Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

My previous Vet was an LSU grad.  Best vet  we’ve had.  Was a bummer when we moved.
Now we have a new army Ag. She acts like the only treatment available is the most high tech & high dollar thing she can think of.  LSU guy would have said something like:  “we could take blood.  Send it to lab for X amount, and then I can prescribe  Y or Z.  Or you can just give him/her a generic  benedryl when you notice discomfort or scratching.”
He was always pointing out he was NOT a TAMU Vet.  I don’t think he had an high opinion of the little kennel on the Brazos.
Man, I miss that dude.
Our vets here in fl are mostly Gators and they are like your LSU vet.

• Replies 72.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Expecting UAB to possibly be flat against aggies after emotional victory Saturday that qualified UAB for their Conference Championship Game.  Pretty amazing since they just brought football back last year

I don’t think that will play a factor. Teams like UAB realize beating a P5, SEC caliber team is like winning the fucking lottery. This is their legit Super Bowl. They will want to win this game more than any game on their schedule. It will mean a lot more to their program than a Conference Title. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

In my country. Everyone have Pony

Ag's have reason to be upset.  They have massive issues that many are starting to realize go beyond a new staff and the "empty cupboard"  excuse.  Starting with QB.  Ol Miss is warmed over cat-piss bad.  They beat Tech early.  Fine.  I highly doubt they'd want to play that game again.  Their defense is horrible.  Statistically running behind such powerhouse teams as Rice, San Jose State, and NM State.  And they struggled with them.

Mond just ins't the guy.  He stares down receivers.  Holds on to the ball WAY too long.  And generally just isn't accurate.  TW is a good to great back, but shut him down, make the offense one-dimensional, and force Mond to beat you...usually the results are in your favor.  For a reported "QB guru", Fisher hasn't done much.  Next year they lose a ton of players and the schedule is brutal.  So are then pining for a year three breakout?  Good luck with that.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So are then pining for a year three breakout?  Good luck with that.  

They're putting all their eggs in this year 3 basket.  Once they don't win jack squat that year either (like always), that's when the criticisms of Jimbo will start in earnest and they'll realize they've been had.  You know, the real fun.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Ag's have reason to be upset.  They have massive issues that many are starting to realize go beyond a new staff and the "empty cupboard"  excuse.  Starting with QB.  Ol Miss is warmed over cat-piss bad.  They beat Tech early.  Fine.  I highly doubt they'd want to play that game again.  Their defense is horrible.  Statistically running behind such powerhouse teams as Rice, San Jose State, and NM State.  And they struggled with them.

Mond just ins't the guy.  He stares down receivers.  Holds on to the ball WAY too long.  And generally just isn't accurate.  TW is a good to great back, but shut him down, make the offense one-dimensional, and force Mond to beat you...usually the results are in your favor.  For a reported "QB guru", Fisher hasn't done much.  Next year they lose a ton of players and the schedule is brutal.  So are then pining for a year three breakout?  Good luck with that.  

My bold prediction is that Elko bolts for a HC job after year 2 if he can't get one this year. Next year their defense will be even worse than this year with their whole Dline turning over. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scholz said:

They're putting all their eggs in this year 3 basket.  Once they don't win jack squat that year either (like always), that's when the criticisms of Jimbo will start in earnest and they'll realize they've been had.  You know, the real fun.

I think many realize it now.  They just aren't vocal about it.  Our family is "split" between the school in Austin and CS.  Baby shower this weekend.  Ton of young and old Ags.  Many are rather resigned and much less vocal about Jimbo.  These are your usual hyperbolic ag's chanting SEC-SEC and pissing over the Big12.  Not so much anymore.  They will squeak past UAB.  Get their dicks kicked in by LSU (who will shut down TW, and force Mond into mistake after mistake), lose their bowl game, get murdered next season....and by year three be in real trouble.  And it will be glorious...... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

My bold prediction is that Elko bolts for a HC job after year 2 if he can't get one this year. Next year their defense will be even worse than this year with their whole Dline turning over. 

Elko is the one bright spot on this years team.  In terms of the DL and LB's (to an extent).  Secondary is still garbage, but as they match up with primarily rushing teams, it plays to their strengths and hides their weaknesses.  Mack in playing as many expected when he was recruited.  Their production and record are more of a product of inferior opponents rather than aptitude.  

34 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Surprisingly, aggy is pretty much guaranteed a 3rd place finish in the SEC West (factoring in Alabama taking care of Auburn). If they upset LSU,  they will finish 2nd lulz. Such a weak division besides Bama. 

i think they will finished tied for 6th place in the SEC with South Carolina, Miss. St., Tenn/Mizzou winner. So basically they are top 9 in their conference.

From a thread on r/cfb

danho2010 16 points 4 hours ago 

Respectfully, the mistake people from other parts of the country make is thinking this rivalry was ever really about sports. It's not. It's about being the preeminent university in the state in all ways. Now to the rest of the country, sports obviously plays a huge role in perception. A&M leadership, to their credit, realized that to change the perception of the university, we had to dissociate ourselves from the University of Texas's 'shadow', so to speak. Enrollment is up 30-40% over the past decade, and we've been a larger school than t.u. for several years now. The goal is to fill the state with Aggies to ensure that our donations for both academics and athletics outpace theirs for the foreseeable future, and the abundance of Aggie graduates who become Aggie voters will prevent the legislature from disproportionately favoring t.u. like they have historically.

Even if you look at athletics, from our side, it was an unwinnable game. Beat the Longhorns 8 years out of 10 and the press says it's an aberration. Lose a couple times and 'things are back to normal'. The Longhorns controlled the narrative so much that we realized we had to knock the pieces off the chessboard, so to speak. A very large amount, probably even a majority, of Aggies DO NOT want to revive the series any time soon because of the lack of respect and patronizing attitude shown by University of Texas leadership, especially during the conference realignment process.

In short, we realized that playing Texas in football, win or lose, doesn't actually accomplish any of our goals. But don't let Aggies who say we don't care about them any more or that the rivalry is over fool you. It's not over. Almost all our moves are about a long term plan to supplant them as the university of choice in Texas, and not playing them is just one of our moves.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/9wc6oq/texas_am_and_university_of_texas_students_do_you/

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Yama Yak Yachtzi said:

First of all, all of that is complete garbage. They've always measured themselves against The University of Texas, and they always will. Second, they just don't get it and never will. They equate "more students" and a higher acceptance rate with a better school. They are building Blinn Sr. College academically. They are behind Rice, UT-Austin, SMU, UT-Dallas, and Baylor academically and will continue to slide.  

Compare: "What starts here changes the World" with "The goal is to fill the state with Aggies to ensure that our donations for both academics and athletics outpace theirs for the foreseeable future." Sad, Sad, Sad.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yama Yak Yachtzi said:

what a crock of shit.. " supplant as the university of choice in Texas.." When has that ever been the case unless you are aggy legacy or couldn't get into Texas? 

16 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

what a crock of shit.. " supplant as the university of choice in Texas.." When has that ever been the case unless you are aggy legacy or couldn't get into Texas? 

As a recent high school student and current longhorn, that reputation is still alive and well. The only people excited to get into A&M were those who had no shot at UT or were legacies and only applied to aggy. I had plenty of close friends either not get in at all or not get McCombs or Cockrell so they decided to go to A&M. I don’t know a single person who picked aggy over UT unless scholarship money swayed them. The day UT decisions were coming out was one of the most intense days I’ve ever seen in high school. In class, my teacher stopped teaching because she realized all her students were on their phone or laptop spamming the refresh button. Then a mix of chears and sobbing over took the room and she decided to end class early. But no one gave two shits when they got their a&m decision. I still have friends trying to transfer into UT from college all across the state. I don’t know a person trying to leave Austin.

• Like 3

•  

From a thread on r/cfb

danho2010 16 points 4 hours ago 

Respectfully, the mistake people from other parts of the country make is thinking this rivalry was ever really about sports. It's not. It's about being the preeminent university in the state in all ways. Now to the rest of the country, sports obviously plays a huge role in perception. A&M leadership, to their credit, realized that to change the perception of the university, we had to dissociate ourselves from the University of Texas's 'shadow', so to speak. Enrollment is up 30-40% over the past decade, and we've been a larger school than t.u. for several years now. The goal is to fill the state with Aggies to ensure that our donations for both academics and athletics outpace theirs for the foreseeable future, and the abundance of Aggie graduates who become Aggie voters will prevent the legislature from disproportionately favoring t.u. like they have historically.

Even if you look at athletics, from our side, it was an unwinnable game. Beat the Longhorns 8 years out of 10 and the press says it's an aberration. Lose a couple times and 'things are back to normal'. The Longhorns controlled the narrative so much that we realized we had to knock the pieces off the chessboard, so to speak. A very large amount, probably even a majority, of Aggies DO NOT want to revive the series any time soon because of the lack of respect and patronizing attitude shown by University of Texas leadership, especially during the conference realignment process.

In short, we realized that playing Texas in football, win or lose, doesn't actually accomplish any of our goals. But don't let Aggies who say we don't care about them any more or that the rivalry is over fool you. It's not over. Almost all our moves are about a long term plan to supplant them as the university of choice in Texas, and not playing them is just one of our moves.

None of the bolded phrases/statements are good.  Bigger is not better, whether it is an individual, a school or an institution, quality always wins out over quantity.   Fill the state with aggies?   There's millions of cockroaches in Texas also, and that's not a good thing either.  It just fills the bill for more lying, more cheating, and more tolerance of those who do.   Hell of a pathetic path that they have always chosen.. but, aggy, poooooor aggy.

So, let them multiply, it assures many more decades of aggy jokes and aggy tears, which by the way are delicious.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

As a recent high school student and current longhorn, that reputation is still alive and well. The only people excited to get into A&M were those who had no shot at UT or were legacies and only applied to aggy. I had plenty of close friends either not get in at all or not get McCombs or Cockrell so they decided to go to A&M. I don’t know a single person who picked aggy over UT unless scholarship money swayed them. The day UT decisions were coming out was one of the most intense days I’ve ever seen in high school. In class, my teacher stopped teaching because she realized all her students were on their phone or laptop spamming the refresh button. Then a mix of chears and sobbing over took the room and she decided to end class early. But no one gave two shits when they got their a&m decision. I still have friends trying to transfer into UT from college all across the state. I don’t know a person trying to leave Austin.

Chears?

9 minutes ago, texaslong said:

What is A&M's AAU status? Are they still in danger of losing it?

That is a real good question. The AAU were targeting many of their members that received a disproportionate amount of their overall grant funding from noncompetitive sources (Agricultural grant funding  is the big one) and usually that puts a big ole bullseye on A&M. I wonder if that is why they keep aggregating their funding numbers instead of doing the multiple campus bit?

Respectfully, the mistake people from other parts of the country make is thinking this rivalry was ever really about sports. It's not. 

Shocking that the team who usually loses a rivalry in sports would claim the rivalry isn't really about sports. 

Enrollment is up 30-40% over the past decade, and we've been a larger school than t.u. for several years now. The goal is to fill the state with Aggies to ensure that our donations for both academics and athletics outpace theirs for the foreseeable future.

Broke graduates don't make a lot of donations.  I'm sure past a&m grads are happy to hear their degrees are being devalued in an effort to try to beat the sips in fundraising (no, really, I am sure they are). 

Beat the Longhorns 8 years out of 10 and the press says it's an aberration. Lose a couple times and 'things are back to normal'. The Longhorns controlled the narrative

The press doesn't say it's an aberration, statistics say it's an aberration.  That's not a narrative, it's math.  Don't feel bad for not understanding that, I'm sure it's one of the subjects that's suffering at a&m with your new, higher enrollment. 

In short, we realized that playing Texas in football, win or lose, doesn't actually accomplish any of our goals.

Particularly not the goal of winning.  But remember, this rivalry isn't about sports. 

Almost all our moves are about a long term plan to supplant them as the university of choice in Texas, and not playing them is just one of our moves.

To prove you're the best, you have to run away from competing against those you can't beat.  That's the message we want new students considering a&m to hear. 

• Like 8