Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

7 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I want to believe the posts on the FIre Herman thread, that Urban is going to be the next coach Dec 1st.  If it is indeed true,  what is the likely hood that Blake takes his sons to meet one last time in Austin with a now, new HC?  Or is that bridge totally over?

And Saban is looking at real estate in the Hill Country......

Everyone always knows, but most of the time most people don't know shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Urban was clearly bearish on the quality of Herman's evals so it's not a guarantee he would have all the pieces he wants and needs to win big year one... Unless some serious transfer portal action happens 

I feel like his comments were more of a “Tom did a pretty dogshit job of developing these guys that are really fucking talented” rather than “He recruited poorly.”
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Xian said:

I understand saving 5 million is a big deal. It’s a shit load of money. 

That said, I feel like having enough time to salvage the recruiting year might be more important long term. 

There’s nothing to saving $5M.  His contract is prorated, its term is from 12/1/2016 to 12/31/2023.  He’s owed 416,667 per month remaining on his contract.  Right now we owe him 16M, 12/1 we owe him 15.4M.   

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, RGBIII said:
12 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

So if Urban is announced on Dec. 1st, does that give him enough time before early signing day on the 18th to salvage the recruiting class and get his staff in place for recruiting duties?  To me it is a pretty short window.  

Probably not, would be a transition type class but it wouldnt shock me if he flipped a couple that we werent expecting. 22 will just be an absolute monster of a class with a new coach bump plus Ewers plus it being Urban fucking Meyer. And to make up for the shortcomings of the 21 class I would expect a HUGE number of transfers to Texas

The transfer and eligibility window is the unknown, mind-bottling part of this. We have no idea what a free pass does for piquing the interest of some real talent with legit league aspirations. Big question mark for me is OL. Can the OL be transformed near term to address the obvious schematic/cohesion deficiencies (right side) and assure this is not an issue in '21. I hope so, or Urban or not, we will suck (again). 😉

45 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I feel like his comments were more of a “Tom did a pretty dogshit job of developing these guys that are really fucking talented” rather than “He recruited poorly.”

Leinart and Quinn did the generic lack of development comment, Urban started off with evals and lack of NFL drafts.  Yes there's talent not being developed, that's almost too obvious to make a segment on but he's also clearly coming from a place of skepticism that Texas is getting the right guys consistently.  "Really fucking talented" applies in some instances, but come on, we have are fielding an FCS linebacker group and critical mass of projects at WR/TE... I've also somewhat made my thoughts known already on parts of the '18 class and '19 class currently with 8 (!) non-participants plus Mitchell... but no need to rehash or pile on.  Point being, this roster can still be loads better and Urban isn't wearing burnt orange tinted glasses about it

8 hours ago, TexMexBuddha said:

The transfer and eligibility window is the unknown, mind-bottling part of this. We have no idea what a free pass does for piquing the interest of some real talent with legit league aspirations. Big question mark for me is OL. Can the OL be transformed near term to address the obvious schematic/cohesion deficiencies (right side) and assure this is not an issue in '21. I hope so, or Urban or not, we will suck (again). 😉

That's a good point.  

If we don't get the suburban that portal works both ways.  

Edited by Laga4

If a better head coach cleans up the mistakes we make aren't we 4-0 right now? Lets say half the penalties and a third of the turnovers...we likely win the big 12 handily. That's what Urban does for us, there isn't some ridiculous rebuild necessary. All we need to do is stop playing dumb ass football, and play sound football. I'm with @Burt Macklin in that I think even Matt Campbell would be putting a much better product on the field which in turn would lead to some recruits like LJ johnson for instance just falling in our burnt orange lap. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

If a better head coach cleans up the mistakes we make aren't we 4-0 right now? Lets say half the penalties and a third of the turnovers...we likely win the big 12 handily. That's what Urban does for us, there isn't some ridiculous rebuild necessary. All we need to do is stop playing dumb ass football, and play sound football. I'm with @Burt Macklin in that I think even Matt Campbell would be putting a much better product on the field which in turn would lead to some recruits like LJ johnson for instance just falling in our burnt orange lap. 

So winning is not hard?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

So . . just sprinkle some pixie dust on it?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Lulz. I dislike Herman more and more every day. I’m out of rep tho or I’d give you a finger. 

I do agree with your point, though. Clean up the stupid shit and we are probably 4-0 and on track to win this crummy league.  After four years of finishing near the bottom of the country in penalties, it's clear he can't even accomplish that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Herman hasn’t tweeted since the Tech game. Go read one of his last tweets about just doing your job.

HFD has posted mysterious Urban pics. Bowman decommits 10/7. The team plays bad against TCU. The weird public pissing match blaming CDC and then Herman for the OU post-game. Urban signaling with the orange tie during yesterday’s studio pre-game. Should be enough public information our there for people to figure out what’s happening. Or it’s all a huge coincidence.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Herman hasn’t tweeted since the Tech game. Go read one of his last tweets about just doing your job.

HFD has posted mysterious Urban pics. Bowman decommits 10/7. The team plays bad against TCU. The weird public pissing match blaming CDC and then Herman for the OU post-game. Urban signaling with the orange tie during yesterday’s studio pre-game. Should be enough public information our there for people to figure out what’s happening. Or it’s all a huge coincidence.

image.gif.063077353c0575a60105bea95148302a.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

So....it’s happening???

2 hours ago, westexhorn said:

Are we still able to meltdown anymore? I think if Herman is retained I may simply wither away from Texas football.

And that there is the true cost of keeping herman. 
juxtaposed with the money that comes in with a big replacement, like urban. 
i wonder if all of our new suites are still fully occupied, or if those pledges have already started to dry up. 

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Calculate Figure It Out GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And that there is the true cost of keeping herman. 
juxtaposed with the money that comes in with a big replacement, like urban. 
i wonder if all of our new suites are still fully occupied, or if those pledges have already started to dry up. 

I was wondering what the "cost" of keeping him would be.  What type of season ticket renewal would we see next year with Herman returning?  The revenue will be critical with what happened in 2020.  If you can get the BMD's to finance the buyout then I think it would be an easy decision.  Also, you would enjoy a new coach bump in ticket sales.

22 hours ago, satyanash said:

see: basketball and Shaka from 2017 onwards.

This is so true. I used to make sure my cable provider had LHN so I could catch every basketball game. Now I’ve cut the cord and got YouTube TV and don’t have LHN anymore and just don’t care to watch Texas basketball anymore. Will probably go the same way with football if Herman is back next year.

This class is going to set this program back a few years.  OL is looking like hot garbage.  We lost Javonne Shepherd, Tyler Johnson is looking like he will be a minimal contributor here.  Ghirmai isn't looking like a P5 level OL.  Reese Moore can't stay healthy or gain weight.  Hookfin may be able to contribute, we've yet to see it.  Jaylen Garth coming off a major injury so who knows how he will hold up.  Karic looks good so far.  Overall, OL looks like terrible in the future with not much in the pipeline coming in with regards to 2021.

The guys that we thought were going to elevate this program, Degabriel Floyd, Bru McCoy, Whittington, Jake Smith, etc haven't done much if any due to injuries, etc.  This whole program is has a huge talent void as is.  Outside of 2-3 guys in 2021, they are all average.  We need to lock down the top talent and develop them.  It's fucking frustrating seeing guys from our back yard go on to have extremely successful careers elsewhere.  JK Dobbins, Waddle, Wilson, Lamb, Okudah, etc.  The last 5 star we developed was Devin Durvernay.  And most will argue that he never utilized him to his abilities until his senior year.  

This program needs a coach that can get the talent here and then fucking develop them.  These G5 coaches we've hired are in way over their heads.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This class is going to set this program back a few years.  OL is looking like hot garbage.  We lost Javonne Shepherd, Tyler Johnson is looking like he will be a minimal contributor here.  Ghirmai isn't looking like a P5 level OL.  Reese Moore can't stay healthy or gain weight.  Hookfin may be able to contribute, we've yet to see it.  Jaylen Garth coming off a major injury so who knows how he will hold up.  Karic looks good so far.  Overall, OL looks like terrible in the future with not much in the pipeline coming in with regards to 2021.

The guys that we thought were going to elevate this program, Degabriel Floyd, Bru McCoy, Whittington, Jake Smith, etc haven't done much if any due to injuries, etc.  This whole program is has a huge talent void as is.  Outside of 2-3 guys in 2021, they are all average.  We need to lock down the top talent and develop them.  It's fucking frustrating seeing guys from our back yard go on to have extremely successful careers elsewhere.  JK Dobbins, Waddle, Wilson, Lamb, Okudah, etc.  The last 5 star we developed was Devin Durvernay.  And most will argue that he never utilized him to his abilities until his senior year.  

This program needs a coach that can get the talent here and then fucking develop them.  These G5 coaches we've hired are in way over their heads.  

You just listed a bunch of misses in previous classes to explain why 2021 is what will set us back, so that doesn’t really make sense. Talent is not the issue by any means. It’s all coaching. 

If we get a good coach, there will be plenty of talent on hand (barring about 30 transfers before he gets here) to win and more talent will come flooding in. All the other stuff you mentioned are symptoms of bad coaching, not the cause of the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You just listed a bunch of misses in previous classes to explain why 2021 is what will set us back, so that doesn’t really make sense. Talent is not the issue by any means. It’s all coaching. 

If we get a good coach, there will be plenty of talent on hand (barring about 30 transfers before he gets here) to win and more talent will come flooding in. All the other stuff you mentioned are symptoms of bad coaching, not the cause of the problem. 

Everything you just typed is accurate, but it doesn't change the fact that after reading victory88's post, I want to go play in traffic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2