2021-22 MLB Offseason Thread

Beau Vine

Has he ever really had a high note? He never played a playoff game. His numbers are the definition of a jag. Last year’s slash .212/.285/.438. Lifetime .251/.321/.442. 
He hit 35 HRs last year to go with 101 RBI after a couple down seasons. He would've gotten signed somewhere.

His lifetime numbers: .251 BA, 242 HRs, 807 RBI, 36.9 WAR. Not an all star but not the #s for a JAG either.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

He hit 35 HRs last year to go with 101 RBI after a couple down seasons. He would've gotten signed somewhere.

His lifetime numbers: .251 BA, 242 HRs, 807 RBI, 36.9 WAR. Not an all star but not the #s for a JAG either.

Agree. Seager had a pretty short career and only had a few good years, but he did have some really good ones. From 2013-2017 he averaged about 5 wins/year (per B-R). That’s pretty damn good over a 5-year stretch. Not anything close to a HOFer or anything like that (not that anyone would seriously make that case), but a good career with some legit All-Star years. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

I believe he said some not awesome things about Manfred recently. Surely unrelated. 

It’s being reported that he was let go due to past criticisms of Manfred for how he handled the 2020 pandemic season. Manfred is a clown. I hope he botches the contract negotiations. Fucking with their money is the only way the owners will get rid of him. 

• Like 1

A test of the Dodgers' soul.  If the DA doesn't prosecute, which I am going to bet they don't, the Dodgers will likely be on the hook for his $40+ mil salary.  Do you swallow your pride and let him pitch, when starting pitching is a serious area of need, or cut him and move on?

Cone is great on the YES broadcasts. He’s not as good as Singleton but better than O’Neill imo. Kay is last out of those 4. Cone & Kay get shit from Yankee fans for not being big enough homers calling the games but I think it’s because they always wanted national roles like this. 

Now Sterling (THHEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN) & Waldman are unbearable. 

Edited by Helobious

I think Kay is a lot more bearable since Jeter retired.  I'd put him solid middle-of-the-pack among PBP guys in MLB.  Working with really good color commentators probably does help him a lot.  I'd probably think he's terrible if he were sitting next to Rex Hudler or Jim Edmonds or Tom Grieve or Geoff Blum.

Edited by Beau Vine

On 1/7/2022 at 3:02 PM, Beau Vine said:

I think Kay is a lot more bearable since Jeter retired.  I'd put him solid middle-of-the-pack among PBP guys in MLB.  Working with really good color commentators probably does help him a lot.  I'd probably think he's terrible if he were sitting next to Rex Hudler or Jim Edmonds or Tom Grieve or Geoff Blum.

Geoff Blum is a regional treasure you shut your mouth 

• Like 2

MLB and the Union supposed to meet on Thursday for first time in well over a month, with the league presenting a new economic proposal. 

I expect it to last about 10 minutes or less and the Union will immediately respond that the offer is a non-starter. No real progress will occur until spring training games start being cancelled and Opening Day starts looking doubtful, IMO.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

MLB and the Union supposed to meet on Thursday for first time in well over a month, with the league presenting a new economic proposal. 

I expect it to last about 10 minutes or less and the Union will immediately respond that the offer is a non-starter. No real progress will occur until spring training games start being cancelled and Opening Day starts looking doubtful, IMO.

This is the way of things.  Still hoping it gets worked out without games missed.  Seems like a bad look to miss games with what all has happened to entertainment and leisure since COVID.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is the way of things.  Still hoping it gets worked out without games missed.  Seems like a bad look to miss games with what all has happened to entertainment and leisure since COVID.

Was just telling a buddy earlier how I hope like hell this is the last fucked up offseason for a long while. I want to spend my winters reading about free agent rumors and trade speculation, not COVID and labor strife. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 3:54 PM, Storm the Field said:

Was just telling a buddy earlier how I hope like hell this is the last fucked up offseason for a long while. I want to spend my winters reading about free agent rumors and trade speculation, not COVID and labor strife. 

Yeah before COVID me and my wife had gone to a baseball stadium(s) every summer (we've been to 12/30 ballparks).  Have missed out the last two seasons and itching to get back, but looks like we'll be in wait-and-see mode for this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/11/2022 at 3:24 PM, Storm the Field said:

Ahem.

A federal court again turned away MLB umpire Angel Hernandez’s discrimination lawsuit against the league for failing to promote him to crew chief. The judge last March granted MLB’s pitch to toss the four-year-old case, but the umpire in April filed an objection arguing the jurist had misapplied the law.

Judge J. Paul Oetken ruled that the pool of umpires is so small that it is not possible to statistically infer discrimination. Hernandez later countered that was a license to discriminate and asked Oetken to reconsider.  

In a short five-page decision – nearly nine months after the motion to reconsider – the judge rebuffed the ump, writing: “Hernandez contends that the Court did not consider the legal impact of whether the small sample size of umpires and crew chiefs was a result of MLB’s own discriminatory conduct. He also argues that the Court’s decision will incentivize employers to keep the relevant employee pools and number of minority employees small enough to avoid liability for disparate impact discrimination, which is contrary to Second Circuit law and policy. Neither of these arguments, however, suggests a ‘change of controlling law, the availability of new evidence, or the need to correct a clear error or prevent manifest injustice,’  as is required. Rather, these are policy arguments that are inappropriate to consider.”

Hernandez’s lawyer, Kevin Murphy, blasted the decision, as he did in March, and promised an appeal, meaning the case is not finished.

“The District Court has determined, in effect, that Angel Hernandez cannot proceed with his lawsuit against MLB unless baseball’s discrimination against him was statistically significant,” he wrote in an email. “We do not believe that that is a proper application of existing law.  It is especially disturbing — when as in these circumstances — MLB had promoted zero minorities to crew chief positions (at least until Angel Hernandez sued).

“The District Court’s decision is detrimental not just to baseball, but to minorities everywhere who seek promotions from within small pools of candidates. Discrimination is discrimination — period.   Mr. Hernandez will appeal to the Second Circuit to vindicate his rights, trusting that the adverse public policy implications of the District Court’s decisions will be overturned.”

The controversial umpire, known for his at times abrasive demeanor and high-profile blown calls, brought the case in 2017 after MLB repeatedly declined to promote him to crew chief and blocked his bid for World Series work.

From 2011 to 2013 there were 68 full-time umpires and 17 crew chiefs, and between 2014 and 2020 there were 76 full-time umpires and 19 crew chiefs. It’s unclear how many umpires are members of a minority group today, but an internal MLB document in 2013 put it at 7 percent. 

In ruling last March, Oetken dismissed Hernandez’s argument that he had been passed over by less-senior umpires, noting similarly situated white umpires had been turned down.

“Hernandez’s handful of cherry-picked examples does not reliably establish any systematic effort on MLB’s part to artificially deflate Hernandez’s evaluations, much less an effort to do so in order to cover up discrimination,” he wrote in the 26-page decision. 

The case drew occasional scrutiny, like when MLB filed allegations that Hernandez eavesdropped on a disciplinary call. According to MLB, after the July 24, 2019 Rays-Red Sox game in which there was a 14-minute delay over confusion about the rules, the league under then-chief baseball officer Joe Torre launched an investigation and interviewed the umpires involved in the contest. Torre later claimed Hernandez did not get off the phone when his interview ended and listened to the interview of umpire Ed Hickox. MLB conducted a separate call with Hernandez to question him on the alleged eavesdropping.

The case grew heated over time, with Hernandez accusing Torre and his deputy, Randy Marsh, of racism. MLB in turn painted the Cuban-born Hernandez as a troubled umpire who could not get past slights and mistakes.

MLB declined to comment on Judge Oetken’s latest ruling. 

The crux of Hernandez’s case is that MLB systematically discriminated against non-Whites in denying them promotions to crew chiefs and World Series assignments, ignoring their performance while elevating White umpires who graded lower on in-season reviews. MLB argued that the numbers Hernandez cited were insignificant and refuted the process is discriminatory. MLB contended the reason it did not promote Hernandez was his failure to exhibit leadership.

Judge Oetken in deciding a second time to eject Hernandez’s suit, noted MLB’s umpire evaluation metrics are not clear cut, making it difficult to reach a conclusion of discrimination.

“The Court noted in its decision that the record was not entirely clear on how MLB develops evaluations and the criteria MLB uses in making crew chief promotions,” Oetken wrote. “But the Court properly applied the correct legal standard applicable to summary judgment motions. And, as the Court explained in its decision, any ambiguity about the evaluation and promotion process was ultimately due to the subjectivity of some of the criteria.”

3 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I'm fully convinced he's shitty (shittier) on purpose in an attempt to get fired to bolster his case.

RoboUmps are going to really highlight how bad he is at the rest of his job. 

If they take away the subjective ball/strike call that he used to antagonize players, he’s just down plays that are all reviewable… So all of his mistakes/miscalls on purpose, will be on display for all to see.

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

huge payrolls can buy you regular season wins but not world series appearances.

That’s a bingo

Also, I like that the Astros were in the other league for the first 3 years of this time period and still have won more World Series games than anyone else in the AL since 2010.

On 1/25/2022 at 12:29 PM, Snake Diggity said:

Shortened 2020 season cost Houston big time in this graphic.

Well, if they were going to keep playing below .500 ball it helped.  But I think you're right that over 162 they would have been safely over .500.

Edited by WBT
thought this was the astros thread