Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

What's the appeal of USC for a football recruit that part of the country?

If you want the athletics ecosystem, and want to win lose inexplicably to Utah and derail your playoff run, there's Nike World up there in Oregon.

If you care at all about brand name and don't care that you lose to half the Pac 12, David Shaw's been running a good program at Stanford (despite sucking in last few years).

If you want a beautiful campus, where no one gives a shit about football either and opposing fans rush your field and it's cold and raining all the time oh and there's some football history from 30+ years ago too (at least at QB position), Washington is available.

And finally, if you just want to stick around the Los Angeles area... UCLA, yeah that's right the school that can't fill the Rose Bowl and only cares about basketball

Fans are apathetic and the stadium is empty.

They weren't apathetic and the stadium wasn't empty when they played Texas in 2017.

FIFY. USC when they win are a powerhouse, just like Texas. Recruits can look on the Fox pregame every Saturday morning and see two former USC players who are Heisman winners that made it to the NFL and are now big parts of a nationally televised show. Recruits went elsewhere because USC was mediocre. Sounds familiar. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I had to look up who the fuck Dusty Dvoracek is. He's just another border crossing traitor, is he like a big deal on Oklahoma sports radio?

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

While at OU he beat a HS friend with a baseball bat so bad that his friend required hospitalization. Stoops suspended him for a while then invited him back with open arms. He has a show on XM.

Edited by Crapinon
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Why not both?  You think Bob Stoops would've hung around for twenty years if ou were in the SEC.  Now, instead of worrying about Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Florida, aggy (before you laugh they're more willing to devote resources than all but two Pac schools), Tennessee (see aggy), and yes Texas (one day).

In the Pac, his only threat is Oregon and even then I'd much rather be at USC.

Of course Stoops would’ve hung around. Of the first 7-10 years of Stoops’ 17-year tenure, the Big 12 was unquestionably the best conference in the land. Riley isn’t “scared” and to suggest that is laughable. Is he leaving because in part he has an easier path?  Sure. But he’s not scared. 

19 hours ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Since it seemingly only took about 15 seconds for bobby to be named coach for the bowl game, I have to wonder if he was in Phil Fulmer / Barry Alvarez mode, and Lincoln grew tired of his BS.   

I keep imagining bobby on the golf course dressed in OU gear and seeing the OU variation of the batlight go up.  But instead of the bat, its a bag o' dicks.

batlight.jpg.90def57cf4750306a4278d8e22a5cc5c.jpg

16 hours ago, tx ind said:

Reporter asked him how he felt, he said "disappointed but he wouldn't comment on anything personal between him and Lincoln".  Net, did not seem happy.

Stoops' pride has to be unsettled.   He is a lifetime Sooner, for him there is no greater glory than HFC of OU.  He hand picked LR to carry on that tradition.  Either way this comes back on his shoulders.   Either he chose a guy who wasn't going to be able to pull it off and OU secretly wanted gone, or he chose a guy who didn't have the OU of nothing mentality, or both.   Whichever, his personal choice of replacement left him with egg on his face.  

The odd part about it Riley did seem to have down pat the OU tradition of looking like world beaters, but finding creative ways to choke in big games.  I hope he carries that with him to SC as well.

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Dusty Dvoracek was spitting venom like Daffy Duck this morning, all the while saying he wasn't upset. It made for entertaining radio.

Dusty and the whole OU, Gaylord Family, Heisman manipulating crowd are losing the political battle for the first time in a long time.  You walked past Big Red Sports, expolitician (allegedly) having a covey of young men as school president, Austin Box drug party, free gas, star players beating and robbing.

yep these clowns are on the front page.  Cleveland County is losing the ability to cover athletic crime.

Funny to see the professional cheats worried that times have changed and the field is balancing itself.

I have no sympathy for a single land thief and the culture.

Burn baby burn..

• Hook 'Em 5

27 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Of course Stoops would’ve hung around. Of the first 7-10 years of Stoops’ 17-year tenure, the Big 12 was unquestionably the best conference in the land. Riley isn’t “scared” and to suggest that is laughable. Is he leaving because in part he has an easier path?  Sure. But he’s not scared. 

Is that you Mack?  

Lincoln is leaving because he doesn't want to coach in the SEC.  Pretty cut and dry.  Sure was fun when the only other blue blood in your conference has been a hot mess since 2009.  Why do you think Stoops never bailed?  He owned us.  You think Tech or Mizzou scared him?  Baylor and ISU were awful back then.

While at OU he beat a HS friend with a baseball bat so bad that his friend required hospitalization. Stoops suspended him for a while then invited him back with open arms. He has a show on XM.
Thanks, I guess I'm glad I had to look him up. With so many things vying for my limited attention why the f*** would I spend it listening to a dickweed like him...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Don't forget that they blamed it on alcohol and applied for a medical redshirt year for Dvoracek based on alcoholism. Yes, they essentially argued that he deserved an extra year of eligibility because he beat the shit out of someone.

• Hook 'Em 4

Sigh

On whether Riley was always considered for the head coaching position
"Well, similar to what is going on campus associated with any leadership position, President Folt challenged me and said, 'Get the best. Get the best.' So that was Lincoln Riley, no question. So he was No. 1 when obviously that was our goal, no question."

1 hour ago, Native Texas said:

Dusty and the whole OU, Gaylord Family, Heisman manipulating crowd are losing the political battle for the first time in a long time.  You walked past Big Red Sports, expolitician (allegedly) having a covey of young men as school president, Austin Box drug party, free gas, star players beating and robbing.

yep these clowns are on the front page.  Cleveland County is losing the ability to cover athletic crime.

Funny to see the professional cheats worried that times have changed and the field is balancing itself.

I have no sympathy for a single land thief and the culture.

Burn baby burn..

FUCK. YES.

The last 72 hours or so have been the most amazing 72 hours of sports media in Oklahoma since I can remember. The entire OUsux media ecosystem is in full meltdown mode.

We’ve basically reached the point where the company line is that Lincoln Riley is worse than Hilter because he has destroyed the OU program for the foreseeable future.

The fact that we are about to play for the Big 12 title while all of this is going on… I mean it could not be more glorious, and I’m here for all of it.

As you said, BURN, BABY, BURN.

Edited by oSuJeff97
Fuck OU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

FUCK. YES.

The last 72 hours or so have been the most amazing 72 hours of sports media in Oklahoma since I can remember. The entire OUsux media ecosystem is in full meltdown mode.

We’ve basically reached the point where the company line is that Lincoln Riley is worse than Hilter because he has destroyed the OU program for the foreseeable future.

The fact that we are about to play for the Big 12 title while all of this is going on… I mean it could not be more glorious, and I’m here for all of it.

As you said, BURN, BABY, BURN.

Lol.  If this is your sports life high it’s some seriously sad shit.  That’s sadder than all the black Saturdays UT went through.  Yikes

15 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

We’re playing for the Big 12 title with a pretty good chance to make the CFP while our biggest rival is in full meltdown mode because their coach bailed in the most shitty way possible at the exact same time.

Yeah it’s real weird that this would be enjoyable for me, right?

But thanks for your concern.

Oh no. I’m happy for you buddy.  But GREATEST I’ve ever felt?  😂

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh no. I’m happy for you buddy.  But GREATEST I’ve ever felt?  😂

LOL I didn’t say it was the greatest *I’ve* ever felt… I was talking specifically about the meltdown of the dipshit Oklahoma sports media…. Or as I call it the OU media ecosystem.

THAT has been the greatest because all of those people are the most lazy, awful “sports media” people in the country whose entire existence is organized around suckling from the OU football teat.

Hearing those stupid jagoffs flail around since Sunday has been great.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL I didn’t say it was the greatest *I’ve* ever felt… I was talking specifically about the meltdown of the dipshit Oklahoma sports media…. Or as I call it the OU media ecosystem.

THAT has been the greatest because all of those people are the most lazy, awful “sports media” people in the country whose entire existence is organized around suckling from the OU football teat.

Hearing those stupid jagoffs flail around since Sunday has been great.

I’m removed from that.  Believe me when I tell you back in the day it was really not a rivalry.  Not living there and cheering for you all, I get a lot of ‘why do you want anything good for those fucksticks?’   I still don’t get that - usually saved that hate for Texas.  

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Holy shit, just when you couldn’t imagine Lincoln Riley being any more of a shit bag, now he claims his first contact with USC was AFTER the Bedlam game. Absolutely ridiculous. What a punk. 

Well it might be true that the first time “he” talked to a member of the USC AD was Saturday night. But his agent already had. And we damn sure know he is a moron unless he talked to the USC intermediaries well before then…

What's the appeal of USC for a football recruit that part of the country?
If you want the athletics ecosystem, and want to win, there's Nike World up there in Oregon.
If you care at all about brand name, David Shaw's been running a good program at Stanford (despite sucking in last few years).
If you want a beautiful campus, and there's some football history too (at least at QB position), Washington is available.
And finally, if you just want to stick around the Los Angeles area... UCLA.

I lived in California for a big part of my life and USC is like.... who cares?  Fans are apathetic and the stadium is empty.
And UCLA, Tree dont have apathetic fans/empty stadiums? USC is the biggest west coast legacy brand when it comes to football...UCLA is basketball and Stanford is lawyers and weird silicon valley types.

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Holy shit, just when you couldn’t imagine Lincoln Riley being any more of a shit bag, now he claims his first contact with USC was AFTER the Bedlam game. Absolutely ridiculous. What a punk. 

It’s safe to assume his statement was accurate. Find something else to be pissed about.

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m removed from that.  Believe me when I tell you back in the day it was really not a rivalry.  Not living there and cheering for you all, I get a lot of ‘why do you want anything good for those fucksticks?’   I still don’t get that - usually saved that hate for Texas.  

Yeah it certainly matters who you’re around and who you hear from.

I have friends from school who have lived in Austin for like 10-15 years and their animosity has turned way more toward Texas vs. OU just because they aren’t surrounded by Sooner fans telling them they suck all the time… they are surrounded by Texas fans telling them they suck all the time. :)

But I will say that has certainly waned a bit in recent years as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yeah… I don’t think there’s a single person in the country who heard that and believes it. Just absolutely fucking ridiculous.

You did the deed. Be man enough to own it.

From one of SC's top "insiders":

lvloanpro
Posted on 86 mins, V I P, User Since 215 months ago, User Post Count: 566
86 mins
VIP
215 months
Ok here’s what actually happened:

We wanted Fickell. He wouldn’t talk until after the season. That didn’t work for us.

We went after Aranda. He flat out turned us down.

Then we offered Campbell. I heard it was 7.5M for 8 years. He wavered and didn’t decline but also didn’t accept.

Meanwhile, LSU had offered Petersen 12M for 8 years. He said No, he didn’t want to coach anymore. They then offered Riley 12M for 8 years. He didn’t want to go to LSU but he tried to get Oklahoma to match it. Oklahoma essentially said NO.

Well, it just so happened that Riley’s agent is also Donte’s agent. The agent tells Riley “I think I can get that deal for you from USC”. He reached out and somewhere around the 4th qtr of the BYU game Sosna started working on it. They make the deal. I don’t know the numbers but I think it has to be in the 12M neighborhood based on offer from LSU.

Contrary to the chess not checkers and Campbell and Aranda were backups crew, we literally lucked into the greatest hire we’ve made in a generation. They didn’t have discussions prior to Sat night. None.

Regardless. They should be commended for having the balls to pull the trigger on this hire and financial commitment. Optically it shows the whole CFB landscape we are serious about football and true gamers.

Side note: feelers and some dialogue was had with Brian Kelly’s people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ousux said:
6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

And UCLA, Tree dont have apathetic fans/empty stadiums? USC is the biggest west coast legacy brand when it comes to football...UCLA is basketball and Stanford is lawyers and weird silicon valley types.

I mean the totality of the brand, not just football.  And if talking just football, USC - as one of the bluest of the blue bloods - had been pretty dead outside of Carroll era. 

Just now, royiv said:

That's why coaches have agents.

Yeah, that's not the point.

Contracts that complicated for that amount of money do not get drawn up and reviewed by all parties that quickly, and universities damn sure don't spend that much money that quickly.

Lincoln's obviously full of shit.

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Anyone who believes that Riley and USC started talking on Sunday and hammered out a 9-figure deal in a few hours must be completely ignorant of the words "lawyer" and "Board of Regents."

I’m positive Riley isn’t lying - you don’t talk during negotiations. The agent shared interest and then the deal, you talk to finalize. He’s using the same technique when he said he wasn’t leaving OU and specified LSU. 

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

lvloanpro
86 mins
VIP
215 months

We wanted Fickell. He wouldn’t talk until after the season. That didn’t work for us.

Then we offered Campbell. I heard it was 7.5M for 8 years. He wavered and didn’t decline but also didn’t accept.

Meanwhile, LSU had offered Petersen 12M for 8 years. He said No, he didn’t want to coach anymore. They then offered Riley 12M for 8 years. He didn’t want to go to LSU but he tried to get Oklahoma to match it. Oklahoma essentially said NO.

Well, it just so happened that Riley’s agent is also Donte’s agent. The agent tells Riley “I think I can get that deal for you from USC”. He reached out and somewhere around the 4th qtr of the BYU game Sosna started working on it. They make the deal. I don’t know the numbers but I think it has to be in the 12M neighborhood based on offer from LSU.

Contrary to the chess not checkers and Campbell and Aranda were backups crew, we literally lucked into the greatest hire we’ve made in a generation. They didn’t have discussions prior to Sat night. None.

Regardless. They should be commended for having the balls to pull the trigger on this hire and financial commitment. Optically it shows the whole CFB landscape we are serious about football and true gamers.

"Top" insiders.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I’m positive Riley isn’t lying - you don’t talk during negotiations. The agent shared interest and then the deal, you talk to finalize. He’s using the same technique when he said he wasn’t leaving OU and specified LSU. 

Talking to USC through your agent is talking to USC.

He's just trying to make himself look like less of a shitbag about the whole thing.  Which I don't really care about -- I already knew he was a shitbag and this time his shitbaggery may have actually fucked ou for years to come.  So I'm all for it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Talking to USC through your agent is talking to USC.

He's just trying to make himself look like less of a shitbag about the whole thing.  Which I don't really care about -- I already knew he was a shitbag and this time his shitbaggery may have actually fucked ou for years to come.  So I'm all for it.

Eh it’s semantics and he’s technically right. It’s dumb but it’s a dumb original question from whomever asked if he had talked to them. 

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

lvloanpro
86 mins
VIP
215 months

Aranda, Fickell, Campbell, AND Kelly turned them down so they flopped their dick on the table for Riley. 

Damn. Must be nice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Is that you Mack?  

Lincoln is leaving because he doesn't want to coach in the SEC.  Pretty cut and dry.  Sure was fun when the only other blue blood in your conference has been a hot mess since 2009.  Why do you think Stoops never bailed?  He owned us.  You think Tech or Mizzou scared him?  Baylor and ISU were awful back then.

Your perspective on coaches’ mentality is juvenile, and your post is filled with factual errors. Stoops didn’t “own” Texas. He merely had a winning record. I think Mack was 7-9 against OU and Stoops was 11-7 against Texas and 9-6 versus Mack. That’s not owning. During his time there, Nebraska, KSU and Colorado were still very good. And of course Texas a strongish A&M, and the occasional Mizzou, KU, Tech or OSU flare up. 

Taking a path of lesser resistance with a shitload more money is mutually exclusive of being scared or not wanting to coach in a conference. That’s a shit take. 

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Your perspective on coaches’ mentality is juvenile, and your post is filled with factual errors. Stoops didn’t “own” Texas. He merely had a winning record. I think Mack was 7-9 against OU and Stoops was 11-7 against Texas and 9-6 versus Mack. That’s not owning. During his time there, Nebraska, KSU and Colorado were still very good. And of course Texas a strongish A&M, and the occasional Mizzou, KU, Tech or OSU flare up. 

Taking a path of lesser resistance with a shitload more money is mutually exclusive of being scared or not wanting to coach in a conference. That’s a shit take. 

I'm not saying it wasn't a smart move, it is.  He's still a chickenshit.  And you're bringing up KU, Mizzou and Colorado to state your case? Oof.  Mack may be 6-9 vs Stoops, but all people will remember is 63-14, 65-13.  Bob owned Mack.  

Edited by closetohumping

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Serious question for those slamming Riley for making this move/how he made it. How do you think is the "right" way for a coach move from one program to another?

They are supposed to have their agent leak rumors for two weeks so message board limp dicks like ourselves can argue and slap fight about whose “insider” is full of shit, then the coach has to uncomfortably answer questions about the rumors for several press conferences including making non committal/vague statements that sends the message board limp dicks into a fury trying to read between the lines.  

But in this case the only proper way for Riley to move to USC would to have waited until after the bowl game, then take a job in the NFL for a few seasons, Flame out , then. Come back to college.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4