Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

Holy fuck this thread has gone off track. Y'all are all hopeless and prefer the argument to work on actually fixing an issue. This is what a two-party system has created and its probably the most brilliant invention ever.  Like a bunch of fucking raccoons spotting a shiny object. The Lowest Common Denominator.

3 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Holy fuck this thread has gone off track. Y'all are all hopeless and prefer the argument to work on actually fixing an issue. This is what a two-party system has created and its probably the most brilliant invention ever.  Like a bunch of fucking raccoons spotting a shiny object. The Lowest Common Denominator.

You got any suggestions on fixing the issue?

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You got any suggestions on fixing the issue?

Yep and posted it above and then re-posted it again and also posted in the BB thread.. But you dumbfucks are too interested in a slapfight. So by all means continue.

The problem is both sides just look for something to be offended by and respond to. About 90% of its bullshit talking past each other and trolling with the remaining 10% being lies, damn lies, and statistics. Holy shit this country absolutely deserves Donald Trump and everything else we get.

Edited by HoustonHorn

One thing that would definitely help the problem is software solutions to help parents, teachers, administrators, and social media content mediators identify potential threats.   Algorithms could be developed that help red flag research, online behavior, etc - since a lot of these people are openly reading, discussing, threatening others etc on the Internet all the fucking time before shit like this happens.  I'm not saying it would stop them all but for god sakes - people need to start paying fucking attention to what kids are doing and saying on the Internet.  Yah it sucks and it's an invasion of your privacy but too fucking bad.  

I also think badge access/keyfob entry controlling doors, monitored camera systems, modifying school layouts and entry points, school district police departments and/or campus marshalls etc would also really help the problem.   I grew up in a city where most public highschools had their own dedicated police officers - add some more until you feel like your school is adequately covered.   Also - the media hysteria surrounding mass casualty events absolutely plays a role in motivating sociopathic/psychopathic behavior in people who are suicidal and want to be remembered for killing innocent people.

What really amazing is all the technological and security options we have in place all over the country at large events, conferences, work campuses that everyone completely ignores in favor of just banning all guns.  

Edited by krevo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Yep and posted it above and then re-posted it again and also posted in the BB thread.. But you dumbfucks are too interested in a slapfight. So by all means continue.

The problem is both sides just look for something to be offended by and respond to. About 90% of its bullshit talking past each other and trolling with the remaining 10% being lies, damn lies, and statistics. Holy shit this country absolutely deserves Donald Trump and everything else we get.

BotH sIdeS aRe tHe SaMe is a meme for a reason. The issue IMO is that one side (or a few consistent commenters) bog the discussions down. 

An analogy showing how society deals with complex, multi-faceted problems is presented. That analogy is met with tedious nitpicking.

Information from a pro-gun website is countered, suddenly someone is raped by ad hominem.

Getting someone to clearly state their position on correlation between firearms and violence turns into a baby screaming strawman.

The topic of funding for school infrastructure turns into r/cringeanarchy.

There have been some interesting discussions and ideas presented that I gleaned some insight in. But maybe as you would agree, those seem to be few and far between. 

statistics are important btw if they are presented honestly.

I don’t actually think this is a place to solve the problem. But rather to discuss, share information in hopes of understanding better the problems and various strategies. For example, I had a discussion over the last couple days in this thread that mostly had me defending a particular study. I had to go back and focus on that paper and consider various things I hadn’t considered before. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2018/05/31/the-surprising-way-gun-violence-is-dividing-america/

On average, there are 276 gun homicides a week in America. There are 439 gun suicides. All told, there are, on average, nearly 1,200 incidents involving gun violence, every week, in America.

This landscape of gun violence — suicides, homicides, mass shootings, accidents — is not evenly distributed. Instead, it plays out over geographic and political dividing lines — and these may help explain why individual Americans see the issue so differently.

To better understand how the geography of gun violence may affect how Americans think about the issue, The Washington Post analyzed data on gun deaths from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for every county from 2007 and 2016 and the nonpartisan Gun Violence Archive from 2016 to present. (Our full methodology is explained at the bottom of this post.)

A distinct pattern emerged: In Democratic regions of the country, which tend to be cities, people are more likely to be murdered with a gun than they are to shoot themselves to death. In regions of the country won by Republican, which tend to be rural areas and small towns, the opposite is true — people are more likely to shoot themselves to death than they are to be murdered with a gun.

Actually, we don't get them in "pretty efficiently."  There are dozens of entry points.  People enter over the course of sometimes hours, as opposed to a single 15-20 minute period before school.
1500 people at a single entry point.  Screen them and their bag for weapons and get them through before class starts.  In order to make that work, you'd need surely, what, 8-10 individual "lines" and scanners?  Those each need to be manned, so let's say 16 people who are trained to (1) get people through an X-ray machine, and if they fail, pat them down, and (2) review an xray of bags to catch weapons.  Not to mention the expensive machinery to do that, times 8-10. 
I'm not saying it's not POSSIBLE -- anything is possible.  Give me $500 billion, and I can set up that system probably nationwide.  You got $500 billion laying around?  I mean, uh, I'd pay for it, but, man, I totally left my wallet at home today.

How much is too much to spend if it works?

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

How much is too much to spend if it works?

No idea.  Let's run some numbers.  Then, you translate those costs into taxes for regular operating expenses, and a bond issue to go on the ballot for the big-ticket capital expenditures on buildings and hardware.  Put the matter before the voters.

You and I both know that folks love ideas like this when it's magical money from the sky paying for it.  When it translates to a steep local tax increase, they'll say something.  And that somethign will be "no."

And it's not like we don't balance cost vs. safety with respect to, well, everything.  We could make your 20k Toyota sedan 10% safer, but it would now cost $40k.  But hey, it's safer, so NO PRICE IS TOO HIGH, right?  Of course not.  Shit, we have huge policy fights about regulations to provide for clean air and clean water, when we KNOW that pollutants kill or hasten the death of thousands of people in the US every year.  But the cost!  The crippling regulations!  So, we don't do it.  We find our balance points with respect to EVERYTHING.  We'll do it with schools, too. It's somewhere HIGHER than the amount we're spending today.  It's somewhere MUCH LOWER than turning all school entries into full TSA checkpoints.

On 5/30/2018 at 3:18 PM, wildcat09 said:

Ah yes, arming teachers. That'll help.

Narrator in five years: it didn't.

Ever seen the Unforgiven? A whole bunch of little Bill’s deputies were armed. Ultimately didn’t mean shit. Arming teachers is such a cop out stupid joke.

• Like 1

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/623145

CONCLUSIONS: Among women, mental illness and living alone increase the risk of suicide in the home, and household use of illicit drugs and prior domestic violence increase the risk of homicide. Instead of conferring protection, keeping a gun in the home is associated with increased risk of both suicide and homicide of women. Household use of illicit drugs, domestic violence, and readily available firearms place women at particularly high risk of homicide at the hands of a spouse, an intimate acquaintance, or a close relative. Many factors place women at increased risk of violent death in the home. Community- and clinic-based interventions should target those with identifiable risk factors.

Edited by GW Hayduke

Shooting the children is the subject of this thread right? 
Unlike the GOP & the NRA, I'm against that.
Go fuck yourself. People like you are as big a problem as the NRA and GOP. I'm not a fan of either but your ongoing bullshit only serves to distract instead of solve.

Based on the limited posts I've seen you are too dumb to discuss this intelligently so you just fling shit. You've continuously ignored any attempt at a reasonable discussion to resolve issues and are complicit in maintaining the status quo and doing everything you can to divide this issue on party lines. You are a child murderer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Go fuck yourself. People like you are as big a problem as the NRA and GOP. I'm not a fan of either but your ongoing bullshit only serves to distract instead of solve.

Based on the limited posts I've seen you are too dumb to discuss this intelligently so you just fling shit. You've continuously ignored any attempt at a reasonable discussion to resolve issues and are complicit in maintaining the status quo and doing everything you can to divide this issue on party lines. You are a child murderer.

Why are you even responding to this obvious trolls (and a bad troll at that) posts ??

Robert's got a quick hand

He'll look around the room, he won't tell you his plan...

There's no solution for this short of removing firearms from the equation. There's over 300 million people in this country and most of them are barely above certifiable idiot. It's amazing these shootings don't happen by the thousands a day. 

On 5/31/2018 at 4:13 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

These polls are always after a tragic mass shooting, but after order is restored and change can be had in placing legislators that will pass said bill, normally votes stay the same...

These polls are always after a tragic mass shooting, but after order is restored and change can be had in placing legislators that will pass said bill, normally votes stay the same...

Doesn’t matter when. Those politicians eventually have to run for re-election, and they know the 44% that are opposed to the idea will show up in far greater numbers than the other side. If the 49% would just go vote, we might actually be able to do something about the problem.

A Taiwanese exchange student accused of threatening a shooting at his high school near Philadelphia was sentenced to four to 23 months in prison but a judge ordered immediate parole to federal authorities for deportation.

The Delaware County Daily Times reported An-Tso Sun, 18, entered an open plea on Monday in Delaware County Court to terroristic threats.

School authorities were alerted in March that he talked about a May 1 shooting at Monsignor Bonner and Archbishop Prendergast High School, warning a friend not to come to school that day.

Sun called it a joke, but prosecutors said he had several parts of a 9mm handgun that a detective was able to assemble and fire along with two loaded 9mm magazines, a crossbow and a ballistic vest from his host family. Prosecutors also said he had researched how to buy weapons.

"Even a person in the defendant's position, having been in the country since September, had to know that you cannot joke about school shootings," Deputy District Attorney Daniel McDevitt said.

https://m.chron.com/news/education/article/Exchange-student-pleads-to-be-deported-in-threat-12966833.php

An Ohio man has been arrested for threatening to blow up multiple government buildings.

Court documents show the 23-year-old Pataskala man told co-workers at a packaging company that he wanted to get bomb-making materials with the goal of blowing up a judge's home, a courthouse, a police station and buildings that housed the Internal Revenue Service and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The employees told human resources, who then contacted police.

The man was charged Wednesday with making a terroristic threat. He is being held in lieu of $150,000 bond.

https://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Man-accused-of-threatening-to-blow-up-government-12956176.php

Authorities say a 17-year-old student in The Woodlands is facing charges of making a terroristic threat.

The Montgomery County District Attorney's Office says Jeffrey Roach is in custody after a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Officials at Conroe ISD identified Roach during the course of their investigation into the alleged threat. They said Roach attended classes at The Woodlands College Park High School.

The district attorney's office said one of Roach's parents brought the teen to the Montgomery County Jail on Monday to turn himself in.

Roach is also facing an additional count of retaliation, but we do not know the circumstances behind that charge.

The teen is scheduled to face a judge on June 6 in Conroe.

http://abc13.com/parent-takes-son-to-turn-himself-in-on-terroristic-threat-charges/3483113/

One day after five Houston-area students were arrested for threats and weapons and campuses across our area, there has been another arrest.

This time the arrest happened in La Porte.

A 14-year-old Lomax Junior High School student has been charged with making a terroristic threat on the school bus Tuesday morning.

He is being held in the Harris County Juvenile Probation Center.

La Porte police are asking parents to talk with their children about the seriousness of making threats.

"We again take this opportunity to remind parents to sit down and talk with their children relating to the importance of school safety and make sure that each student understands that threatening violence on campus is not a “joking” matter," they said in a statement. "The safety of our children and the security of our school campuses is absolutely our number one priority. All threats will be investigated and all those making a threat will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/14-year-old-la-porte-student-accused-of-making-terroristic-threat/285-557088711

It's a "See something, say something" world.  If you want to see more stories like this, just search the internets for "terroristic threat" news.

Edited by bernorange
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GW Hayduke said:

David Hogg’s home was swatted. 

"I think it's really a distraction from what we're trying to fix here," Hogg told Liane Morejon. "Which is the massive gun violence epidemic in this country."

https://www.local10.com/news/family-of-stoneman-douglas-advocate-david-hogg-swatted-at-home

I don't like the kid's politics but that is pretty shitty on the caller's part. They need to be found and punished to the full extent of the law. That is how innocent people get killed.

26 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I don't like the kid's politics but that is pretty shitty on the caller's part. They need to be found and punished to the full extent of the law. That is how innocent people get killed.

I believe this is the goal of whoever calls these things in.  Sick fuckers on the internet.

Hopefully they investigate the origin of the call and dig deep into any connections between the caller and Hogg, if any.  Hogg is in DC right now, I believe.  Assuming someone knowledgeable enough to hold this level of animosity with him would know this?  Seems like a stunt gone too far.  

Killing someone isn't the normal intent (not saying this wasn't intended for that purpose). To a part of the online community, It's almost like wrapping someone's yard when we were kids. Most 'Swattings' never make the news because PDs use context clues before making a full commitment. A few streamers, like Ice Poseidon, have been swatted over 20 times.  

IMO gonna need a new set of politicians capable of representing the interests of common citizens before we can start making progress at addressing firearm violence.  First steps should include reforms to campaign finance and dark money, solving this Russian/Israeli/right-wing propaganda problem, and increases in gun violence research.  We aren't going to make any meaningful steps at addressing gun violence for several more years.

2 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

IMO gonna need a new set of politicians capable of representing the interests of common citizens before we can start making progress at addressing firearm violence.  First steps should include reforms to campaign finance and dark money, solving this Russian/Israeli/right-wing propaganda problem, and increases in gun violence research.  We aren't going to make any meaningful steps at addressing gun violence for several more years.

You never will until campaign finance laws take money out of the equation to the extent it is now.  Corporations, PACS, and lobbyists shouldn't be able to throw the dollars they currently do at anybody.  

In closing, corporations might be people, but they're the worst sort of people.

• Like 2

Honestly, I don’t blame “gun nuts” all that much. We hope that all citizens, including gun owners, would understand the need for change and welcome measures that better society. For some reason, that isn’t the case. We could chalk this up to social media and an education system that is weak in critical thinking and citizen responsibilities. I would also lay blame to weak media regulations and dark money in politics.