Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He can get another job. But he might not be able to get that job making 6 figures. I'm saying he wouldn't unnecessarily poison that well, he's not stupid.

Additionally, he might realize his best move is to stay at Texas with the next guy and keep making a fuck to of money for a recruiting assistant position. 

This is why I was skeptical as to the rumor originally but could, at the same time, seeing him doing this if he's in fact completely fed up with Herman/Texas.  I do agree with you, however, that the bolded is the most likely scenario in the end.

Edited by CowboyFred

so rumor has it (a buddy just told me but he subscribes to IT, I think, so maybe that is where he got it) that Carrington is poisoning the well and telling recruits (and current players I'd assume) that he's leaving as soon as he gets another job.  

Never mind.

Super K on LJ

Spoiler

A big story in the coming weeks is going to be how Texas bounces and back and what impact winning or losing is going to have on the 2021 recruitment.

***I can tell you definitively that LJ Johnson was in the boat. Don’t ask me how I know but I know.

***Now, that is certainly up in the air.

***Both Texas A&M and Oklahoma are pushing hard for him.

***I spoke to a source who said essentially that Texas has probably surrendered the lead here given the performance of the run game at TAMU vs what happened this past weekend for Texas.

***Despite that, source said there still seems to be time to recover. Source noted that this is obviously a low point for Texas but that can change in a hurry. And, I agree. Put together a couple of nice wins and they can potentially swing this one back in their favor.

***It doesn’t seem as though LJ plans on announcing anything right away. The original plan was for him to announce in early September but that continues to get pushed back.

***Again, recruiting is going to become a major story if Herman can’t get things right. He has some good recruiters both on his coaching and support staff but there’s only so much they can do if the wins aren’t there and the public support for Herman continues to wane.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

I don't subscribe to IT so did not know Hamilton said it was false.  My buddy did tell me that mods were "downplaying it" but didn't know they had already said it was completely false.

lol if you don't think Carrington can get a recruiting coordinator job at another school rather quickly.  he might be our most important recruiter and I'm positive other schools have taken notice of that as well.  him not being able to get another job is not a reason I wouldn't buy the rumor.  that is just my opinion tho

The guy that posted it routinely posts shit that is his opinion but he makes it out to be fact. Like others have said, Gerry explicitly called it "a BS rumor."

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Super K on LJ

Hide contents

A big story in the coming weeks is going to be how Texas bounces and back and what impact winning or losing is going to have on the 2021 recruitment.

***I can tell you definitively that LJ Johnson was in the boat. Don’t ask me how I know but I know.

***Now, that is certainly up in the air.

***Both Texas A&M and Oklahoma are pushing hard for him.

***I spoke to a source who said essentially that Texas has probably surrendered the lead here given the performance of the run game at TAMU vs what happened this past weekend for Texas.

***Despite that, source said there still seems to be time to recover. Source noted that this is obviously a low point for Texas but that can change in a hurry. And, I agree. Put together a couple of nice wins and they can potentially swing this one back in their favor.

***It doesn’t seem as though LJ plans on announcing anything right away. The original plan was for him to announce in early September but that continues to get pushed back.

***Again, recruiting is going to become a major story if Herman can’t get things right. He has some good recruiters both on his coaching and support staff but there’s only so much they can do if the wins aren’t there and the public support for Herman continues to wane.

Lulz. No high-level RB recruit is going to come play for a lame duck head coach. That doesn't even take into consideration our running game has been QB scrambles for the past four years. LJ ain't coming here unless Herman gets fired and we announce Urban Meyer as our head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Lulz. No high-level RB recruit is going to come play for a lame duck head coach. That doesn't even take into consideration our running game has been QB scrambles for the past four years. LJ ain't coming here unless Herman gets fired and we announce Urban Meyer as our head coach. 

Agree with the other stuff, but this is just feeding in to pure aggy made up nonsense. The stats dont support this in the slightest, this year aside.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

Agree with the other stuff, but this is just feeding in to pure aggy made up nonsense. This year aside.

You think we use our RBs well? I don't. We had one RB with a 100 yard rushing game in 2018. Last year we were a lot better, but when faced with adversity we completely abandon the run and turn it into Sam vs. the defense.  

Let's look at how we utilized our backs last year. I know this is going to be incredibly obvious, but in wins, we ran the ball well. We had 100 yard games from RBs in each of the wins except against LA tech and Rice where we spread the ball out among a lot of players because they were blowouts. 

Ingram v OK State (W)

Roschon v WV (W)

Ingram v KU (W)

Ingram v K State (W)

Roschon v Tech (W)

Ingram v Utah (W)

In losses, we suck big hairy balls. Obvious, I know. But in every loss Sam had more carries than the RBs. Isn't that somewhat of a reflection of our inability to run the football when it matters? 

LSU - Sam ran the ball 18 times and RBs ran the ball 17 times. Hard to criticize anything in this game considering we gave the national champs a better game than anyone else that year. 

OU - Sam  ran the ball 23 times for -9 yards (I understand that does take into account the 18 sacks we gave up that game). RBs ran that ball 10 times.

Iowa State - Sam ran the ball 12 times. RBs ran the ball 4 times for 27 yards for a whopping 1.9 ypc in a loss.

Baylor - Sam ran the ball 19 times. RBs only got 12 carries even though we averaged 9.3 ypc.

So in the other three losses (excluding LSU, when Sam STILL had more carries than our collective RBs), RBs ran the ball 26 fucking times! Twenty six! In three games! All of which we lost!

So in summation, we suck when we can't run the ball (or choose not to run the ball). And we lose more games than we should because we can't run the ball. 

Also, it sucks to admit this, but aggy is right about our OL. It sucks donkey dick.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

lol if you don't think Carrington can get a recruiting coordinator job at another school rather quickly.  he might be our most important recruiter and I'm positive other schools have taken notice of that as well.  him not being able to get another job is not a reason I wouldn't buy the rumor.  that is just my opinion tho

I would think sabotaging his current employer would be a pretty fucking big red flag for any future employer. This story is so fucking stupid.

* just chose your post to reply to because it’s where I mentally reached the point of responding to the general absurdity. Not attacking you or your post.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Saying all four years is just repeating aggy propaganda. Our offense has not been just QB scrambles. Last year, our OL was 11th in the country in line yards blocked by the OL in the run game, and our top 2 RBs ran for 1500 yards and averaged 5.6 YPC.

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

You think we use our RBs well? I don't. We had one RB with a 100 yard rushing game in 2018. Last year we were a lot better, but when faced with adversity we completely abandon the run and turn it into Sam vs. the defense.  

Let's look at how we utilized our backs last year. I know this is going to be incredibly obvious, but in wins, we ran the ball well. We had 100 yard games from RBs in each of the wins except against LA tech and Rice where we spread the ball out among a lot of players because they were blowouts. 

Ingram v OK State (W)

Roschon v WV (W)

Ingram v KU (W)

Ingram v K State (W)

Roschon v Tech (W)

Ingram v Utah (W)

In losses, we suck big hairy balls. Obvious, I know. But in every loss Sam had more carries than the RBs. Isn't that somewhat of a reflection of our inability to run the football when it matters? 

LSU - Sam ran the ball 18 times and RBs ran the ball 17 times. Hard to criticize anything in this game considering we gave the national champs a better game than anyone else that year. 

OU - Sam  ran the ball 23 times for -9 yards (I understand that does take into account the 18 sacks we gave up that game). RBs ran that ball 10 times.

Iowa State - Sam ran the ball 12 times. RBs ran the ball 4 times for 27 yards for a whopping 1.9 ypc in a loss.

Baylor - Sam ran the ball 19 times. RBs only got 12 carries even though we averaged 9.3 ypc.

So in the other three losses (excluding LSU, when Sam STILL had more carries than our collective RBs), RBs ran the ball 26 fucking times! Twenty six! In three games! All of which we lost!

So in summation, we suck when we can't run the ball (or choose not to run the ball). And we lose more games than we should because we can't run the ball. 

Also, it sucks to admit this, but aggy is right about our OL. It sucks donkey dick.

Lulz. You just completely moved the goalposts here. Yes, sometimes our offense bogs down and we would revert to called QB runs and Sam scrambles a lot when we struggle, but that’s way different than saying our offense is only QB scrambles all the time like you did in your first post. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. You just completely moved the goalposts here. Yes, sometimes our offense bogs down and we would revert to called QB runs and Sam scrambles a lot when we struggle, but that’s way different than saying our offense is only QB scrambles all the time like you did in your first post. 

You're right. I was generalizing and just being a sarcastic fucker in my first post about Sam scrambling and the laughable wishcasting from T Floss that we might still be in the LJ Johnson race. I'm not sure why you think that's neg worthy.  But whatevs...

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

You're right. I was generalizing and just being a sarcastic fucker in my first post about Sam scrambling and the laughable wishcasting from T Floss that we might still be in the LJ Johnson race. I'm not sure why you think that's neg worthy.  But whatevs...

shut up, bitch. 

• Like 1

Can you imagine when these kids get out of school, don’t make it to the NFL and now need to get a real job?  How funny would it be for their potential employer to go on Twitter and announce their top 3 for a job....then push the 2 hats of the schools those not selected attended off the table only to pick some other person and then the employer says “respect my decision”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Can you imagine when these kids get out of school, don’t make it to the NFL and now need to get a real job?  How funny would it be for their potential employer to go on Twitter and announce their top 3 for a job....then push the 2 hats of the schools those not selected attended off the table only to pick some other person and then the employer says “respect my decision”. 

Billy Sims went back to Oklahoma.  Earl became a Texas legend.

Mike at Night: Live recruiting chat

Any news on how recruits are responding to the turmoil brewing in ATX?

It's been pretty steady. Kids are more in a wait and see mode. I don't get the feeling anyone is looking to make a quick jump.

Mike, what are some of the strongest recruit to TEXAS coach relationships in the 2021 to 2022 clas

That's a good question. I think the secondary guys with Ash and Valai. Blackwell with Hutzler comes to mind. Myslinski seems somewhat tied to Hand.

When you wrote about Ewers, you said baring “anything crazy happening” you are confident there shouldn’t be much to worry about his commitment. Would Tom Herman getting fired be crazy enough?

Yes it could. But I think it would depend on what the plan of succession would be. I think Ewers wants to be at Texas and a good replacement would cement that.

Still Rumor Mike that Texas still plans to do a Zoom call with Billy Bowman and if so when. Also expect any new offers to go out in the bye week?

I haven't been able to speak with Bowman lately. I know Texas remains in contact with Bowman and he's keeping the lines of communication open.

How many commits do we lose before the end of this season?

That all depends on the way the rest of the season plays out.

If a coachimg change occurs which coaches do u feel are most crucial that stay on staff

I would try to keep Jay Valai and Coleman Hutzler. Those are the guys who I think are potential young stars.

Given all the current turmoil, are there any '21 you still feel confident they'll sign with UT? Same for '22.

It's hard to have any confidence for the guys still out there. I don't think guys like Shemar Turner, LJ Johnson and others on the board have soured, but I think right now, things are in neutral with them if that makes sense.

I posted this on another topic, but do you prefer cold beer from a cooler of ice or from being in the refrigerator?

Never really thought about it but i'll say that the time of year matters. In the summer, cooler every time.

Mike, do you think urban is a realistic shot for getting the job if herman is fired?

I have no clue. I don't swim in the circles with agents and coaches to know, but I think at this point he has to be the target.

Recruiting is dead until the new coaches are hired. No elite kids want to play for a fraud...

I understand you guys are frustrated and totally get it, but we've still got to do our job and I will continue to do that.

Do you see any offers going out this week during thr bye?

I think a few underclassmen offers will come.

I hear that OU has been talking to Johnaton Brooks any worry on that sure seems like there gonna get Camar

I haven't heard anything on that front.

I saw Ja’tavion Sanders got a bump up to number 13 in ESPN’s rankings. Do you think he’ll move up or stay where he’s at in 247?

He's an interesting case but I'd bet he stays around where he is as of now.

Mike, let's just say hypothetically TEXAS rocked the college world and hired Urban. How would that affect recruiting in the state?

My expectations would be the first year bump coaches usually get and a potentially all-star staff put together by him. All he would need to do is get things rolling and the recruits would pour in.

Who were some of the kids who were mean to you to n the job now that it’s not on the pod?

I'm not going to talk about that. I wouldn't say mean, like my feelings were hurt but it's more kids who became difficult to deal with.

Any reason why the staff has slowed down on the tcu decommit lineman.? The name fails me right now but given how o-line recruiting has stunk...

Jacoby Jackson is who I think you're talking about. I think they found a guy with Max Merril who fits that spot.

Mike, if Texas were to hire Urban, who are some top tier recruits do you see giving Texas a serious look?

Maybe you could get a Savion Byrd but the bigger changes would be to 2022.

Whats your feeling still on Donovan Green? Also why hasnt Texas offerd 4 star TE Trent McGaughey?

Green likes Texas, but his recruitment will have a national flavor. I don't believe they feel McGaughey is a fit.

Would Urban dominate recruiting in Texas?

If he won.

Mike if Texas does get another HC what is the absolute latest it needs to happen to try and salvage this recruiting class?

The last game of the season is December 5 (if they dont' make the CCG). By Thanksgiving you need to have some idea what you're doing with the job and ready to make a move if you're going to after that date.

Mike, with you being a Longhorn fan, do you have a problem with Texas hiring Urban with all the baggage?

It's hard to call myself much of a fan anymore. Doing this job will change you. At some point you've got to make a decision about what you care about. If winning games is the top priority, it's tough to overlook Meyer.

Did Herman blow it with the Brockermeyers when he didn’t offer James initially?

I'm not sure that blew it but it didn't help.

Texas and RB Raleek Brown out of it now? Also 5 star CB Jahiem Singletary from Florida released his top 8 last week without Texas in it smh

I'm not sure anything has really chaned with Raleek. He still wants to visit from what I know. The 2022 DB class is stacked and I think Texas is just in a different place and putting their chips in races they think they can win.

If Texas missed on LJ. How many RBs you think they would take in 2022?

Probably just one.

Do you believe that Texas finished 2nd for Garrett Wilson, Demarvin Leal, and Kenyon Green and were they ever in the mix for Theo Wease?

2nd for Wilson and Leal, but I think they were probably farther back for Green. They were never really in it serious for Theo.

Say Texas loses the next 1 to 2 games, in your opinion will it be more detrimental to the program to let Herman ride the year out versus releasing him right after the loses ?

I think it could certainly get there.

O/U 3 five stars in 2022 if we get Meyer as the HC and keep most of the staff

It's tough to start calling five stars with this program in the state it's in. Quinn already being in is 1.

There goes Billy, Mike are you surprised he did a top 3 so quick?

Somewhat but I figured the Texas stuff I was hearing was a bit of lip service. There's a weird thing that happens with reporter and kid when a decommitment happens. It's almost like a weird breakup of sorts.

Are the Brocks and Milroe on good terms with Texas? (In other words, when we play them in the future, would they not flash horns down?)

I don't thinkt hey'd go horns down. There didn't seem to be any bad blood between both sides.

What’s your take on Caleb burton and his dad/coach wanting to go to Texas under the current or probable new coach?

I tI think they'd probably like to see a lot more.

What effect would a possible Urban Meyer hire have on Donovan Jackson?

I don't think it would change things with Jackson. Dewberry and Harris it could have a big effect on.

So we are done at o-line recruiting then or are we looking for a specific position on the line?

I think they don't want to take too many developmental guys.

Speaking of Milroe, was his decommitment inevitable or was it directly tied to Ewer's commitment?

I think he tried to hang in there but Ewers was kind of the last straw.

Mike are there any guys in this ‘21 class that would be solid to Texas even if Herman were fired?

Hayden Conner and Derrick Harris. Ja'Tavion Sanders is almost in that class for me.

Also, has Tunmise liked what he's seen from Ossai? I fully expect to see him play in the SEC but i'm all for making things interesting.

I don't think Tunmise ends up at Texas.

Any year... 1. Favorite recruit to cover that signed with Texas. 2. Favored te recruit to cover that didn't sign with Texas.

There are a few i can't just boil it down. 1) Tope Imade, Josh Thompson, Caden Sterns, Jake Majors 2) DaShaun White, Austin Stogner, Jaylen Waddle

Mike how is the rest of 21 WR Class looking how many more feel we could take? I like Keon Coleman alot and Antonio Harmon plus cant look past JJ Henry

One or two if they can get them. Maybe land Henry and Harmon. Everything is up in the air as of now.

Is Mitch Coulson, LH athlete starting to get any attention?

That's not a name i've heard much.

Mike Roach, Do you know what caused Quay Davis’ recruitment to go astray? Was it just Samples? It’s okay, if you don’t want to say until later on.

I do, but it's really not something i can go into detail about until after signing day.

This is a divisive question for some but Houston or DFW?

DFW. I'm a south Irving born and raised kid.

Mike, who is the best recruiting HC you've heard of?

Cristobal is damn good. He's a guy I would call if I had an opening. He'd be at the top of my list. The best recruiting HC i've heard of include him, Lincoln Riley and Mack Brown.

What’s the longest running relationship you have built with a recruit? Any current NFL players you talk to on a routine basis?

Quinn will be by the time he signs. Outside of him it's JD Coffey. Most of the guys i'm close with are still in college but I keep up with DeShon Elliott every once in a while. He's the first guy I ever went to a game to see.

Does Texas end up with a top 25 class?

I think so.

Do you know why Sam Ehlinger only had five offers will being a .9446 on the composite?

He committed to Texas early and everyone knew he was sticking. He could have received more offers and probably just wouldn't post them.

If you are the AD at Texas and assuming Herman is let go, who is your pick for the next head coach?

My shortlist would include Urban Meyer and Mario Cristobal

Was Texas always the constant in Bijan's recruitment?

Ohio State took a lead and got a silent but Texas had the juice for the longest time.

Have you ever had any recruiting conversations with any major donors?

A few, but most of those guys don't get into the day to day details. Mainly just big picture stuff.

If CDC hangs on to Herman for budget purposes (like he did with Shaka), how do you see the '21 class finishing? For arguments sake, let's say we finish this season at 6-5 with a bowl game.

I think if he finishes like that it's worst case scenario.

I agree but unfortunately that doesn't make it unlikely. I've seen nothing to show me that this team can beat OSU, KSU, or Iowa State...

If he finishes that way and is kept, all bets are off for recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What a fucking beating. For the first time I can remember, every topic on this board is bolded because I don't have the fucking energy or desire to wade in and engage, to find out what is going on. Definitely not the aTm threads. Definitely not the OU threads. Fuck Tom Herman and Texas threads. 

I think I might be taking the rest of the fall off. 

What kind of bullshit nonsense is this? Pull yourself together. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Viper said:

what did @Longhornfrenzy do to get banned?

I’ve gotten in political back and forth on Twitter and been called every name in the book and even had death threats from crazies. But a few weeks ago I called some OU fan a dick and my Twitter account was suspended permanently. I think there’s a gooner on Twitter review board