Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

'Fear of Exploding Children'

That's not a Philip K. Dick novel.  That's a sarcastic suggestion put forth by an adult whom I think is likely reasonably intelligent in real life, and for a few moments, I pragmatically thought about it.  That's where we are.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Satchel said:

It’s past time for Democrats to exploit the openings the SC provided in rulings like Heller. The majority opinion declared that:

Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. [It is] not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

Heller is dead.  This SCOTUS tried to say its not in its awful, illogical, and indefensible opinion in Bruen, but then set a rule that functionally voids Heller.  In short, if a regulation/restriction didn't exist in 1791 (when the 2nd Amendment was adopted), then it is unconstitutional.  Nevermind that the WEAPONS we're talking about ALSO didn't exist in 1791, that's beside the point, you commie libtard gun grabber!

Seriously, Bruen means that there functionally are no restrictions, and lower courts are already following that reasoning.  Age limits, restrictions on people under domestic violence orders, all unconstitutional.

Bruen is one of the most illogical, irrational, indefensible opinions I've ever read.  And it's even more hysterical that it says "we're not doing X" and then in the next breath, "therefore, we're doing X."  We have the utopia the gun nuts wanted.  It's here, in all of its blood-soaked glory.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

8 minutes ago, Constant said:

I was speaking more to the big picture. Searching buildings like this one is a complicated fucking nightmare and these guys did an excellent job. Instantly formed an assault team and began navigating quickly and communicating clearly to one another. They heard the shots and instantly started skipping the search and moving straight to where the sound took them. And once there they did not hesitate and they neutralized the threat. 

You have every right to judge all the minutiae you please, but i’ll refrain. 

Yeah....I have zero criticism of how the LEOs here conducted themselves.  It was actually pretty damn textbook -- you skip over everything else, with a single-minded focus on finding and neutralizing the shooter.

I'm sure every cop who was in Uvalde who watched this video is utterly confused -- "wait, that's a THING?  That you can DO?"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Heller is dead.  This SCOTUS tried to say its not in its awful, illogical, and indefensible opinion in Bruen, but then set a rule that functionally voids Heller.  In short, if a regulation/restriction didn't exist in 1791 (when the 2nd Amendment was adopted), then it is unconstitutional.  Nevermind that the WEAPONS we're talking about ALSO didn't exist in 1791, that's beside the point, you commie libtard gun grabber!

Seriously, Bruen means that there functionally are no restrictions, and lower courts are already following that reasoning.  Age limits, restrictions on people under domestic violence orders, all unconstitutional.

Bruen is one of the most illogical, irrational, indefensible opinions I've ever read.  And it's even more hysterical that it says "we're not doing X" and then in the next breath, "therefore, we're doing X."  We have the utopia the gun nuts wanted.  It's here, in all of its blood-soaked glory.

Be that as it may, there is nothing that prevents Democrats from using the language in Heller to make a point. People need to be told that over and over.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....I have zero criticism of how the LEOs here conducted themselves.  It was actually pretty damn textbook -- you skip over everything else, with a single-minded focus on finding and neutralizing the shooter.

I'm sure every cop who was in Uvalde who watched this video is utterly confused -- "wait, that's a THING?  That you can DO?"

Uvalde was textbook of what not to do. 

The only good thing that came from Uvalde was a heightened emphasis on training these scenarios with multiple agencies - since it would never be as smooth as rolling up with a handful of people you’re familiar with. 

Since Uvalde, I’ve trained these twice on a large scale at a large school that involved my department, the ISD department, the fire department, and a couple of near surrounding cities. 

Training that makes too much common sense for governments to actually put on until it can find no other excuses. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Constant said:

The only good thing that came from Uvalde was a heightened emphasis on training these scenarios with multiple agencies - since it would never be as smooth as rolling up with a handful of people you’re familiar with. 

Since Uvalde, I’ve trained these twice on a large scale at a large school that involved my department, the ISD department, the fire department, and a couple of near surrounding cities. 

Training that makes too much common sense for governments to actually put on until it can find no other excuses. 

I get what you're saying, and I applaud your vigilance and proactive training.  There were enough officers there that knew one another, had completed inter-agency training, their own active shooter capabilities, and just sheer manpower/firepower.  The breakdown was nobody wanted to engage an arsenal purchased by a fucking child with more zits than ball hairs.  That, and completely inept leadership.  I cannot imagine seeing hundreds of people a week/month and knowing we all share the same shame.  Closest I could imagine would be going to a weekly AA meeting with 100 other folks and talking about that time we all passed out and let a bus full of kids drive off a bridge.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I get what you're saying, and I applaud your vigilance and proactive training.  There were enough officers there that knew one another, had completed inter-agency training, their own active shooter capabilities, and just sheer manpower/firepower.  The breakdown was nobody wanted to engage an arsenal purchased by a fucking child with more zits than ball hairs.  That, and completely inept leadership.  I cannot imagine seeing hundreds of people a week/month and knowing we all share the same shame.  Closest I could imagine would be going to a weekly AA meeting with 100 other folks and talking about that time we all passed out and let a bus full of kids drive off a bridge.

There is not enough time in the day to list all the failures there. I’m just saying something good did come out of it all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Constant said:

What are you talking about? I heard it coulda been worse!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

I don't know that I'd put it as "something good did come out of it all", but I see your point.  

We've let an awful lot of children get shot up beyond physical recognition in order to get some tactical ops training.  

This is not directed at you, but I'd be perfectly willing to quit my job and learn coding to design some simulation games where we could get something good in terms of training instead of real-life events.  God bless these Nashville officers.  They should have a school named after them some day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

I wonder why none of this abject violence is used to target people in positions of greater power like politicians and such like the old days. It's just easier to target the powerless?

I thought this question deserved an answer: it's because the politicians have taken the target off themselves and put it squarely on you and me. They have effectively taken the motto "the government is the enemy" and made it "Democrats are the enemy" or "Liberals are the enemy" or "Trans people are the enemy." The very people the politicians used to worry about don't see them as a threat anymore. That focus has been shifted. They have effectively created their own army.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

here's your republican talking point

FsTtOhJWAAAwJ-h?format=jpg&name=medium

Jesus H. Fucking Christ - what could possibly go wrong?

Why can't anyone ever target Rupert and his fucking merry band of agitators? 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, Constant said:

I suspect the guy who took charge in Nashville got his training in the military. Just a guess, but that looked like the work of a disciplined and determined soldier.

• Hook 'Em 2

And there it is. Acknowledging that the majority of the country wants meaningful gun reforms (100% correct), but I'm just never going to talk about it. Ever. Fuck you, you don't pay my campaign bills.

The GOP, ladies and gentleman.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

Premature = we are going to kick the can down the road, spin up some thoughts and some prayers until society sees something else shiny and we can stop talking about this for a few weeks (days?) until the next mass shooting event. Fucking cowards. Why is doing the right thing so hard?

Exactly. Which is one of the “solutions” I see proposed by the right. It’s absurd. That isn’t a solution. Like dressing an amputation with a fucking band-aid.
"Hardening schools" is a $3Billion/year industry. We've moved past solutions and now into monetizing living with it. It's here to stay.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I suspect the guy who took charge in Nashville got his training in the military. Just a guess, but that looked like the work of a disciplined and determined soldier.

Yep.  There's a big difference between the toy soldiers (cops who like to pretend they're "in the shit," "it's a war, us against them!") and cops who have actual military combat experience.  The veterans are often cooler under pressure (repetitive training and experience matters) and are often LESS likely to unnecessarily pull/use their weapon.  Again, these are generalities.  But the guy who led that assault team handled himself really fucking well.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I thought this question deserved an answer: it's because the politicians have taken the target off themselves and put it squarely on you and me. They have effectively taken the motto "the government is the enemy" and made it "Democrats are the enemy" or "Liberals are the enemy" or "Trans people are the enemy." The very people the politicians used to worry about don't see them as a threat anymore. That focus has been shifted. They have effectively created their own army.

Remember this, it's very important.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Mark me in the 93%.

Never owned a gun. I have no intentions on owning one in the future. I don’t need one. Even with the ways and places I spend my time. Most gun owners seem scared of their own shadows.

Hell, I bet most “hunters” are really just shooters. Shooting a deer at a feeder ain’t hunting.

America apparently has a major tiny dick and tiny brain problem.

I’m not comfortable around guns. I bought an Sig and won a Glock and ended up giving them away. I’m not even particularly comfortable with a shotgun when I duck hunt, which I don’t like because it’s early and cold but do it annually. I’m nearly 45 now and I know myself well enough to know what my limitations ought to be. I effectively limit myself from owning guns. Part of that is my kids / liability, and part is just knowing myself.

I have little problem with most other gun owners.  This seems like such an easy fix. Too easy. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m not comfortable around guns. I bought an Sig and won a Glock and ended up giving them away. I’m not even particularly comfortable with a shotgun when I duck hunt, which I don’t like because it’s early and cold but do it annually. I’m nearly 45 now and I know myself well enough to know what my limitations ought to be. I effectively limit myself from owning guns. Part of that is my kids / liability, and part is just knowing myself.

I have little problem with most other gun owners.  This seems like such an easy fix. Too easy. 

It is an easy fix.  It really is.  I think you are a legit poster and the people here telling you to vote are trying to make you understand THAT IS HOW YOU FIX IT.

Just now, Bullneck said:

Did that post go over your head?  Or are you a side door true believer?

(Or were you kidding, and I should withdraw the neg?).

No idea what the side door means, just tired of the "I have no idea whats going on but heres my take" crowd

2 hours ago, Constant said:

I was speaking more to the big picture. Searching buildings like this one is a complicated fucking nightmare and these guys did an excellent job. Instantly formed an assault team and began navigating quickly and communicating clearly to one another. They heard the shots and instantly started skipping the search and moving straight to where the sound took them. And once there they did not hesitate and they neutralized the threat. 

You have every right to judge all the minutiae you please, but i’ll refrain. 

Not to mention that these people had just stepped over a 9 year old with their brains exploded onto the floor and her pink jacket 4 minutes prior, so if that earns an extra trigger squeeze or two, cest la vie. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m the only male in my family that doesn’t own multiple guns and at least hunt a few times a year. I mostly never got into it because I preferred spending my Fall Saturday’s going to and watching football games. My dad took me duck hunting when I was 8. We got up at 2am and it was cold as fuck sitting in some weeds. The only part I liked was breakfast afterwards. I’ll inherit some guns in the not so distant future (some are valuable antiques) and will sell them as quickly as possible. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Not to mention that these people had just stepped over a 9 year old with their brains exploded onto the floor and her pink jacket

I'm sorry, sir, the correct term is "Freedom Sacrifice."  They had to step over a "Freedom Sacrifice."  We should honor her, as we do all blood sacrifices to our God, JehovahAR-15.  In the name of the upper, the lower, and the suppressor, Amen.

• Rage+1 2

35 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Why do you do it annually if you seem to dislike the main aspects of it? 

33 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It is an easy fix.  It really is.  I think you are a legit poster and the people here telling you to vote are trying to make you understand THAT IS HOW YOU FIX IT.

This ought to be a prominently featured stance for every candidate. I suspect members of each party do not put this on their platforms.  For some reason they hide on this particular item. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

This ought to be a prominently featured stance for every candidate. I suspect members of each party do not put this on their platforms.  For some reason they hide on this particular item. 

Dems that run on it (look at Beto) get shouted down by Rs and the 2A psychos.  Booker, I think, was pretty vocal about it in 2016 also.  But because we have such a gun fetish in this country, in a general election, it's a nonstarter.  It's so fucked up.  BUT this is something where I think it can really start at the local level.  I don't have kids and am not going to, but this seems like such a no brainer for parents to take to their local elected officials.

Then again, Uvalde went for Abbott overwhelmingly after their kids got fucking slaughtered.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Smax said:

No idea what the side door means, just tired of the "I have no idea whats going on but heres my take" crowd

The side door thing is a right wing blame dodge.  It's not the guns, it's the side doors.  Side doors cause school shootings

• Like 1