Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

The entire thing is there are by account about 25 million AR-15s out there. If each person only had one... that would be 7.5% of the population. Most likely many people own several, making that ownership percentage even smaller.

So we have to deal with this shit because of 5-7% of the population. Un fucking believable. 

So 24 hours after another gunman shot up a school with an AR-15, our esteemed Senator has the gall to say that Joe Biden should *checks notes* apologize to the parents of those who died from fentanyl poisoning.

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So 24 hours after another gunman shot up a school with an AR-15, our esteemed Senator has the gall to say that Joe Biden should *checks notes* apologize to the parents of those who died from fentanyl poisoning.

I find it interesting that Cornyn is focused on fentanyl deaths NOW, given the steep rise during <checks notes> the Trump administration.

fentanyl-deaths-increasing-line-chart

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah, it's getting worse but it's not like it just magically started in January of 2021.  

Fentanyl scares the shit out of me because my daughters have since decided that they must touch every fucking thing they see in public.  And then touch their face.  But I can at least educate them, wash their hands, etc.  I can't teach my daughter how not to bleed out after taking a half magazine from an AR-15.  If somebody has one of those magic blood coagulators from star trek, lemme know.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

how long before prisons and schools are indistinguishable?

about 5 years ago i had an idea for a black mirror episode, and as a writing exercise, i thought i would write a spec script.

it opens with what looks like a normal classroom full of kids, but it eventually becomes clear that no one is physically there, it's all virtual, and the kids are all at their individual houses in these vr pods.  like all black mirrors, it was set in the "not very distant future" and physical schools were not a thing anymore because of shootings.  but the episode wasn't really about gun violence, it focused more on these emotionally stunted children who had such limited interactions with other kids.

after i wrote a full treatment, i saved it and stored it and haven't looked at it since.  i couldn't write it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

^

HG-you should finish that.  Seriously.  A screenwriter/author friend of mine, Robert Knott (wrote Appaloosa with Ed Harris & Viggo and some other cool stuff, works with Giancarlo Esposito from time to time) had kind of a parallel idea of Westworld meets Black Mirror schooling during Covid.  I may have mentioned this to you.  I'm gonna get the pitch all wrong, but it was kind of along the lines of kids just stay back at home due to covid and gun violence and all declining schools and all that (can't remember the backstory), and then to maintain emotional and physical engagement with other "kids and teachers", there were these AI robots that looked like us/hosts and the kids could learn from them, and play/eat/recess with them, do sports, etc.  I think he wrote it as a feature-length, but couldn't figure out the third act reveal.  As a stand-alone Black-Mirror esque episode, your idea would certainly fly.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You do realize that kids interact with each other at more places and activities than school, right?

In the hot tubs of youth pastors?

• Hook 'Em 2

Shared some of this observation before, but it came up again in response to the TN shooting.

My kids have both gone to college outside the US.  Their friend groups include kids from all kinds of developed nations: Canada, France, the UK, Sweden, Japan, S. Korea, etc.  And each of my kids has related the experience of talking to their friends about how they automatically assess a classroom, lecture hall, etc. upon entry: look for the quickest exit, look for desks and walls that can be used as defilade, and the like.  And every time, their friends' jaws drop.  My kids ask something to the effect of "wait, y'all DON'T do that?"  And the answer is always a version of "FOR FUCK'S SAKE NO!  WE DON'T DO THAT!  THAT'S COMPLETELY FUCKED UP!"

For American children, it is second nature, by the end of ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, to think about how to avoid getting shot while at school.  For kids from every other developed country (and shit, even most 2nd/3rd world countries), it doesn't even cross their minds.

We are a truly fucked up, broken place.  I mean, horrifically broken and depraved.  And what is our leaderships' answer to that?  Well, you saw it above -- "not gonna fix it."  The #1 cause of death for children is firearms.....and we aren't gonna fix it.  But we're sure as shit gonna ban us some books!  And....here's the kicker....that's the outcome we WANT, because enough of us keep voting for it.

The MAGAs are right -- we are committing cultural suicide.  They're just too dumb to realize that they're the ones spiking our collective punch with cyanide.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 5

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Textbook. 

Does the textbook say to keep firing at the target once they’re on the ground? She was already down and appeared to be neutralized. But apparently she was still squirming so that one cop fired off several more rounds and shouted, “Stop moving!” I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect someone who’s just been shot to lie perfectly still on the ground. And firing at them until they’re dead and motionless seems like literal overkill. Is that what the textbook says?

I get it. “Fuck her!” and “She deserved to die!” I understand the emotion. But so much for any chance to interrogate the suspect. Given how her body was contorted, it looked like she was pretty severely wounded. She may not have survived as it was. But I think once the suspect is down and apparently incapacitated, the textbook says to move in slowly, with guns on them in case they make a move with their weapon, until they’re disarmed. I don’t think writhing in pain constitutes a threat that justifies firing more shots to finish them off.

Just something I noticed that seemed out of place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Does the textbook say to keep firing at the target once they’re on the ground? She was already down and appeared to be neutralized. But apparently she was still squirming so that one cop fired off several more rounds and shouted, “Stop moving!” I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect someone who’s just been shot to lie perfectly still on the ground. And firing at them until they’re dead and motionless seems like literal overkill. Is that what the textbook says?

I get it. “Fuck her!” and “She deserved to die!” I understand the emotion. But so much for any chance to interrogate the suspect. Given how her body was contorted, it looked like she was pretty severely wounded. She may not have survived as it was. But I think once the suspect is down and apparently incapacitated, the textbook says to move in slowly, with guns on them in case they make a move with their weapon, until they’re disarmed. I don’t think writhing in pain constitutes a threat that justifies firing more shots to finish them off.

I'm pretty sure the modern police textbook for nearly all scenarios is just "kill." 

The entire thing is there are by account about 25 million AR-15s out there. If each person only had one... that would be 7.5% of the population. Most likely many people own several, making that ownership percentage even smaller.
So we have to deal with this shit because of 5-7% of the population. Un fucking believable. 

Mark me in the 93%.

Never owned a gun. I have no intentions on owning one in the future. I don’t need one. Even with the ways and places I spend my time. Most gun owners seem scared of their own shadows.

Hell, I bet most “hunters” are really just shooters. Shooting a deer at a feeder ain’t hunting.

America apparently has a major tiny dick and tiny brain problem.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For American children, it is second nature, by the end of ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, to think about how to avoid getting shot while at school.  For kids from every other developed country (and shit, even most 2nd/3rd world countries), it doesn't even cross their minds.

My daughter's class participates in routine lockdown drills.

She is two years old.

• Rage+1 4

She is two years old.

You ungrateful fuck. Republicans are doing your parenting for you. This kind of thing should be normalized. Fuck trying to find solutions. Fuck trying to look at the root causes.

There was a false alarm at my kids’ school the other day. I only know this because I got the alert from the school. My kids didn’t mention it because this is NORMAL now.

How fucking dumb do you have to be ok with this? Apparently not too dumb to get a college education and still think this is perfectly fine to make a transaction of freedumbs (unnecessary weapons for you soldiers) for kids’ lives.

Broken. Country.
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I get what you are saying here, but in this particular instance I think you are splitting hairs.  As is already public due to the messages she sent to a former classmate minutes before it began, this was a suicide mission.  She fully intended to make sure she didn't leave that building alive, either via a self-inflicted shot or suicide by police, which was likely to happen if she raised any of the three weapons she had on her regardless of her intended target.

If that's not the only part of this incident that wasn't handled textbook perfect, I'm OK with it.  And, since we can't see whats happening in the blurred portion, we likely will never know.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I can't imagine being a child there and not knowing what was going to happen. I can't imagine how terrifying it was for those kids.

This is what rocked me about Sandy Hook (I had a first grader at the time) and any shooting where younger children are involved.  They live such innocent lives, and they had that shattered.

• Rage+1 3

We should enact laws to control, not eliminate, access but I’ve come to the conclusion that some care more about their rights than dead children. Not mentioning names but there are people posting here that wouldn’t give up their rights in order to protect their own (grand)children.
I’m reminded of Jefferson quote but adjusted for them: The tree of the 2nd amendment must refreshed from time to time with the blood of children and murderers.

You mean 2nd amendment rights? As intended citizens have the right to bear arms as part of the duty to serve in a militia to defend their community and, when called upon, their State and Country.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

This is what rocked me about Sandy Hook (I had a first grader at the time) and any shooting where younger children are involved.  They live such innocent lives, and they had that shattered.

Mine was in third grade at the time I think. I am not a crier, at all, but I had a hard time getting it out when I was telling her what happened that evening. 

13 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

I get what you are saying here, but in this particular instance I think you are splitting hairs.  As is already public due to the messages she sent to a former classmate minutes before it began, this was a suicide mission.  She fully intended to make sure she didn't leave that building alive, either via a self-inflicted shot or suicide by police, which was likely to happen if she raised any of the three weapons she had on her regardless of her intended target.

If that's not the only part of this incident that wasn't handled textbook perfect, I'm OK with it.  And, since we can't see whats happening in the blurred portion, we likely will never know.

Agree 100%

Also, just watched the bodycam video.  Puke-worthy.

Our culture is a disease.  Other countries should ban Americans from traveling there, lest we infect them with our deadly idiocy.  Also, all those other countries should send us all the Fentanyl they can, on the hope that we'll just eliminate ourselves.  Utterly, irreparably broken....AND PROUD OF IT, DOUBLING DOWN ON IT.

But hey, we're banning drag shows, and isn't that what REALLY matters?

We could set it up as a daily event -- 1,000 school kids lined up, to be executed by lunatics with ARs.  Every single day.  365 days a year.  And it wouldn't move the needle.  The horrific truth about this country is that this is EXACTLY how we want it to be, because given chance after chance after chance to make it otherwise.....we say "nope, we're good as-is.  Wait, check that....we're going to make it EASIER to get a firearm, and HARDER to prevent someone from using a firearm to commit acts of violence!  Take THAT, commie!"

If I was a legislator, I would have a cross made of ARs painted onto the back of the coat of every suit I own, and wear that every day to chambers.  It's a protected symbol of a religion: that religion being the worship of the gun as a god, which of course demands the periodic blood sacrifice of innocents.  I would offer up prayers to the God of AR, asking that He accept the blood offering of these 6 children, sacrificed in His Holy Name.  In the name of the upper, the lower, and the suppressor, Amen.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I usually don’t side with cops but fuck that. You want to go armed to the teeth to an elementary school I won’t be upset when you get Swiss-cheesed. She wasn’t trying to surrender.

• Hook 'Em 2

The problem is that Democrats don't fucking bring it on this shit.  Simply say that, yes this is simply another Republican sponsored and endorsed slaughter of school children. And until the Republicans decide they want to do something other than sponsor and endorse the slaughter of school children by AR-15's, this is where we are at. 

The only thing we can do ad Democrats is ask the public to please ask your Republican Representative why they personally sponsor and endorse the slaughter of school children by Assault weapons. 

Then let the pussy ass whining by the Republicans begin...  I think it's worth labeling these tragedies correctly. As Endorsed and Sponsored by the GOP!

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

My kids have both gone to college outside the US.  Their friend groups include kids from all kinds of developed nations: Canada, France, the UK, Sweden, Japan, S. Korea, etc.  And each of my kids has related the experience of talking to their friends about how they automatically assess a classroom, lecture hall, etc. upon entry: look for the quickest exit, look for desks and walls that can be used as defilade, and the like.  And every time, their friends' jaws drop.  My kids ask something to the effect of "wait, y'all DON'T do that?"  And the answer is always a version of "FOR FUCK'S SAKE NO!  WE DON'T DO THAT!  THAT'S COMPLETELY FUCKED UP!"

You know this, but my daughter also goes to college outside the US, and has the same experience. Among the first questions new people ask her when they find out where she’s from, along with whether she has cowboy boots is “does your family have a gun in the house?”  We do have several guns, and a complicated conversation follows.

She is a regular contributor to a student publication with a fairly large circulation. Most of what she covers is nightlife related, but after Uvalde she pitched a perspective piece called something like  “A School Shooting in America is not your Punchline.” They didn’t accept the piece, in part because they don’t often publish that sort of thing and very likely because the editors felt our gun violence problem is fair game on some level.  

I’m glad for her to have the experience of navigating these issues as an outsider, and to experience and appreciate her own country through the eyes of others, but it’s got to be painful sometimes. She’s certainly a lot more patriotic after two years of this than she was when she left. Also angrier than we can’t seem to do better or solve anything. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

Over the years I've spoken tp survivors of the Tower shooting spree and the 1959 bombing of Poe Elementary in Houston. Understandably, they all ended up warped. Non so much as Dr Larry Schacht, a HS buddy of my parents who ended up being the camp doctor at Jonestown and the man who literally brewed the Guyana punch. Ripple effects are no joke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Shared some of this observation before, but it came up again in response to the TN shooting.

We are a truly fucked up, broken place.  I mean, horrifically broken and depraved.  And what is our leaderships' answer to that?  Well, you saw it above -- "not gonna fix it."  The #1 cause of death for children is firearms.....and we aren't gonna fix it.  But we're sure as shit gonna ban us some books!  And....here's the kicker....that's the outcome we WANT, because enough of us keep voting for it.

The MAGAs are right -- we are committing cultural suicide.  They're just too dumb to realize that they're the ones spiking our collective punch with cyanide.

A few decades ago I read an article about American violence. I don't remember the main theme anymore (likely because it's been repeated many times), but I do remember one illustration that resembles your story.

There was an emergency medicine conference in Europe that invited doctors from all over the world to share techniques and practices. An American surgeon arrives at the venue. There's a large board of different topics to be discussed in various locations within. The surgeon scans the board a couple of times and casually asks, "where are the seminars on gunshot wounds?"

All of the other physicians around him fell into horrified silence. Only Northern Ireland had anything approaching the rate of gunshot wounds treated in an ER as the US.

I also recall around that time reading the Japanese were very critical of America as a gun culture. I wasn't offended, but I didn't think it was apt at the time. Mass shootings were still big news. Columbine High hadn't been shot to hell. I thought the foreigners were over reacting to what seemed like rare events.

In the years following, there were a number of incidents of foreigners being shot by homeowners. One was a drunk Scotsman who went to the wrong back door in Houston. He got blasted through the door. Another guy was an Asian confused about Halloween in Louisiana. He was shot to death in a fucking driveway.

It's obvious now. The Japanese were correct. We are a sick, violent gun culture. We slaughtered our way across a whole continent. We put people born on American soil into chains and servitude. We have military bases all over the world ready to rain death anywhere at any moment.

It's all normal to us. It's normal to me. I'm opining too long the last few weeks. The crossroads of so many news storylines points to so much horror coming. Sigh.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's kind of like combat at that point. I've never experienced battle, but I try to read about it and understand those who have fought. I cut a lot of slack to soldiers in the heat of battle and the period immediately after. Historically, that's the most dangerous moments for prisoners. 

I don't think you can call forth the animal inside and then cage it up again smoothly. That person had been a legitimate lethal threat just seconds before. I'd prefer cops try apprehension, and I absolutely abhor the excesses the take in dealing with with citizens on other types of encounters. That said, this was a battle situation.

If the shooter was wearing body armor, that would also influence and decision: Is the perp actually out of the fight? I've got a second to decide as they move with a weapon still at hand. Somebody walking up and popping the perp in the head would be a different matter.

Man, I'm writing long today. Probably ought to stop altogether.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

She is two years old.

Too young to arm. Maybe we should put explosive vests on small children that emit a focused blast in the direction from which a bullet strikes it. A little kid isn't going to survive a body shot anyway, so let's give 'em a chance for payback in that last gasp!

The fear of exploding children will deter shooters. 

28 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What he wants is a good, strong monarchy with a tasteful and decent king who has some knowledge of theology and geometry and to cultivate a rich inner life

840.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=85

hey now...Ana is a lot of things but i don't think he's advocated for a monarchy!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Too young to arm. Maybe we should put explosive vests on small children that emit a focused blast in the direction from which a bullet strikes it. A little kid isn't going to survive a body shot anyway, so let's give 'em a chance for payback in that last gasp!

The fear of exploding children will deter shooters. 

You arrogant ass....you just wrote a bill that will be introduced in the Texas legislature this freaking session.  Great job, seriously, super wonderful.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It’s past time for Democrats to exploit the openings the SC provided in rulings like Heller. The majority opinion declared that:

Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. [It is] not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

• Hook 'Em 2