Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

What’s the murder rate? 

lol you really thought this was a slam dunk

Murder RATE? You asked a question you don’t want to know the answer to.

_______

From 2016 to 2020, the two U.S. counties to experience the most gun homicides per capita were rural:* (see Figure 1)
Phillips County, Arkansas: 55.45 age-adjusted homicides per 100,000 people
Lowndes County, Alabama: 48.36 age-adjusted homicides per 100,000 people**
From 2016 to 2020, 13 of the 20 U.S. counties with the most gun homicides per capita were rural: (see Figure 1)
80 percent of these 20 counties are in states that received an “F” grade for their weak gun laws, according to Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s 2021 annual state scorecard rankings.
In 2020, the total gun death rate for rural communities—when age-adjusted per 100,000 people—was 40 percent higher than it was for large metropolitan areas.

Adding to this:

States with the highest gun deaths per capita (25/100k or more): MS, LA, NM, AL, WY, AK, MT

States with the lowest (10/100k or less): MA, HI, NJ, NY, RI, CT, NH, CA

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

“Gun deaths”.  I couldn’t give a single less fuck about suicide by gun. Negative fucks, really.  Maybe you missed post 3693?

Really? You don’t think that gun-owning parents who have teens going through stages of angst should take responsibility and lock their guns away and hide the key?
Because 1) that prevents youth suicides, and 2) I sure as fuck did it. But, glad to know you don’t care about kids getting dad’s gun and ending it all. After all…they aren’t YOUR kids, and as we’ve established, we could be talking about all the pain, loss, and suffering in the world, and so long as it isn’t YOUR kids, you don’t care. Hell, you NEGATIVE care.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Really? You don’t think that gun-owning parents who have teens going through stages of angst should take responsibility and lock their guns away and hide the key?
Because 1) that prevents youth suicides, and 2) I sure as fuck did it. But, glad to know you don’t care about kids getting dad’s gun and ending it all. After all…they aren’t YOUR kids, and as we’ve established, we could be talking about all the pain, loss, and suffering in the world, and so long as it isn’t YOUR kids, you don’t care. Hell, you NEGATIVE care.

I very much believe in safe gun storage.  I don’t believe suicides should be used to cloud the statistics.  Like 19 yo “children” that also happen to make up the vast majority of “leading cause of death of children” stats.  Fabricated bullshit.  

• Fuck You 10

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

@fattyflattie I lost one of my best friends to suicide. He had a 2 newborn baby, was suffering from depression, lack of sleep and drinking too much. He got in an argument with his wife, went upstairs and blew his brains out.

I guess I say that to say I think you’re probably not a very good person.

I’m sorry. I’ve known 5.  2 gun, 3 hanging.  One was a cop that mirrors your friends story (but cops are all evil so fuck him he’s probably in hell anyways right?)  You place part of the blame on the gun, I don’t.  
Suicide stats are cheapened to try and advance an agenda. Same as “children” drying in droves.  

• Fuck You 7

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You’re the new Johnny Sack.

Lol. Other than our recreational hobbies, I don’t have much in common with Sack. We probably vote similarly, but I don’t pay rats to fuck.  But I understand your insult. Maybe someday someone will try and convince half the country to end fly fishing, your passion, and you’ll have something to stand against. 

• Fuck You 2

America, where my hobbies supersede our societal health. A community of selfish pricks yelling that the real problem is the division in our country....generated from that selfishness. And fatty is the Grand Poobah of it all. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol. Other than our recreational hobbies, I don’t have much in common with Sack. We probably vote similarly, but I don’t pay rats to fuck.  But I understand your insult. Maybe someday someone will try and convince half the country to end fly fishing, your passion, and you’ll have something to stand against. 

I’m actually glad that you are here and sharing your beliefs. It’s a window into what I believe is essentially a pyschopathic mind.

We all need to understand that there are millions of people with these beliefs around us. They’re our neighbors, colleagues, parents on our kids’ sports teams.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

America, where my hobbies supersede our societal health. A comminuty of selfish pricks yelling that the real problem is the division in our country....generated from that selfishness. And fatty is the Grand Poobah of it all. 

Now do alcohol and recreational drugs. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m sorry. I’ve known 5.  2 gun, 3 hanging.  One was a cop that mirrors your friends story (but cops are all evil so fuck him he’s probably in hell anyways right?)  You place part of the blame on the gun, I don’t.  
Suicide stats are cheapened to try and advance an agenda. Same as “children” drying in droves.  

so y'all like cops again this week?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Do you understand the difference between consensual "crimes" and non-consensual crimes?

Are suicides non-consensual crimes?  Because that’s what we were discussing. Also, consensual burgularly and theft comes with junkies?  Come on. 

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Easy. They're regulated to mitigate societal impact. Guns are far less regulated. 

Are they? You’re one of the ones that believes firearms are not regulated, I guess.  Guess the F in ATF there for nothing. 

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i mean as far as i know neither Tito's nor weed are specifically designed with the sole purpose of blowing someone's face off, but otherwise sure, they're the same. 

200 (3).gif

Guess that makes the MADD mothers feel better this Mother’s Day.  It wasn’t Tito’s intention for the guy that got loaded and plowed into their kid and spread them across the highway, so all good.  

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Are suicides non-consensual crimes?  Because that’s what we were discussing. Also, consensual burgularly and theft comes with junkies?  Come on. 

Are they? You’re one of the ones that believes firearms are not regulated, I guess.  Guess the F in ATF there for nothing. 

Guess that makes the MADD mothers feel better this Mother’s Day.  It wasn’t Tito’s intention for the guy that got loaded and plowed into their kid and spread them across the highway, so all good.  

Edited to add 

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/features/excessive-alcohol-deaths.html

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm

48k vs 140k. But we all enjoy alcohol, so no problem with it. I only want things that I personally don’t care about banned. The American way. Get fucked.  

On 5/13/2023 at 8:50 AM, Gap03 said:

We're well on our way to going back to the days of the Wild West (or worse actually), as the GQP arm of the federal judiciary is hellbent on making sure that we can't have any regulation of guns.  

We all knew this was coming when Thomas concocted his bullshit "not consistent with our Nation’s history and tradition" reasoning, but here we fucking go.  What could possibly go wrong?

And this is why nothing will change as far as access to firearms. I guess we can try for smaller clips, magazines, whatever the fuck you want to call them. But we're pretty much done as far as legislative options. So just get used the new normal in our gun obsessed country. Hope your kids make it home from school or your wife from the mall, or yourself from your place of work. Roll the dice every day like you would in worrying about if an 18 wheeler is going to t-bone you that day. I'm sure the odds are the same. 

26 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Wow, you're so angry about the thought of having to behave responsibly.  Do you really have a problem with MADD?  Do you understand why there is such a thing?

You are who I thought you are.

• Hook 'Em 1

Let’s make Texas great again:

https://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~rcollins/scholarship/guns.html

Old West cattlemen themselves also saw the need for gun control. By 1882, a Texas cattle raising association had banned six-shooters from the cowboy's belt. "In almost every section of the West murders are on the increase, and cowmen are too often the principals in the encounters," concurred a dispatch from the Texas Live Stock Journal dated June 5, 1884. "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey. Cattlemen should unite in aiding the enforcement of the law against carrying of deadly weapons."

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Wow, you're so angry about the thought of having to behave responsibly.  Do you really have a problem with MADD?  Do you understand why there is such a thing?

You are who I thought you are.

We already have laws for firearms that require you to behave responsibly. All of them in fact.  Similar to the fucksticks that get behind the wheel drunk/high and kill 10’s of thousands a year, it’s the breaking the law and acting irresponsibly part that’s the struggle.   How do you regulate that?  One seems to be the biggest issue in the country at 33% of the destruction.  Why is that?   Hypocrisy would be my guess. 

37 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Roll the dice every day like you would in worrying about if an 18 wheeler is going to t-bone you that day. I'm sure the odds are the same. 

I think you mean like you partake in alcohol, or are affected by someone that does. It’s only responsible for 300% the deaths annually compared to firearms. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

We already have laws for firearms that require you to behave responsibly. All of them in fact.  Similar to the fucksticks that get behind the wheel drunk/high and kill 10’s of thousands a year, it’s the breaking the law and acting irresponsibly part that’s the struggle.   How do you regulate that?  One seems to be the biggest issue in the country at 33% of the destruction.  Why is that?   Hypocrisy would be my guess. 

Nope. Where we struggle is with the overwhelming number of guns in a country that refuses to place reasonable restrictions on their role in a relatively free society.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I think you mean like you partake in alcohol, or are affected by someone that does. It’s only responsible for 300% the deaths annually compared to firearms. 

Well fatty, at least with alcohol we've all figured out that maybe letting people under 21 have it isn't a great idea. Unlike fucking firearms that you can't even impose that limit on. And alcohol rarely ends in a mass killing event outside of really rare circumstances. The aim of alcohol isn't so you get behind the wheel of a car and kill someone. The aim of a firearm is exactly to kill someone. 

Also, chances are greatly increased that I and people I love won't be killed by alcohol if we don't go out past a certain hour. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Let’s make Texas great again:

https://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~rcollins/scholarship/guns.html

Old West cattlemen themselves also saw the need for gun control. By 1882, a Texas cattle raising association had banned six-shooters from the cowboy's belt. "In almost every section of the West murders are on the increase, and cowmen are too often the principals in the encounters," concurred a dispatch from the Texas Live Stock Journal dated June 5, 1884. "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey. Cattlemen should unite in aiding the enforcement of the law against carrying of deadly weapons."

I caught part of an interview the other week on npr and damn if I can't remember the person being interviewed but he is a historian/author who focuses on the settling of the west. He said the same thing, that image of the west being all gun fights and people walking around town carrying is mostly a myth. Not that it didn't happen on occasion but he went on to say that hollywood is mostly responsible for that image. The majority of towns and mining camps had a no gun policy/law, the gun fight in the OK Corral was The Earps enforcing a no carry law in Tombstone. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Unlike fucking firearms that you can't even impose that limit on.

Can you tell me how old I need to be to purchase any random 9mm pistol.  Use your imagination on make and model. 

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The aim of a firearm is exactly to kill someone. 

Patently false. I guess I’ll let the fine folks over at Perrazi know that every single arm they’ve ever built has been misused and failed its “purpose”.  If that’s your premise, then we will disagree. Alcohol has no intent except to kill. Even cooking and rubbing alcohol. That’s it’s only intent because a minuscule percentage of it eventually does.  400m firearms circulating and 40k die annually, including suicide.   Let’s see, some napkin math shows that’s .0001%. Have to say if that’s a firearms only purpose, they are outstandingly fucking terrible at it. 

10 minutes ago, Smax said:

I caught part of an interview the other week on npr and damn if I can't remember the person being interviewed but he is a historian/author who focuses on the settling of the west. He said the same thing, that image of the west being all gun fights and people walking around town carrying is mostly a myth. Not that it didn't happen on occasion but he went on to say that hollywood is mostly responsible for that image. The majority of towns and mining camps had a no gun policy/law, the gun fight in the OK Corral was The Earps enforcing a no carry law in Tombstone. 

Are you saying that the "no carry" law meant there weren't gunfights? 

Hmm.  Imagine that. 

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Can you tell me how old I need to be to purchase any random 9mm pistol.  Use your imagination on make and model. 

Patently false. I guess I’ll let the fine folks over at Perrazi know that every single arm they’ve ever built has been misused and failed its “purpose”.  If that’s your premise, then we will disagree. Alcohol has no intent except to kill. Even cooking and rubbing alcohol. That’s it’s only intent because a minuscule percentage of it eventually does.  400m firearms circulating and 40k die annually, including suicide.   Let’s see, some napkin math shows that’s .0001%. Have to say if that’s a firearms only purpose, they are outstandingly fucking terrible at it. 

Pistols and rifles are treated differently in the laws applied to them.

Also, no amount of "math" on your part will stem the relentless epidemic of shootings.  I can only assume you're here on Mother's Day arguing because your bored.  You'll never convince us we're wrong because we're right.  You are wrong.  Just google "Nothing we can do says the only country . . . "

“How can we possibly fix this?”

Fortunately every other developed nation has cracked the code so we don’t have to scratch our heads trying to figure out how to solve it.

We just have to wait until the fatties die out and the generations that grew up doing active shooter drills in school are in charge.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Also, no amount of "math" on your part will stem the relentless epidemic of shootings.  I can only assume you're here on Mother's Day arguing because your bored.  You'll never convince us we're wrong because we're right.  You are wrong.  Just google "Nothing we can do says the only country . . . "

He's here on Mother's Day because his own family sees what a massive piece of shit he is and would rather him be alone sticking his dick in the barrel of a gun rather than spend time with them.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Walser said:

@fattyflattie You are wrong and a bad person. I do not want you banned because I want everyone to know.

Why would I be banned?  I’ve literally had the same opinions for a decade on the last several iterations of this board. Oh know, someone will disagree with me a know. Good gosh, I should have thought of that I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

No way!!1!!1!   Let Mdmost know.  Because “at least with alcohol we've all figured out that maybe letting people under 21 have it isn't a great idea. Unlike fucking firearms that you can't even impose that limit on.”

People routinely get shit on here for arguing strongly without even knowing the basic fucking laws that have been in place for 50 years.  Yet with guns, my feelz is plenty to come diarrhea up the board and feel valid. The only fucking topic where hypocrisy yet again prevails without question.  

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Cool then we're agreed. Let's bump that age up to 21 for rifles and everything else that doesn't fall under existing laws. That's a start. And we can have judges not strike down these laws because we're all in agreement that morons under the age of 21 who can't legally have alcohol shouldn't legally have any weapons like this. 

I mean, a gun wasn't made just so people could jerk off to how great it feels to shoot a paper target. The 2nd amendment that you chucklefucks cling to wasn't put there because the founding fathers loved to go to the gun range and target practice. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Why would I be banned?  I’ve literally had the same opinions for a decade on the last several iterations of this board. Oh know, someone will disagree with me a know. Good gosh, I should have thought of that I suppose. 

No way!!1!!1!   Let Mdmost know.  Because “at least with alcohol we've all figured out that maybe letting people under 21 have it isn't a great idea. Unlike fucking firearms that you can't even impose that limit on.”

People routinely get shit on here for arguing strongly without even knowing the basic fucking laws that have been in place for 50 years.  Yet with guns, my feelz is plenty to come diarrhea up the board and feel valid. The only fucking topic where hypocrisy yet again prevails without question.  

You have are now supposing correctly.

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We just have to wait until the fatties die out and the generations that grew up doing active shooter drills in school are in charge.

Maybe, maybe not. The high school I graduated from has added a competition shooting team in the last 10 years.  

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This is fuck-you conservatism.  It's like compassionate conservatism but with more honesty.  It is quite refreshing.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Cool then we're agreed. Let's bump that age up to 21 for rifles and everything else that doesn't fall under existing laws. That's a start. And we can have judges not strike down these laws because we're all in agreement that morons under the age of 21 who can't legally have alcohol shouldn't legally have any weapons like this. 

If you’re good with an 18 yo being draft eligible, but unable to buy a .410 or .22, that’s for you to justify to yourself.   But please stop with the “no regulation”   If you’d like, I can point to how we regulate hearing protection   

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

This is fuck-you conservatism.  It's like compassionate conservatism but with more honesty.  It is quite refreshing.  

I took the jersey guys article to heart.  

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

If you’re good with an 18 yo being draft eligible, but unable to buy a .410 or .22, that’s for you to justify to yourself.   But please stop with the “no regulation”   If you’d like, I can point to how we regulate hearing protection   

This is not going to end well for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I took the jersey guys article to heart.  

Well I think the draft is an idea that's outlived its usefulness so sure. I'm fine with that going away and under 21 having no access to firearms.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Maybe, maybe not. The high school I graduated from has added a competition shooting team in the last 10 years.  

Yes there is also a wave of public policy aimed at getting more guns into a society drowning in gun violence.

We are a sick nation. It may be fatal, we shall see.

Just now, mdmost said:

Well I think the draft is an idea that's outlived its usefulness so sure. I'm fine with that going away and under 21 having no access to firearms.

Cool. I don’t fully agree, but I can mostly understand your argument.   I would place the age at 20.  0-19 is apparently a “child” when discussing guns for “reasons”. That would mean 20 should be considered an adult?  

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Cool. I don’t fully agree, but I can mostly understand your argument.   I would place the age at 20.  0-19 is apparently a “child” when discussing guns for “reasons”. That would mean 20 should be considered an adult?  

Would change the phrase to say “gun violence is the leading cause of deaths amongst people aged 19 and under” somehow make that less damning to you?

Like, rephrasing it would make it seem like we don’t have a huge fucking problem on our hands here?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Would change the phrase to say “gun violence is the leading cause of deaths amongst people aged 19 and under” somehow make that less damning to you?

Like, rephrasing it would make it seem like we don’t have a huge fucking problem on our hands here?

Look, I can appreciate the attempt to swindle the vote with their revised stats.  Where’s an aggy to tell us what year they really started trying, and that the series is more 50/50 than you’d believe?   But I don’t want to hear anymore about the right using irrational fear and sketchy picked stats to get what they want out of the populace.  

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Your passion is guns? Passion?

How fucking sick is that

• Hook 'Em 2