Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Oh, I'm not disagreeing at all.

I'm just saying that they're almost all pussies without their guns.  There's a fascist problem in many places in Europe right now, too, and they're not getting shot up like 1.5 times per day.

As I waited at a signal light along a car in the left turn lane, a guy in a truck pulled up very close behind the car and laid on his horn until  the car took off. The aggressive behavior of the guy in the truck made it quite clear that he was packing.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

A long way to go, but at least it's a small step in the right direction:

I was there today but just outside the room (not enough space) when it was voted out of committee. Huge cheer. Uvalde families were there and hugging each other and crying. It shouldn't have to be this hard.

Big props to Moms Demand Action. They were out in force today and loud. Created a tunnel that reps had to walk though to get to the House floor. Inside, you could hear them chanting outside the doors.

I could see the bill maybe passing the house. No way it passes the Senate. No way Abbott signs it. But there will at least be a record of how everyone voted.

28 minutes ago, Satchel said:

As I waited at a signal light along a car in the left turn lane, a guy in a truck pulled up very close behind the car and laid on his horn until  the car took off. The aggressive behavior of the guy in the truck made it quite clear that he was packing.

Was his light green? I don’t own a gun but I’ll use my horn pretty aggressively when someone is sitting motionless at a green light or otherwise impeding the progress of everyone behind them. 

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Was his light green? I don’t own a gun but I’ll use my horn pretty aggressively when someone is sitting motionless at a green light or otherwise impeding the progress of everyone behind them. 

A lil beep is all you need though

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I give a courtesy beep.  If they don’t get off their phone immediately they get the full-on 3 second honk.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, safe sex said:

A lil beep is all you need though

I’ll start with a couple short toots. If they don’t move, I’ll steadily increase the duration and frequency until it’s a continuous blare. That doesn’t happen often but it has happened. I’ll be more aggressive if I’m coming up behind them from a distance and see they’ve been sitting there at the green light the whole time when they should’ve been long gone by the time I get there. It’s really aggravating if I’m forced to stop because some dipshit is staring at their phone and not paying attention. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There is rarely a single explanation for complex phenomena (one of the lessons of chaos/complexity theory). 

But Is one of the "smoking guns "literally right before our eyes? In our hands?

Since around 2005, the proliferation of smart phones and social media parallels the proliferation of guns and assault weapons. Of course, correlation is not causation. But, it is an interesting pattern. 2004 also marks the end of the assault weapon ban, just as Facebook and social media were taking off. A perfect storm?

It is obvious that social media massively ramps up pre-existing hate, anger, sexism, racism, prejudice, bigotry, idiocy, fanaticism, paranoia, tribalism, religious fervor, nationalism, etc. And social media are where many people look to find an identity with a tribe, and someone to blame for their problems. And with the phones, tablets, and laptops, it's all right in our faces, coming right at us, tribe v. tribe, etc. 24/7/365. 

Perhaps the medium is the message, in more ways than one? 

Chart1.jpg

Chart2.jpg

chart3.jpg

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Good read written by a local writer (SA) who is from my hometown of Laredo.
https://time.com/6277931/texas-mall-shooting-children-fears/

Spoiler

When my daughter was a newborn, I read an essay about a toddler who died after a loose brick fell from a building onto her head. Devastatingly random, impossible to parse for meaning. I added loose brick to the litany of ways my baby could die.

The list was ever-expanding. When I sat with her in the bathtub at night as she fed from my breast, I imagined falling asleep, both of us sliding down into the warmth. When I swaddled her and lay her on her back in her bassinet, I imagined her hummingbird heart stopping between one breath and the next. When my husband or I strapped her into the car seat, I imagined being T-boned at an intersection. Struck by a drunk driver. Rammed by an 18-wheeler on the highway. I imagined the car seat sailing beyond the reach of my crushed fingers.

Andrew Lester, Charged in the Shooting of 16-year-old Ralph Yarl, Pleads Not Guilty

Posted 19 Days Ago

Andrew Lester, Charged in the Shooting of 16-year-old Ralph Yarl, Pleads Not Guilty

I know now that these are called intrusive thoughts, and that I was probably suffering from undiagnosed postpartum anxiety. I believe this because I didn’t experience it with my second child, though he was born in the first year of the pandemic and heightened anxiety was arguably more justified. At the time, though, I thought this terror—tucked behind euphoric new love and relentless daily care—was simply what it meant to be a mother, driven by instinct and desire to protect vulnerable offspring from a world where a loose brick, unthinking, unfeeling, could simply fall.

Read More: Ralph Yarl, Kaylin Gillis, and the Consequences of American Fearmongering

And in a way, I was right. To love a child, then entrust them to the world, bit by bit—letting them climb a park structure alone, go to school, an overnight trip—is bittersweet terror, always. Now, more than ever.

In 2020, guns became the leading cause of death for children and teens in the U.S.

Notifications roll across my phone: teens and young adults injured or killed for ringing the wrong doorbell, pulling up at the wrong house, entering the wrong car, and standing in the bullpen during a baseball game. Teens killed or injured in mass shootings at parks and parties celebrating prom and Sweet 16. Five members of a family, including a 9-year-old boy, massacred in their own home by a neighbor whom they asked to stop shooting in his yard because their newborn was trying to sleep. Five calls to the police, and no help came. Then the neighbor reloaded. He ran toward their house, where the husband told his wife to get inside. “He won’t fire at me, I’m a woman,” she said. She was the first to die. Two other women were found lying dead on top of her baby and 2-year-old they were protecting. The children, alive, covered in the women’s blood.

All of this, within the last month.

As I was writing this essay over the weekend, I wondered what would surpass this horror in our collective memory. What would make us forget the young boy picking up his twin brothers, the cheerleader, the 9-year-old, the weight and heat and blood of three women whose final actions were to put their bodies between a bullet and the children they loved?

Read More: A New Guns Ruling Could Make Families Less Safe

I was shopping for a child’s birthday gift at Target when my husband texted: his brother had called from Australia, where my husband is from, to ask if we were OK. My husband said yes; why? My brother-in-law had heard, somehow before we did, of the massacre at Allen Premium Outlets, which left nine dead, including the shooter, and wounded seven more, including children as young as 5—the same age as our daughter. My brother-in-law remembered an outlet mall we’d taken him to on a visit once. He couldn’t remember the name of the small town. It could have been there, he thought. It could have been us.

It’s not the first time our Australian family has called, nearly frantic, worried one or all of us had been shot to death. They called last month when they heard a Texas family had been executed by their neighbor. They called last year when they heard a gunman killed 19 children and 2 teachers at an elementary school near San Antonio, where we live. This was Robb Elementary in Uvalde, where three friends of a friend lost their 9-year-old daughters. How?they ask. How can this keep happening? How can we keep letting it?

In 2021, an estimated 1.6 million firearms were sold in Texas, more than anywhere else in the nation. Gun laws keep loosening and gun deaths keep rising. According to the CDC, Texas’s gun death rate per capita was 15.6 per 100,000 residents in 2021, compared to 10.7 in 2014. More Texans were killed by guns that year than in car accidents. And we’re not even close to the deadliest state in the nation for gun deaths—that’s Mississippi, at 33.9 per 100,000. (Massachusetts is the lowest at 3.4.) According to the Pew Research Center, 48,830 people died of gun violence in the U.S. in 2021, more than any other year on record. So far this year, the Gun Violence Archive reports, 14,711 people have died of gun violence in the U.S., with 202 mass shootings and counting.

An incomplete list of where I’ve imagined my children being shot to death:

Their classrooms, bodies splayed on foam mats beneath laminated handprint ducklings

Target, where I always remind myself of entrances and exits, the aisle with laundry hampers where I could hide them

A restaurant, where I imagine that we might be able to tip a table over, use it as a shield, but so many tables are fixed in place, and if wood could protect us, people wouldn’t get shot through doors

A movie theater, the kind my parents took us to every week as a kids, one of our most beloved family outings but where now I think: sitting ducks

Parades, which we don’t go to anyway, so maybe I can cross this one off the list, for now

Later: prom, parties, bars, college, office buildings, banks, hospitals, convenience stores, any place people gather in the course of their beautiful, ordinary lives

Are these intrusive thoughts? Or are they simply thoughts, fearful but reasonable, considering we live in America?

The night of the Allen Premium Outlets shooting, I comb Twitter for updates. Videos are circulating. One, from the dashcam of a car leaving the parking lot, shows the shooter emerging from a silver sedan and opening fire. A jacked-up pickup peels out of its parking space, veering away. The comments are on fire with people saying the driver should have turned toward the shooter, mowed him down. Everyone thinks they’d be a hero in this situation.

Another video, graphic. I know what I’m about to see, but I watch anyway. I don’t know why. To bear witness, maybe. That feels important. When my husband walks into the bedroom, I tell him I watched the video. “Oh, baby,” he says. “Oh, no. Everyone on Reddit is saying to avoid Twitter. I was going to tell you—there’s a kid—did you see the kid?” I nod and he holds me as I sob.

People pray at a memorial next to the Allen Premium Outlets in Allen, Texas, on May 7, 2023.

Joe Raedle—Getty Images

The next morning, I take our kids to a birthday party. A massive indoor playground, their faces wild with joy. They spin on foam teacups, jump on trampolines, scramble through netted tunnels, fly down a slide. I laugh and wave, help my toddler when he needs it, give him space when he doesn’t.

There is always a tension between what we know about the world and what our kids know. My kids don’t know our worry—no, our terror. They know school and birthday parties and picking flowers and “Can I get a toy?” They don’t know about guns, not really. They don’t know people kill each other. They don’t know adults kill children. My daughter doesn’t know that in three years, when she’s in third grade, a proposed Texas bill would require her to learn to use bleeding control stations to stop a bleed during school shootings. (Currently, state law only—“only”—requires seventh graders and above to know how to use these stations.)

Read More: ‘We Won’t Let These Babies Be Forgotten.’ Close-Knit Uvalde Community Grieves After Elementary School Shooting

At the party, our children play and we mothers talk. One tells us about the new bulletproof glass installed at her child’s school. Another says her kids have never been to a mall. Most of us grew up in houses with guns. Most of our husbands own guns. We don’t feel safe. None of us feel safe. None of us feel free. We make ourselves numb, stop looking at the news, draw our lines in the sand and make our concessions to normalcy, and we pretend that every step into a public space in America isn’t a leap of faith.

After the party, once the kids are full of cake and ice cream and my toddler is down for his nap, I look for updates on the Allen shooting. There’s an interview with a witness who arrived at the victims before the first responders. He describes seeing a girl—not a woman, a girl—crouched down, covering her head in the bushes. He felt for a pulse, turned her around, and “she had no face.” He describes finding a child beneath the body of his dead mother, whose blood soaked him head to toe. I can’t believe this is the second time in nine days I’m reading this description.

Sometimes I wonder what wars we wouldn’twage if another country were murdering nearly 50,000 Americans a year. But the bloodshed comes from within our borders, so we let it. We are a snake eating its own tail. We unlock our jaw and open wide.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2

Good read written by a local writer (SA) who is from my hometown of Laredo.
https://time.com/6277931/texas-mall-shooting-children-fears/
Spoiler

When my daughter was a newborn, I read an essay about a toddler who died after a loose brick fell from a building onto her head. Devastatingly random, impossible to parse for meaning. I added loose brick to the litany of ways my baby could die.
The list was ever-expanding. When I sat with her in the bathtub at night as she fed from my breast, I imagined falling asleep, both of us sliding down into the warmth. When I swaddled her and lay her on her back in her bassinet, I imagined her hummingbird heart stopping between one breath and the next. When my husband or I strapped her into the car seat, I imagined being T-boned at an intersection. Struck by a drunk driver. Rammed by an 18-wheeler on the highway. I imagined the car seat sailing beyond the reach of my crushed fingers.
Posted 19 Days Ago
I know now that these are called intrusive thoughts, and that I was probably suffering from undiagnosed postpartum anxiety. I believe this because I didn’t experience it with my second child, though he was born in the first year of the pandemic and heightened anxiety was arguably more justified. At the time, though, I thought this terror—tucked behind euphoric new love and relentless daily care—was simply what it meant to be a mother, driven by instinct and desire to protect vulnerable offspring from a world where a loose brick, unthinking, unfeeling, could simply fall.
Read More: Ralph Yarl, Kaylin Gillis, and the Consequences of American Fearmongering
And in a way, I was right. To love a child, then entrust them to the world, bit by bit—letting them climb a park structure alone, go to school, an overnight trip—is bittersweet terror, always. Now, more than ever.
In 2020, guns became the leading cause of death for children and teens in the U.S.
Notifications roll across my phone: teens and young adults injured or killed for ringing the wrong doorbell, pulling up at the wrong house, entering the wrong car, and standing in the bullpen during a baseball game. Teens killed or injured in mass shootings at parks and parties celebrating prom and Sweet 16. Five members of a family, including a 9-year-old boy, massacred in their own home by a neighbor whom they asked to stop shooting in his yard because their newborn was trying to sleep. Five calls to the police, and no help came. Then the neighbor reloaded. He ran toward their house, where the husband told his wife to get inside. “He won’t fire at me, I’m a woman,” she said. She was the first to die. Two other women were found lying dead on top of her baby and 2-year-old they were protecting. The children, alive, covered in the women’s blood.
All of this, within the last month.
As I was writing this essay over the weekend, I wondered what would surpass this horror in our collective memory. What would make us forget the young boy picking up his twin brothers, the cheerleader, the 9-year-old, the weight and heat and blood of three women whose final actions were to put their bodies between a bullet and the children they loved?
Read More: A New Guns Ruling Could Make Families Less Safe
I was shopping for a child’s birthday gift at Target when my husband texted: his brother had called from Australia, where my husband is from, to ask if we were OK. My husband said yes; why? My brother-in-law had heard, somehow before we did, of the massacre at Allen Premium Outlets, which left nine dead, including the shooter, and wounded seven more, including children as young as 5—the same age as our daughter. My brother-in-law remembered an outlet mall we’d taken him to on a visit once. He couldn’t remember the name of the small town. It could have been there, he thought. It could have been us.
It’s not the first time our Australian family has called, nearly frantic, worried one or all of us had been shot to death. They called last month when they heard a Texas family had been executed by their neighbor. They called last year when they heard a gunman killed 19 children and 2 teachers at an elementary school near San Antonio, where we live. This was Robb Elementary in Uvalde, where three friends of a friend lost their 9-year-old daughters. How?they ask. How can this keep happening? How can we keep letting it?
In 2021, an estimated 1.6 million firearms were sold in Texas, more than anywhere else in the nation. Gun laws keep loosening and gun deaths keep rising. According to the CDC, Texas’s gun death rate per capita was 15.6 per 100,000 residents in 2021, compared to 10.7 in 2014. More Texans were killed by guns that year than in car accidents. And we’re not even close to the deadliest state in the nation for gun deaths—that’s Mississippi, at 33.9 per 100,000. (Massachusetts is the lowest at 3.4.) According to the Pew Research Center, 48,830 people died of gun violence in the U.S. in 2021, more than any other year on record. So far this year, the Gun Violence Archive reports, 14,711 people have died of gun violence in the U.S., with 202 mass shootings and counting.
An incomplete list of where I’ve imagined my children being shot to death:
Their classrooms, bodies splayed on foam mats beneath laminated handprint ducklings
Target, where I always remind myself of entrances and exits, the aisle with laundry hampers where I could hide them
A restaurant, where I imagine that we might be able to tip a table over, use it as a shield, but so many tables are fixed in place, and if wood could protect us, people wouldn’t get shot through doors
A movie theater, the kind my parents took us to every week as a kids, one of our most beloved family outings but where now I think: sitting ducks
Parades, which we don’t go to anyway, so maybe I can cross this one off the list, for now
Later: prom, parties, bars, college, office buildings, banks, hospitals, convenience stores, any place people gather in the course of their beautiful, ordinary lives
Are these intrusive thoughts? Or are they simply thoughts, fearful but reasonable, considering we live in America?
The night of the Allen Premium Outlets shooting, I comb Twitter for updates. Videos are circulating. One, from the dashcam of a car leaving the parking lot, shows the shooter emerging from a silver sedan and opening fire. A jacked-up pickup peels out of its parking space, veering away. The comments are on fire with people saying the driver should have turned toward the shooter, mowed him down. Everyone thinks they’d be a hero in this situation.
Another video, graphic. I know what I’m about to see, but I watch anyway. I don’t know why. To bear witness, maybe. That feels important. When my husband walks into the bedroom, I tell him I watched the video. “Oh, baby,” he says. “Oh, no. Everyone on Reddit is saying to avoid Twitter. I was going to tell you—there’s a kid—did you see the kid?” I nod and he holds me as I sob.
People pray at a memorial next to the Allen Premium Outlets in Allen, Texas, on May 7, 2023.
Joe Raedle—Getty Images
The next morning, I take our kids to a birthday party. A massive indoor playground, their faces wild with joy. They spin on foam teacups, jump on trampolines, scramble through netted tunnels, fly down a slide. I laugh and wave, help my toddler when he needs it, give him space when he doesn’t.
There is always a tension between what we know about the world and what our kids know. My kids don’t know our worry—no, our terror. They know school and birthday parties and picking flowers and “Can I get a toy?” They don’t know about guns, not really. They don’t know people kill each other. They don’t know adults kill children. My daughter doesn’t know that in three years, when she’s in third grade, a proposed Texas bill would require her to learn to use bleeding control stations to stop a bleed during school shootings. (Currently, state law only—“only”—requires seventh graders and above to know how to use these stations.)
Read More: ‘We Won’t Let These Babies Be Forgotten.’ Close-Knit Uvalde Community Grieves After Elementary School Shooting
At the party, our children play and we mothers talk. One tells us about the new bulletproof glass installed at her child’s school. Another says her kids have never been to a mall. Most of us grew up in houses with guns. Most of our husbands own guns. We don’t feel safe. None of us feel safe. None of us feel free. We make ourselves numb, stop looking at the news, draw our lines in the sand and make our concessions to normalcy, and we pretend that every step into a public space in America isn’t a leap of faith.
After the party, once the kids are full of cake and ice cream and my toddler is down for his nap, I look for updates on the Allen shooting. There’s an interview with a witness who arrived at the victims before the first responders. He describes seeing a girl—not a woman, a girl—crouched down, covering her head in the bushes. He felt for a pulse, turned her around, and “she had no face.” He describes finding a child beneath the body of his dead mother, whose blood soaked him head to toe. I can’t believe this is the second time in nine days I’m reading this description.
Sometimes I wonder what wars we wouldn’twage if another country were murdering nearly 50,000 Americans a year. But the bloodshed comes from within our borders, so we let it. We are a snake eating its own tail. We unlock our jaw and open wide.

And….we have leadership that wants MORE OF IT.

Our country is beyond redemption, beyond saving. Any country that accepts the literal slaughter of its children is.
Guns are the leading cause of death for American children.

And we accept and embrace it. We say we don’t. But our policies speak the truth.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I don't think it's public. I seem to recall an effort to disclose votes that was rapidly shot down. Uh no pun intended.

You can watch a replay of the hearing and just watch who votes which way.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2023 at 5:29 PM, DixonHur said:

I think the shooter went to Bryan Adams HS

He did. Graduated in 2008. But the address on the news where his parents live — and supposedly did for awhile — is over near Bishop Lynch.

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

He did. Graduated in 2008. But the address on the news where his parents live — and supposedly did for awhile — is over near Bishop Lynch.

Damn I have to know someone that knew him

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Brisket, this is a simplistic platitude that gets us nowhere. 

Guns don't cause deaths.  I would guess that you can take every gun owned by ever person on this board ---- including a 30-30 that I have that is 124 years old ---- and collectively they have caused ZERO deaths.  I believe you, yourself, own guns.  How many deaths have they caused? If guns cause deaths, how could this be possible? 

What causes death is people + guns.  Take either one of those two things out of the equation and gun deaths go to zero. 

I guess if you really want to be technical its people + guns + bullets/lead shot that causes death, but I'm just going for back-of-the-hand causation.

Sadly, some people can't be trusted with guns. That's just a fact.  I can be. You can be. The whole of Surlyhorns, presumably, can be, but some people can't. We see the evidence daily.  Couple that fact with the fact that those same people now have easy access to extremely efficient/lethal guns, and it becomes a huge societal problem.

The problem isn't the guns. It isn't the people. It's the people with the guns. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

They aren't hiding it.

The fact that this man's most emotional vote ever was on guns --- guns --- says a lot about us, about politics, and about him.

Think about it. His most emotional vote ever wasn't, say, voting some kind of proclamation for a Pearl Harbor survivor/hero or recognizing a firefighter who went way above and beyond the call of duty, heroically saving a bunch of lives, or voting to create some state park near his home district so his children and future generations would have a great place to go forever. Nope. His emotional attachments are to his guns.

I applaud him for doing the right thing, but this should be a no-brainer from the git go. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

What are MAGAts so intent on the Nashville shooter’s supposed manifesto not being released, like it’s some giant conspiracy?

Some fringy MAGA guys I know claims it supposedly goes into detail that the reason he did it was to bring more attention to guns, helping to hasten complete bans. How the fuck they would ever know this (they don’t), your guess is as good as mine.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Some fringy MAGA guys I know claims it supposedly goes into detail that the reason he did it was to bring more attention to guns, helping to hasten complete bans. How the fuck they would ever know this (they don’t), your guess is as good as mine.  

Sounds like a typically over developed victim mindset by the folks armed to the teeth and mainlining hate filled propaganda. They are literally just recycling the alex jones post-massacre rhetoric

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

If any of these lunatics actually had that goal they would walk into right wing evangelical churches and open fire, not at schools and malls.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If any of these lunatics actually had that goal they would walk into right wing evangelical churches and open fire, not at schools and malls.

Yeah I didn’t say it was correct, just telling you what I briefly gleaned from the dumb shit I was texted.  

• Hook 'Em 1

QUOTE The problem isn't the guns. It isn't the people. It's the people with the guns. QUOTE

OK, so then the obvious solution is to just kill all the people and keep the guns.  Looks like we are making progress toward the obvious solution.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Since I'm on jury duty this week I had time to kill this morning. Checked in on the thread over on Texags. Did not disappoint 😳😳😳

I too looked over there and it’s unreal the pea sized brains that group of losers has.  Self proclaimed Christian nationalists, racists replies, etc

Since I'm on jury duty this week I had time to kill this morning. Checked in on the thread over on Texags. Did not disappoint

Since our resident right wing posters are terrified of CR, all you need to do is go over to Texaggy and you can get their same intelligent and perfectly sane (and never ever bigoted) thoughts. They are the exact same.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Brisket, this is a simplistic platitude that gets us nowhere. 

Guns don't cause deaths.  I would guess that you can take every gun owned by ever person on this board ---- including a 30-30 that I have that is 124 years old ---- and collectively they have caused ZERO deaths.  I believe you, yourself, own guns.  How many deaths have they caused? If guns cause deaths, how could this be possible? 

What causes death is people + guns.  Take either one of those two things out of the equation and gun deaths go to zero. 

I guess if you really want to be technical its people + guns + bullets/lead shot that causes death, but I'm just going for back-of-the-hand causation.

Sadly, some people can't be trusted with guns. That's just a fact.  I can be. You can be. The whole of Surlyhorns, presumably, can be, but some people can't. We see the evidence daily.  Couple that fact with the fact that those same people now have easy access to extremely efficient/lethal guns, and it becomes a huge societal problem.

The problem isn't the guns. It isn't the people. It's the people with the guns. 

People usually post the video of part 1.  But the part 2 video addresses all of this rather well.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I didn’t say it was correct, just telling you what I briefly gleaned from the dumb shit I was texted.  

Good job repeating the lie and giving it air then! Trump and the MAGA media exploited this to great effect during his campaigns and tenure as president - one person somewhere would say a lie, a far right blog picks it up, it goes to the twittersphere, etc etc, January 6th.

It's more or less the v2 of "just asking questions" to do the work of repeating lies for them

• Hook 'Em 1

I get text-message alerts from ACC, and they've got a shelter-in-place going on at the Northridge Campus, as a "white male was seen with a handgun in the area".  Chances are it's nothing, but the fact that they feel the need to have to send these alerts out is sad, but necessary.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Since our resident right wing posters are terrified of CR, all you need to do is go over to Texaggy and you can get their same intelligent and perfectly sane (and never ever bigoted) thoughts. They are the exact same.

The Deacon actually compared CR to TexAgs over on the gun thread. This coming from a guy who shares common viewpoints with the TexAgs posters and had to change his username due to all of the bigoted things he posted under his prior username. Remarkable lack of self awareness. 

• Like 3