Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

Very few people associated with Lamar thought they would be next. The randomness of gun violence is maddening.
Requiescat in pace.

Good friend of mine who was a photog at FWST when I was there taught school at Lamar for 14 years. Last year was his final year. Said he wondered if this was going to be the day something like this happened all the time. Crazy it happens the immediate school year after he retired.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, bonnieblue said:

Ugh terrible. Lamar did have a crazy samurai sword incident like 15ish years ago, but the only casualty was an ear

He’s heard a few details but nothing concrete. The kids are passing names around naturally. Sounds like the murder weapon might’ve been a shotgun and the victim might have been shot in the face. There’s also apparently video of the shooting.

On 3/20/2023 at 2:43 PM, Satchel said:

Very few people associated with Lamar thought they would be next. The randomness of gun violence is maddening.

Requiescat in pace.

My wife’s niece a couple of years ago, talking about her brother at lamar:  “I just hope he finishes before there’s a shooting.”

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Looks like we need a bunch of unarmed, AARP-eligible bouncers and doormen to protect our schools. They seem to be doing a better job of dealing with mass shootings lately than the police or good guys with guns.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

I hate these fuckers. I wish them ill. I want them to be subject to the same callous disregard for life or safety that they exhibit. Dead kids? Who cares? Dead kids weekly? Who cares? 

We are hurtling towards so much bad stuff with our broken republic leaning fascist, the Earth warming with no significant action or even general alarm about it, and racist gun nuts addicted to hate and righteousness and the rejection of reason.

There is no dealing with them. We can take empty satisfaction in that they will be enveloped by the horrors they ignore or actually cheer.

The UN report on climate*, the melting permafrost, the damaging effects of phosphorous (just read about this in The New Yorker), and the endemic indifference to anything not right in front of a person that is gratifying that person pretty much means it's over. Let's go down protecting child slaughter.

*Washington Post:

The world is likely to pass a dangerous temperature threshold within the next 10 years, pushing the planet past the point of catastrophic warming — unless nations drastically transform their economies and immediately transition away from fossil fuels, according to one of the most definitive reports ever published about climate change.

The report released Monday by the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) found that the world is likely to surpass its most ambitious climate target — limiting warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial temperatures — by the early 2030s.

Beyond that threshold, scientists have found, climate disasters will become so extreme that people will not be able to adapt. Basic components of the Earth system will be fundamentally, irrevocably altered. Heat waves, famines and infectious diseases could claim millions of additional lives by century’s end.

In 2018, the IPCC found that a 1.5C world would be overwhelmingly safer than one that is 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than the preindustrial era. At the time, scientists said humanity would have to zero out carbon emissions by 2050 to meet the 1.5-degree target and by 2070 to avoid warming beyond 2 degrees.

Five years later, humanity isn’t anywhere close to reaching either goal. Unless nations adopt new environmental policies — and follow through on the ones already in place — global average temperatures could warm by 3.2 degrees Celsius (5.8 degrees Fahrenheit) by the end of the century, the synthesis report says. In that scenario, a child born today would live to see several feet of sea level rise, the extinction of hundreds of species and the migration of millions of people from places where they can no longer survive.

But few institutions are acting fast enough, the report said. November’s U.N. climate conference in Egypt ended without a resolution to phase down oil, gas and coal — a baseline requirement for curbing climate change. Last year, China approved its largest expansion of coal-fired power plants since 2015. Amid soaring profits, major oil companies are dialing back their clean-energy initiatives and deepening investments in fossil fuels.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I hate these fuckers. I wish them ill. I want them to be subject to the same callous disregard for life or safety that they exhibit. Dead kids? Who cares? Dead kids weekly? Who cares? 

We are hurtling towards so much bad stuff with our broken republic leaning fascist, the Earth warming with no significant action or even general alarm about it, and racist gun nuts addicted to hate and righteousness and the rejection of reason.

There is no dealing with them. We can take empty satisfaction in that they will be enveloped by the horrors they ignore or actually cheer.

The UN report on climate*, the melting permafrost, the damaging effects of phosphorous (just read about this in The New Yorker), and the endemic indifference to anything not right in front of a person that is gratifying that person pretty much means it's over. Let's go down protecting child slaughter.

*Washington Post:

Oh yeah we are turbofucked.  As the permafrost melts and releases methane, it's all going to snowball (no pun intended).  Seriously, I think people need to start enjoying what we have RIGHT NOW because we aren't stopping this shit.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 6

clearly we don't need background and mental checks in order to procure firearms. we're constantly witnessing exactly what the founding fathers intended. 

Fuck you commie. 2A! 2A! 2A!

Thinking about switching things up and defining my identity around the 2A. Heading to Amazon now for some punisher stickers. Prices are better in bulk, anybody with me??

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Hearing reports of another one at a school in Nashville. Looking for more info. First report is 4 shot, suspect killed by the police. 

Fuck these murdering assholes. 

A suspect is dead following a shooting at a private elementary school in Nashville, Tennessee, on Monday, according to police.

The Nashville Fire Department reported that there were multiple patients at the Covenant School, a Christian school for students in preschool through sixth grade.

The number of victims was not immediately clear. At least one person has been hospitalized, according to a spokesman at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Police said officers "engaged" with the suspect who was then declared dead.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-patients-reported-amid-active-aggressor-nashville-school/story?id=98152651

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Holy fuck. Jon Stewart just tears this dumbass Okie a new asshole, exposing his weak hypocrisy. 

Make Stewart president for life!

That is an excercise in civil discourse that should be taught in schools. Stewart takes this person's opinions seriously and simply exercises them using facts and easy to follow reasoning. The other guy gets to speak, get's to clarify, and gets to rebut. 

Stewart's final declaration of hypocrisy is not an epithet but a conclusion supported by all that has preceded it. 

I wonder if Stewart had any inkling that he would end up following this path. I was never impressed with him as a comedian prior to The Daily Show. He has really developed refined skills for argument.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Good thing they were focused on important ways to protect kids like banning drag shows!

Let's not just jump to conclusions here. Maybe the shooter was a drag queen who just read "Worm Loves Worm" and was browsing the internet for pictures of Michelangelo's David.

12 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Good thing they were focused on important ways to protect kids like banning drag shows!

If they are sending "Thoughts & Prayers" to Nashville kids, I hope they are thinking hard and pray loudly because they are locking doors and sheltering beneath desks, and the gunshots makes a lot of noise.  It does, however, make me wonder why the deity receiving all the prayers didn’t protect those kids in the Christian school, which was likely selected by parents to protect their kids.

• Hook 'Em 3