Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

On 2/17/2019 at 8:04 PM, TexasMan said:

One of my favorite storylines from their 2012 season is Sumlin kicking off his tenure the SECSECSEC way by saying he was suspending 2 players for the first game of the season, which was @ Louisiana Tech.

Then a hurricane postpones that game until later in the season, so their now their first game was v Florida. aggy media got to seeing that those 2 players were available to play, so one of them actually had the cojones to ask why they weren't suspended, and Rumlin's response was something along the lines of "I didn't suspend them for the first game, I suspended them for the La Tech game." 

Was a real canary in the mine shaft of the accountability Summy would hold his players to during his tenure. 

This is the only aspect of A&M that actually concerns me. A&M has been a sleeping giant etc etc for as long as I've followed college football, and I've watched savior after savior come and go without so much as a Top 4 finish, so I am not a Chicken Little when it comes to their prospects. However, the one advantage A&M has over most other programs, ours included, is that they have absolutely no conscience when it comes to winning football games, collectively or individually. None. We are all familiar with what Aggies call the portion of the student body that doesn't subscribe to all their dumbass traditions-- "2%ers!", well, the percentage of Aggies who are opposed to doing whatever it takes to win football games is significantly lower than two percent. 

Probably the four strongest programs right now are Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State. Those four programs basically do not give a fuck about anything other than winning football games. There's no mitigating factor at those schools. At places like Michigan, USC, and Texas, there's no less desire to win but that desire is tempered by an obligation to keep football "in perspective" compared to the school's academic mission and to follow the rules of the sport. We built a medical school, they put new rims and a bumpin' stereo in their piece of shit Vega and then went to the Lege with hand out, begging. That should humiliate Aggies, but the vast majority of them don't see a problem and/or don't care because their football coach won a national title at another school and is among the highest paid in the sport. 

You need the attitude of "I don't fucking care about anything else, we just have to win football games" to get into the Bama/Clemson/OU/OSU stratosphere. You need a lot of other things, too, but if you want to win more than the other programs you're compared to, you have to be willing to yell HAIL SATAN and pass the collection plate. A&M is willing to do that, and THAT is the only thing that concerns me about them. Not the number of Aggies in the state, being in the SEC, having some shiny new aluminum plating on their piece of shit stadium, but the fact that plenty of influential Aggies want to win at any cost than they want to win within the rules. 

• Like 2

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

The problem for aggy is they have completely screwed themselves.  You only gain an advantage cheating if you're competing against honest people.  aggy just moved to the most corrupt conference in FBS.  Not only is the SEC filled with veteran cheaters, they also know how to deal with anyone who gets too uppity.  Look at what happened to Hugh Freeze when he started to threaten the established order.  Or for that matter Hal Mumme 20 years ago.

The powers of the SEC will not stop aggy from cheating.  But they will not hesitate to ruthlessly kneecap A&M if they have too much success at the game.  In that respect they were much better of dealing with Texas as the lead dog.

• Like 5

The problem for aggy is they have completely screwed themselves.  You only gain an advantage cheating if you're competing against honest people.  aggy just moved to the most corrupt conference in FBS.  Not only is the SEC filled with veteran cheaters, they also know how to deal with anyone who gets too uppity.  Look at what happened to Hugh Freeze when he started to threaten the established order.  Or for that matter Hal Mumme 20 years ago.
The powers of the SEC will not stop aggy from cheating.  But they will not hesitate to ruthlessly kneecap A&M if they have too much success at the game.  In that respect they were much better of dealing with Texas as the lead dog.

This is aggy we are taking about. They don’t do success.
  • Like 1

One of my old bosses talked about the gomers cheating when he attended back in the late 50's. They actually got the corps of cadets to surround the basketball stadium (before indoor practice facilities folks), and keep people out. The football team would then conduct illegal off season practices. My ex boss complained how cold it was, but said it was worth it if they could win a championship. His daughter later attended University of Texas, and he always had his wife sign the checks to the university, as he would never want his name associated in any way with the University of Texas. 

This is the only aspect of A&M that actually concerns me. A&M has been a sleeping giant etc etc for as long as I've followed college football, and I've watched savior after savior come and go without so much as a Top 4 finish, so I am not a Chicken Little when it comes to their prospects. However, the one advantage A&M has over most other programs, ours included, is that they have absolutely no conscience when it comes to winning football games, collectively or individually. None. We are all familiar with what Aggies call the portion of the student body that doesn't subscribe to all their dumbass traditions-- "2%ers!", well, the percentage of Aggies who are opposed to doing whatever it takes to win football games is significantly lower than two percent. 
Probably the four strongest programs right now are Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State. Those four programs basically do not give a fuck about anything other than winning football games. There's no mitigating factor at those schools. At places like Michigan, USC, and Texas, there's no less desire to win but that desire is tempered by an obligation to keep football "in perspective" compared to the school's academic mission and to follow the rules of the sport. We built a medical school, they put new rims and a bumpin' stereo in their piece of shit Vega and then went to the Lege with hand out, begging. That should humiliate Aggies, but the vast majority of them don't see a problem and/or don't care because their football coach won a national title at another school and is among the highest paid in the sport. 
You need the attitude of "I don't fucking care about anything else, we just have to win football games" to get into the Bama/Clemson/OU/OSU stratosphere. You need a lot of other things, too, but if you want to win more than the other programs you're compared to, you have to be willing to yell HAIL SATAN and pass the collection plate. A&M is willing to do that, and THAT is the only thing that concerns me about them. Not the number of Aggies in the state, being in the SEC, having some shiny new aluminum plating on their piece of shit stadium, but the fact that plenty of influential Aggies want to win at any cost than they want to win within the rules. 
Nobody gives a fucking shit about NMSU you fucking twatwaffle douchebag moron aggy boy.

It is necessary. It is not solely sufficient. It can make up for a lot of other shortcomings.
Lulz really? It hasn't done shit for aggy. They have had this attitude of win at all costs THEIR WHOLE FUCKING HISTORY. They don't have shit to show for it.

They had to bring in a ringer to eke out a win over Texas the first time. Texas refused to play em until the responsible parties were fired.

Rice am some sneaky evil motherfuckers. Having one of their alumni fuck aggy over forever and ever.

0573fed2f85e9534e2894c04c3744c98.jpga537239db4877e761e58d92f36de0c37.gif

17 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This has to be a joke. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/There-s-more-to-the-Texas-A-M-UT-rivalry-than-13625994.php

"I am calling on all lawmakers who want to see Texas A&M and UT play football again to please also consider leveling the playing field for us in the budget."

Translation:

"If you ever want to see the rabid, mangy hyena again, hand over the money."

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This has to be a joke. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/There-s-more-to-the-Texas-A-M-UT-rivalry-than-13625994.php

"I am calling on all lawmakers who want to see Texas A&M and UT play football again to please also consider leveling the playing field for us in the budget."

That was a beating to read.

“Hullabaloo! Caneck! Caneck!

“Do you support reinstating the Texas A&M University vs. University of Texas rivalry game on our nonconference football schedule?”

That’s the question the Texas A&M Student Senate will ask the student body on Thursday.

The Texas A&M-UT rivalry is part of our legacy at Texas A&M. It inspired our Aggie War Hymn and many of our most beloved traditions. Proposed legislation to revive the game has early support from Gov. Greg Abbott and a wide bipartisan group of lawmakers, not to mention former students and fans. Leaders at both universities also support resuming the game.

But reviving a rivalry is not my main priority this legislative session. Instead, I am focused on narrowing the funding gap between Texas A&M and UT , which is more than $850 higher per student per year at UT. That’s not a level playing field at all.

How did this happen?

The funding formula for higher education is based on student semester hours, rewarding institutions for educating more and more students. As Texas A&M University grew over time, the University of Texas chose not to grow, capping its enrollment. But last session, the Legislature funded UT as though it were still growing - to the tune of an extra $55 million per biennium. Before that, we had been funded equitably.

This year’s proposed appropriation bills continue that practice.

I am not trying to take anything from UT, but unless the per-student funding gap is closed, Texas A&M will be shortchanged again this legislative session.

We are proud of our success at Texas A&M. We have increased enrollment by 17,000 students, or 33 percent, in the last decade to keep pace with the growth of the state of Texas. We have also maxed out our current resources to do this because we believe an educated Texas workforce is the key to our state’s continued economic miracle.

Texas A&M is also graduating our students more efficiently than ever. Over the past 10 years, the number of degrees awarded is up 40 percent. This year alone, applications to attend Texas A&M are up 20 percent.

Our impact on the state, the nation and the world is undeniable. As our research expenditures approached $1 billion last year, we achieved numerous scientific breakthroughs, such as the commercialization of a new strain of cotton that can help feed half a billion hungry people across the globe while doubling the income of cotton farmers.

Funding for Texas A&M is probably the best investment lawmakers can make in the future of Texas. That is why I am focused on funding, and not necessarily football, this session.

“Hullabaloo! Caneck! Caneck!” is the beginning of the best college fight song in the nation. Many long to see a return to the gridiron rivalry of the past.

I understand that, but we should tackle the football issue as we address this inequitable funding gap.

I am calling on all lawmakers who want to see Texas A&M and UT play football again to please also consider leveling the playing field for us in the budget. We cannot continue to serve a growing Texas, as legislators have asked, without adequate and equal support.

Equity funding for Texas A&M University is our top priority if we are to continue meeting the growing needs of Texas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Can someone paste, its behind a pay wall for me. 

“Hullabaloo! Caneck! Caneck!

“Do you support reinstating the Texas A&M University vs. University of Texas rivalry game on our nonconference football schedule?”

That’s the question the Texas A&M Student Senate will ask the student body on Thursday.

The Texas A&M-UT rivalry is part of our legacy at Texas A&M. It inspired our Aggie War Hymn and many of our most beloved traditions. Proposed legislation to revive the game has early support from Gov. Greg Abbott and a wide bipartisan group of lawmakers, not to mention former students and fans. Leaders at both universities also support resuming the game.

But reviving a rivalry is not my main priority this legislative session. Instead, I am focused on narrowing the funding gap between Texas A&M and UT , which is more than $850 higher per student per year at UT. That’s not a level playing field at all.

How did this happen?

The funding formula for higher education is based on student semester hours, rewarding institutions for educating more and more students. As Texas A&M University grew over time, the University of Texas chose not to grow, capping its enrollment. But last session, the Legislature funded UT as though it were still growing - to the tune of an extra $55 million per biennium. Before that, we had been funded equitably.

This year’s proposed appropriation bills continue that practice.

I am not trying to take anything from UT, but unless the per-student funding gap is closed, Texas A&M will be shortchanged again this legislative session.

We are proud of our success at Texas A&M. We have increased enrollment by 17,000 students, or 33 percent, in the last decade to keep pace with the growth of the state of Texas. We have also maxed out our current resources to do this because we believe an educated Texas workforce is the key to our state’s continued economic miracle.

Texas A&M is also graduating our students more efficiently than ever. Over the past 10 years, the number of degrees awarded is up 40 percent. This year alone, applications to attend Texas A&M are up 20 percent.

Our impact on the state, the nation and the world is undeniable. As our research expenditures approached $1 billion last year, we achieved numerous scientific breakthroughs, such as the commercialization of a new strain of cotton that can help feed half a billion hungry people across the globe while doubling the income of cotton farmers.

Funding for Texas A&M is probably the best investment lawmakers can make in the future of Texas. That is why I am focused on funding, and not necessarily football, this session.

“Hullabaloo! Caneck! Caneck!” is the beginning of the best college fight song in the nation. Many long to see a return to the gridiron rivalry of the past.

I understand that, but we should tackle the football issue as we address this inequitable funding gap.

I am calling on all lawmakers who want to see Texas A&M and UT play football again to please also consider leveling the playing field for us in the budget. We cannot continue to serve a growing Texas, as legislators have asked, without adequate and equal support.

Equity funding for Texas A&M University is our top priority if we are to continue meeting the growing needs of Texas.

Sharp is chancellor of the Texas A&M University system.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

The aggys have long claimed to be the wealthiest public university in the nation. They obviously don't need more taxpayer funds. Fuck them.

RD -- do they even have the classroom space for all of these additional students or are they making a bunch of classes Johnny Football-style (aka online)?

School officials say the growth has come in response to calls by state leaders to increase the number of young Texans earning college degrees, especially in sought-after fields like engineering. 

I mean that is a laudable goal but surely the solution is not to jam everybody on to one campus? Especially if the proper infrastructure and support is not in place.

Edited by Valmy77