Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

6 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

It's why leaving was by far the best decision he could have made. He's not winning the SEC regularly the way he did the Big 12. He can do that at USC, but at this point USC would be thrilled to death to win the PAC once every 3 or 4 years. He gets lower expectations, an easier path to national championships, and a ceiling that is just as high as at OU. He also gets more money on top of that.

Have you MET our fans?? The standard is win the PAC every year

1 hour ago, USC_TMB said:

Same guy who took the USC job, then bailed for the NFL before the ink was dry.  Fool me once…

In fairness to Coach Bro, it was a college OC job vs NFL HC job in Phoenix, which is adjacent to all that ASU pussy. That was an even bigger no-brainer than Riley taking the USC HC gig.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

OU had one goal and one goal only during Lincoln's tenure - win a national title.  the Big 12 has been a joke.  it was a cakewalk for them.  they didn't give a flying fuck about winning another Big 12 title.

they had 3 seasons in a row with QBs who are currently starting in the NFL - two of whom were the overall number 1 picks in the league, and a guy taken in the 2nd round.  and they couldn't win a semifinal playoff game.

yeah, i get that UT fans would kill someone for Lincoln's record during that same timeframe.  but OU had totally different expectations than us, and the OU fans that i know were constantly disappointed because they lost the only games that mattered to them - the college football playoff games.  everything was just window dressing.

if you were here during the Mack Brown years, then you should know that winning 10+ games didn't immunize the fans from disappointment.

Give Texas a win over Nebraska and Colorado in 99 and 01 (granted Riley gets credit for the B12CG's he won) and Mack pre-05 isn't that different than Lincoln's run at OU. 

I think there's sort of a disconnect here where we are comparing Lincoln's run to Texas' past decade. There are plenty of Sooner fans disappointed with Lincoln's tenure. Ultimately you aren't shit at OU unless you win a title. Stoops won a title and he was about to get run off.

Mack fucking played for and should have won a title in 09 and we ran him off after 4 more seasons. 

The expectations at Texas and OU used to be similar. I'd argue they still are in some ways although as of now it takes more to get OU's fanbase excited.

Say Sark wins the conference 2 of the next 3 years and makes a couple playoffs only to get smacked in the first round. There 100% would be posters on here wondering if he's the right guy and bitching about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It was easier for us to win national championships in the 90s SWC than the 2000s Big 12, too.  All we had to do was get through aggy and a bunch of really crappy teams.   For that matter, it was easier for us to win championships in the 2010s Big 12 than the 2000s Big 12.  

Except it turned out we got a lot better players and a lot more prestige and pollster love when we were perceived to be playing in the big leagues instead of the second rate conference, and that’s what you need to win championships. 

USC has usually played to the level of the rest of the conference, just like we did.   Somehow it’s not so easy for them to beat all those lame PAC 12 schools just like it’s not so easy for us to beat Iowa State or Baylor.

I throw the BS flag on that. If there was any semblance of competence in UT coaching, it would have been easier in the last 10 years to play for championships, including CFP, in this B12 than in the 90s and 2000s. The 10s B12, outside of OUSux and blips by TCU/Rapelor, should have been tailor-made for several championship runs by UT.  
The lack of prestige and pollster love is entirely due to coaching/development incompetence. If UT were winning 10-12 games in the 2000s B12, it would have gotten all the love it needed. ESPN and the rest of them would LOVE for UT to be back. UT hasn’t held up its end of the bargain. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The train is too far gone now. A lot of it was nonsensical hype but now 90% of high school players in the country have bought into the BS. Being in the SEC helps recruiting, and if your goal is winning a national title then you're going to have to be better than the top SEC teams. USC can be a little different because of location, but Texas can't. 

And this was actually my point, and I just have never seen Riley as having the mentality for it.

In some hypothetical world where I was a highly in demand football coach, I honestly am not sure what decision I would have made. Off hand I think I would have followed the path of least resistance and most money like Riley. But now that I am over 40, I freely admit I don't have the fire of even say 10 years ago, so maybe that's just the laziness talking.

But the greater point is guys who have the mentality to win championships are not fleeing the prospect of playing in the SEC.

21 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

It's why leaving was by far the best decision he could have made. He's not winning the SEC regularly the way he did the Big 12. He can do that at USC, but at this point USC would be thrilled to death to win the PAC once every 3 or 4 years. He gets lower expectations, an easier path to national championships, and a ceiling that is just as high as at OU. He also gets more money on top of that.

And his neighbors will be respectable cokeheads instead of methy trailer trash.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, G650 said:

And this was actually my point, and I just have never seen Riley as having the mentality for it.

In some hypothetical world where I was a highly in demand football coach, I honestly am not sure what decision I would have made. Off hand I think I would have followed the path of least resistance and most money like Riley. But now that I am over 40, I freely admit I don't have the fire of even say 10 years ago, so maybe that's just the laziness talking.

But the greater point is guys who have the mentality to win championships are not fleeing the prospect of playing in the SEC.

Keep in mind it may not have been 100% Riley's decision to stay on at OU long term. There could have been people in his ear already at OU about expectations - let alone after the pokes loss. I'm confident he would survive this season but maybe slip up a bit more and go 9-3 or 8-4 next year with a Texas loss? OU's patience would be paper thin at that point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

OU had one goal and one goal only during Lincoln's tenure - win a national title.  the Big 12 has been a joke.  it was a cakewalk for them.  they didn't give a flying fuck about winning another Big 12 title.

they had 3 seasons in a row with QBs who are currently starting in the NFL - two of whom were the overall number 1 picks in the league, and a guy taken in the 2nd round.  and they couldn't win a semifinal playoff game.

yeah, i get that UT fans would kill someone for Lincoln's record during that same timeframe.  but OU had totally different expectations than us, and the OU fans that i know were constantly disappointed because they lost the only games that mattered to them - the college football playoff games.  everything was just window dressing.

if you were here during the Mack Brown years, then you should know that winning 10+ games didn't immunize the fans from disappointment.

it's almost like winning a national championship is fucking hard or something.

i was around when Mack was here.

Mack won exactly two conference titles in 16 years. Riley won 4 in his first 4. He had huge swings, which Riley didn't

image.png.a3ade74dcd0f5a24ade850d9ca7696b2.png

image.png.523a7f3004bc631ef41c4e889ed125a5.png

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Keep in mind it may not have been 100% Riley's decision to stay on at OU long term. There could have been people in his ear already at OU about expectations - let alone after the pokes loss. I'm confident he would survive this season but maybe slip up a bit more and go 9-3 or 8-4 next year with a Texas loss? OU's patience would be paper thin at that point. 

I'm sure he saw the rockslide that was about to happen and wanted to strike while he was still a big name in coaching and could command a large contract.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's almost like winning a national championship is fucking hard or something.

i was around when Mack was here.

Mack won exactly two conference titles in 16 years. Riley won 4 in his first 4. He had huge swings, which Riley didn't

image.png.a3ade74dcd0f5a24ade850d9ca7696b2.png

image.png.523a7f3004bc631ef41c4e889ed125a5.png

OU doesn't play football to win conference titles. Especially in a dogshit conference like the B12 has been since TCU and Baylor were any good. All they care about is the season highlighted in orange and the one that should have been highlighted in orange 4 rows beneath that. Lincoln didn't have one season like either of those in 5 years. 

Also - Mack was rebuilding the program from 98 to 03. Lincoln didn't have to rebuild shit. Mack had 3 1 loss and one undefeated season in the next 6 years. Lincoln has had 0. 

Edited by ztejas

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Certainly could be the case, but that is only reinforcing what I am saying about him.

Just now, ztejas said:

OU doesn't play football to win conference titles. Especially in a dogshit conference like the B12 has been since TCU and Baylor were any good. All they care about is the season highlighted in orange and the one that should have been highlighted in orange 4 rows beneath that. Lincoln didn't have one season like either of those in 5 years. 

well those guys have the exact same number of national championships in the last 20 years as Texas. they also only have 2 NCs in the last 40 years (1 more than Texas there too)

...maybe they should more accurately and realistically set their expectations in the national championship department.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I don’t get the anger directed at LR. This is business. Just as the decision to join the Sec is business.

Well in Oklahoma it’s like your sister making out with your other brother instead of you.  Some things are sacred.  It’s kinda of a hillbilly no no unless you’re the other brother.  

Edited by stork642
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

...maybe they should more accurately and realistically set their expectations in the national championship department.

oh absolutely.  i'm just saying that Lincoln was always going to be compared to Bud Wilkinson, Barry, and Stoops among the OU faithful.  and for those folks, they only care about crystal balls (or whatever fucking trophy they give for national titles these days).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Well if OU did replace LR with Venables that’s pretty damn good job on ADs part. I wish I could be a fly on the wall for Bob’s war room for the bowl game with whatever assembled staff…

it's not a bad move. lets Venables focus on recruiting and getting the operation up and going.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

oh absolutely.  i'm just saying that Lincoln was always going to be compared to Bud Wilkinson, Barry, and Stoops among the OU faithful.  and for those folks, they only care about crystal balls (or whatever fucking trophy they give for national titles these days).

Golden dongs or whatever this phallic symbol is supposed to be

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FHtcW8KjUihA%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&sp=1638218978T98d2eb1124214593778c45b05b67fe0990c273b5d0528d9f875b5231abfc59a6

8 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Whatever you do. Don’t look up the value of it today lol.  I have some friends that bought a house in Torrance for 800K just to tear it down so they can build what they want haha 

Man, I know. It was a lousy little house on a mediocre street (Oak Ave) in a great neighborhood in MB. If I could have held onto that place when we moved I would have. It was bought by our rich next door neighbor and torn down. It’s a basketball court now. I can’t complain too much, we still live in CA just in the East Bay. Our house up here has done well for us.

I was just literally laughing at the faux concern that if Riley bought a house on the beach in MB that he could lose as much as A MILLION DOLLARS in value on the house on a whim. Of course, that would be less than 10% of the value of the home, but A MILLION DOLLARS! If he buys on the upswing, the house will be worth more than $1mm than what he paid for it in a couple years, plus you get to stare at the ocean for the whole time you live there.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's not a bad move. lets Venables focus on recruiting and getting the operation up and going.

With how quickly this went down, I would imagine it will take Venables a bit to get his staff put together. All that being said, I feel like this is a respectable hire but a definite step back. 

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean - this can all be summed up really fucking easily. How many of you would trade the '05 season for EVERYTHING OU has done since 2000? 

We get their NC in 2000? If so, absofuckinglutely I trade 2005 for everything they've done from 2000-now, namely win 14 Big 12 titles and post a 16-7 record against Texas. We also wouldn't have abject dog-shit history since 2010. Is this a real question?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

From someone in the room...he didn't walk out, he was forced out.  He started to cry while telling the team, and Demarco Murray cut him off and had a few choice words for him.  Told him to cut the bullshit and GTFO, called him fake, and said he made a choice and to quit crying.  A few seconds later Nick Bonitto dropped an F U and left the room.  That's when Lincoln walked out.

I hope it destroys that team

• Haha 1