Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

9 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

True story. At lunch today an older aggy was sharing the news about Jimbo's latest recruiting bit. TexAgs ran a bit today about an 18 year old sumo wrestler from Japan, 6'8 and 500 lbs who runs a 4.8 forty and benches 850# was in college station for a recruiting visit. Old aggy was about to jizz himself as he kept reading more and more out loud, showing a pic of the sumo in his stance. When he got to the part about jimbo not being sure if he was going to play on either line but quite possibly as a TE I had to tell him to check today's date. He turned bright red (maroon, even) as the rest of the guys busted out in laughter.

April fools must be so devastatingly difficult for aggy.

e00cd2ec7a792d7e4d8df2d9cb3ec3db.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

2 minutes ago, Laughable Losers said:

Just wanted to share a status report from the discussion from a couple of weeks ago.

My son was accepted into UT Austin and the Cockrell School of Engineering majoring in Chemical Engineering.

Lots of excited yells this morning in our house.

We're proud of him and also thankful that UT saved our son from a life of being an aggy.....

Congrats to your son and family.  As an alum it is extra special to have a child attend UT as well.  I graduated in '88 and my daughter graduated in 2014.  I remember well bringing her down for orientation and then the first move-in day.  She asked so many questions about what to do and where to go.  I was a bit bewildered myself as the process had changed so much.  It had gone from a very manual system to everything being done electronically or online.  Great times for sure.

Another win for the good guys!  Hookem!  It will create even a more special bond between you and your child.

13 minutes ago, Laughable Losers said:

Just wanted to share a status report from the discussion from a couple of weeks ago.

My son was accepted into UT Austin and the Cockrell School of Engineering majoring in Chemical Engineering.

We're proud of him and also thankful that UT saved our son from a life of being an aggy.....

You do realize that I told you so....right?

28 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Congrats to your son and family.  As an alum it is extra special to have a child attend UT as well.  I graduated in '88 and my daughter graduated in 2014.  I remember well bringing her down for orientation and then the first move-in day.  She asked so many questions about what to do and where to go.  I was a bit bewildered myself as the process had changed so much.  It had gone from a very manual system to everything being done electronically or online.  Great times for sure.

Another win for the good guys!  Hookem!  It will create even a more special bond between you and your child.

Awesome.  Same here, graduated in 87.  My twins are finishing their freshman year living in Jester.  I was always close to my sons, but this truly does make the bond stronger.  Took them to the Sugar Bowl in January, hearing the Eyes of Texas at the end of the game, the thought that all 3 of us were Longhorns as we stood with our horns up made me quite emotional.  Hook em.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, Laughable Losers said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

My son won the Congressional Medal of Honor as an Eagle Scout. It was all part of his Commando Merit Badge. He managed to study for the SAT during the helicopter rides and aced the test. 

The only B he ever got in high school was in a class where a special needs kid had worked hard to overcome his disabilities to create a first rate science project. My boy never admitted that he took a dive that grading period, but we all know he did because he thought his classmate deserved to have the highest grade. 

Anyway, we were all pleased as punch to get videos from every Ivy League school with the respective deans begging him to come. But he's a Longhorn through and through and he can do Ivy for grad school if he likes.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Laughable Losers said:

Awesome, a life forever changed for the better...soon he'll be changing the world. 

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

I hooe you told her about adds & drops at the FEC. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I certainly did.  All she had to do was to go online and wait.  I also rummaged around in some old paperwork and found a tuition bill from one of my Fall semesters.  It was less than $500 for a full class load including the sports package, building fees, etc.  She was dumbfounded!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

My son won the Congressional Medal of Honor as an Eagle Scout. It was all part of his Commando Merit Badge. He managed to study for the SAT during the helicopter rides and aced the test. 

The only B he ever got in high school was in a class where a special needs kid had worked hard to overcome his disabilities to create a first rate science project. My boy never admitted that he took a dive that grading period, but we all know he did because he thought his classmate deserved to have the highest grade. 

Anyway, we were all pleased as punch to get videos from every Ivy League school with the respective deans begging him to come. But he's a Longhorn through and through and he can do Ivy for grad school if he likes.

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

When you left, did you tell her goodbye and good luck?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

When you left, did you tell her goodbye and good luck?

Yes I did, along with other sage advice.  The only thing that i was not prepared for was an active shooter situation.  That occurred her freshman year.  She called me in a panic.  She was locked in her dorm room and she did not know where her roommate was which was also a friend of hers from high school.  As a parent it is a bit alarming to be on the phone reassuring your child that it is going to be OK while you hear all of the alarms going off in the background.

The shooter finally knocked himself off in the PCL.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with her.  She would always call me when she was walking back from the student parking near DFF on the other side of I-35 back to her dorm.

Like I said, her going to school there created such a bond.  She is burnt orange through and through.  She is now in Durham, NC, married and is expecting her first child (next generation Longhorn).  We text and talk during the football games and try to make at least one game a season together.

We talk almost everyday on the phone.  She is a great daughter.

Edited by mininghorn88
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

I certainly did.  All she had to do was to go online and wait.  I also rummaged around in some old paperwork and found a tuition bill from one of my Fall semesters.  It was less than $500 for a full class load including the sports package, building fees, etc.  She was dumbfounded!

I wish I had saved my tuition bills.  When I find an old newspaper from my high school or college days, I always make a point to look at the ads to see how much the cost of things has changed.  I'm officially old, I guess.

45 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If I'm remembering correctly, it was 1986 when TEX was added. I started in '85, so I did it once the old way, and once via phone. Phone was so much better.

I remember registering on the first floor in Jester. Got my student ID in Gregory. I think after that semester, all my registrations were on TEX. "Welcome to TEX. The Telephone Enrollment Exchange for the University of Texas at Austin..."

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

I remember registering on the first floor in Jester. Got my student ID in Gregory. I think after that semester, all my registrations were on TEX. "Welcome to TEX. The Telephone Enrollment Exchange for the University of Texas at Austin..."

Yep. And I remember the day on the West Mall when a journalism student got top billing over the preacher-of-the-day (wasn't Brother Jed, but I can't remember what this guy's moniker was) by preaching the Gospel of TEX. Was amazing how much wind and bluster that guy had for a comedy bit that I would have thought would play out after 30 seconds. Nope. He kept going for about 15 minutes.

4 hours ago, Laughable Losers said:

Congratulations.  My son is finishing up his freshman year up there right now.  He's at Moody.  It's a good feeling knowing they've established a solid floor to build from by attending UT.   My nephew had a full ride to Alabama to get his Chem Eng and MBA in 5.  He's finishing his MBA in May but already has accepted a job for over 6 figures.  He'll be a technical sales engineer.   Good degree for your son and at a much better school.   

Awesome.  Same here, graduated in 87.  My twins are finishing their freshman year living in Jester.  I was always close to my sons, but this truly does make the bond stronger.  Took them to the Sugar Bowl in January, hearing the Eyes of Texas at the end of the game, the thought that all 3 of us were Longhorns as we stood with our horns up made me quite emotional.  Hook em.
Jester?

Did you send em cases of this?

a69063717ae4f832766e93a6dda5e6fc.jpg

Adds and drops at The Drum?

Sheeeeeet, childs play. It is air conditioned fer chrissake.

Adds and drops at Gergory, in August or September. No ac. Thousands of sweaty pissed off bodies waiting endlessly in line.

And everyone was most assuredly not skinny. Some were but tons and tons were not.

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If I'm remembering correctly, it was 1986 when TEX was added. I started in '85, so I did it once the old way, and once via phone. Phone was so much better.

i was a freshman in fall 87 and it was a the drum. not sure if tex was fall 88 but some time around then  

1 hour ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

Congratulations.  My son is finishing up his freshman year up there right now.  He's at Moody.  It's a good feeling knowing they've established a solid floor to build from by attending UT.   My nephew had a full ride to Alabama to get his Chem Eng and MBA in 5.  He's finishing his MBA in May but already has accepted a job for over 6 figures.  He'll be a technical sales engineer.   Good degree for your son and at a much better school.   

We were all very excited and even shed a few tears. For the last two weeks I have been walking around with that feeling of hopelessness. As much as I tried to convince myself that my son being an aggy wasn't going to be that bad, I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling sick to my stomach and would get up and get a glass of bourbon.  Went though a bottle each of Angel's Envy, Knob Creek and Makers Mark.

• Like 2

aggy too stupid to know what exponential growth is

VT starts a GoFundMe to keep Buzz

Don't laugh - it was only $350 this time yesterday. That's an exponential growth rate no matter how you figure it.

13 minutes ago, Laughable Losers said:

We were all very excited and even shed a few tears. For the last two weeks I have been walking around with that feeling of hopelessness. As much as I tried to convince myself that my son being an aggy wasn't going to be that bad, I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling sick to my stomach and would get up and get a glass of bourbon.  Went though a bottle each of Angel's Envy, Knob Creek and Makers Mark.

I've two more kids to agonize over.   I'm sure at least one of them will end up elsewhere, but I will remain hopeful.

5 hours ago, Zone Read said:

Doesn't get much better than this.  Congrats.  My daughter turned down a couple of athletic scholarships to attend UT.  We were OK with that. 

36 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I do not recall TEX and I graduated in December of 88.  Maybe I am just old and cannot remember.

Registered freshman year, Fall 87 at the Drum. Next year it was over the phone. 

Getting grades over TEX was stressful..."Geology 428 with a grade of....(long pause)...this grade has not been reported yet."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I did telephone enrollment as s freshman at UGL in 1997, and online after that. Fuzzy memories though. 

Do they even print course schedule books anymore?

always fun thumbing back and forth comparing days and times for conflicts. 

One semester worked out perfectly and I had 4 classes on mwf, 10 and 11 am and then 1 and 2 pm or something similar where there were no early classes plus a nice lunch break. Only tth “class” was racquetball.  Great semester. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Three full days ago, Buzz Williams to A&M was reportedly "done". Now all I see is that he is like the leading candidate or some such crap. What is the holdup? 

Either VTech is ponying up to prevent Buzz from making what is at best a lateral move or word has gotten to A&M regents from the lege that the minimal chance in hell that you will be getting extra $ to fund your school will drop to less than zero if you overpay for a basketball coach that is making what is at best a lateral move.