Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Throwing shade at a dead lifelong Sooner seemed like the right move to Bob. 

He's fired up. At least he is loyal to the program. Like Snyder was for KSU. I don't admire Bob but I do appreciate that about him. Nothing like being yanked out of retirement than having your mentee stab you and the program in the back. Whether it was a legit right decision for LR is irrelevant. Whether it is all business, nothing personal is irrelevant. Not many sooner fans will see it that way. Not many programs have had this happen to them so naturally they are pissed. I'd be too but no one wanted/wants our coaching staff. All that hatred will be focused on LR rightly or wrongly. Yikes. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

He's fired up. At least he is loyal to the program. Like Snyder was for KSU. I don't admire Bob but I do appreciate that about him. Nothing like being yanked out of retirement than having your mentee stab you and the program in the back. Whether it was a legit right decision for LR is irrelevant. Whether it is all business, nothing personal is irrelevant. Not many sooner fans will see it that way. Not many programs have had this happen to them so naturally they are pissed. I'd be too but no one wanted/wants our coaching staff. All that hatred will be focused on LR rightly or wrongly. Yikes. 

He should have seen it coming. It is the way of the Sith. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

A bunch of programs have this happen to them every single offseason. The only thing unique in this case is that it's happening to OU.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Of course OU will be fine.  If we get Venables I'll be laughing my ass off as it's a clear upgrade, especially considering the move to the SEC.  LR wanted none of that heat.  Look at that brisket burning bitch run away.  

I can't tell if I should be reading this in your familiar bravado voice or your panic, self loathing, and highly medicated voice. 

Just now, Vertigo said:

I can't tell if I should be reading this in your familiar bravado voice or your panic, self loathing, and highly medicated voice. 

You can read all the posts about me being sick of LR prior to his leaving.  And you can read the first post asking me who I wanted and I said Mark Stoops or Brent Venables.  Not Urban or some other fancy name bullshit.  I mean if you still can't figure out what voice to use, I can't help you. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

$6M house in LA?  This goes for $5.999M in Manhattan Beach.  Totally remodeled interior.  View of the ocean from the rooftop.  Walking distance to the Strand.  Great schools.  Done.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/220-16th-St-Manhattan-Beach-CA-90266/65242331_zpid/

d143f387eac88810d179f76f77232472-uncropp

4e415c9f2481d68db1e38da2d1475cb3-uncropp

and that's just his "work" house... I'm sure the wife and kids family house will be even nicer

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Brent Venables is obviously a clear upgrade at head coach over Lincoln Riley.  Brent Venables did not tuck tail and run from Norman in the middle of the night like a coward.   Brent Venables left Norman, with his head held high like a man of character, as he was fired for poor performance as a football coach. 

I know you like to be funny - and you're pretty good at it.  But the only reason Venables left is because bitchtits Mike Stoops wasn't going anywhere.  And again...LR is a pussy.  You all have said it 1000x here and for the last 2-3 years I agreed...all of a sudden he was the second coming.  LOL

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You can read all the posts about me being sick of LR prior to his leaving.  And you can read the first post asking me who I wanted and I said Mark Stoops or Brent Venables.  Not Urban or some other fancy name bullshit.  I mean if you still can't figure out what voice to use, I can't help you. 

Scorned lover voice. Got it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Didn't Venables get run off  when his defense was getting lit up like a Christmas tree?  He face many high-powered spread offenses in the ACC?  I remember being scared of OU's defenses until Venables got the playcalling duties in 2005 (Mike Stoops and Pelini were the actual DC's when OU fielded elite defenses).  My recollection is he was pretty meh as a playcalling DC in the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

$6M house in LA?  This goes for $5.999M in Manhattan Beach.  Totally remodeled interior.  View of the ocean from the rooftop.  Walking distance to the Strand.  Great schools.  Done.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/220-16th-St-Manhattan-Beach-CA-90266/65242331_zpid/

d143f387eac88810d179f76f77232472-uncropp

4e415c9f2481d68db1e38da2d1475cb3-uncropp

Wow, that's how little you get for $6 mil in Socal these days?

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Didn't Venables get run off  when his defense was getting lit up like a Christmas tree?  He face many high-powered spread offenses in the ACC?  I remember being scared of OU's defenses until Venables got the playcalling duties in 2005 (Mike Stoops and Pelini were the actual DC's when OU fielded elite defenses).  My recollection is he was pretty meh as a playcalling DC in the Big 12.

Venables was the fall guy over the lesser Stoops, but OU's defense took a huge step back when he left. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Brent was solid.  A LOT of OU people were pissed when he was scapegoated for Mike Stoops bullshit.  None of the OU insiders were surprised when he went and that defense helped Clemson rise to the absolute top.  I don't think it's done but I'd love to have him.  I know you folks love big fancy names down in Austin but I don't buy into that being the way. 

Venables would be a home run hire for a middle of the road program who can't afford a sure thing. He seems like a pretty big risk for a program like OU who can go get a sure thing. That said, I thought Tom Herman at Texas was a sure thing and I also thought Lincoln Riley didn't make much sense when OU hired him.

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Venables was the fall guy over the lesser Stoops, but OU's defense took a huge step back when he left. 

That is not true.  Mike Stoops was at Arizona from 2004 to 2011.  Bob brought him back because Venables' defenses were sucking.  Venables immediately left when Stoops came back.  The best defenses OU ever had were the ones coordinated by Stoops and Pelini.

Edited by Johnny Sack

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Brent was solid.  A LOT of OU people were pissed when he was scapegoated for Mike Stoops bullshit.  None of the OU insiders were surprised when he went and that defense helped Clemson rise to the absolute top.  I don't think it's done but I'd love to have him.  I know you folks love big fancy names down in Austin but I don't buy into that being the way. 

Ah yes, us fans in Austin have no experience with hiring a *checks notes* highly regarded coordinator from a national power.  None at all.

38 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

He’s just mad that Lincoln took the last bag of dicks with him to LA.  They should have a fresh bag for Bob in the morning.

the price gouging in the bag o dicks industry is gonna be crazy with the supply chain issues....is there someone we can get on this?

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

That is not true.  Mike Stoops was at Arizona from 2004 to 2011.  Bob brought him back because Venables' defenses were sucking.  Venables immediately left when Stoops came back.  The best defenses OU ever had were the ones coordinated by Stoops and Pelini.

I mean you can look at what Brent has done at Clemson and what Mike has done anywhere.  If you really think Mike was the secret sauce you're about as brain dead as it gets.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

His real value was as a recruiter.  Defensive talent dropped off significantly after he left.  Also recruited very well at Clemson.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Jesus, if Venables comes I’ll be hard for weeks.  Let’s do this Joe!!!

Venables gonna have to find somebody to play good cop. I don’t know if you can be as big of an asshole as he is and have your first HC gig at an elite program

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

His real value was as a recruiter.  Defensive talent dropped off significantly after he left.  Also recruited very well at Clemson.

Yes, amazing recruiter.  Very good coach imo.  And his players love him.  He doesn't kiss them, but you'll have to take my word for it. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

That is not true.  Mike Stoops was at Arizona from 2004 to 2011.  Bob brought him back because Venables' defenses were sucking.

From your prior post, Pelini was at OU for only the 2004 season.  Mike returned after getting fired at Arizona because the defense was good with Mike and Brent, not so good with just Brent.  When Brent left with hurt feelings, Mike's defenses weren't any good either.  Brent somehow had great defenses without Mike.  Brent wasn't doing anything different at Clemson than he did at OU.  The difference makers at Clemson were better than at OU and the offenses in the ACC weren't as good at the Big 12.  Pretty simple that the best coaches seem to have the best players.

33 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Nobody has ever left Texas voluntarily for another football job.  There’s a reason for that.  This hurt their ego

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

MandoFavreau2.gif.44c489bb490c23a3b8664bd5dff9f4b9.gif

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Wow, that's how little you get for $6 mil in Socal these days?

Pretty much. But that’s right by the beach.   I don’t think Lincoln is going to live by the beach.  Strikes me as a guy who wants a lot of space.  But yes that house in king wood is probably 1.8 mil not 6 mil