2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The main argument by folks here is that we do not need to be a learn on the job program or a risk taking program. We should be getting proven established head coaches that have shown they can win 10+ games on a consistent basis at a P5. When we got Mack I felt we could not get him but I was told I was stupid and we should be able to get coaches like Mack since We're Texas and the other folks were right. So arguments that a coach needs a couple of more seasons to learn how to be a head coach or the Sarkisian argument that we need to see what he can do as a sober mature head coach because we know only what he has been as a young drunk head coach fail. It all goes back to we should not have been in this position in the first place.

Seems like a poor argument to me. One year is not enough time to mold a FB team and establish a culture. Years two and three are far more indicative. I am surprised that people with knowledge of CFB think we know anything about a guy after one year. History laughs at that notion. There is no such thing as a coach who is a finished product, if we hire a guy who thinks he’s done learning then he wouldn’t work out either. You have to constantly adapt and improvise to be worth a crap in such a rapidly changing arena like CFB 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure what makes you think CDC, who loves fat Gare, wouldn’t jump at the chance to hire him full time. He’s probably jerking odd to the idea as we speak and has been all week. 

you’re basically hoping Hartzell and Eltife step in there, and I’m not sure that’s the case. 

Oh God. I thought that guy had left the site. Yeah, who should care that a known entity used to wielding power and buddies with the AD would potentially join the already dysfunctional football program at Texas and undermine the struggling new head coach? Nothing to see there. 

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Seems like a poor argument to me. One year is not enough time to mold a FB team and establish a culture. Years two and three are far more indicative. I am surprised that people with knowledge of CFB think we know anything about a guy after one year. History laughs at that notion. There is no such thing as a coach who is a finished product, if we hire a guy who thinks he’s done learning then he wouldn’t work out either. You have to constantly adapt and improvise to be worth a crap in such a rapidly changing arena like CFB 

Sarkisian's own history "laughs at that notion" that the collective should be giving the guy any benefit of the doubt. He's here, fine, show us. But selling the concept that he's about to turn the corner and start putting trophies in the case is something you should be reserving for posts on 247 or Texags. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sarkisian's own history "laughs at that notion" that the collective should be giving the guy any benefit of the doubt. He's here, fine, show us. But selling the concept that he's about to turn the corner and start putting trophies in the case is something you should be reserving for posts on 247 or Texags. 

wrong post. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh God. I thought that guy had left the site. Yeah, who should care that a known entity used to wielding power and buddies with the AD would potentially join the already dysfunctional football program at Texas and undermine the struggling new head coach? Nothing to see there. 

giphy-2.gif

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can't figure out if you're just a very literal guy, or just naive, or what. I don't know, maybe you're a performance artist or something and don't have any experience with corporate dynamics and politics. Whatever it is, the premise that Sarkisian would publicly object to the hiring is absurd.

If the stories are true, and none of us are there so it's always a good idea to reserve at least some judgment for things like this being pure bullshit, then there's politicking going on with CDC and Sarkisian and Sarkisian will get "sold" on the move. Privately, he might stew over it and hate it, and bitch about it to someone loyal, but if CDC has vetted this with some of the money (he has, as this stuff is all coming from the DFW booster side), Sarkisian isn't an idiot and he's not going to die on that hill. 

Maybe Sarkisian is fine with it and doesn't think it's a bad thing. Maybe the rumor is complete bullshit. Maybe the deal isn't wrapped and it falls through.

Fan fiction at its most tedious. Do us all a favor and go look at the guy's resume before projecting something like this at the rest of us next time. Marion may be a lot of things, but calling him "loyal" is borderline hilarious.

I've written them from his hire forward on various threads. I thought he was a terrible hire, confirmed shit I didn't want to hear from friends at Bama, then Mike Stoops and keeping Coleman, then 5-7 with a loss to Kansas, 3 indefensible chokes, a lifeless blowout to ISU, and voila, the guy is a shit hire who will fail miserably here. There is nothing in his track record to justify the hire and there is nothing in his history, recent or otherwise, to justify defending what we've witnessed on the field. Along with Howard Schnellenberger, September Wins Steve is the only FBS Head Coach in the last 4 decades to be fired for being drunk on the sidelines.

I could go on and on, but the better thing to do is to simply ask you or anyone else what reason you could have to believe otherwise? If the strategy is hope, that's fine, you're a fan, I get it. I expect Sarkisian to have 4 years at Texas, so I'm not calling for his firing and I would love to see the dude turn things around and start winning titles. He seems nice enough and all. 

There is not a single person with any substantial posting history on the recruiting board calling for the firing of Steve Sarkisian. It's a lazy trope from long time board denizens that the minute a coach shows he's human, everyone but themselves is calling for the coach's head. 

Agreed. I don't track how the concept of an actual GM is immediately getting conflated by some people here. Gary Patterson isn't angling for a subordinated recruiting role, guys. Fuck. Think of what a GM does in the pros and there you have it. Also, it seems like a really low chance that they'd frame the role that way to the public.

image.jpeg.45b3aaf2f570965e9a421e65fb1fe381.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can't figure out if you're just a very literal guy, or just naive, or what. I don't know, maybe you're a performance artist or something and don't have any experience with corporate dynamics and politics. Whatever it is, the premise that Sarkisian would publicly object to the hiring is absurd.

Agreed. I don't track how the concept of an actual GM is immediately getting conflated by some people here. Gary Patterson isn't angling for a subordinated recruiting role, guys. Fuck. Think of what a GM does in the pros and there you have it. Also, it seems like a really low chance that they'd frame the role that way to the public.

I wouldn’t call myself naive. I understand how things work and I know many in the industry who I talk to on a regular basis. I don’t understand how hiring A well respected guy like GP is being spun as a negative. I don’t believe that the UT admin is dumb enough to create division and toxicity within the program by doing something like this without Sarks approval. Especially with the National narrative of big money guys being the problem at UT. Sark would tell folks and nobody would ever want to coach here under this admin. I know that GP has a rep in the recruiting world but I have met him a few times and my dad and used to help run his football camps way back. From my encounters with him, he is a super genuine, family oriented kind of person and it’s known that he respects Sark so it’s kind of a reach to suggest sabotage. Logic says that this reaction is unwarranted. Everyone wants Sark to win big here, why in the hell would the people that hired him less than a year ago purposely undermine his ability to be successful? It makes no sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I never said that he was gonna turn any corner haha I’m just saying that we don’t know either way. Your position of impending doom is just as untenable as the position that you’ve accused me of having. Im sure that you’d agree that there were at least some positive takeaways from this year. As i would agree with you that there were some negatives. We don’t know anything so there’s no reason to bury the guy yet.

10 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I wouldn’t call myself naive. I understand how things work and I know many in the industry who I talk to on a regular basis. I don’t understand how hiring A well respected guy like GP is being spun as a negative. I don’t believe that the UT admin is dumb enough to create division and toxicity within the program by doing something like this without Sarks approval. Especially with the National narrative of big money guys being the problem at UT. Sark would tell folks and nobody would ever want to coach here under this admin. I know that GP has a rep in the recruiting world but I have met him a few times and my dad and used to help run his football camps way back. From my encounters with him, he is a super genuine, family oriented kind of person and it’s known that he respects Sark so it’s kind of a reach to suggest sabotage. Logic says that this reaction is unwarranted. Everyone wants Sark to win big here, why in the hell would the people that hired him less than a year ago purposely undermine his ability to be successful? It makes no sense.

Gp may be well respected but how do we know he’ll play ball. Hiring Lincoln Riley to work with kliff would be equally awkward

3 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

If you know folks in the recruiting and coaching worlds that you speak to regularly, you should copy and paste your take here to them and see if you get a single response from any of them that honestly tells you they don't think Patterson would angle for the role of HC at Texas if he got a chance once inside the building.

My first post on this today referenced a guy, a well known college football coach, that literally coached with Patterson, stating the opposite of your post here. There are other posters from this board who were also at the lunch. So cool that you don't think Patterson could angle if given the opportunity, but maybe check in with some folks that can tell you firsthand how true that sentiment does or does not ring.

If Patterson were being hired as a DC or recruited first by Sarkisian, fucking awesome. That's not the word. 

BTW, Patterson helped cover up a drug scandal with his players and is a long rumored wifebeater, but yeah, outside of that, he sounds like a sweet family guy.

In any event, I will be entertained by whatever happens if GP gets the kind of role being rumored. If it works out, Texas is way better. If it doesn't and the guy is a disaster, fuck that guy anyway. If it doesn't work out and GP and Seven Loss Steve have GoT-level shit spill out into the public doman, the chaos will be hilarious and disturbing at the same time. I can't lose, but YMMV.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Malzahn.  Steele was allegedly meeting with BMD's about ousting Malzahn and taking over as HC.  I think the story was broken by the college newspaper when one of their writers saw/heard him in (an elevator? or conference room?) with BMD's.

Yea.   It happens in all professions.  Thanks

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My first post on this today referenced a guy, a well known college football coach, that literally coached with Patterson, stating the opposite of your post here. There are other posters from this board who were also at the lunch.

The cheesesteak was just ok, fried onion strings saved it

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I never said that he was gonna turn any corner haha I’m just saying that we don’t know either way. Your position of impending doom is just as untenable as the position that you’ve accused me of having. Im sure that you’d agree that there were at least some positive takeaways from this year. As i would agree with you that there were some negatives. We don’t know anything so there’s no reason to bury the guy yet.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!?!?

Impending? Positive? I have seen some sunshine pumping pollyanna bullshit on the boards over the past 25 years, but this post might take the cake. I'm not even going to bother with further dialogue with you on it, as you aren't worth the mental bullet.

FWIW - Nahlin just put out an article advocating for the need for a 'GM' to handle a lot of the non-coaching responsibilities.  Ketch did a video last night speculating about a GM position and how that might be a fit for Patterson.
Smoke around GP joining Texas as a GM who reports to the AD?

First, fuck that fat POS Ketch. Next, GP in a GM role sounds really interesting. Lastly, I don’t have anything else to say.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

There are virtually zero data points indicating Sarkisian will succeed here. There are a massive shit ton of data points indicating he will not. Of course we all hope that isn’t the case - and perhaps Ewers can be his Vince Young/Cam Newton - but simply saying “we don’t know anything” doesn’t come close to telling the full story.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fan fiction at its most tedious. Do us all a favor and go look at the guy's resume before projecting something like this at the rest of us next time. Marion may be a lot of things, but calling him "loyal" is borderline hilarious.

Leaving after the season to advance your career, which yes he has done frequently, is different from leaving days before a program’s biggest bowl game in recent history when it could easily wait. I’m not saying he has so much blind loyalty that he won’t take another job. I’m just saying he may have enough to not leave the team hanging this week when there’s no real reason to do so.

I mean if I were him, I would do exactly that - tell Sark I’m in but that I want to keep it quiet until after the game. And if I were Sark I’d say absolutely no problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

There are virtually zero data points indicating Sarkisian will succeed here. There are a massive shit ton of data points indicating he will not. Of course we all hope that isn’t the case - and perhaps Ewers can be his Vince Young/Cam Newton - but simply saying “we don’t know anything” doesn’t come close to telling the full story.

Yeah maybe that was poorly worded. We don’t know “enough” might have been more appropriate. I’m not here to get in a big pissing match with anyone. I thought we finally gave our best players the ball and put them in positions to succeed on offense. As other posters have pointed out, the OL seems to have improved over the year and ST is actually an asset for this team again. There was evidence of a team that could be really good(1st half OU) and piss poor(Kansas and Arky). That’s all I was trying to say. I can see the vision of what this thing could be. But obviously it’s up to the players and coaches to get us there.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!?!?

Impending? Positive? I have seen some sunshine pumping pollyanna bullshit on the boards over the past 25 years, but this post might take the cake. I'm not even going to bother with further dialogue with you on it, as you aren't worth the mental bullet.

sunshine pumping pollyanna bullshit new band name i call it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think there is merit in taking some things off Sark's plate like strength and conditioning, some defensive strategy stuff, self scouting stuff, etc.

Saban has built an off the field machine that supports the on the field machine.

If something like that is the vision and GP is a good fit, then I could see that.

I would be very happy with GP as co DC or DC for sure.

If I'm Sark, I might not be thrilled about GP's long standing relationship with my boss however.

Best I can tell, Sark has solid support among Hartzell and Eltife.  I don't see why they would let a culture/personality "grenade" go off in their signature athletic initiative.

So if they are sold, then maybe the kinks have been worked out.

For a football GM role, I'd probably prefer someone from Sark's  background with Carroll or Saban.  I'd also prefer some defensive staff changes too.

Overall, I'm still in the camp that one year is not enough time to judge changes in culture and development which have plagued our program. Most coaching hires fail at this level, but I think it's too early to call it especially given our long standing culture and development woes.

Edited by burdine
  • Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

“I know how things work.”

/proceeds to post many sentences that illustrate that he does not, in fact, know how anything works.

For starters the disbelief the texas AD could be dysfunctional and shoot itself in the dick, despite decades of direct evidence to the contrary. All recently. And before you say CDC is a new sheriff, let me remind you about Mike Stoops and being told to sit this one out in regards to the last coaching hire. We are dysfunction. 

you think it’s some grand plan to undermine success, but what you don’t consider is the more obvious and likely fact that the people involved, like cdc, are also naive doofuses like yourself who just think shit will work out and Patterson will not put his own interests ahead of Sarkesians or the Texas Athletic Department. This is the guy who is the biggest negative recruiting shit talker in the business, but you don’t think he’d negative shit talk Sark to CDC and talk about how he could easily fix this and win some national titles? Well ok. 

Also, Gary Patterson beats women. And allegedly CDC knew it well at TCU. Factor that into your math. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Is the last signing day a data point?
Last signing day and coaching hires, at least on paper, seemed positive.

Outside of that, it's hard to find many others.

I'm going the "choose optimism bc I'm a fan" route, but I know full well it's blind optimism not rooted in much.

I tuned out entirely after the ou collapse this year, something I didn't even do that early in the season during the Charlie years. Like any fan, I'll get excited again for next season, but it won't take much for me to tune out again if things don't look massively improved. After 11 years of believing we'll turn the corner, it's pretty easy to see when we haven't and find other uses for that Saturday time.
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, burdine said:

Overall, I'm still in the camp that one year is not enough time to judge changes in culture and development which have plagued our program. Most coaching hires fail at this level, but I think it's too early to call it especially given our long standing culture and development woes.

fair enough but perceived culture and development woes should limit a championship level coach to 7-8 wins in a 12 game season, not 5-7 losing to Kansas seasons.

he's getting 4 years unless he tosses another 5 win season out there again.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

fair enough but perceived culture and development woes should limit a championship level coach to 7-8 wins in a 12 game season, not 5-7 losing to Kansas seasons.

Also, I saw some bright spots on offense, Sark's specialty, despite limited personnel to help keep me patient.

Just looking at wins and losses in the short term is outcome oriented thinking.  That works well with a lot of data (multiple seasons, cue CTJ with Sark's UWub and USC records) which I don't think we have at Texas.

IMO, Sark succeeds or fails on if he can get the defense playing right because I think the offense is headed in the right direction.

Despite a need for continuity, I'd like to see defensive staff changes to better align that side of the staff.

34 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Yeah maybe that was poorly worded. We don’t know “enough” might have been more appropriate. I’m not here to get in a big pissing match with anyone. I thought we finally gave our best players the ball and put them in positions to succeed on offense. As other posters have pointed out, the OL seems to have improved over the year and ST is actually an asset for this team again. There was evidence of a team that could be really good(1st half OU) and piss poor(Kansas and Arky). That’s all I was trying to say. I can see the vision of what this thing could be. But obviously it’s up to the players and coaches to get us there.

Bijan made our OL look better than they were.  The guy is a fucking stud.  Rojo willed his way to most of his yardage.  they were somewhere between flat awful to below average all year.  QB's might have made the line look a tad worse(not stepping up in the pocket and general pocket awareness were problems).  I'd put D at #1 with a bullet, OL #2 and QB #3 on list of issues.  ST's is better.

We made some ridiculously backbreaking TO's.   maybe Sark can clean some shit up, GP can fix  the D and we can get to 8-9 wins.

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I, for one, appreciate raysboomboomroom taking the heat off of me from sydney and ctj lol

I mean, I like to think most folks with reasonable intellect can juggle multiple dumbass posters at once. But personally, that’s not how I operate. I prefer to try and take all the really stupid posts at face value regardless of the poster or posting history. 

but we’d all be liars if we didn’t admit that it’s impossible to avoid a reputation for persistent and really bad takes. Otherwise how else would we know that RealGreggyGym will inevitably show up to defend the coaches and lament kids these days, or Ray is going to get things completely backwards and continue to out HtownHorn HtownHorn? 

Here is the Nahlin piece so you can read for yourselves what he means by 'GM'. There are lot of elements to the gig that go beyond what you would initially assume. This isn't just a bloated DPP role. Also important to note that this is 100% subservient to the HC despite GM being the higher ranked position in the NFL. 

Spoiler

The demands of a college football head coach have increased tremendously over the last 10 years to the point I’m wondering if General Manager positions will become commonplace.

Director of Football Operations is a position that exists, but has more to do with logistics than football. Here’s the current description for that job opening at USC:

“The University of Southern California Football Team is seeking a full-time position to coordinate the day-to-day operations for our student-athletes, coaches, and support staff. This individual will be responsible for organizing and coordinating various team functions including, but not limited to, team travel, team meals, training camp, team meetings, player housing, practice operations, and special events. Additional responsibilities include assisting with budgeting, community engagement, recruiting events, and summer camps.”

They go on to list qualifications that have very little to do with the football side of running a program. This is a job for those looking to advance in an Athletic Department with hopes of one day becoming an AD. There are countless people on this board who could be a Director of Football Operations.

What I have in mind for a CFB GM is much more football related and ideally suited for current coaches. Coaches who:

— may have been Peter Principled as head coaches
— may have been retired rather than retiring on their own timeline
— are looking for redemption (Tom Herman, Manny Diaz)
— provide a personality balance between the head coach, i.e., Nick Saban with someone younger who is willing to handle the BS aspects that even affect Bama, Steve Sarkisian with an old sage, Lincoln Riley with someone who doesn’t shy from competition, good cop/bad cop, etc.
— may help address a glaring program deficiency

This job would necessarily be filled by a football man, not a pencil pusher.

Job duties would include:

— program-wide audit to identify what is and isn’t working, with accompanying reasons
— overseeing the talent identification aspects of the program, namely the personnel and scouting department with the goal of taking advantage of the portal. Head coach still has final say on all offers.
— serving as a funnel for information flow to the head coach; from S&C, from high school operations, from personnel department, etc.
— help with game-week prep in ways that overlap with their expertise
— serve as liaison to player’s parents
— help recruit during game day visits; would allow for hosting more players
— tying in previous networks created with existing ones

Some will say these duties are already that of the head coach, and my response would be that’s why the position is best suited to a former or aspiring head coach.

As stated above, the demands of the job are much greater than they were just 10 years ago. New aspects of college football, namely the portal in conjunction with NIL, have professionalized the sport in ways that provide leverage to players not even seen in the professional ranks. Athletes being an age more susceptible to the grass being greener elsewhere means recruiting never truly stops.

The GM would help offload these increasing burdens from the head coach, plus others, especially in-season when focus should be singularly geared toward game preparation and team management.

A smaller investment for the General Manager position would help optimize the much greater investment.

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

The best predictor of the future performance is past performance and Sarkisian had a mediocre record as a head coach. So the frustrations with Sarkisian after year one have nothing to do with unrealistic rebuild expectations. Now we are stuck and we are all pulling for Sarkisian to be the exception instead of the norm of mediocre retread coaches.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Let's dig down a level from 5-7 or we lost to Kansas.

I think except for Bijan and Worthy, we can agree on a pretty limited offensive roster.  With one offseason, and no solid starting QB, we put up these offensive numbers.

Also, except for WR, we have a solid influx of offensive talent incoming.

I think it's reasonable to say the offense is headed in the right direction.

The defense is a terrible mess.  They underperformed the talent on the roster by a lot IMO. 

It is Sark's job to fix it.

If he doesn't he fails here.

FFQfTj8XMAM3NfL?format=png&name=large

5 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Here is the Nahlin piece so you can read for yourselves what he means by 'GM'. There are lot of elements to the gig that go beyond what you would initially assume. This isn't just a bloated DPP role. Also important to note that this is 100% subservient to the HC despite GM being the higher ranked position in the NFL. 

Reveal hidden contents

The demands of a college football head coach have increased tremendously over the last 10 years to the point I’m wondering if General Manager positions will become commonplace.

Director of Football Operations is a position that exists, but has more to do with logistics than football. Here’s the current description for that job opening at USC:

“The University of Southern California Football Team is seeking a full-time position to coordinate the day-to-day operations for our student-athletes, coaches, and support staff. This individual will be responsible for organizing and coordinating various team functions including, but not limited to, team travel, team meals, training camp, team meetings, player housing, practice operations, and special events. Additional responsibilities include assisting with budgeting, community engagement, recruiting events, and summer camps.”

They go on to list qualifications that have very little to do with the football side of running a program. This is a job for those looking to advance in an Athletic Department with hopes of one day becoming an AD. There are countless people on this board who could be a Director of Football Operations.

What I have in mind for a CFB GM is much more football related and ideally suited for current coaches. Coaches who:

— may have been Peter Principled as head coaches
— may have been retired rather than retiring on their own timeline
— are looking for redemption (Tom Herman, Manny Diaz)
— provide a personality balance between the head coach, i.e., Nick Saban with someone younger who is willing to handle the BS aspects that even affect Bama, Steve Sarkisian with an old sage, Lincoln Riley with someone who doesn’t shy from competition, good cop/bad cop, etc.
— may help address a glaring program deficiency

This job would necessarily be filled by a football man, not a pencil pusher.

Job duties would include:

— program-wide audit to identify what is and isn’t working, with accompanying reasons
— overseeing the talent identification aspects of the program, namely the personnel and scouting department with the goal of taking advantage of the portal. Head coach still has final say on all offers.
— serving as a funnel for information flow to the head coach; from S&C, from high school operations, from personnel department, etc.
— help with game-week prep in ways that overlap with their expertise
— serve as liaison to player’s parents
— help recruit during game day visits; would allow for hosting more players
— tying in previous networks created with existing ones

Some will say these duties are already that of the head coach, and my response would be that’s why the position is best suited to a former or aspiring head coach.

As stated above, the demands of the job are much greater than they were just 10 years ago. New aspects of college football, namely the portal in conjunction with NIL, have professionalized the sport in ways that provide leverage to players not even seen in the professional ranks. Athletes being an age more susceptible to the grass being greener elsewhere means recruiting never truly stops.

The GM would help offload these increasing burdens from the head coach, plus others, especially in-season when focus should be singularly geared toward game preparation and team management.

A smaller investment for the General Manager position would help optimize the much greater investment.

It would have to be at the college level, at least until the transformation from the college model to a more pro model is complete in the college ranks. 

If it is Marion, Sarkisian definitely did a good job of getting younger and upgrading recruiting at the RB and WR spot (Yes, the bar wasn’t set very high for one of those but still an upgrade), and I think it would position us well for the 2023 class in-state with Owens and the WR’s we will be battling for.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Last signing day and coaching hires, at least on paper, seemed positive.

Outside of that, it's hard to find many others.

I'm going the "choose optimism bc I'm a fan" route, but I know full well it's blind optimism not rooted in much.

I tuned out entirely after the ou collapse this year, something I didn't even do that early in the season during the Charlie years. Like any fan, I'll get excited again for next season, but it won't take much for me to tune out again if things don't look massively improved. After 11 years of believing we'll turn the corner, it's pretty easy to see when we haven't and find other uses for that Saturday time.

Not trying to make anyone even more despondent, but we've just finished the 12th consecutive season as fans watching Texas wander through the wilderness. I guess we can all account for 2018 as an oasis in the desert, but I don't know if any of us following it closely felt certain about that, even if it was enjoyable for the most part. Still, it's been 12 years since Texas lost less than 4 games in a non-corona season.

• Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The only conceivable reason for Marion to stay on for the bowl game after getting snubbed on playcalling duties is because he's bringing the WR with him and an early departure fucking up their bowl game would unnecessarily burn too many bridges. Or he's not the guy and Texas is waiting to hire Hankton after UGa's last game. Or it's someone else altogether and we're wasting our time giving a shit what Marion is tweeting about in the first place. Or fuck me, fuck you, fuck that and no one knows shit about fuck.

get in the motherfucker

One more small bit of smoke - we just offered Isaiah Neyor, Marion’s most recent twitter follow. 

So summary of the smoke:

Most of his recent follows are Texas staff, WRs, and 9.95ers

In addition to X and Shawn Lewis’ RTs, Marion’s most recent tweet has been liked by at least Sark, a couple other UT analysts, and Agbo.

X has been liking/RTing multiple things from him lately

Helom RT’d a post of his earlier this week

Neyor stuff

He didn’t get Pitt play calling duties for the bowl game

As always, this could all be nothing or just mean that we’re in conversations with him, but that sure seems like a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

One more small bit of smoke - we just offered Isaiah Neyor, Marion’s most recent twitter follow. 

So summary of the smoke:

In addition to X and Shawn Lewis’ RTs, Marion’s most recent tweet has been liked by at least Sark, a couple other UT analysts, and Agbo.

Neyor stuff

As always, this could all be nothing or just mean that we’re in conversations with him, but that sure seems like a lot. 

Watch: Irish man drums rhythm of 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' scene  | PhillyVoice

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So summary of the smoke:

Neyor stuff

If you want to go full blown “he’s already signed,” keep in mind Santiago’s flight was scheduled to depart at 0600 yet at 0100 he still hadn’t packed.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3