Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Mike at Night: Thoughts on Max Merril, intel on Terrence Cooks

—I took in a matchup between Shadow Creek and Strake Jesuit tonight. Primarily I was there to see Terrence Cooks and Max Merril. I was also able to gather some information from the game as well as thoughts on how they played.

—I’ll start with Merril. The Texas commit is a tad shorter than I thought he’d be, but he’s got great length. While standing in pre-game I noticed that his hands nearly touch his kneecaps while he’s standing straight up. It looks like he may not be done growing, and the length should play for him. Merril didn’t have the look of a guy like Sam Cosmi where the ceiling is really high, but I thought there were some very encouraging things about his game. He bends naturally and moves really well. He’s nasty in the run game and plays with a good motor. His technique is a bit sloppy as a pass blocker, but that can be cleaned up. Overall, I came away more impressed with him than my original expectation. Of all the secondary options Texas offered this summer, I think he’s clearly the best.

—Terrence Cooks has been playing with a club on his hand since the beginning of the season. Each week the club seems to get bigger and this week it was comically big. Cooks still was active and he flashes freakish athleticism from time to time. Strake Jesuit’s offense had a lot of trouble, so Cooks didn’t get to really show his stuff, and he was somewhat hampered by the club. Still, he’s exactly the type of linebacker Big 12 teams are looking for.

—After talking with Cooks and those at Shadow Creek, I get the feeling Texas still holds the edge here. Cooks admitted as much to me on the record, and he credited the relationship he has with Coleman Hutzler as a big part of that. Hutzler has also been the guy to make the biggest impression on Cooks’ mother, and I was told Texas is definitely her preference from what anyone who knew her would guess. I was also told that Xavion Alford has been very positive with the feedback to the Shadow Creek coaches and that’s helping Texas a bit. If I had to guess from our interview, I’d say LSU is in second place with Baylor and Georgia rounding out the Top 4.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/22/2020 at 11:42 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Shouldn’t the guy decrying words that dehumanize on an anonymous internet message board have been pounding the table for Justice to be done when players punch a girl in the face or throw their girlfriends down a flight of stairs? Where are all of quigley’s posts raging against his program’s purposeful choice to allow and enable that type of behavior? Where was he all the times OU players dehumanized women by beating them?

I guess that’s no big deal because it’s how his team stays good without the built in recruiting resources of other blue bloods, but using words that dehumanize those guys on a message board is where quigley draws the line. 

You'll have to remind me when I said I supported it. I didn't, and I don't.

I also don't think that a person should be define by his single worse action if there is contrition and advancement.

And definitely don't support language that makes him subhuman.

• Fuck You 1

On 10/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, closetojumping said:

I don't think you're following along, okie. What is being said here is that we don't actually find entities like Joe Mixon to be human. I know I personally don't give one iota of fuck about him being humanized. That piece of shit could get run over by a car today and I'd shrug and say "good riddance". I'd think the same about the people within the police department in Norman and the legal system there who hid the camera footage and covered for him for multiple years. 

You see, while I value human life, I wouldn't lend the sweat off of my balls to people who foment corruption and abuse and those who protect such behavior. Society would be better if we could just put the proven female beaters, rapist and child abusers into a spaceship and launch them all directly into the sun. Maybe pack a new one up every Tuesday and repeat the cycle. 

I realize you're against that kind of position under the guise of "but we should hold hands and love all humanity" while it's quite obvious to the rest of us that you know fully well without the female beaters and other violent criminals, OU couldn't regularly field a fucking football team. 

Your words of derision hurt the discourse and yourself.

People are multidimensional. I'm better at some things than others, and I'm better one day than the next. Using the extreme example, Mixon wasn't at his worst one day and at one instance. Do you deny that he can improve beyond it?

If you carry your simplistic view beyond your internet bluster into your real life, most people will eventually disappoint you. They have and will make severe mistakes. Those people won't be famous and they won't be caught on camera, but those instances have and will occur. Hopefully, in the real world, you'll be able to find a way to use your ability and position to help them succeed beyond it.

RE: the Mixon situation. I didn't support his return to OU. I'd have like to have seen him transfer. It would have afforded him an opportunity to more definitively state he'd paid a price and learned from the incident. I was also baffled and disappointed by OU giving Green-Beckham a roster spot.

• Fuck You 2

On 10/22/2020 at 11:45 AM, Newy25 said:

on a steroid crazed frenzy and beating a friend nearly to death. 

I'm guessing your referring to Dusty Dvoracek, who I'd view a positive example of can be done with a second chance.

Dvoracek was addicted to alcohol and did almost kill a friend. Stoops made him sit out a year and get clean had a zero tolerance policy. Dusty graduated, got drafted, and is calling the UT-Baylor game today.

If he'd been thrown into the trash heap, his recovery would undoubtedly been harder.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 10/22/2020 at 10:27 AM, Scholz said:

But they're one and the same.  Your fans, coaches and administrators think violence against women is acceptable if it garners Ws on the football field.  That's nothing short of despicable.

Joe Mixon.  Now go get your shine box.

Please see above.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, quigley said:

Please see above.

You were “baffled” Mixon and DGB were coddled? Why? There’s never any pushback from your fanbase, coaches, administrators or local prosecutors for any shitty human behavior. None. Ever.

Tou yourself do anything whatsoever during the Mixon coverup? Besides meekly stating years later you were against it? Allegedly? Stop buying tickets? OU gear? Fire off a strongly worded email? Anything?

Mike Roach: Recruits react to UT's double-digit win over Baylor

Texas scored a 27-16 win over Baylor today. The first win in a month helped to stop a two-game slide. Horns247 spoke with several recruits to gauge their reaction.

2022 Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic DB Jaeden Gould — "I think it was a statement win. There may have been some questions after the tcu and Oklahoma games but this game definitely showed that they are an elite program and can compete with the best."

2021 Hallettsville RB Jonathon Brooks — "Great team win. Got to keep rolling."

2023 John Paul II CB Braxton Myers — "Texas played well offensively with 1 turnover. Defensively the team played well as a group by getting off the field on 3rd downs the majority of the time."

2023 Wylie East DE Anthony James — "My dad said it to me best. If you can control the line of scrimmage you will win a lot of games. Solid line play."

2022 Mansfield Timberview DB Landon Hullaby — "It was a good game I like how the defense stepped up this game."

2022 Manvel LB Justin Medlock — "They looked good. They put it all together and looked like one of the best teams in the nation."

2023 DeSoto WR Johntay Cook — "Good team win."

2022 Dickinson TE Donovan Green — "It was a good, grind it out win."

2021 New Caney LB Derrick Harris Jr. — "Didn’t really watch it. But I heard defense was looking good so that’s good, and a win is a win also."

2022 Frisco Liberty WR Evan Stewart — "They played a good game offense and defense executed."

2021 Shadow Creek LB Terrence Cooks — "Good team win and a good gameplan."

2021 Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch WR Jaden Alexis — "It was a great team win and football is a hard game and it’s great to see them fighting every week.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, quigley said:

Your words of derision hurt the discourse and yourself.

People are multidimensional. I'm better at some things than others, and I'm better one day than the next. Using the extreme example, Mixon wasn't at his worst one day and at one instance. Do you deny that he can improve beyond it?

If you carry your simplistic view beyond your internet bluster into your real life, most people will eventually disappoint you. They have and will make severe mistakes. Those people won't be famous and they won't be caught on camera, but those instances have and will occur. Hopefully, in the real world, you'll be able to find a way to use your ability and position to help them succeed beyond it.

RE: the Mixon situation. I didn't support his return to OU. I'd have like to have seen him transfer. It would have afforded him an opportunity to more definitively state he'd paid a price and learned from the incident. I was also baffled and disappointed by OU giving Green-Beckham a roster spot.

sorry.  Us haughty Texans hate guys that beat women. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, quigley said:

You'll have to remind me when I said I supported it. I didn't, and I don't.

I also don't think that a person should be define by his single worse action if there is contrition and advancement.

And definitely don't support language that makes him subhuman.

He was contrite over getting caught.  Broke her jaw, which had to be wired shut, causing her to lay out of school for a year.  Seems like a prison term might be in order.

And fucking Dvorcak got a redshirt year out of his near murder.  

I don’t have a lot of compassion for the entitled scum bags that ou produces. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, quigley said:

I'm guessing your referring to Dusty Dvoracek, who I'd view a positive example of can be done with a second chance.

Dvoracek was addicted to alcohol and did almost kill a friend. Stoops made him sit out a year and get clean had a zero tolerance policy. Dusty graduated, got drafted, and is calling the UT-Baylor game today.

If he'd been thrown into the trash heap, his recovery would undoubtedly been harder.

Yes he was drunk at the time he beat his friend nearly to death. That was in addition to the obvious signs of steroid use he displayed. I’m sure glad OU has a zero tolerance policy on attempted murder. If he had killed him, would that have been the line he could not cross to lose his scholarship? 

IT Recruiting Talk

Spoiler

Prospects Texas would and could make a run at post-coaching change.

Early enrollees:

Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer, OL’s, All Saints
The Brocks are set to enroll in Alabama in January. It would have to take a major development to flip the duo, but Texas could get in the living room. Key factors will be OL and S&C hires, as well as OC.

Shemar Turner, DE/T, DeSoto
The states top uncommitted prospect is on schedule to graduate in December, and Texas A&M continues to be way out in front after Texas closed the gap in August prior to the early season struggles. Alabama is also in the hunt here. He plans to announce at the Under Armour All-America Game January 3rd.

Clayton Smith, OLB, Texas High
The Oklahoma commit is a December graduate and is currently locked into OU. Texas looked outstanding here early, but even with a new staff, he seems sold on the Sooners. Texas would make one more advance, though.

Regular enrollees:

Donovan Jackson, OT/G. Episcopal
The Ohio State commit was a one-time heavy lean to the Longhorns before the disappointing 2019 season. The reasons he was high on Texas as a university and football program would come back to light with the flick of the switch.

Savion Byrd, OT, Duncanville
While Oklahoma and SMU have been considered the favorites for the ultra athletic tackle at various times during his recruitment, he has always stayed in contact with the Texas staff to the point of talking about making a student visit last weekend that didn't transpire.

Terrence Cooks, LB, Shadow Creek
Cooks has been a Texas lean for a long time, but also continued to strongly consider Baylor, and LSU for a brief time. Oklahoma is also in the picture, but Cooks has the best relationships with the Texas staff and education matters. November 14th seems to be his current decision date. Even with all the uncertainty, Texas is in a good spot, but his relationship with linebacker coach Coleman Hutzler is a major reason.

Landon Jackson, DE, Pleasant Grove
The LSU pledge committed to the Tigers last spring, right after the NFL Draft. After watching 14 players selected, Jackson committed to the Bayou Boys. I don't think the door is closed on his recruitment, but I'd be geniunely surprised if he looked elsewhere.

LJ Johnson, RB, Cy-Fair
Texas was in a great spot to land a commitment prior to the season, and Johnson has continued to stay in consistent communication with Stan Drayton and Bryan Carrington during the season. Texas A&M is looking to pounce, but Johnson continues to take his time.

JoJo Earle, WR, Aledo
It’s going to be tough to pry Earle from LSU based on a conversation at Aledo in September. If T.J. Finley continues to look the part for the Tigers, the job would get tougher for Texas. With that said, Earle has remained in contact with Texas this season.

David Abiara, DE, Mansfield Legacy
The Notre Dame “soft” commit has looked very good on the field in 2020, and the Longhorns were admittedly the program that would have the best shot if he were to flip. Abiara and Texas remain in contact. He also has a quality relationship with SMU defensive line coach Randall Joyner. Strong academics and football matter a lot here.

Tunmise Adeleye, DE/DT, Tompkins
The one-time Ohio State verbal is now down to Alabama, Florida and Texas A&M. Adeleye has taken a look towards Austin a few times, and could again. A run here by Texas wouldn't be a waste of time.

Andrew Mukuba, S, Austin LBJ
Mukuba has remained in contact with Texas since committing to Clemson. That won’t likely change until he signs an LOI.

Camar Wheaton, RB, Lakeview Centennial
Wheaton has leaned to Oklahoma and Texas at various point in his recruitment, but has not gotten to the point where he was ready to commit. Alabama and LSU are in the mix too.

Bryce Foster, OG, Katy Taylor
Texas A&M having a successful season has helped the Aggies, but Oklahoma was working from a position of strength prior to the season. Texas and Oregon remain in the mix with the Longhorns being talked about as the No. 2 team prior to the season. Elite resumes matter in his recruitment.

Jaydon Williams, OLB, South Oak Cliff
Texas lost out to Antonio Pierce and Herm Edwards, and the Longhorns would have to overcome a strong Pierce relationship here. Texas has remained in contact with the twitched up playmaker with Williams making contact first recently.

Jalon Williams, CB, South Grand Prairie
Texas has remained in contact with the speedster and Boston College commit. A push here could result in a flip.

Je’lin Samuels, DE, Sam Rayburn
SMU defensive line coach Randall Joyner did a tremendous job getting his hooks into the 6-foot-6, 225-pounder prior to Power 5’s Arizona State and Colorado offering. Joyner also beat Texas and Texas A&M to the punch. Both schools have genuine interest. Samuels has been in contact with Texas since giving his verbal to the Mustangs.

Hal Presley, WR, Mansfield Summit
The Baylor verbal has remained in contact with Texas off and on since committing, and a strong push from the Longhorns could make an impact. Texas could make a real run here. Baylor is looking like it will have a rough season.

J. Michael Sturdivant, WR, Marcus High
Football and academics are key for the California verbal. Being 6-foot-2, 185 with laser 4.56 speed and strong academics could make him very attractive. He’s one we’re really watching. A new staff would have a fresh start.

Chris Murray, DE/LB, Hirschi
Murray hasn’t really entertained other schools since committing to TCU, but he would be worth a shot — just turn on his senior video.

Ezra Oyetade, OC, Lakeview Centennial
This is a recruitment that Texas could have easily won if they had offered during the summer. Now, Arizona State has a solid relationship that would have to be overcome.

Connor Heffernan and Tate Williams, OL’s
The Baylor commitments have become good buddies. A new staff searching for quality OL’s to add to the 2021 class would could take a swing here, possibly at both.

Omari Abor

The 6’3, 240-pound four-star defensive end holds 23 offers, including Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and OU.

At Duncanville, the standard is playing for titles. After falling short in the last two state championship finals, getting back is the priority.

“The first part of the season has been great so far,” said Abor. “I’m really looking forward into playing Desoto and Cedar Hill. Those are going to be great games to watch.”

Abor also excels on the hardwood, as well as track and field. He was District 8-6A Defensive Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore for the Panthers.

Abor is in contact with a laundry list of programs, as he continues to build relationships with coaching staffs across the country.

“I hear a lot from Ohio State, Oklahoma, Washington, Nebraska, USC, Texas, and LSU,” Abor said. “Texas would be a cool school to go to since I’m from Texas. Because outside of football, companies feel a lot different from the University of Texas because of the good academics they have. Maybe I’ll get to visit when all of this corona dies down a little bit.“

At a place that hasn’t been the most kind to UT, Duncanville’s Abor has a genuine interest in the Longhorns. Texas and Oklahoma stand out currently, and it’ll be interesting to follow this recruitment no matter who’s on the staff.

Isaiah Robinson

It’s rare when Texas is a prospect’s first scholarship offer, but Isaiah Robinson might be that type of talent.

At 6-foot-6, 280, the 2023 offensive tackle has the makings of a premier prospect.

That first offer always means something to a player, some more than others. And sometimes it happens in the beginning of your first varsity season.

“It feels nice,” said Isaiah. “It's still a lot to take in, but it's a really good feeling. I’m focusing on the first part of the season right now. I think I've been pretty good at adjusting to the speed of varsity games and even without the full experience of a full stadium, I can still feel the energy.”

His father, Darneilous Robinson, has pushed athletics in his boys since childhood. Running summer track can develop anyone.

“Isaiah is the second of three boys and I made sure they were all involved in track,” said Darneilous. “They all love it too. Isaiah still participates in shot and discus and was ranked 12th nationally in shot and 27th nationally in discus as a 14-year old last year. He ran hurdles until he was 12 and was 3rd leg on our 4x1 for our 12u relay team.”

For a kid that’s 6-foot-6, that’s how you create a monster. His recruitment is still in its infancy, but Isaiah loves the first school to offer.

“I've only heard from Texas so far,” said Isaiah. “I'm pretty excited about other schools possibly showing interest in me soon. I'm definitely interested in visiting Texas. I know Austin would be a really nice city to go to college. Texas has a nice program. I've seen people who've done really well in their program.“.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Without question, we should also be praying for a delayed signing day

If they did cancel ESD, this mean players cannot enroll on campus in January to participate in winter conditioning and spring practices?  Because I'm pretty sure most of the players we really want all plan on enrolling in January.

35 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If they did cancel ESD, this mean players cannot enroll on campus in January to participate in winter conditioning and spring practices?  Because I'm pretty sure most of the players we really want all plan on enrolling in January.

I haven't followed the rules changes to the nth degree, but I'm guessing anyone graduating early can still enroll and sign with whomever they'd like, irrespective of when NSD is, just as it was before an ENSD existed. Postpoing an early one would just delay the signings of guys who aren't graduating early.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I haven't followed the rules changes to the nth degree, but I'm guessing anyone graduating early can still enroll and sign with whomever they'd like, irrespective of when NSD is, just as it was before an ENSD existed. Postpoing an early one would just delay the signings of guys who aren't graduating early.

Although it would make a bigger difference with the non EE kids, would also give the new coach a chance to work on flipping EE all the way up until they enrolled early. 

Edited by bEastTexas
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Do you see him at CB or WR?

I think he has more upside/potential as a CB. He's a project though on either side of the ball and I don't know that he'd be a surefire ESD take (he's a good guy to monitor for a Feb flip candidate for sure). I love his speed, but if you were going to sign a CB with that kind of speed it would/should be Jalon Williams. Not only does he have comparable incredible speed, he has a better frame and most importantly Williams is actually good at football already.  The lack of offer and attention for Jalon Williams (CB) and Jonathon Jones at DE simply don't make sense to me. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalon-Williams-46085246/

https://247sports.com/player/jonathan-jones-46098189/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If Herman is reassigned or fired well before signing day 1, I’m unclear about what that would mean for recruiting. Would it lead to heavy attrition of commits or maybe the last minute addition of a few flips. Maybe a little of both? Assume it’s Urban in that scenario.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

If Herman is reassigned or fired well before signing day 1, I’m unclear about what that would mean for recruiting. Would it lead to heavy attrition of commits or maybe the last minute addition of a few flips. Maybe a little of both? Assume it’s Urban in that scenario.

I think the ones still in the boat arent really committed to Herman at this point. I think it would come down to what position coaches are retained. I think there would be a couple flips, maybe even one big one. I think the decommits would be some trimming of the fat by Urban and some guys who position coach got cut like Myslinski

I think it would depend on how early it happens.  If Urban is named at least by Thanksgiving, I think all bets are off with this being a "transition" class.  Give Urban one month before ESD and I think our recruiting outlook would flip quickly.  He is one of the few guys out there that has some serious name value that would resonate with recruits.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Wouldn't matter if we get Meyer.  I don't think that would happen if we don't have Meyer wrapped up.  

I think there are some flips and little to no attrition if we get Meyer.

Edited by Laga4
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Come on now....you can make that wife look much hotter than that...right?  A hot wife is great for recruiting.

Not my work, just a google image search result. I think the "wife" is original to the "American Gothic" artwork, someone just photoshopped Rural Meyer in it. 

But your point stands, as we all know WRT Candi. :D

• Hook 'Em 1

Outside of Sanders, this class is a bunch of JAGS with a few raw athletes.  Bowman and Sanders are guys that can see playing time day 1 and we lost one already.  There are another 3-4 guys with raw athletic skills but they need good coaching, something that Herman has yet to prove. 

Also, we are completely fucked along the OL after this year when Cosmi leaves.  Kerstetter has played like shit and if he decides not to come back as well, we are properly fucked.  We're looking at a future OL of Jones, Angilau, Majors, who knows, Hookfin.   The depth behind them looks even worse.