Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

3 hours ago, Constant said:

Can’t help but feel anything other than sadness and hopelessness every time. The onion article once again will read true. How are so many Americans okay with this? Are we not tired yet?

If you have a job standing on your feet all day, the oppressive pain finally wears out the nerves to become a miserable kind of numbness. You know it's bad. You know it will hurt when you finally sit down and the nerves come back on line, but you learn to ignore all that just to keep slogging through whatever mundane job you find yourself stuck in. 

22 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

See here’s the thing about our respective corners - I think you and I are fundamentally in the same corner. Me, you, @Brisketexan are all gun guys. 
You don’t think an “assault weapons” ban as such would do any good and neither do I (brisket may disagree on that one, that’s fine). We agree that the current regime on suppressors and braces is stupid. We also agree in theory that mentally ill people, wife beaters and felons shouldn’t be able to buy guns. 
Where we disagree is that I basically trust the process to adjudicate who is mentally ill, a wife beater or felon. You (I think, please correct me if needed) do not, and think removal of weapons or denial of access should have some kind of higher objective standard. Is that right?

In a macro sense, pretty much spot on.  It’s not even that I don’t trust the process, I just haven’t seen one that’s been presented that doesn’t leave you with some major questions that should be answered, imo. 

Please also note the irony in blindly trusting the person calling (they bbqing up here, I think I saw a crime), the police (no further explanation needed), and the judges (POC sentencing history…) all of a sudden, trusted to do no wrongs.    I’m not certain your feelings on that, but I’ve read plenty here to pick up some hypocrisy.   Quite honestly, conversation is no longer worth the negs for me.  

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So testosterone leads to mass gun violence?

Cool.  Don't sell guns or ammo to men.  Problem solved.  I'm not buying, regardless, so I no longer give a fuck about your pew pew obsession.

Don't vote for (white) men, either.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Bookman said:

A majority of Americans support these school shootings. They literally keep voting for them.

Thanks pal. He was very much speaking straight to me and really at me, even after I said I knew one of the victims. 

9 minutes ago, Bookman said:

A majority of Americans support these school shootings. They literally keep voting for them.

Uvalde county voted for Abbott 60-38 after the shootings. We’re immune to it, or have decided that there’s other things more important. 

• Rage+1 2

36 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You don’t think an “assault weapons” ban as such would do any good and neither do I (brisket may disagree on that one, that’s fine).

Too late to edit list.  Brisket is right. It would almost certainly lessen it. Would it stop, no, but NET 0 is probably not attainable.  The only question most “gun guys” care about is where does it stop?  You establish that, put that line in stone, and you’ll have droves of people willing to listen.  You might, but most here won’t believe me, but I would.  What people want to know is what and when you’ll be coming for the next time a popular weapon become fetishized by these murderous fucks. 

I’ve got <5 years until my youngest is onto bolts and then fuck ARs, you can have them back.  Work in a tax credit even remotely close to what they’re worth and I’d probably be interested even sooner.  But let’s melt them, none of that Fast and Furious nonsense.  

The shooting was acknowledged in an emotional prayer from a guest pastor on the Senate floor, where several people were seen wiping away tears before a swift adjournment. Senate Democrats, three of whom are from Nashville, angrily criticized the move to adjourn quickly and not allow comments about the tragedy.

An hour later, Rep. Bo Mitchell, D-Nashville, was admonished on the House floor for telling colleagues not to call themselves "pro-life" if they choose to expand access to firearms. House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville, gaveled Mitchell down, suggesting he'd gone off topic from the "welcoming and honoring" agenda item. Mitchell's microphone was temporarily turned off as he responded to Sexton, jabbing his finger at the chamber dais.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/03/27/nashville-covenant-school-shooting-tennessee-lawmakers-pause-floor-debates/70053087007/

• Rage+1 3

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You know exactly what the fuck he's talking about, you worthless excuse for a man.

No idea what either of you is talking about. 

32 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve got <5 years until my youngest is onto bolts and then fuck ARs, you can have them back.

No argument from me about AR’s. More about posturing and fantasy play in civilian hands. They aren’t the best gun for anything except for hanging aftermarket accessories 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No argument from me about AR’s. More about posturing and fantasy play in civilian hands. They aren’t the best gun for anything. 

they're apparently really good at chopping kids into unidentifiable pieces. oh, and killing hogs, or something

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

Sure I would. 

No.
You.
Wouldn’t.

You vote GQP 100% of the time, and that’s only because you can’t vote for them 200% of the time. And the GQP has sworn a blood oath not just to not allow any more regulation of firearms, they are dedicated to rolling many of the regs we have BACK. You vote ONLY for candidates who stand for that.
Thanks pal. He was very much speaking straight to me and really at me, even after I said I knew one of the victims. 

Yeah, I was. Which is what makes your open support for leadership opposed to functionally all limits on firearms that much more disgusting. People who can see their own kids in the shattered bodies STILL support this. It’s hopeless.
Um, I don’t think anyone trusts the system to do no wrongs. I think it gets things right the vast majority of the time and I bet you agree. In other words- if it’s good enough for you to trust it to put a man to death or send a kid to juvie, shouldn’t it be good enough to temporarily take guns away from a man telling his neighbors and friends he’s gonna shoot up a school/business/church/nightclub.
The slope just doesn’t seem slippery. 

Bingo.
The same people who absolutely trust the system to decide people should be executed or at least deprived of their liberty don’t believe that it can possibly adjudicate firearms red flag issues. And yes, NOTHING is perfect, but goddamn.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No.
You.
Wouldn’t.

You vote GQP 100% of the time, and that’s only because you can’t vote for them 200% of the time. And the GQP has sworn a blood oath not just to not allow any more regulation of firearms, they are dedicated to rolling many of the regs we have BACK. You vote ONLY for candidates who stand for that.

Yeah, I was. Which is what makes your open support for leadership opposed to functionally all limits on firearms that much more disgusting. People who can see their own kids in the shattered bodies STILL support this. It’s hopeless.

Bingo.
The same people who absolutely trust the system to decide people should be executed or at least deprived of their liberty don’t believe that it can possibly adjudicate firearms red flag issues. And yes, NOTHING is perfect, but goddamn.

Hadn’t voted GOP since ‘12 in any election. You continue to have no clue what you’re talking about. You and jimmyjazz can go fuck yourselves.  Y’all want me to post a pic of one of these gals when she was 4?

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Not to be dark on an already exceptionally dark thread, but you already know the answer to this. To him and those like him, it would take just one more dead kid: theirs. Until it affects them personally, they will never, ever care enough.

i mean i'm not even sure that is true. look how Uvalde voted last year...

200w (13).gif

• Rage+1 6

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

they're apparently really good at chopping kids into unidentifiable pieces. oh, and killing hogs, or something

Sigh.  No. And they aren’t even great at killing hogs. 
I have a friend who was a leader of infantry in Afghanistan. Sometimes we talk about this. He always brings up that the 5.56 (standard AR-15 chambering) is really not built to kill. He says something like 

“The 5.56 would mostly just wound the enemy in a firefight. Then they are out there screaming and their buddies would come get them and we would hose them down with the 7.62.”

It’s not the best gun for killing anything. It’s great for hurting people. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

The shooting was acknowledged in an emotional prayer from a guest pastor on the Senate floor, where several people were seen wiping away tears before a swift adjournment. Senate Democrats, three of whom are from Nashville, angrily criticized the move to adjourn quickly and not allow comments about the tragedy.

An hour later, Rep. Bo Mitchell, D-Nashville, was admonished on the House floor for telling colleagues not to call themselves "pro-life" if they choose to expand access to firearms. House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville, gaveled Mitchell down, suggesting he'd gone off topic from the "welcoming and honoring" agenda item. Mitchell's microphone was temporarily turned off as he responded to Sexton, jabbing his finger at the chamber dais.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/03/27/nashville-covenant-school-shooting-tennessee-lawmakers-pause-floor-debates/70053087007/

Cowards behaving cowardly

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mchookem said:

i mean i'm not even sure that is true. look how Uvalde voted last year...

200w (13).gif

Right. It has to be their kid. Even their lifelong neighbor's kid getting shredded to pieces wouldn't do it.

That's still outside their empathy zone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Too late to edit list.  Brisket is right. It would almost certainly lessen it. Would it stop, no, but NET 0 is probably not attainable.  The only question most “gun guys” care about is where does it stop?  You establish that, put that line in stone, and you’ll have droves of people willing to listen.  You might, but most here won’t believe me, but I would.  What people want to know is what and when you’ll be coming for the next time a popular weapon become fetishized by these murderous fucks. 

I’ve got <5 years until my youngest is onto bolts and then fuck ARs, you can have them back.  Work in a tax credit even remotely close to what they’re worth and I’d probably be interested even sooner.  But let’s melt them, none of that Fast and Furious nonsense.  

bs2.gif

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I have a friend who was a leader of infantry in Afghanistan. Sometimes we talk about this. He always brings up that the 5.56 (standard AR-15 chambering) is really not built to kill. He says something like 

“The 5.56 would mostly just wound the enemy in a firefight. Then they are out there screaming and their buddies would come get them and we would hose them down with the 7.62.”

There's also that study posted several months ago demonstrating that hunting random feral hogs is making things worse in Texas, unlike other states who are taking a more methodical approach.

• Hook 'Em 3

Hadn’t voted GOP since ‘12 in any election. You continue to have no clue what you’re talking about. You and jimmyjazz can go fuck yourselves.  Y’all want me to post a pic of one of these gals when she was 4?

1) I don’t buy it.
2) Even if true, that almost certainly means that you’ve voted for Gary Johnson types…modern Libertarians might even be MORE opposed to gun regulation.
You’ll never, ever vote for anyone who actually wants to regulate firearms because you’ll never vote for a Dem because muh taxes and whatnot. A few extra bucks in your pocket is worth the human sacrifice.
  • Hook 'Em 1

There's also that study posted several months ago demonstrating that hunting random feral hogs is making things worse in Texas, unlike other states who are taking a more methodical approach.

Hate to say it, but Aggy is all over this.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Your friend obviously doesn’t know shit. I have it on good authority they are a super special type of gun that decapitates anything and everything they are fired at. 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

With an AR platform?

Mostly - most•ly. Adverb.

As regards to the greater part or number. 

usually; generally. 

So I went to the dark side and red that TexAgs thread. There are a few of them that support red flag laws…

For trans people. 

Nothing about family abuse , mentally I’ll or violent insurrectionists. 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Are you going to tell us you're voting for Democrats?

You voted for Beto? 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You and jimmyjazz can go fuck yourselves.

I wholeheartedly invite you to do the same, you worthless excuse for a man.  Do you think we haven't read your shit for decades on here?  Fuck off, preferably with a b#*&$(   #redacted

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1) I don’t buy it.
2) Even if true, that almost certainly means that you’ve voted for Gary Johnson types…modern Libertarians might even be MORE opposed to gun regulation.
You’ll never, ever vote for anyone who actually wants to regulate firearms because you’ll never vote for a Dem because muh taxes and whatnot. A few extra bucks in your pocket is worth the human sacrifice.

I don’t know what to tell you other than I’ve been repeating this on this board for years. I don’t vote GOP because they disgust me. I’m politically apathetic because all politicians disgust me. Particularly at the national level (both parties). I’m not asking you to believe me. Maybe just don’t start taking me to task in a thread where I knew one of the deceased and my youngest is one year older than her. 

I understand why this thread is mocking our current gun laws and I’m acutely aware of the forum I’m in. There is nowhere else to discuss this and I just wanted to express despair. I never post in mass murder threads, and so I don’t get why you’d jump on me without knowing my feeling on guns. You’re being as presumptuous as I’ve ever witnessed. 

Also, my wife has connections to one of the victims, and knows folks who know the pastor whose child was killed. And her take is that she’s fucking done. She’s quite happy that our kids are not here in the US, and there’s a good chance that our grandchildren will be born and grow up someplace that actually places some value on their lives - and that ain’t here.

This is the ultra violent hellscape that enough of us have gleefully voted for. This is the dream. It’s the culmination of all they’ve worked for all these years.

If we can opt out of it, why wouldn’t we? GTFO.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

One of those girls was someone well known in HP that moved to Nashville. 9 yo. Jesus Christ it is pathetic we cannot  will not protect our children. 

Fify 

Edited by Satchel

I don’t know what to tell you other than I’ve been repeating this on this board for years. I don’t vote GOP because they disgust me. I’m politically apathetic because all politicians disgust me. Particularly at the national level (both parties). I’m not asking you to believe me. Maybe just don’t start taking me to task in a thread where I knew one of the deceased and my youngest is one year older than her. 
I understand why this thread is mocking our current gun laws and I’m acutely aware of the forum I’m in. There is nowhere else to discuss this and I just wanted to express despair. I never post in mass murder threads, and so I don’t get why you’d jump on me without knowing my feeling on guns. You’re being as presumptuous as I’ve ever witnessed. 

Cool. So you do NOTHING about it. If you want to solve the issue, support and empower people who will actually take action.
Or realize that the battle is over, and the bad guys have won. Both because of people who support them, and people who let them win. People like you.
You don’t get to sit on the sidelines. That’s the damned point.
You don’t like knowing a kid who just got blown apart. What are you gonna do about it?

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, my wife has connections to one of the victims, and knows folks who know the pastor whose child was killed. And her take is that she’s fucking done. She’s quite happy that our kids are not here in the US, and there’s a good chance that our grandchildren will be born and grow up someplace that actually places some value on their lives - and that ain’t here.

This is the ultra violent hellscape that enough of us have gleefully voted for. This is the dream. It’s the culmination of all they’ve worked for all these years.

If we can opt out of it, why wouldn’t we? GTFO.

I know that pastor. His daughter is to whom I’m referring.

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Fify 

Yes. 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool. So you do NOTHING about it. If you want to solve the issue, support and empower people who will actually take action.
Or realize that the battle is over, and the bad guys have won. Both because of people who support them, and people who let them win. People like you.
You don’t get to sit on the sidelines. That’s the damned point.
You don’t like knowing a kid who just got blown apart. What are you gonna do about it?

What actions have you taken to lessen child murder?  How successful have you been with your actions?  If you have ideas that can effect change, I’m all ears. 

Edited by Porterhouse

What actions have you taken to lessen child murder?  How successful have you been with your actions?  If you have ideas that can effect change, I’m all ears. 

I support potential leaders with my vote, and a chunk of my money. If more people would JOIN ME…people like you….then guess what? We have a chance to stop this madness. Whadda you say? We could use the support and help. All it takes is enough of us - every person, every vote, counts.
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I support potential leaders with my vote, and a chunk of my money. If more people would JOIN ME…people like you….then guess what? We have a chance to stop this madness. Whadda you say? We could use the support and help. All it takes is enough of us - every person, every vote, counts.

Which leaders, specifically, and positive changes have you seen occur?