Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Probably Jordan Thomas.  He was down to aggy and is before committing and aggy thought he was leaning their way before momentum shifted the month of his commitment.  

As far as offensive players? Lmao who?  We have a list of guys that most big time power 5 programs didn’t even offer.  These can decide to shop around and end up at smu or UH.  This is the worst list of offensive players in a class that I can ever remember.  

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Probably Jordan Thomas.  He was down to aggy and is before committing and aggy thought he was leaning their way before momentum shifted the month of his commitment.  

As far as offensive players? Lmao who?  We have a list of guys that most big time power 5 programs didn’t even offer.  These can decide to shop around and end up at smu or UH.  This is the worst list of offensive players in a class that I can ever remember.  

Offensive Recruits:

• Wright, Cain, Merril, Helm, Myslinski don't t report an offer from A&M from 247
  • Jaden Alexis does though 👀
  • so does Juan Davis depending on how you qualify him as offensive/defensive player
  • I don't think Connor is going to look around at this point.

I had almost forgotten how many JAG's we have in this class, especially on offense...

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Out of state prospects who could finish 2021 class

If you spent any time watching election coverage last week, you probably learned a lot of things about random counties in states across the country and heard the term “pathways to victory” many times. I started thinking about the pathway for the Longhorns to finish out the 2021 class. In 2019, Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies won the majority of the state and pushed Texas outside of the state borders for a class that finished No. 3 nationally.

Texas won’t finish near No. 3 in 2021, but the pathway to finish for Texas could once again take the Longhorns outside of state borders. While the recent winning streak for the Longhorns seems to have calmed the waters of any unrest in the current class, Texas has ground to make up with several in state targets. The 2021 class currently consists of six out of state commitments and the Longhorns could be looking at more to close things out.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we take a look at the board again and tell you why it’s possible that more out of state prospects may be the way Texas closes this group.

LJ Johnson, RB, Cy-Fair

Texas flubbed the lead they built in this race and it seems that Texas A&M took advantage. While the Aggies seemed to have regained momentum, Texas isn’t going away. Texas A&M is sitting on a Top 10 ranking and running the ball well. Fortunately for the Longhorns, Johnson is still listening to Texas. It also doesn’t hurt that he’s become close with Bijan Robinson who had a big day on Saturday. If the Longhorns win out and win the conference, I can see Texas being right back in the thick of this race.

Antonio Harmon, WR, Kosciusko (MS.)

If I had to pick one out of state guy with the best odds to end up in Austin, Harmon would be that prospect. Several Crystal Ball picks came in for Harmon to end up at Texas in the last month, and mine was one of them. Harmon is developing a good relationship with Andre Coleman and he feels Texas would be a good fit for him. Harmon is looking at organizing a self-guided visit to Texas sometime in the next month or two, and that could put things over the top.

Keon Coleman, WR, Opelousas (LA.) Catholic School

Nobody really seems to know what Coleman is thinking at this time. The two-sport star opened his recruitment a few months ago and has been looking into a few other programs. Texas is a school of interest, but it doesn’t seem that Coleman is anywhere close to a decision at this point. If Texas can keep the winning going and turn up the heat on Coleman down the line, the Longhorns could close the deal with the dynamic athlete at wide receiver.

JJ Henry, WR, McKinney North

There isn’t much new with Henry right now. Nobody close to him seems to know when the McKinney North prospect might make his decision, and he hasn’t been forthcoming on who leads lately. Texas and Texas A&M should make Henry’s final group, but it’s unclear who else might produce the most competition for the Longhorns at this point. This race ran hot and cold with Texas over the summer, so it’s tough to determine where he might be leaning at this point.

Savion Byrd, OL, Duncanville

Byrd is going to continue to wait to make his decision, and Texas seems to still be holding on for dear life. It would take a lot for Texas to pull ahead in this race, but the Longhorns just need to remain in the hunt. Oklahoma and LSU surged at times during this recruitment, but I continue to hear that there is a lot of optimism in Dallas that SMU can land the all-American at the end of the year. The Longhorns might be in the race, but the odds are long.

Bryce Foster, OL, Katy Taylor

Like Byrd, Texas is hanging in the Foster race, but it will likely take a miracle for the Longhorns to close the deal. Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Oregon all seem to be ahead right now, but Texas still has a fighting chance. It will take quite a bit of maneuvering and a whole lot of luck but staying in the game is as important as anything right now.

Gharin Stansbury, DL, Franklin (LA.)

A new offer from over the weekend, Stansbury remains firmly committed to the Arizona State. That won’t stop Texas from pushing down the stretch, and it won’t stop Stansbury from listening. Stansbury has been in contact with Oscar Giles for a long time and now that the Longhorns have offered, Texas can get in the race and we will see where things stand in a few weeks.

David Abiara, DL, Mansfield Legacy

Abiara isn’t a name we’ve discussed a lot but he’s hanging around on the Texas board. Abiara is still committed to Notre Dame for all intents and purposes, but it sounds like his commitment status is a bit up in the air. Texas has an intriguing mix of academics and athletics which could land the dynamic defensive end, but school pressure is pushing Oklahoma while SMU is also in the mix for him.

Shemar Turner, DL, Desoto

Texas seemed to be running in the lead or near the top during the summer, but early season struggles and Texas A&M’s success gave the Aggies a leg up in this race. As of now, sources near the south Dallas defensive end expect Turner to end up in College Station when it’s said and done, but Texas isn’t out of the race yet.

Barryn Sorrell, DL, New Orleans (LA.) Holy Cross

Sorrell was offered along with Stansbury over the weekend, and the New Orleans defensive end said that the Texas offer was one that would resonate big time with him. Northwestern, Arizona State, Baylor, Missouri and Virginia have all offered Sorrell, and he said the Texas offer would jump the Longhorns way up his list.

Arden Walker, DL, Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek

Texas remains in contact with the Cherry Creek defensive lineman, and there’s a feeling that the Longhorns can land him if they push. Walker is teammates with Texas commit Gunnar Helm and he is considering other schools like UCLA and Colorado. Despite that, Walker seems highly interested in the Longhorns. Texas wanted to see Walker’s senior season, so we should know if they are a serious suitor for him soon.

Ikechukwu Iwunnah, DL, Garland Lakeview Centennial

Texas is still evaluating Iwunnah in his senior year, and the big defensive tackle is down to the Longhorns and Baylor. It feels like the Longhorns are still sorting through a myriad of options at the moment, so we should get a good idea of how the Longhorns feel about Iwunnah in the next month or two.

Terrence Cooks, LB, Shadow Creek

Cooks is set to make his decision this week, and Texas still seems to be in a strong position for the big, athletic linebacker. This is a race we will be dialing in on in the next few days to see how things are developing, but Cooks could be the commitment to get the Longhorns back on track on the recruiting trail.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Offensive Recruits:

• Wright, Cain, Merril, Helm, Myslinski don't t report an offer from A&M from 247
  • Jaden Alexis does though 👀
  • so does Juan Davis depending on how you qualify him as offensive/defensive player
  • I don't think Connor is going to look around at this point.

I had almost forgotten how many JAG's we have in this class, especially on offense...

It better not be Juan Davis.. he's the sleeper of this class.. He's a baller

• Hook 'Em 2

(Eric Nahlin) Scoop: Defense rounding into form, bye week presents time to heal, new names in recruiting

True to form, the defense is starting to come around in Chris Ash’s initial run with the group. The same happened with Manny Diaz in 2011, Vance Bedford in 2014, and Todd Orlando in 2017. Ash’s charges are showing consistent improvement in the front 7 while getting solid play in the secondary. Guys are improving quickly. Two guys leapt off the field and earned praise from sources after the win over West Virginia. Those two would be linebacker DeMarvion Overshown and defensive tackle T’Vondre Sweat.

Credit to Overshown for embracing the position and working each week, and also credit to linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler. Of course it all starts up front, and Sweat did a great job of filling in for an ailing Keondre Coburn. We believe Coburn’s injury to be a high ankle sprain. On the offensive side, there was some excitement over signs of life in the run game. Bijan Robinson had been building towards a breakout game and he had it. “Best feet in the program.”

Sources still vent concerns over the right personnel playing on offense. It was pointed out that Kai Money was in on 21 plays, while 16 were runs. Who is he going to block exactly? Freshman wide receiver Kelvontay Dixon was out with a turf toe, but he’s one who needs to see the field more. The feeling is the team can take the next step by simply making the plays available to them. There have been too many missed opportunities.

Confidence within the program over being able to win out is growing. Each win makes it more likely they win the next game. That’s just how it is with this group. With the bye week, the team didn’t practice on Sunday. The next two weeks will be used to get ailing bodies fixed, notably Sam Ehlinger who is dealing with myriad aches and pains in his lower body.

The hope is to have Jordan Whittington return for the KU game, but maybe they push him back to Iowa State just because. He’s the type of target Ehlinger needs right now, however, as his downfield game is severely limited and Whittington is a YAC player on short, high percentage throws.

RECRUITING MATTERS

Texas is looking to add edge pass rush ability, and the offer to Arizona State edge commit Gharin Stansbury is not tied to anyone the Longhorns have committed or are still recruiting. The 6-foot-5, 215-pounder from Franklin High in Louisiana is the younger brother of former Texas A&M and U of H defensive end Gavin Stansbury, who lives in Houston. Gavin Stansbury is close with Bryan Carrington, so there is a built in relationship on that front.

Texas defensive ends coach Oscar Giles being in contact is nothing new. “I’ve been talking to Coach Giles for a long time,” Said Gharin Stansbury. “We have a connection. Texas is Texas. It’s a great program, and I know what they could do for me in life and football,” As far as Arizona State is concerned, Texas will have to overcome a strong relationship with Herm Edwards and defensive line coach Robert Rodriguez. “Right now, I’m committed to Arizona State. I have a great connection with the coaches at Arizona State. I haven’t been on campus, everything has been virtual.”

Recruiting bullet points:

Ja’Tavion Sanders, LB/DE/TE, Denton Ryan:

One thing that could help the Longhorns in the fight to hold onto Sanders could be an offer to Houston safety commit Ty Marsh. Marsh, who is having a tremendous senior season, has been a player the staff at Denton Ryan has said should be playing Power 5 football. He could potentially be a SPUR because of a good blend of physicality at the point of attack and coverage ability. At a minimum Marsh will be a good special teams player.

Je’lin Samuels, DE, Sam Rayburn and Keith Cooper, DE, Dickinson:

While Texas extended offers to a pair of Louisiana prospects, the Longhorns remain interested in Samuels. To this point, Samuels isn’t returning the interest and is committed to SMU and Randall Joyner. Cooper is another story, as he would have interest in Texas immediately and the staff is taking a serious look. UCLA is the latest program to offer the 6-foot-5, 237-pounder with an 84-inch wing span. With Notre Dame verbal and Texas target David Abiara's recruitment by the Longhorns in question, Cooper's odds of receiving an offer should Stansbury stick with Arizona State go up. There are some rumors that Notre Dame is considering dropping Abiara for having criminal trespass charges brought against him but we haven’t confirmed that.

J.J. Henry, WR, McKinney North

The Longhorns staff remains interested in Henry, and there is a growing chance that Henry is a prospect the Longhorns could end up pushing for. There could be a slight shift from size in the 2021 class at wide receiver to playmaker. The class needs players who can separate and that’s Henry’s best trait. We’re watching Ole Miss, FSU, and maybe A&M here. Henry would thrive in the Kai Money role.

Ahmonte Watkins, ATH, Klein Forest

Texas likes Watkins. If the staff were to receive positive feedback from Watkins having willingness to play defensive back, he’s a prospect that could be offered. Watkins told IT two weeks ago he prefers running back/slot role at the next level, but is willing to be recruited as an athlete. He’s a 2021 prospect so they’ll have to figure things out soon.

Marvin Covington, CB, Lake Ridge

TCU is the latest to offer the Lake Ridge 2021 cornerback following Miami and Houston. Texas is evaluating the 5-foot-11, 180-pounder with 10.8 100-meter speed. While recruiting may seem like it's in neutral, the UT staff continues to look for defensive linemen in 2021, athletes in 2022, and rising stars in 2023. Here's the latest from each new offer.

Barryn Sorrell, DT, Holy Cross (New Orleans)

At first glance, the 6-foot-3, 250-pound three-star from NOLA is a versatile prospect, as he plays defensive tackle and tight end for Holy Cross. The former Northwestern pledge in the 2021 class has some nice tape and upside on the defensive interior. Texas joined 20 other schools in extending an offer recently, including Arizona State, Missouri, Washington State, Baylor, and Boston College. In a Covid pandemic season, he's just excited to be playing ball.

“Obviously it's been different," said Sorrell. "But it's been good and I'm just happy we are playing right now. I'm looking forward to this week going against Brother Martin, who is undefeated right now. It'll be a good test for us." As far as recruiting goes, Sorrell has the attention of a number of P5 programs. “I hear from Texas, Vanderbilt, Tulane, Memphis, and Kansas," said Sorrell. "I'm interested in UT a lot. I think Texas is a great football program and yes I'm open to a self-guide virtual visit.” A Zoom meeting with Oscar Giles and Mark Hagen is in the works as the Horns try to find a contingency in the case Desoto's Shemar Turner goes elsewhere.

DJ Wesolak, DE, Boonville (MO)

I'm surprised Wesolak isn't higher rated. Then I see the offer list and it's only a matter of time for the junior. Penn State, Tennessee, OU, and Missouri have already offered. At 6-foot-5, 225, the three-star defensive end is enjoying a strong junior campaign. "I feel that Covid has been difficult for a lot of athletes, but I took advantage of it," Wesolak said. "I used all the free time we had from last year and this year to just improve my body and game and it honestly helped me."

Wesolak's season is already concluded, so now he can focus on the offseason, which includes more work, but also more attention towards recruiting. "All the colleges that’s offered me have been really close throughout this process," Wesolak said, diplomatically. "It’s been amazing honestly and a great time. It’s great to build these relationships and learn about programs.“

One of those schools caught his attention with an offer last week. "Texas is an amazing football program and school that often dominates in almost all sports," said Wesolak. "They produce great, talented athletes, on and off the field. After Covid, I’m really looking forward to taking a visit to Austin. This is a guy worth watching, regardless of the future of UT's staff.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington Martin

Something is in the water at Martin high school. The defensive talent on that campus is ridiculous. Morice Blackwell (Texas commit), Ernest Cooper, Trevell Johnson, and now Javien Toviano are all defensive players who hold Texas offers. At 6-foot, 185 pounds, Toviano already has the look of a future star. His brother, Juma, is a running back at Rice. And even though Texas and Rice are his only offers today, there's little doubt that'll change over the next few seasons. His playmaking ability has been apparent since his freshman year, and he's still learning. Just ask him.

"My football season has been a teaching lesson each week," said Toviano. "Just knowing you're fighting to play just one more week at a time. Enjoying the little things and enjoying playing beside your teammates/brothers because once it’s all said and done, you’ll never get the opportunity again." Very introspective from such a young man, which is another reason I think this kid's future is legit.

Besides UT and Rice, other schools are reaching out. "I hear from Baylor often, but not too many colleges contact me right now," Toviano said. "They contact my coaches all the time though." What about the Longhorns? “Texas is the definition of what Texas style of football is," Toviano explained. "Gritty, grinding, and gutsy. Planning on visiting Austin as soon as COVID slows.” I expect to see his stock soar this offseason, because he's got elite traits and mentality to thrive at the next level.

On 11/8/2020 at 4:41 PM, westexhorn said:

Please don't tell me is Sanders...

Per Nahlin's earlier report: 

Conner has long been a frontman in the class in staying active in group chats and checking in on recruits as a couple newer commits have joined him in staying vocal with the rest of the class. "Charles Wright, he's a stud and a great recruiter," he said. "Derrick Harris, Ja'Tavion [Sanders]. We all text in our group chat and keep up great relationships with everybody." Besides, if it was Sanders, I would think OU would be the choice moreso than aggy.  

Maybe Ish?  

A linebacker core of Cooks and Blackwell would be amazing.  If Harris can get back healthy, this would be an outstanding group.  Thomas and go after Ike and it's a solid DLine--prolly better than we should be able to get.  I can't see any linebackers and defensive linemen thinking wow, this defense is regressing.  However, if I'm a corner, I may be researching some personnel.  I'm good with Johnson and Coffey.  Still need 2 true corners.      

On offense, we have Wright and Conner, please keep Alexis and Davis at all costs.  Maybe Cain is reaching out to aggy--just hoping it's none of those already listed.  

17 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Per Nahlin's earlier report: 

Conner has long been a frontman in the class in staying active in group chats and checking in on recruits as a couple newer commits have joined him in staying vocal with the rest of the class. "Charles Wright, he's a stud and a great recruiter," he said. "Derrick Harris, Ja'Tavion [Sanders]. We all text in our group chat and keep up great relationships with everybody." Besides, if it was Sanders, I would think OU would be the choice moreso than aggy.  

Maybe Ish?  

A linebacker core of Cooks and Blackwell would be amazing.  If Harris can get back healthy, this would be an outstanding group.  Thomas and go after Ike and it's a solid DLine--prolly better than we should be able to get.  I can't see any linebackers and defensive linemen thinking wow, this defense is regressing.  However, if I'm a corner, I may be researching some personnel.  I'm good with Johnson and Coffey.  Still need 2 true corners.      

On offense, we have Wright and Conner, please keep Alexis and Davis at all costs.  Maybe Cain is reaching out to aggy--just hoping it's none of those already listed.  

My guess is Ibraheem, Brooks, zero clue who the offensive player would be

Mike Roach: Ja'Tavion Sanders updates his commitment status

Ja'Tavion Sanders is in the middle of another dominant season. The five-star Denton Ryan athlete is on a mission to help the Raiders win a state title, and he's been committed to Texas for over a year. Despite losing a commitment from Sanders' teammate Billy Bowman a few months ago, Sanders said everything is good with his commitment. "I'm feeling good with them right now," Sanders said. "I just love talking to them."

Sanders is a top priority for Texas to keep on board in the 2021 class. Sanders said the staff keeps in contact with him every day, and he has a good relationship with Tom Herman and Oscar Giles. "They've been talking to me every day," Sanders said. "I talk with coach Giles and coach Herman." Sanders isn't focused on anything else outside of football right now. His ultimate goal is to end the season lifting a trophy. "Just know that I'm not leaving high school without a championship," he said.

Sanders is working on his game on both sides of the ball. He said he's seeing improvement in just about every area on the field. "Everything," Sanders said. "I have improved and I can improve on everything because I'm not at my best yet." Football was never a given this year. Sanders said that he's blessed to be back on the field with his teammates. "Just being on the field with my brothers," he said. "We've been playing together since freshman year. This is the game we love and we're going to try to win it all."

At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Sanders is ranked as the No. 2 athlete in the nation and No. 2 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

He should absolutely be retained regardless of coach IMO...he has been great, Overshown looks like a day 2 pick at linebacker as he continues to develop

Yeah. There were some glowing reviews about him when he got hired and they seem accurate. Overshown’s development has been wild. He just started playing LB for the first time ever in July. And it seems like Hutzler is a good recruiter too.
At this point, I’d probably be on board with keeping the entire defensive staff, besides maybe Hagen. Though I‘d prefer trying to nab Odom. He was who I wanted to hire last year, and Arkansas’ defense has been way better than expected. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Sanders didn't say he was 100% committed so I feel better about that one now.

are you sure?

26 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Ja'Tavion Sanders updates his commitment status

he has a good relationship with Tom Herman and Oscar Giles. "They've been talking to me every day," Sanders said. "I talk with coach Giles and coach Herman." 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. There were some glowing reviews about him when he got hired and they seem accurate. Overshown’s development has been wild. He just started playing LB for the first time ever in July. And it seems like Hutzler is a good recruiter too.
At this point, I’d probably be on board with keeping the entire defensive staff, besides maybe Hagen. Though I‘d prefer trying to nab Odom. He was who I wanted to hire last year, and Arkansas’ defense has been way better than expected. 

I'd rather keep Ash.. only because he doesn't try to over do it.  He just puts his talented players in position to show off their talents/skills.. Recruits who envision themselves as cover corners, well they will have that shot here under his defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I could see Giles getting bumped to DT coach and bringing in someone like Joyner from SMU...dude seems like an upcoming star

18 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'd rather keep Ash.. only because he doesn't try to over do it.  He just puts his talented players in position to show off their talents/skills.. Recruits who envision themselves as cover corners, well they will have that shot here under his defense.

Ash is showing real improvement, and I think he’s at least a solid coach, but our defense still hasn’t been good this year even though we have a lot of talent.  Hopefully we keep steadily improving and we can blame the awful start on COVID killing his offseason, but I still think Odom has proven to the better coach over a longer period of time. I liked his resume better before this year, and he’s doing more with less at Arkansas despite the same COVID issues Ash has faced. 

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Gerry Hamilton was talking up Hagen for being a big part of the DT development.

43 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Gerry Hamilton was talking up Hagen for being a big part of the DT development.

I haven’t seen a whole lot of development there, but it’s always hard to know how much impact a specific position coach has, especially when he only has part fo the DL. If Urban came in and kept Hagen, I wouldn’t be upset. 

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I haven’t seen a whole lot of development there, but it’s always hard to know how much impact a specific position coach has, especially when he only has part fo the DL. If Urban came in and kept Hagen, I wouldn’t be upset. 

yeah what's missing along the DL is another consistent DE opposite of Ossai.  I like Ojomo, but he's more suited to take TQ's spot. The interior is stacked with Coburn, Sweat, Collins, TQ in rotation.

Gerry Hamilton: Terrence Cooks ready to commit Saturday

One of the top remaining in-state targets in the class of 2021 is set to come off the board Saturday. Shadow Creek linebacker Terrence Cooks II will announce his decision November 14 with a final four of Texas, Baylor, LSU and Georgia, with the Longhorns and Bears expected to be where the pick ultimately is made between. Inside Texas spent a few hours on the road Monday, concluding with a stop at Shadow Creek to speak with the rangy linebacker prior to his announcement.

Inside Texas: As you close in on a decision, what has been your biggest takeaway from the recruiting process?

Terrence Cooks II: “This recruiting process has been hectic. I’ve been evaluating since I started getting offers. Evaluating every offer to see how they could benefit me. My family and I think it’s ironic how I’ve had two Texas schools in my top four, and I preached all my life that I would leave Texas and always planned to leave Texas for college, but fell in love with two Texas schools.”

IT: When you sit down and talk to your parents about the decision, what will it ultimately come down to?

TC II: “So now I’m considering my PT. Considering how a team is going to use me. I want to be a versatile player like Isaiah Simmons. And are you a college that actually preaches academics, and tries to push me into a different major or are you college that is about academics? It’s my overall vote. Of course, I will respect my parents and what they have to say, but it’s my overall vote as to where I want to go. If I can see myself at the school is big, and relationships with coaches. Everywhere I have played well, I have had a really good relationship with the coaches that are like a family.”

IT: What is a key aspect of the player/coach relationship that you seek?

TC II: “If I can sit there and think of my coach as a father figure, that’s big. You play well in a system when you have respect for the coaches. I don’t like sugarcoating. You can tell when a coach is lying. If a coach comes at me straight up, and says he can’t promise that he will be there the whole time I’m at a school, that’s keeping it real.”

IT: What gives Baylor a legitimate opportunity to be the one school left standing Saturday?

TC II: “The only reason I’m considering them is Coach Aranda is a defensive genius. Everywhere he coaches, they have a top 5 level defensive program. The way he uses linebackers, and utilizes defensive players is it.”

IT: What is it that Texas has done to have an opportunity to be the pick Saturday?

TC II: “Coach Coleman (Hutzler). I trust him. I believe in him as a coach and father. The way they are talking about me being utilized in a versatile way is different than others schools. The defense has been playing good. People are trying to critique the defense, but a new staff that came in and didn’t have spring practice and had to teach by Zoom, they are playing good and getting better.”

IT: What is it about LSU and Georgia that has kept them under consideration?

TC II: “Who wouldn’t love Death Valley and the prestige of LSU? Georgia has the prestige too, and their linebacker play has been great.”

Cooks II plans to major in chemical biology. He mentioned that he has been in constant communication with Texas and Baylor, but to a lesser extent with LSU and Georgia in the last month.

(Justin Wells) Recruiting: New 2021 OL Austin Uke on the radar

In the 2021 recruiting cycle, it's been widely known that Texas has had some difficulties along the offensive line. We're not here to opine on that issue, but more to catch up with a new target on the UT big board. Parish Episcopal's Austin Uke is the latest offensive tackle to get the staff's attention from the C/O 2021. At 6-foot-4, 265 pounds, and an 81' 1/2 wingspan, he's got the size and frame for tackle at the division one level.

The Holy Cross commit holds 11 offers, including USC, Vanderbilt, UH, and SMU, with the Trojans making the call over the weekend.  The senior played three games as a junior at Dallas Jesuit before transferring. Now, he's blocking for SMU quarterback pledge Preston Stone. Unlike a handful of tackle offers in this cycle, Uke has some real upside. This season has be tumultuous for high school football dealing with a pandemic. Uke is adapting.

"Honestly, Covid’s made things tough," said Uke. "Not being able to train as often, as well as not being able to get with the team that much, but we’ve managed to adapt to our new circumstances and play great. I’m looking forward to Nolan Catholic next week in the district championship. They have a lot of good guys including some P5 defensive linemen and a four-star running back, so that should be really fun. It’ll be another great test for our team."

After Southern Cal offered, a handful of other programs are reaching out. "Right now, I’m mainly hearing a lot from Florida State, SMU, and USC," said Uke. "I think Texas is a phenomenal school with a really good football program. Plus, I know a couple players on that team as well. I've spoken to coach (JM) Jones and coach (Jake) Langhi a few times already."

A Zoom meeting with Herb Hand could be in the works. I'd give SMU the early nod here, simply from proximity and his current signal-caller being pledged to the Ponies. But I also get the sense his stock is rising and a Texas offer might make a difference. This class needs tackles. Get in line, Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1