Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I wonder what this means for the Coleman twins?  Fasusi and Rogers are a high probability to be the Tackle takes, and feels like Flood/Sark are all in on John Mills.

I think Christian will slide into guard at the next level. He'll be nasty there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

JC seemed like one of this year’s “get in the boat early before we run out of room due to higher-ranked guys” commitments. Similar to Kibble last year.

That being said, I think he could be a real asset as a nasty IOL. He plays with a great motor. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Bevo said:

Our interior targets are Mills, JackC, and Coleman and Coleman? And our tackle targets are Fasusi, and Rogers?

Way it looks.  Nick Brooks visited for the spring game and is taking an OV next month and is an obvious take.  Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's down to us or LSU for this kid, right? And we lead heavily?
I'm quite sure aggy thinks they lead. I mean a recruit would have to be nuts to smell what the Elk has cookin and say no, right?

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

"Make no mistake, Jackson Christian is a nice prospect, but Mike Elko and Adam Cushing got the guys they wanted in Conner Carty, Jonte Newman, and keeping Joshua Moses in the boat.  There's a reason these guys are already committed as that's who Elko and Cushing pushed hard for to jump on board.  If Elko had made a push, I truly believe Christian would be donning the maroon and white right now." - Looch

This is so on the nose, that I can't tell if this quote is real or if you made it up. Either way, it's hilarious.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

"Make no mistake, Jackson Christian is a nice prospect, but Mike Elko and Adam Cushing got the guys they wanted in Conner Carty, Jonte Newman, and keeping Joshua Moses in the boat.  There's a reason these guys are already committed as that's who Elko and Cushing pushed hard for to jump on board.  If Elko had made a push, I truly believe Christian would be donning the maroon and white right now." - Looch

Mack vs. RC all over again. Eat the CFS, and let Elko have the crumbs from the floor, and a drop of gravy.

CHIEF

59 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

was hoping Tyler Thomas would be included in this class but it feels like he's on the outside looking in now :(

Seems like we're ok with that.

• Like 1

What’s the story with Jackson? His offer list is very weak, and I believe CTJ said Texas would have their pick at OL this recruiting cycle. I wonder what they see in him that others don’t. 

Also, is anyone knowledgeable about how OU recruits OL? Despite the coaching changes over the years, they seem to always have a guy or two drafted. In the back of my mind, I vaguely remember them taking primarily tackles and turning them into interior lineman but I may be thinking of some other program. 

42 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What’s the story with Jackson? His offer list is very weak, and I believe CTJ said Texas would have their pick at OL this recruiting cycle. I wonder what they see in him that others don’t. 

Also, is anyone knowledgeable about how OU recruits OL? Despite the coaching changes over the years, they seem to always have a guy or two drafted. In the back of my mind, I vaguely remember them taking primarily tackles and turning them into interior lineman but I may be thinking of some other program. 

Big, decently strong, stand up too high on blocks, doesn't get great drive, decent but not tackle feet. He is similar to Mills. He plays tackle now but will do well at guard and seems to have the tools to be a P5 starter.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

If it helps, I don’t like the take. Flood summoned the spirit of Herb Hand with this offer. Jagson Christian will likely be my least favorite take in this class. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Rage+1 1

Jackson Christian's film is pretty good and he had a damn near dominating performance at a camp last summer at Texas. They offered him early and stuck with their eval, I have no problem with that. 

He looks more athletic and more lengthy than Cole Hutson, even though they are similar in their disposition and playstyle.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

aggy is like a bad, recurring boil: always going to be there, can't ignore it, seems like it's improving only because of absence of being usually fucked up. 

I don't think aggy will suck under their new, obese, slack-jawed and empty-eyed coach, but I don't think they'll be good, either. 

Mediocrity, thy name is aggy.

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

If I had to guess, he’s the 5th or 6th guy in a 6 OL class and the staff believes he’ll be patient and provide depth until he’s ready to play as a 4th or 5th year guy. If we get guys like Fasusi and Lamont Rogers, then this is a good take. If he becomes the 3rd or 4th OL in the class, it would be more of a problem. 

The other part is Flood is a size queen and seems ok with overlooking certain issues if he thinks the guy can play at 325+. I don’t like all of Flood’s evals, and I think he overrates size. However, he’s also clearly good at coaching the OL.

His evals are a bit more of an open question as the only guys he’s recruited that have actually played are 5 stars. We haven’t seen him eval/develop his lower takes yet. Cam Williams will be the first one this fall, and he looked good in the Spring game.  But if we can keep landing guys like Banks, Baker, and Fasusi, who have size and all the other traits you’d want, it won’t matter too much. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.on3.com/db/dijon-lee-157947/

On3 prospect "analysis"

Fluid and long-limbed corner prospect who can turn and mirror wide receivers at the highest level. Extremely impressive physical specimen for the position measuring in at 6-foot-4, 185 pounds during summer campus visits. Tested well in explosive drills during camp settings. Testing translates to the track as well jumping 20-foot-10 in the long jump and 44-foot-6 in the triple jump during his sophomore track and field season. High points and breaks up passes with his length and reactive quickness. Solid run support defender who is more than willing to play downhill. Upside is tremendous. Could potentially kick to safety down the line if he adds significant mass.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If it helps, I don’t like the take. Flood summoned the spirit of Herb Hand with this offer. Jagson Christian will likely be my least favorite take in this class. 

I think there’s merit in taking a Golden Triangle Shane Dronett style sociopath in every class and maybe this one is it for ‘25.  You can always get rid of them later when they get arrested or caught ripping the door off some poor girls room at Hardin House.  

On the other hand, Dronett NEVER took a photo like this…

image.png.7ba83009e40ed4482fcd865ded582f80.png

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If I had to guess, he’s the 5th or 6th guy in a 6 OL class and the staff believes he’ll be patient and provide depth until he’s ready to play as a 4th or 5th year guy. If we get guys like Fasusi and Lamont Rogers, then this is a good take. If he becomes the 3rd or 4th OL in the class, it would be more of a problem. 

The other part is Flood is a size queen and seems ok with overlooking certain issues if he thinks the guy can play at 325+. I don’t like all of Flood’s evals, and I think he overrates size. However, he’s also clearly good at coaching the OL.

His evals are a bit more of an open question as the only guys he’s recruited that have actually played are 5 stars. We haven’t seen him eval/develop his lower takes yet. Cam Williams will be the first one this fall, and he looked good in the Spring game.  But if we can keep landing guys like Banks, Baker, and Fasusi, who have size and all the other traits you’d want, it won’t matter too much. 

Cole Hutson started nearly his entire true freshman season as a 3 star guy. Agbo has shown signs of productivity as well. Robertson basically played the entire OU game.

A lot of the other guys are showing flashes in practice as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It seems to me that size and some baseline athleticism provides a pretty high floor. I think the days of guys like Dan Neil are gone with Flood and may be gone in most of college and pro football. Obviously, guys like Neil could succeed in the NFL but they just aren't being recruited because there are so few hits and many, many misses. Scheme plays a role as well.

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Cole Hutson started nearly his entire true freshman season as a 3 star guy. Agbo has shown signs of productivity as well. Robertson basically played the entire OU game.

A lot of the other guys are showing flashes in practice as well.

I never said he’s bad at eval/developing, just that it’s an open question. Your examples of guys being thrown in early due to roster issues or being in a large TE package don’t mean much. His evals/development are still an open question. We’ll get plenty of answers this year and next. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Not to poo-poo on the idea because Flood might very well be Alex Gibbs or Joe Bugel level great, but citing a Ketchum level hack who is principally using years of experience at a high profile program as his metric isn’t a great way to support it.  

I think if anything, we’ve learned that the recruiting services are pretty bad evaluators of high school line play and that it might be true that Flood isn’t ONLY hunting 5-stars.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

You should probably stick to posting month old information on aggy commits. SI is a terrible source to cite and that list is shit. Like I’ve already said, there’s no doubt Flood is great at coaching OL.

His evals/development of the guys he recruited is the only open question, and I don’t expect it to be an issue. We just haven’t seen much yet. The only 2 guys who’ve started that he recruited are 5 stars who didn’t take much evaluation skill. One of them was a no doubter from the day he stepped on campus, and the other is still a very flawed OL who needs to continue to develop in order to become an above average or better player. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I never said he’s bad at eval/developing, just that it’s an open question. Your examples of guys being thrown in early due to roster issues or being in a large TE package don’t mean much. His evals/development are still an open question. We’ll get plenty of answers this year and next. 

You don't have to move goalposts when you make a mistake. Just admit the error, then modify the point you were trying to make.

You literally said "His evals are a bit more of an open question as the only guys he’s recruited that have actually played are 5 stars. We haven’t seen him eval/develop his lower takes yet."

Come on, man. It's not a big deal.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

You don't have to move goalposts when you make a mistake. Just admit the error, then modify the point you were trying to make.

You literally said "His evals are a bit more of an open question as the only guys he’s recruited that have actually played are 5 stars. We haven’t seen him eval/develop his lower takes yet."

Come on, man. It's not a big deal.

I didn’t move the goalposts. None of the examples you gave are meaningful data points on his evals.  Hutson was terrible as a true freshman, which isn’t his fault. He played because our OL room was shit, but it doesn’t answer much about evals/development. Hutson’s now going into this third year and not slated to start at this point (though he could by Fall if he’s healthy) so he’s still a question mark. Robertson playing part of one game and being serviceable but not good and Agbo averaging one snap per game as a big TE are also not meaningful data points. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

A few notes, Blackie Sherrod style (Hacky Sherrod?): 

Sports Illustrated is pure shit now, when it’s not AI (documented) it’s worse than early days Bleacher Report, paying kids a couple bucks to write fan fiction.

My best indicator Flood can coach doesn’t come from watching the younger players, but seeing Christian Jones’ development and hearing Tope Imade talk about the difference between Flood and his other coaches. 

I think Jackson Christian is the kid with the mom who looked like she was having the time of her life on the (what was it?) Junior Day trip. I suspected he would be Texas-bound if he got a commit-able offer (“commitable” doesn’t appear to be a real word) , ‘cause mom wants to continue the party in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I didn’t move the goalposts. None of the examples you gave are meaningful data points on his evals.  Hutson was terrible as a true freshman, which isn’t his fault. He played because our OL room was shit, but it doesn’t answer much about evals/development. Hutson’s now going into this third year and not slated to start at this point (though he could by Fall if he’s healthy) so he’s still a question mark. Robertson playing part of one game and being serviceable but not good and Agbo averaging one snap per game as a big TE are also not meaningful data points. 

Must be hard to go through life trying so hard to avoid admitting error. Do you, bud. 

I disagree with the point you were trying to make.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Jackson Christian's film is pretty good and he had a damn near dominating performance at a camp last summer at Texas. They offered him early and stuck with their eval, I have no problem with that. 

He looks more athletic and more lengthy than Cole Hutson, even though they are similar in their disposition and playstyle.

And he probably wont transfer early so a good depth piece until he's ready.

• Hook 'Em 1