Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

25 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Outside of Sanders, this class is a bunch of JAGS with a few raw athletes.  Bowman and Sanders are guys that can see playing time day 1 and we lost one already.  There are another 3-4 guys with raw athletic skills but they need good coaching, something that Herman has yet to prove. 

Also, we are completely fucked along the OL after this year when Cosmi leaves.  Kerstetter has played like shit and if he decides not to come back as well, we are properly fucked.  We're looking at a future OL of Jones, Angilau, Majors, who knows, Hookfin.   The depth behind them looks even worse.  

Grad transfer market better be hot...we could use another Calvin Anderson and Parker Braun

(Mike Roach) Mike at Night: How do the Longhorns fill out the 2021 WR class?

—The Longhorns have offered 29 wide receivers in the 2021 class so far. two are committed to Texas, 23 are committed elsewhere, and four prospects remain uncommitted targets on the board. How will Texas finish the class? I thought I’d take a look in Mike at Night.

—To understand how Texas will close, we must first look at what they have on board. Let’s start with New Orleans (LA.) Warren Easton wide receiver Casey Cain. Cain’s big frame and leaping ability makes him an ideal candidate for the “X” position. That position plays closest to the boundary and works in a possession role.

—Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch wide receiver Jaden Alexis is the other member of the class. Alexis shows great deep speed and his compact frame could play the “H” position in the slot or the “Z” position which plays most often to the field side and is responsible for more vertical routes.

—Let’s next take a look at the candidates still on the board. I’ll start with Antonio Harmon. A big-bodied receiver from Kosciusko (MS.), Harmon is off to a great start in his senior season. He also plays on the defensive side of the ball, and he could conceivably be a prospect there as well. Harmon certainly fits the “X” mold that Casey Cain is already filling. The Longhorns have Tarik Black and Brennan Eagles there as of now, and by the time this class reaches campus, Troy Omeire will be healthy. Marcus Washington can also figure into that position, but it appears that there is some need to add numbers there.

—Opelousas (LA) Catholic School wide receiver Keon Coleman is next on the board. The 6-foot-4, 200 pound two-sport star recently decommitted from Kansas. With his size and leaping advantage, he’d also fit with Harmon as a target at the “X”. Coleman also wants to have a legitimate shot at playing basketball wherever he goes to school, and I’d place the longest odds on him landing at Texas.

—McKinney (Texas) North wide receiver JJ Henry is the lone uncommitted in-state option. The DFW speedster is insanely productive and can be a fit at either the “H” or “Z” position. With enough speed to threaten deep but the quicks to play on the inside, Henry is the most diverse option available on the board.

—There are a few committed prospects Texas could choose to re-visit if they turn the season around or have a new coaching staff. Aledo’s JoJo Earle was the top receiver on the board this year, but he seems locked into his commitment. Mansfield Summit’s Hal Presley could look around if Baylor’s season continues to go south, and he’s a great fit for the “Z” position. The Longhorns could also re-visit Ketron Jackson, but I’m told he’s pretty locked into his Arkansas commitment.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Outside of Sanders, this class is a bunch of JAGS with a few raw athletes.  Bowman and Sanders are guys that can see playing time day 1 and we lost one already.  There are another 3-4 guys with raw athletic skills but they need good coaching, something that Herman has yet to prove. 

Also, we are completely fucked along the OL after this year when Cosmi leaves.  Kerstetter has played like shit and if he decides not to come back as well, we are properly fucked.  We're looking at a future OL of Jones, Angilau, Majors, who knows, Hookfin.   The depth behind them looks even worse.  

Oh yeah? Hey man, like, fuck you and stuff. I don't need to keep reading shit like this. Make it stop. Please?

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Oh yeah? Hey man, like, fuck you and stuff. I don't need to keep reading shit like this. Make it stop. Please?

Also I don’t need to hear from some bloviating shitbag about how Mack brown is going to scuttle our chances with urban when they converse about the job. Did you read that too?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

I worry about you. You’ll hop in on here or the football board unprompted and just go full sky is falling in a manner that’s truly depressing, not like satya’s posts where I always get a good laugh. 

None of this really matters if we get Meyer. He’ll coach the team up immediately and we’ll start winning and bringing in talent right away, just like he’s done before. Bowling Green went from 2-9 to 8-3, Utah: 5-6 to 10-2 then 12-0, UF: 7-5 to 9-3 and then won a title the next year, tOSU: 6-7 to 12-0, then national title. 

Now if we don’t get Meyer, then all your misery will be justified and everything will be fucked. But we should all just ignore that possibility until we have no other choice, otherwise the whole board will be posts just like yours and satya will start seeming like a kool-aid drinking, sunshine pumper in comparison. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5

Eric Nahlin: Even when it doesn’t, recruiting matters (offense)

Whether through comments, texts, DMs, PMs, emails, faxes, messages in bottles, telepathy, sign language, meme, or carrier pigeon, we’ve heard the IT subscribership loud and clear: YOU SIMPLY CAN’T GET ENOUGH RECRUITING COVERAGE. So maybe that’s not the case. Unless you treat Hudl like Jeffrey Toobin treats Zoom, you’re probably not all that interested in recruiting right now. Besides, that’s what @Gerry Hamilton ’s for. But just to be safe, we don’t Zoom with him either.

In an effort to make this worth the passive recruitnik’s time, I won’t mention recruiting predominantly through the lens of the 2021 class. That will likely be a transition class that will be impossible to predict, especially when factoring for transfers in, transfers out. What isn’t impossible to predict are program needs. Every cycle I mention how the season clarifies strengths and weaknesses of the roster. We’ve seen far too many of the latter in the first five games, but much of that is attributable to Tom Herman.

Let’s look at each position. Unfortunately the roster has more glaring needs than thought just two months ago.

Quarterback

I’m plussed with Charles Wright as the take in the 2021 class. I think he has a high floor and can be a good game manager at a minimum. Game managers are only as good as their scheme, playbook, play-caller, and surrounding talent, however. A lot of that is TBD. Beyond Wright, the roster is in good but not great shape. Casey Thompson and Hudson Card will battle it out for #1 next spring. Thompson has more experience, Card more upside.

I’m not forgetting about Ja’Quinden Jackson, but he’s on a different developmental curve than Card. He’s also not nearly as scheme-versatile so any new hires would have a direct effect on his realistic chances of starting one day, much less day one. It’s not pressing, but I wouldn’t be surprised if another quarterback is added, likely after one is subtracted via the portal.

Running Back

Jonathon Brooks sets a solid floor for the class, and he’s having a big year for Hallettsville, but Stan Drayton and Bryan Carrington need to keep pushing on LJ Johnson. Other than a couple costly turnovers from Keaontay Ingram, this position hasn’t been the problem for the offense, but production has been limited by the offensive line, and hit-or-miss passing game. It makes for a tough sell in recruiting. If Texas misses on Johnson, the transfer portal will need to be explored.

Tight End

Gunnar Helm is looking good this year and if you utter his name without a German accent you’re doing it wrong. Texas also has Juan Davis committed who could provide genuine versatility at the position. Of course with Jared Wiley’s emergence the only thing that can hold him back is Tom Herman. He’s the future of the position, though his blocking needs to improve. He shouldn’t leave the field.

It’ll be imperative that Brayden Liebrock’s name is kept out of the portal. He has upside as a receiver, but as was written in these pages, he was always going to require time as a blocker. How he’s not the receiving threat over Cade Brewer is beyond me. I’m not sure what will happen with Malcolm Epps. Maybe he’ll get a new lease on life if a new staff comes in. Maybe he’ll transfer.

The big outlier at the position is where does five-star defensive end Ja’Tavion Sanders end up. His preference appears to be tight end. Though I don’t see his ultimate upside on offense, he can be a very good tight end. The program needs edge rushers more than tight ends, but we’ll see how this plays out.

Wide Receiver

Texas entered the cycle needing to hit big at the position and to this point it’s been a disaster. Compounding the problem, the on-field product has matched the recruiting effort. Too often the only separation these guys are getting is between the ball and their hands. Guys who can separate from defenders and find space are sparse. Josh Moore is built more like Kate Moss than Randy Moss, yet he’s the biggest threat downfield in traffic. He should be moved to the slot to make it easier to get into open grass.

The slots aren’t staying healthy and the outside receivers can’t get open without the benefit of a coverage bust. The position needs a major overhaul by any means necessary: high school recruiting, JUCO recruiting, Ron McKelvey, transfers, etc. I do like Jaden Alexis and hope he remains in the class.

Offensive Line

I saved the best (kick in the nuts) for last. Last spring I mentioned where this group was headed from a recruiting standpoint and it wasn’t pretty. It’s actually gotten uglier.

Herb Hand has never had a sound process recruiting at Texas and it should have been addressed earlier in his tenure. He’s not arrogant, but his lackadaisical approach coupled with an arrogant program mindset was a terrible match. The second OU worked Hand’s unit for 9 sacks in the 2019 RRS, the program should have made plans to cast a much wider net.

The current roster isn’t in much better shape than the 2021 class. Too many guards, not enough tackles, and the guards aren’t all that great. I’m not sure if the issues are talent, lack of aggressive mindset/physicality, poor coaching, or a confluence, but this position group needs an even bigger re-tooling than receiver. It’ll be imperative to get Derek Kerstetter to return. Maybe he’ll be a center, maybe he’ll be a right tackle, but they need him back and with all his boneheaded mistakes out of his system.

This unit needs at least two starters from the portal, and it also needs some late steals in recruiting. Just terrible forward planning at offensive line. Or lack of development. Pick at least one.

Closing

Like interest, recruiting never sleeps, despite your recruiting interest being in deep slumber. Unlike interest, recruiting can sicken or die, and that’s where UT is now, attached to a slow IV drip. Given widespread program needs, including needs that might not be as clear as they eventually will be, the final months of this cycle and the upcoming transfer offseason will determine how well the 2021 Longhorns are positioned to win. It won’t be the only determinant, but it will be a major one.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

None of this really matters if we get Meyer. He’ll coach the team up immediately and we’ll start winning and bringing in talent right away, just like he’s done before. Bowling Green went from 2-9 to 8-3, Utah: 5-6 to 10-2 then 12-0, UF: 7-5 to 9-3 and then won a title the next year, tOSU: 6-7 to 12-0, then national title.

Next year's OL/WR group will hold anyone (including Urban) back. A starting 5 of Hookfin-Angilau-Kerstetter-Tyler Johnson?-Jones is not a recipe for success. We need a lot of lucky breaks with the transfer portal.

I can't believe the O-line's gotten to this point. It's been a program issue for years, it's not like it snuck up on the staff or anything. How do you let the OL situation get so bad when your offense is based entirely on lining up in 12 personnel and running IZ repeatedly with the occasional outside shot?

Edited by satyanash

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Next year's OL/WR group will hold anyone (including Urban) back. A starting 5 of Hookfin-Angilau-Kerstetter-Tyler Johnson?-Jones is not a recipe for success. We need a lot of lucky breaks with the transfer portal.

I can't believe the O-line's gotten to this point. It's been a program issue for years, it's not like it snuck up on the staff or anything. How do you let the OL situation get so bad when your offense is based entirely on lining up in 12 personnel and running IZ repeatedly with the occasional outside shot?

How Herb Hand is impacting the Texas football program - Burnt Orange Nation

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I don't want to accept that the staff targeted nothing but jags from 2018 and on.. I'm more in the camp that those players just need better coaching and scheme for them to succeed.  If anyone can figure it out in one offseason, it's Urban.

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I still really like Juan Davis, Blackwell, Ibraheem and Johnson in addition to Sanders in this class.

Hayden Conner, Jamier Johnson, and Jaden Alexis are all really fucking good and belong in any class in any year.

Honestly, this class is Herb Hand and Stan Drayton away from being really good despite the constant self-inflicted dickkicking in recruiting delivered by both of those fucking idiots, compounded by the disastrous product on the field, and the giant unknown status of Herman/Meyer, etc ... 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Texas Sucks Tom Herman GIF - TexasSucks TomHerman Quarterback GIFs

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Now this is more like it. There’s always a tinge of absurdity to satya’s posts that bring the laughs. Never change, satya, never change. 

12 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I don't want to accept that the staff targeted nothing but jags from 2018 and on.. I'm more in the camp that those players just need better coaching and scheme for them to succeed.  If anyone can figure it out in one offseason, it's Urban.

It's more me struggling to figure out Herman's thought process. He constantly preaches how important it is for our OL to dominate at the point of attack, and the way he runs our offense we have to win the LOS to really establish anything. Yet he's also let our OL get to the sorry state it's in now, sabotaging his own offense in the process.

Alternately, if you know the OL is such a big weakness, why not change the offense to mitigate that? Widen the splits, run more 10 personnel, put more emphasis on the short-to-intermediate passing game knowing that the defense will have to keep a spy on Sam. Is Herman desperate to win games or not? The Baylor game will teach him all the wrong lessons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's more me struggling to figure out Herman's thought process. He constantly preaches how important it is for our OL to dominate at the point of attack, and the way he runs our offense we have to win the LOS to really establish anything. Yet he's also let our OL get to the sorry state it's in now, sabotaging his own offense in the process.

Alternately, if you know the OL is such a big weakness, why not change the offense to mitigate that? Widen the splits, run more 10 personnel, put more emphasis on the short-to-intermediate passing game knowing that the defense will have to keep a spy on Sam. Is Herman desperate to win games or not? The Baylor game will teach him all the wrong lessons.

That pretty much sums up why he must be fired

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Maybe consider the fact that you're attempting to logically analyze the thinking and decision-making of a guy who has repeatedly insisted on playing a slow, useless body masquerading as a TE in the slot for his entire tenure on campus - while never actually attempting to use that position for any purpose other than spreading out wide and taking up space. Or consider the insistence on forcing Keontay Ingram down the defense's throat inside the 5 yard line over and over and over again. Or consider that this fuckface kept Drew Mehringer and Derek Warehime on his staff even after being told to have them move on. Or consider myriad other stupid shit we've seen this fucking imbecile do repeatedly. 

Once you've realized the futility of analyzing a fucking idiot incapable of introspective thought, you'll free up some more time in the day to post other negative shit that can both consternate and entertain the rest of the board. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I worry about you. You’ll hop in on here or the football board unprompted and just go full sky is falling in a manner that’s truly depressing, not like satya’s posts where I always get a good laugh. 

Now if we don’t get Meyer, then all your misery will be justified and everything will be fucked. But we should all just ignore that possibility until we have no other choice, otherwise the whole board will be posts just like yours and satya will start seeming like a kool-aid drinking, sunshine pumper in comparison. 

I know man, but I'm just trying to tell it like it is.  These posts need to be made to highlight the trajectory we're heading towards if they don't make a change this year.  I 100% agree with you that if Meyer comes on board, it basically resets recruiting for us.  Right now, we have to accept 2021 as a transition class.  If CDC and Hartzell don't fire Herman, we will then see basically a similar class next year.  The majority of recruits with elite talent that have big time offers are not even giving us the time of day.  What is there to sell to them to come here that Bama, LSU, UGA, Clemson, tOSU can't sell.  It's fucking depressing seeing LJ Johnson, Shemar Turner do a 180 and trend towards aggy.  Fucking Jimbo Fisher has a better product to sell right now (and their team is full of JAGs as well).  

I just don't want to think about what 2 transition classes will do to this program.  It's going to set us back another decade.  We have to make a move this year because this roster is still capable of competing.  Good luck getting a decent head coach to come here if we fuck up next years recruiting class as well.  With Quinn Ewers, we have an opportunity to clean up with the right head coach.  I just want to reiterate how fucking bad recruiting is going right now and how bad it's going to look next year if we don't fire this stupid fuck Tom Herman this year.

... FUCK... following this program is a beating.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe consider the fact that you're attempting to logically analyze the thinking and decision-making of a guy who has repeatedly insisted on playing a slow, useless body masquerading as a TE in the slot for his entire tenure on campus - while never actually attempting to use that position for any purpose other than spreading out wide and taking up space. Or consider the insistence on forcing Keontay Ingram down the defense's throat inside the 5 yard line over and over and over again. Or consider that this fuckface kept Drew Mehringer and Derek Warehime on his staff even after being told to have them move on. Or consider myriad other stupid shit we've seen this fucking imbecile do repeatedly. 

Once you've realized the futility of analyzing a fucking idiot incapable of introspective thought, you'll free up some more time in the day to post other negative shit that can both consternate and entertain the rest of the board. 

Someone with gif skills should make one of Brewer staying in to pass block against Baylor on the left edge only to literally pass off the guy rushing from the outside to have a free shot at Sam. The definition of a blocking surface. He’s not a threat in the passing game and he wasn’t even trying to block against Baylor, either. But coach fuck face watches film of this futility and says to himself, “How can I take Brewer off the field? Moar 12 personnel!!!!!” 

Urban immediately puts Brewer in his natural position blocking on the field goal unit or pushes him to the portal. Meanwhile Fuck Face makes him an integral part of the offense. Our OL recruiting will look amazingly better with the players we already have when we have competent coaches. 

Edited by Newy25

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Some of these young OL can be salvaged by a competent head coach and OL coach. Herman and Hand are massive net negatives.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nope said:

Ewers dad allegedly just started following a bunch of tOSU coaches

They took an unofficial there so not a surprise. Ewers isn’t going to just immediately flip, his commitment wasn’t a spur of the moment deal. And remember Urban was the first to offer him..they will want to see how that plays out

Edited by RGBIII

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

They took an unofficial there so not a surprise. Ewers isn’t going to just immediately flip, his commitment wasn’t a spur of the moment deal. And remember Urban was the first to offer him..they will want to see how that plays out

Or you’re a fucking dumbass that knows nothing except telling yourself things that make you feel better...you’ve been doing this to yourself since 2009 dude...grow up 

-sorry had to vent for a minute 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

47 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Or you’re a fucking dumbass that knows nothing except telling yourself things that make you feel better...you’ve been doing this to yourself since 2009 dude...grow up 

-sorry had to vent for a minute 

Stop talking to yourself. Get it together, man! 

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We play Cade Brewer and Kai Money at slot WR while Marcus Washington (who can actually play) and a handful of other scholarship WRs ride pine.   We keep Josh Moore on the bench half the plays while we rotate in outside WRs that run a 4.8 instead of moving Moore inside to the slot when we just have to get Epps or Black run outside (for some reason).  

We use Ingram as our short yardage back instead of Johnson.  That is ridiculous even putting aside Ingram’s fumbling, as Johnson is much more decisive and powerful hitting the hole, anyway.  

We moved one of the best pass blocking offensive tackles in the Big 12 to center.  Now we’re bad at center and right tackle instead of just one.  We had 3 years to train someone else at center, and the only other guys they even tried were Ghirmai (obvious non contributor since day 1) and a true freshman who they knew wasn’t ready.  Wow.

Nothing these coaches do makes sense with the offensive personnel.  I kind of doubt the OL is really in a healthy place even with better coaching, but at a minimum new coaches could get way, way more speed and playmaking on the field with our existing skill position players than Herman’s merry band of dumbfucks have been doing.  

This guy hasn’t changed at all since 2017 when we sat Devin Duvernay so our 5 wide formation could feature Garrett Gray, Kyle Porter, and at least two JAG WRs all making a mockery of the route tree.

It’s a good post and I’m glad someone still has the energy to recount various issues of ineptitude. Nonetheless, I start thinking about all of this shit and I just want to go hunt the guy down and whip his fucking ass. He’s purposefully a piece of shit to a fanbase and program that will have paid him over $35million when it is all said and done.

He’s a little older than me, but he’s not small enough for it not to be considered a fair fight. If I ever run into this motherfucker in person again, I’m inclined to just punch first and often until someone pulls me off or ferries me out of the area and into a ready and waiting vehicle. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s a good post and I’m glad someone still has the energy to recount various issues of ineptitude. Nonetheless, I start thinking about all of this shit and I just want to go hunt the guy down and whip his fucking ass. He’s purposefully a piece of shit to a fanbase and program that will have paid him over $35million when it is all said and done.

He’s a little older than me, but he’s not small enough for it not to be considered a fair fight. If I ever run into this motherfucker in person again, I’m inclined to just punch first and often until someone pulls me off or ferries me out of the area and into a ready and waiting vehicle. 

094a4d29-f37c-4113-a465-6e2faa5337be_text.gif

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Get in your black Escalade and race him in his white Escalade down Westlake Dr. 

Loser legally changes their name to Gerg Davis

6 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Someone with gif skills should make one of Brewer staying in to pass block against Baylor on the left edge only to literally pass off the guy rushing from the outside to have a free shot at Sam. The definition of a blocking surface. He’s not a threat in the passing game and he wasn’t even trying to block against Baylor, either. But coach fuck face watches film of this futility and says to himself, “How can I take Brewer off the field? Moar 12 personnel!!!!!” 

Urban immediately puts Brewer in his natural position blocking on the field goal unit or pushes him to the portal. Meanwhile Fuck Face makes him an integral part of the offense. Our OL recruiting will look amazingly better with the players we already have when we have competent coaches. 

Apparently he doesn’t go back and watch game film, or at least he didn’t rewatch Baylor because he spent the last 36 hours watching so much OSU that the Baylor game seems like it was 3-4 weeks ago.   No wait, he’s only watched 3 hours of OSU so he really doesn’t know much about them.   

Fire this fucking retarded Mensa asshole before he has a chance to finish burning the program down.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we lose another kid who bleeds burnt orange or at the least has always wanted to come to Texas due to head coaching ineptitude I'm going to...in the words of Jim Carrey...I'm going to piss and moan like an impotent jerk, and then bend over and take it up the tail pipe. After 10 years of disappointment somehow I still get angry about all this shit, not sure if that's a bad sign or a terrible sign. Damn you Mack lol.  

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I like the way you're thinking here, but you forget Herman's towering intellect. Like the mighty sewer rat, he's probably too crafty to let you corner him and will just stay hidden until he senses the danger has passed. Also, he probably bites, and has fleas, and rabies. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent