2021-22 MLB Offseason Thread

Beau Vine

Players luxury tax jump is absurd. 
owners 50% penalty is absurd. 
looks like anti tanking measures are agreed to which is a positive imo. 
minimum salaries are too low. 
pool of money for pre arb guys is too low. 
this is where it should end:

$750k minimum salary. 
keep arb the same 

Give the players a 100 million dollar pre arb pool and tell them to split it however the fuck they want. 
CBT starting at 225 and ending at 240 by the end of the negotiation with the same penalties as last time. 
That’s more than fair to all stake holders. That also makes the game a little better for the fans. 

get to where you are supposed to get to and sign a deal and play fucking ball. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^
i don’t trust anything coming out of mouths of MLBN reporters. Shills for ownership. 

generally i don't either, but most of the big ones know what a nightmare mlb-twitter will be for them if they offer something like this up with no legitimacy. 

cautiously hopeful.   

So, 

Passan says that when the players union agrees to put patches on the uniforms that the owners own, in stadiums the owners own, that is the players giving back $125,000,000 to the owners.  And in moving playoffs from 10 teams to 12 that is the players giving the owners another $125,000,000.00

I think I see why this deal can't get done.  The owners are duplicitous shit bags and the players are totally and completely barking fucking mad in how they characterize minor minor moves from them in the first place. I hope this deal gets done b/c I love baseball and am a season ticket holder. I will be back whenever they come back b/c what the hell else am I going to do on a hot august night- pay attention to my wife and kids?  

But yeah- that ESPN article framing was something else.  This shouldn't be that hard.  They've already got the framework of concepts laid out (and the concepts actually make sense and are pretty good!)

CBT, revenue sharing, incentives for shitty teams to try and to bring guys up quicker in form of draft picks and revenue sharing, soft cap with a tax to stop the game from becoming completely about haves and have not teams, arbitration, new player bonus pool, new draft lottery for teams tanking.  I'd like to see a salary floor to give more money to the players in a way that lifts the competitive balance of all teams in the league, but that's not a concept either side seems all that interested in, so, who cares I guess.  Literally all they are fighting about is percentage points on the deal that boil down to cold hard cash.  That isn't re-inventing the wheel guys, come on, chop chop. 

2 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

After many years as a subscriber, I finally cancelled due to archaic blackout rules and the work stoppage.  

When they really made it difficult and started blocking smart dns tools, that's when I said fuck 'em.  They had already annoyed me by putting in commercials and the same highlight video over and over instead of just leaving the logo up between innings.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/19/2022 at 9:11 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

While we;re on the subject? Favorite books?

I have to say 

Lords of the Realm

K: History of Baseball in 10 Pitches

Bums: An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers by Peter Golenbock is my favorite and I highly recommend it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, htown85 said:

12-14 team playoffs is awful.  Don’t NBA baseball.

i read some proposal about a best of 3 format where one team has a "ghost win" to make up for an advantage they weren't getting apparently or some shit.  like one team would only have to win once and the other team would have to win twice to win the series?  was this real or some fucking nightmare i had?

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

The positive is they keep talking tonight

the owners are billionaire shitbags but the longer this rolls on, the more the players share in the blame, and the more the only losers here are the fans.  what drives me crazy are the tweets like "today's negotiations only lasted 45 minutes, nothing productive, they'll meet again in 5 days to see where they stand".  the fuck?  february 1st they should've locked 3 guys from each side in a room and said you can come out without a deal if you want, but if you do the season is cancelled.  knock twice for pizza.

13 hours ago, htown85 said:

12-14 team playoffs is awful.  Don’t NBA baseball.

I’m ok with 12 in this format. A 1st round bye is good regular season incentive. 

This is why owners agreed to 12 vs 14. $15M difference doesn’t really move the needle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

I’m still pissed at the brinksmanship, but damn, it’s going to be an exciting few days once they reach an agreement.   The rush to get free agents signed and everyone into camp will be bonkers.  

It will be like when July 1 hits on the NBA calendar. Which is always a fun 72 hours.  But with a great league that I care about (MLB) rather than a good league I have only passing interest in.  Christmas come early.

36 minutes ago, WBT said:

They're going to ruin the playoffs over ~3MM per team?

The 12 team playoff proposal is only adding 1 team per league. It eliminates the 1 game wild card crapshoot. It is also a net positive in safeguarding the importance of the regular season by giving byes to the top 4 teams. I like it. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The 12 team playoff proposal is only adding 1 team per league. It eliminates the 1 game wild card crapshoot. It is also a net positive in safeguarding the importance of the regular season by giving byes to the top 4 teams. I like it. 

I started to post “A best 2 of 3 series in the playoffs is awful”… but then started to think about everything you just mentioned and I’m surprisingly ok with this.

….especially when the AL East has the 3 best records in the AL this year and the third place team is the Yankees by virtue of losing a tiebreaker and they get bounced by a shitty AL Central team in the first round.