Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean that is a laudable goal but surely the solution is not to jam everybody on to one campus? Especially if the proper infrastructure and support is not in place.

Wonder how many of these additional students are pursuing engineering degrees.

• Like 1

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean that is a laudable goal but surely the solution is not to jam everybody on to one campus? Especially if the proper infrastructure and support is not in place.

Especially for an engineering school 

A sanitary sewer line from Whitely Hall had been improperly connected to a storm drain after renovations were completed in August, according to a statement released by the university.

The problem was discovered Tuesday, and work to reroute the sanitary sewer line was expected to be completed Wednesday.

The university said an estimated 1.18 million gallons of sanitary sewer effluent flowed into detention ponds on the campus golf course and into Wolf Pen Creek over the course of eight months.

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/texas-a-m-reports-sewage-discharge-from-campus-dorm-started/article_f2c89eef-f5c7-5010-b00b-be6c6deb1858.html

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I have no, literally no facts to support this, but I highly doubt they're watering down their engineering school and degrees with massive enrollment. In fact I remember specifically reading a post on aTm's 247 page back in the day when all the discussion was taking place regarding the changes to enrollment from Perry and his shit educational adviser..."Don't fuck with the engineering school or business school. Everything else I don't care and bring in as many aggies as you want." That cry was generally met with agreement from the masses. But by all means, fuckwits, please make your engineering degree shit as well. 

We are proud of our success at Texas A&M. We have increased enrollment by 17,000 students, or 33 percent, in the last decade to keep pace with the growth of the state of Texas. We have also maxed out our current resources to do this because we believe an educated Texas workforce is the key to our state’s continued economic miracle.

Texas A&M is also graduating our students more efficiently than ever. Over the past 10 years, the number of degrees awarded is up 40 percent. This year alone, applications to attend Texas A&M are up 20 percent.

So you're a diploma mill, then. That's what you're saying.

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

“Hullabaloo! Caneck! Caneck!

“Do you support reinstating the Texas A&M University vs. University of Texas rivalry game on our nonconference football schedule?”

That’s the question the Texas A&M Student Senate will ask the student body on Thursday.

The Texas A&M-UT rivalry is part of our legacy at Texas A&M. It inspired our Aggie War Hymn and many of our most beloved traditions. Proposed legislation to revive the game has early support from Gov. Greg Abbott and a wide bipartisan group of lawmakers, not to mention former students and fans. Leaders at both universities also support resuming the game.

But reviving a rivalry is not my main priority this legislative session. Instead, I am focused on narrowing the funding gap between Texas A&M and UT , which is more than $850 higher per student per year at UT. That’s not a level playing field at all.

How did this happen?

The funding formula for higher education is based on student semester hours, rewarding institutions for educating more and more students. As Texas A&M University grew over time, the University of Texas chose not to grow, capping its enrollment. But last session, the Legislature funded UT as though it were still growing - to the tune of an extra $55 million per biennium. Before that, we had been funded equitably.

This year’s proposed appropriation bills continue that practice.

I am not trying to take anything from UT, but unless the per-student funding gap is closed, Texas A&M will be shortchanged again this legislative session.

We are proud of our success at Texas A&M. We have increased enrollment by 17,000 students, or 33 percent, in the last decade to keep pace with the growth of the state of Texas. We have also maxed out our current resources to do this because we believe an educated Texas workforce is the key to our state’s continued economic miracle.

Texas A&M is also graduating our students more efficiently than ever. Over the past 10 years, the number of degrees awarded is up 40 percent. This year alone, applications to attend Texas A&M are up 20 percent.

Our impact on the state, the nation and the world is undeniable. As our research expenditures approached $1 billion last year, we achieved numerous scientific breakthroughs, such as the commercialization of a new strain of cotton that can help feed half a billion hungry people across the globe while doubling the income of cotton farmers.

Funding for Texas A&M is probably the best investment lawmakers can make in the future of Texas. That is why I am focused on funding, and not necessarily football, this session.

“Hullabaloo! Caneck! Caneck!” is the beginning of the best college fight song in the nation. Many long to see a return to the gridiron rivalry of the past.

I understand that, but we should tackle the football issue as we address this inequitable funding gap.

I am calling on all lawmakers who want to see Texas A&M and UT play football again to please also consider leveling the playing field for us in the budget. We cannot continue to serve a growing Texas, as legislators have asked, without adequate and equal support.

Equity funding for Texas A&M University is our top priority if we are to continue meeting the growing needs of Texas.

"...new strain of cotton that can help feed half a billion hungry people..."

They're going to eat cotton?  Who's running that place? Milo Minderbinder?

Edited by flatdawgs
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Two things: 

1.) So you're fucking telling me we need to get state dollars to help the fuckheads in Qatar have a better quality of life? Because if they're including THAT in their enrollment counts (not to mention their law school and Galveston, which is UTTER bullshit) then their enrollment hasn't even gotten nearly as high as they're claiming. UT had 60k people on campus when I was an undergad, which included Law and other schools as well. You dont include law students in enrollment count for state funds because it's a fucking graduate school goddamnit. These lying, grafting fucks. If that's the game, then hell they dont even have many more students than we do. Especially if you include all our satellite campuses. So clearly they dont need any money. 

But A&M includes its branch campuses in Qatar and Galveston and its law school in Fort Worth in enrollment counts, so not all of those students are on the College Station campus.

2.) Seriously, how fucking difficult is it to fix your infrastructure to add 17k students in almost 10 years? That's fucking pathetic. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Two things: 

1.) So you're fucking telling me we need to get state dollars to help the fuckheads in Qatar have a better quality of life? Because if they're including THAT in their enrollment counts (not to mention their law school and Galveston, which is UTTER bullshit) then their enrollment hasn't even gotten nearly as high as they're claiming. UT had 60k people on campus when I was an undergad, which included Law and other schools as well. You dont include law students in enrollment count for state funds because it's a fucking graduate school goddamnit. These lying, grafting fucks. If that's the game, then hell they dont even have many more students than we do. Especially if you include all our satellite campuses. So clearly they dont need any money. 

2.) Seriously, how fucking difficult is it to fix your infrastructure to add 17k students in almost 10 years? That's fucking pathetic. 

Hurricane Harvey can't pay all the bills!

jimbo-fisher-contract-texas-am-aggies-fl

If Sharp doesn't get the funding he wants, word is he's going to start issuing "cuck bucks" (see below). Wonder what will ultimately have more value -- these or Schrute bucks.

41ad3afc-13a7-4f13-a861-022464a0d92c.jpg

• Like 1

I have no, literally no facts to support this, but I highly doubt they're watering down their engineering school and degrees with massive enrollment. In fact I remember specifically reading a post on aTm's 247 page back in the day when all the discussion was taking place regarding the changes to enrollment from Perry and his shit educational adviser..."Don't fuck with the engineering school or business school. Everything else I don't care and bring in as many aggies as you want." That cry was generally met with agreement from the masses. But by all means, fuckwits, please make your engineering degree shit as well. 
Well I know this will come at a real shock but they have 16.9k engineering students currently with a stated goal of increasing it to 25k by 2025.

Just now, DCA_HORN said:
18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well I know this will come at a real shock but they have 16.9k engineering students currently with a stated goal of increasing it to 25k by 2025.

That is actually fucking unbelievable. They're actually THAT stupid. They're going to piss all over the one degree that they actually seem to value, and that the rest of the world somewhat values (other than their vets). That would be like them showing up and beating Revelry to death with her shit shovel. 

Well, I guess real engineers will need to hire construction foremen. 

31 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

During lunchtime, the dining halls are overcrowded, forcing some students to eat on the floor. And the influx of students has created transportation problems. Students have reported cramped buses. Traffic has increased on Bryan and College Station streets, and parking has become harder to find.

Hood, the speaker of the student senate, said he often rode the bus two miles from his apartment to campus last year. It sometimes took him about 45 minutes to get to class, he said.

As if eating on the floor isn't already hilarious enough, the speaker of their student senate just admitted that he would take a 45 minute bus ride to cover 2 miles. 

2 miles? Nope, can't walk. Or ride a bike. Or learn to longboard. Gonna have to sit on a bus for 45 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Um...we're talking about aggy here.

I mean they have something like 12 Universities in their system, many very small and poorly funded schools. Why not invest in those and free up some space on the main campus? But yeah...I know...

Edited by Valmy77

That is actually fucking unbelievable. They're actually THAT stupid. They're going to piss all over the one degree that they actually seem to value, and that the rest of the world somewhat values (other than their vets). That would be like them showing up and beating Revelry to death with her shit shovel. 
Well, I guess real engineers will need to hire construction foremen. 
And I believe they have a program where classes at Blinn count the same as taking it at the main campus.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

As if eating on the floor isn't already hilarious enough, the speaker of their student senate just admitted that he would take a 45 minute bus ride to cover 2 miles. 

2 miles? Nope, can't walk. Or ride a bike. Or learn to longboard. Gonna have to sit on a bus for 45 minutes. 

Yeah. The Fordham fans were "so upset" with the crowd that they told me how much fun they had and how welcomed they felt. Then I watched them (properly) cross legs and sway during the Aggie War Hymn at Sunday's game. Really nice folks. Good luck to the Rams for the rest of the season.

Their made up stories aren't just limited to Pyle Field.

https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/3021426

43 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Read more  

Good God, that's a whole lot of extra things falling collapsing caving in and cracking. Insurance companies are going to take a beating.

besides the fact that bad bull not-so-sharp is too stupid to understand formula funding here is the other travesty of him as the chancellor of a "system"

these numbers for enrollment are wiki so a bit old)

aggy enrollment 58,515

Tarleton  12,333

Commerce 12,502

TAMU-CC 12,174 <- probably the lone real success story since being placed in the system

PVAMU 9,400

Kingsville 9,207 <- used to be treated well now being screwed starting about the time they would not allow them to have the Lerma Erma Deerma Perma Pharmacy school and placed it in the aggy health school and then placed all of that under college station

WTAMU 9,901

Laredo 7,192

TAMU-Sa 4,564 <- good for the UT System and UTSA because it is now the "fogs a mirror" admissions requirement public university in SA

TAMU-Ct (upper division only) 2,466

Texarkana 2,066

lets compare that to the UT System

UT 51,525

UTA 41,933

UTSA 30,674

UT RGV 27,809

UTD 27,642

UTEP 25,078

UT Tyler 10,527

UTPB 7,628

so right away you see one system with mostly large efficient universities that are not burdening students with  paying the cost of administrations and university overhead spread over low enrollments

next you have to understand that under McRaven the UT System actually pulled administrative staff from universities and placed their positions under the "system" while keeping those people at their individual universities......this was actually done because the PUF/AUF is allowed to be used for system administration by both the UT and aggy system.....the rsult of that movement of personnel actually came at the EXPENSE of UT Austin because increasing the amount of money the system spends on administration from their portion of the AUF instead of having the individual schools cover that means that there is less money left over for UT Austin for "excellence funding" because that funding only comes after formula funding and administrative cost are covered.....so higher administrative cost for the system means less remaining funds for UT Austin excellence

the aggy system has made no effort to help their institutions in a similar way

I think the numbers below show which system cares about all components and which one cares about bloating the main campus and making "good ags"

the numbers below for engineering are not quite fair comparisons the UT sites mostly list departments for easy reference while the aggy ones mostly list degrees offered and the UT ones have many departments with multiple degrees offered

lets look at in demand degrees like engineering and nursing

aggy 14 engineering departments and a nursing program

Tarleton   11 engineering and nursing

Commerce  3 engineering and nursing

TAMU-CC  1 engineering department offering 3 degrees and a CS department and nursing

PVAMU  6 engineering departments and a nursing program

Kingsville  9 engineering no nursing

WTAMU  6 engineering and nursing

Laredo  1 engineering and nursing

TAMU-Sa no engineering and no nursing

TAMU-Ct no engineering has nursing

Texarkana 1 engineering plus Cs and nursing

UT  7 engineering departments and nursing

UTA  7 engineering departments and nursing

UTSA  5 engineering departments no nursing (nursing at the HSC instead)

UT RGV  6 engineering departments and nursing

UTD  6 engineering departments no nursing

UTEP  7 engineering and nursing

UT Tyler  3 engineering degrees plus nursing

UTPB  4 engineering departments plus nursing

lets look at research total research and development 2017 in thousands

aggy 905,474

UT  652,187

UTD  113,205

UTA  97,197

UTEP  94,565

UTSA  70,163

UT RGV  29,500

TAMU-CC  27,993

Kingsville  22,633

PVAMU  13,982

Tarleton   10,893

WTAMU  4,943

Laredo  4,745

Commerce  4,227

UT Tyler    1,837

UTPB 1,152

TAMU-Sa  na

TAMU-Ct  na

Texarkana  na

HSCs

aggy hsc is under the college station admin now

MDA 888,029

UTSW 461,797

UTHSC Houston 246,060

SA 192,557

Galveston 185,106

Tyler 16,292

1 hour ago, flatdawgs said:

"...new strain of cotton that can help feed half a billion hungry people..."

They're going to eat cotton?  Who's running that place? Milo Minderbinder?

to be fair they removed a toxin from the seed that makes them edible for humans and animals that cannot currently eat them

cotton seed oil has been consumed for a long time (what Crisco used to be), but flower and other stuff from the seed is not and cattle (and deer more and more) mostly eat the whole seed other animals do not

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 2

One of my kids' daycare teachers is from New Mexico and today had on a maroon sweatshirt that said "Aggies" across the front. I told her, "I hope that's for New Mexico St." She quickly showed me the patch identifying it as official NMSU gear. I told her I wasn't aware that NMSU used the same colors as aggy and she said yes they do.

According to online sources, the Aggies' official colors are white and crimson. Which should be ousux's colors, but this was definitely maroon.

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

to be fair they removed a toxin from the seed that makes them edible for humans and animals that cannot currently eat them

cotton seed oil has been consumed for a long time (what Crisco used to be), but flower and other stuff from the seed is not and cattle (and deer more and more) mostly eat the whole seed other animals do not

Yep.  And it's also worth noting that the closest relative of cotton is okra, so it's not much of a culinary stretch anyway, once you get past how ridiculous it sounds to non-agriculturally inclined ears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

One of my kids' daycare teachers is from New Mexico and today had on a maroon sweatshirt that said "Aggies" across the front. I told her, "I hope that's for New Mexico St." She quickly showed me the patch identifying it as official NMSU gear. I told her I wasn't aware that NMSU used the same colors as aggy and she said yes they do.

According to online sources, the Aggies' official colors are white and crimson. Which should be ousux's colors, but this was definitely maroon.

There are a handful of ways to differentiate Aggie gear from aggy gear. The most obvious is the attractiveness of the person wearing it. If the person is at all pleasing to look at, they are NMSU fans.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yep.  And it's also worth noting that the closest relative of cotton is okra, so it's not much of a culinary stretch anyway, once you get past how ridiculous it sounds to non-agriculturally inclined ears.

Well, dammit, BF and Walden, that's not nearly as funny (and yes, my profession is some ways from agriculture, so mea maxima culpa). But I like okra alright so I'm cool with it.  Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Can somebody post the graphic from a couple years ago showing the record of Texas vs aggy in the big 3?  Think it was during an ESPN baseball game.  Need to put an aggy in his place. 

(narrator) It won't.

aggy- Something something scholarship limits, something something no females on campus, something something damn cheatin' sips

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

Talking about research and nursing programs, no mention of UTMB? Add in those numbers and it really shows who is the leader. UTMB now has over a dozen research hospitals I believe.

HSCs

100% of all aggy hsc (aggy medical, Baylor Dental, Lerma Erma Derma Perma Rangle Pharmacy, aggy Houston) is under the college station admin now <- the last year of independence for aggy health was 2012 $85 million in research and development

MDA 888,029 <- MD Anderson

UTSW 461,797 <- UT southwestern

UTHSC Houston 246,060 <- independent of MD Anderson

SA 192,557 <- UTHSC-SA

Galveston 185,106 <- UT Medical Branch

Tyler 16,292 <- UT Tyler HSC

UT Austin Dell and UTRGV Medical will be under those universities

Edited by ButtFumble