Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Serious question for those slamming Riley for making this move/how he made it. How do you think is the "right" way for a coach move from one program to another?

I don't know if its a matter of "right" as much as sparing us the bullshit of how the move to USC or LSU wasn't even a thought until after the regular season ended.

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'm not saying it wasn't a smart move, it is.  He's still a chickenshit.  And you're bringing up KU, Mizzou and Colorado to state your case? Oof.  Mack may be 6-9 vs Stoops, but all people will remember is 63-14, 65-13.  Bob owned Mack.  

I'll admit, I still have PTSD when playing OU because those games were my first introduction to the rivalry. I just expect us to come out and be down 21 points after the first quarter. Every other team it's no big deal if they score a TD early. Every time OU does, I wonder if the wheels are about to come off.

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

As someone who attended the games in the early 2000s as a student, I disagree 

It definitely was owning for a 5-year stretch (‘00-‘04). Hard to ignore that, but Mack was 7-4 excluding that. 

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'm not saying it wasn't a smart move, it is.  He's still a chickenshit.  And you're bringing up KU, Mizzou and Colorado to state your case? Oof.  Mack may be 6-9 vs Stoops, but all people will remember is 63-14, 65-13.  Bob owned Mack.  

Chickenshit?  Bob owned Mack?  Alright, you’ve exhausted my tolerance. 

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

It definitely was owning for a 5-year stretch (‘00-‘04). Hard to ignore that, but Mack was 7-4 excluding that. 

Excluding those five straight losses where we were smoked by a combined score of 189-54, we were pretty good!

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don't know if its a matter of "right" as much as sparing us the bullshit of how the move to USC or LSU wasn't even a thought until after the regular season ended.

Who gives a shit what these guys say?  He was being peppered by reporters on LSU rumors.  They knew he couldn’t answer them if he were to go to LSU, so I would get irritated as hell if I were a coach on the move. I wouldn’t say a fucking word to anyone. How he left OU is exactly how I would’ve played it. If you want out, keep your mouth shut, come up with a plan, and execute it. 

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'll admit, I still have PTSD when playing OU because those games were my first introduction to the rivalry. I just expect us to come out and be down 21 points after the first quarter. Every other team it's no big deal if they score a TD early. Every time OU does, I wonder if the wheels are about to come off.

Lately we get up by 21 and the wheels then fall off. 

42 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Anyone who believes that Riley and USC started talking on Sunday and hammered out a 9-figure deal in a few hours must be completely ignorant of the words "lawyer" and "Board of Regents."

in addition, all of that narrative supposedly regurgitated by the condom cigar would have unfolded over weeks not days

there may be some truth in sbbruin's post, but it smells a little like a southland version of aggy fan fic

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Excluding those five straight losses where we were smoked by a combined score of 189-54, we were pretty good!

Yeah, pretty good to the tune of a national title, another appearance, and what should’ve been two more. So I’d say so.

We got blown out a bunch. It still counts as one historical loss. The bottom line is Mack wasn’t as bad and Bob wasn’t as good versus each other as everyone wants to think. 

42 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, that's not the point.

Contracts that complicated for that amount of money do not get drawn up and reviewed by all parties that quickly, and universities damn sure don't spend that much money that quickly.

Lincoln's obviously full of shit.

Not to mention the three other coaches and one staff member he took with him. He convinced those four guys, and their families to pack it up and move to California over Sunday brunch mamosas?

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yeah, pretty good to the tune of a national title, another appearance, and what should’ve been two more. So I’d say so.

We got blown out a bunch. It still counts as one historical loss. The bottom line is Mack wasn’t as bad and Bob wasn’t as good versus each other as everyone wants to think. 

He has 3 of the worst 4 losses to OU in the history of the program. You have to be one dense motherfucker to try to argue that Mack Brown's performance against OU is underappreciated on a Texas forum. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He has 3 of the worst 4 losses to OU in the history of the program. You have to be one dense motherfucker to try to argue that Mack Brown's performance against OU is underappreciated on a Texas forum. 

Not underappreciated.  Overly harsh. 7-9 didn’t get the job done, but that he wasn’t thoroughly dominated as is common thinking. Those 3 blowouts are each 1 game, and he coached in 13 more of them. He also presided over the largest win in program history over OU. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

Not underappreciated.  Overly harsh. 7-9 didn’t get the job done, but that he wasn’t thoroughly dominated as is common thinking. Those 3 blowouts are each 1 game, and he coached in 13 more of them. He also presided over the largest win in program history over OU. 

Mack was 6-9 against Stoops.  7-9 against OU overall (his win in 1998 was over John Blake).

I am amazed at the number of OU and OSU fans on this site. It explains why this site is the Texas site where you can see VY and Durant mocked and belittled. 

I think Riley is smart. He didn’t want the SEC (he understood that OU owned the Big 8 and Big 12, and what benefits they got from that, not least being that it was officiated the way they like. OU fans seem to think that’s how it will be everywhere. He probably also has no desire to recruit against other programs as unconstrained in paying players and taking character risks as OU). When his concerns were rejected, he knew where he stood there. 

Sooners have been enjoying the life of Riley. OU, for decades, has used football success as a way to compensate for feelings of inferiority. Riley leaving for a lateral gig highlighted some things they’d rather not have to acknowledge- for most people, Oklahoma is a place to be from, not a place to go to. Oklahomans are not that charming or interesting (Toby Keith on the sideline? Really?). To achieve football success,OU has to whore out every other facet of the university. 

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

One of the blowouts could've been worse.  Stoops was kneeling it deep in our territory

26 minutes ago, Constant said:

Not to mention the three other coaches and one staff member he took with him. He convinced those four guys, and their families to pack it up and move to California over Sunday brunch mamosas?

Simmons has followed Riley his whole career so that one would have been easy. Grinch was Riley's hand picked guy, so that was easy. Wiley is just happy to have a job, so that is easy. Bedenbauch probably saw the writing on the wall once those other coaches were leaving and got himself a spot on the lifeboat to the tropical island. And it was poinsettias, not mimosas you uncultured fuck. 

Edited by Vertigo

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

From one of SC's top "insiders":

lvloanpro
Posted on 86 mins, V I P, User Since 215 months ago, User Post Count: 566
86 mins
VIP
215 months
Ok here’s what actually happened:

We wanted Fickell. He wouldn’t talk until after the season. That didn’t work for us.

We went after Aranda. He flat out turned us down.

Then we offered Campbell. I heard it was 7.5M for 8 years. He wavered and didn’t decline but also didn’t accept.

Meanwhile, LSU had offered Petersen 12M for 8 years. He said No, he didn’t want to coach anymore. They then offered Riley 12M for 8 years. He didn’t want to go to LSU but he tried to get Oklahoma to match it. Oklahoma essentially said NO.

Well, it just so happened that Riley’s agent is also Donte’s agent. The agent tells Riley “I think I can get that deal for you from USC”. He reached out and somewhere around the 4th qtr of the BYU game Sosna started working on it. They make the deal. I don’t know the numbers but I think it has to be in the 12M neighborhood based on offer from LSU.

Contrary to the chess not checkers and Campbell and Aranda were backups crew, we literally lucked into the greatest hire we’ve made in a generation. They didn’t have discussions prior to Sat night. None.

Regardless. They should be commended for having the balls to pull the trigger on this hire and financial commitment. Optically it shows the whole CFB landscape we are serious about football and true gamers.

Side note: feelers and some dialogue was had with Brian Kelly’s people.

I heard OU turned down 12.  I posted that game day night about being ok if he left bc we didn’t match a number.  I thought OU was matching (or not) LSU.  That post is still out there.  Nobody here will believe it but LR never commanded the respect Bob got from Joe C.  Supposedly Bob was well aware of SEC move and LR only knew there were discussions - and he was basically lukewarm at best on the whole idea.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I heard OU turned down 12.  I posted that game day night about being ok if he left bc we didn’t match a number.  I thought OU was matching (or not) LSU.  That post is still out there.  Nobody here will believe it but LR never commanded the respect Bob got from Joe C.  Supposedly Bob was well aware of SEC move and LR only knew there were discussions - and he was basically lukewarm at best on the whole idea.  

It is a cautionary tale though. If you get a guy, you need to keep him at all costs. The fallout has been pretty catastrophic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Mack was 6-9 against Stoops.  7-9 against OU overall (his win in 1998 was over John Blake).

I’m well aware and have stated such earlier when I was posting from your Mom’s sex lair. 

22 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Mack was also the coach for the largest loss in program history against OU. He lost to OU 5 times in a row. We’re talking about Lincoln Riley fucking over OU but you’re here slobbering over Mack’s legacy. Mack is such a bitch I think he would take the OU job because he thinks it will make Texas fans upset. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It is a cautionary tale though. If you get a guy, you need to keep him at all costs. The fallout has been pretty catastrophic. 

Yep, now OU gets to pay 10+ million a year anyway on a coaching speculation since the coaching salary bar has been significantly raised.  And while they may get the hire right, statistically they are more likely to get it wrong, especially considering their next coach has to navigate the transition to the SEC.

Say what you want about Sark, but if a good head coach's salary is 12 million per year, he's probably getting paid commensurately at 5.7 million.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yep, now OU gets to pay 10+ million a year anyway on a coaching speculation since the coaching salary bar has been significantly raised.  And while they may get the hire right, statistically they are more likely to get it wrong, especially considering their next coach has to navigate the transition to the SEC.

Say what you want about Sark, but if a good head coach's salary is 12 million per year, he's probably getting paid commensurately at 5.7 million.

Nobody says it’s a slam dunk.  My life is fine either way.  Fans are morons, yours truly included.  Riley felt stale.  I was ready to roll the dice before this move and I’m as excited as ever.  I love all of you telling me how scared I should be.  It’s like you forgot how every one of you also thinks.  Mack was run out on a rail.  Stoops had worn his welcome out.  It’s how fans are.  If I had my own 100M riding on it I might be shaking in my boots.  As it is, zero fucks.  Roll them dice.  

edit:  btw huck may be the most milquetoast calculated MF on this entire site and, even though he hates me/OU, he laid out a great case for LR being on the decline.  It is what it is.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Nobody says it’s a slam dunk.  My life is fine either way.  Fans are morons, yours truly included.  Riley felt stale.  I was ready to roll the dice before this move and I’m as excited as ever.  I love all of you telling me how scared I should be.  It’s like you forgot how every one of you also thinks.  Mack was run out on a rail.  Stoops had worn his welcome out.  It’s how fans are.  If I had my own 100M riding on it I might be shaking in my boots.  As it is, zero fucks.  Roll them dice.  

Its just easier to say he didn't want no part of SEC. So why care? I mean would you go on a plane with a pilot afraid to fly?

• Hook 'Em 1

edit:  btw huck may be the most milquetoast calculated MF on this entire site and, even though he hates me/OU, he laid out a great case for LR being on the decline.  It is what it is.  

It shouldn’t but it does amaze me how fans talk about the money as if it’s somehow theirs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

This esteemed lawyer gets it, and some of you should be ashamed that we have to dumb down why Lincoln is a shit bag to something an infant in diapers can understand (instead of the usual explain it like I"m five).

It's not about the fact that he shouldn't be talking to USC. It's not that he's "technically" correct that he wasn't directly speaking with USC until after the Bedlam game. The reason he is a shit bag, among 5,000 other bags of dicks, is that he's trying to lead us all to believe that this whole opportunity emerged out of thin air after the Bedlam game, which is a complete crock of shit, and yes that is still the case after reading the bs post earlier from the USC "insider". It's absolutely impossible for that to have happened that way. There were discussions along the way and it all came together on Sunday, just like every other coaching deal happens.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Colorado used to be a very good program. It's hard to believe, but it's true.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Mack was also the coach for the largest loss in program history against OU. He lost to OU 5 times in a row. We’re talking about Lincoln Riley fucking over OU but you’re here slobbering over Mack’s legacy. Mack is such a bitch I think he would take the OU job because he thinks it will make Texas fans upset. 

You clearly followed along with the progression of the discussion. 

12 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Who's left on the board that would go/jump/nosedive to Mobilehoma besides Vulnerables?.....Muschamp? Fickle? Bill O'Brien? Mullen? Jimbo?  Lulz.

8 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Doesn't LR still have his 2 dogs with him that are named "boomer" and "sooner"?

No way that could end up being awkward in *any* *way* (....like when recruits/players/staff/administration visit him at his houses?)!  Lulz.

My aunt has had a Boomer, a Sooner, and a Norman.  She currently has Riley.  Tough times in the dog world.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5