-2) bounced back with a win over Boling on the road last week.  Hallettsville is back at home this week to host Yoakum at Brahma Memorial Stadium on Friday at 7:30 PM.

Everman ATH Juan Davis: Everman (2-2) took down Seguin last week in a thriller.  The Bulldogs will have a tougher test this week when they host Aledo at Marr Stadium on Friday at 7 PM.

Houston Strake Jesuit OL Max Merril: Strake Jesuit (1-2) got on the board with a win over Alief Hastings last week.  The Crusaders will have a tougher test this week when they host Shadow Creek at Crusader Stadium on Friday at 7 PM.

Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny OL Michael Myslinski: The Crusaders (1-5) continued to struggle with a loss against Westside (Fla.) last week.  Bishop Kenny is on bye this week.

Southlake Carroll QB Quinn Ewers: The Dragons (1-1) didn't play last week due to a COVID-19 shutdown.  Carroll will get back on the field at Northwest ISD Stadium against Trophy Club Byron Nelson on Thursday at 7 PM.

Lancaster WR Phaizon Wilson: The Tigers (2-0) picked up another big win in an 82-6 victory over Newman Smith.  Lancaster is back on the road this week when they face dallas Adams at Forester Field on Thursday at 7 PM.