Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I haven't been this stoked about where we're headed as a program since 04-05. 

I'm even a little more so excited this time.  For the first time, we're competing with a competitive edge in recruiting.  Even when Mack was bringing in all those blue chip classes, we weren't playing the bag game at anywhere near an elite level.  Now w/ NIL, we are the 900 lb gorilla.  

SEC....

image.png.18b236f1d5ab4247b32e28a1f52def8e.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'm even a little more so excited this time.  For the first time, we're competing with a competitive edge in recruiting.  Even when Mack was bringing in all those blue chip classes, we weren't playing the bag game at anywhere near an elite level.  Now w/ NIL, we are the 900 lb gorilla.  

SEC....

image.png.18b236f1d5ab4247b32e28a1f52def8e.png

My anus is prepared and engaged now that we've added money to the game. 

IMG_8857.gif

Bobby Burton: Sunday

The first Junior Day of the year occurred yesterday. And it was considered “successful”. So how many commitments did the Longhorns grab? Five? Seven? Ten? Nope. Just one emerged. And it really should be no surprise to close onlookers of the program. That’s how Steve Sarkisian plays it. When it comes to recruiting and Sark, patience isn’t just a buzzword, it’s a way of life. Yet there are different ways to look at his patience. Sark and running back coach Tashard Choice took that one commitment not from a player in the upcoming 2025 class, but a running back in 2026, Aledo’s speedy Raycine Guillory Jr.

Perhaps that’s how the Horns want to play it. Take a player who wants to sign two years from now, yet a pledge from a 2025 player is just too soon. How does that jibe with Sark’s “patient”recruiting style? Here’s how: The immediate class needs more detailed introspection. While we all know a commitment two years from now doesn’t always stick, one in the ‘25 class is very likely to. So Sark is actually playing the long game yet again. Better to be thorough on the front end, especially on decisions that will impact your program sooner. It’s a simple, proven concept. And Sark’s not changing, not until he has truly surveyed the landscape, met with a multitude of recruits and is ready to pull the trigger.

Sark and recruiting, I just never get the feeling that he pushes the panic button. He’s willing to play the long game. Always.

New scholarship offers for class of 2025:

• ATH, Michael Terry Jr., San Antonio Alamo Heights
  • RB, Rickey Wright, Tyler Chapel Hill
  • OL Ryan Frodje, Cypress Bridgeland
  • OL, Connor Carry, Prosper
  • DL, Gustavo Cordova, Lake Travis

We’ll have more from junior day later today.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Blake Munroes notes on yesterdays Junior Day.

Spoiler

This morning I spoke with a handful of prospects who were on campus yesterday at Texas.  Here are a couple of highlights from those conversation.

- Missouri City (Hightower) 2025 four-star safety Kade Phillips had a good time on his visit.  He mentioned that the overall environment of the day was a major positive and that he was treated well. He will visit Texas A&M and Baylor next weekend.

- Henry Harris is a name to keep an eye on for the 2026 class.  The 6-foot-5, 180-pound wide receiver from San Marcos met with Texas wide receivers coach Chris Jackson for quite some time yesterday and it sounds like that made a strong impression on him.  Harris currently holds offers from California, Texas Tech and Texas State, but that should change this spring.  It's obviously very early in his recruitment and his stock should blow up in the near future.

- Prosper 2026 OT Zaden Krempin was one of many talented offensive linemen on campus yesterday and met up with Texas OL Daniel Cruz while there.  The two have trained with each other for the past two years and Cruz has been in his ear about the Longhorns. He said that, after visiting, he can easily see why Cruz decided to go to Texas.  Krempin already holds 14 offers from the likes of Florida State, Missouri, Texas A&M, Ole Miss and more.  He will visit Texas A&M and Arkansas next, with plans to return to Austin in the near future.  His current leaders are TCU, Texas A&M and SMU.

- QB recruiting seems to always happen very early and that's the case with Waco University 2027 prospect Savoy Nichols.  He already has the size, as he measured in at 6-foot-4, 172-pounds yesterday on campus.  Nichols met with both AJ Milwee and Tashard Choice and raved about both coaches, along with his visit.  He was invited back to take part in their first camp in a couple of months. Oklahoma, TCU, Nebraska, Baylor and Kansas are already showing interest, but he has no plans to visit elsewhere at this time.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Wild if 4 of the first 5 commits are out of state.

well we know one subs that will be milking that all off season "Red Flags for lack of top 30 TX commits"

and wonder how the TXHSFB coaches feel..

53 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

well we know one subs that will be milking that all off season "Red Flags for lack of top 30 TX commits"

and wonder how the TXHSFB coaches feel..

The junior day was about 90% Texas kids. It won't be a concern except to the fact that our foes will try to make it be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Kelvion Riggins (LB) from Forney has an offer from UT.  He was 6-5A D-II first-team selection at defensive end. 

This young man is still a sophomore? 

Kelvion Riggins.jpg

Kelvion Riggins 2.jpg

Verbal to tamu

10 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Kelvion Riggins (LB) from Forney has an offer from UT.  He was 6-5A D-II first-team selection at defensive end. 

This young man is still a sophomore? 

Kelvion Riggins.jpg

Kelvion Riggins 2.jpg

class of 2025 = juniors.

At 5'11" he'd fit at A&M. They've turned York's mini stature into some sort of super power that propels him to be the best gosh dern freshman linebacker any eyes have ever seen

Stampede

The Texas Longhorns have been red hot in the transfer portal and after hosting nearly 100 recruits on Saturday the Longhorns are rolling on the high school trail as they've picked up picked up two commitments since Saturday.

So what's the latest on the most important targets that hit the Forty Acres on Saturday?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we break down the latest on Saturday's top visitors and go in-depth on Texas' newest commitments.

Dorian Brew, CB, Conroe

The highest-rated 2025 recruit in attendance on Saturday was five-star cornerback Dorian Brew out of Conroe. The big news entering the weekend was the 6-foot-2, 185-pound prospect delaying a Jan. 24 commitment. The consensus belief until recently was that Brew would join Ohio State’s class. The 247Sports Crystal Ball favors the Buckeyes at 100 percent. Brew is an OSU legacy and Ryan Day and staff have been pressing to pull him out of Texas. The Longhorns are doing their best Lee Corso “not so fast!” in this one, though. Speaking with sources coming out of the weekend, the feeling is Texas impressed the five-star prospect, so much so that UT is expecting him back in the future. Brew got plenty of face time with the staff including Steve Sarkisian and Blake Gideon. While the event ended at 2 p.m., Brew was on campus until close to 6 p.m.. This will be a recruitment we’ll be tracking much closer now with the latest developments.

Jordon Davison, RB, Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei

The Longhorns entered the weekend in good shape for the Mater Dei running back. And after talking with sources, I don’t feel anything has changed. If anything, Texas helped itself more for the nation’s No. 2 ball carrier. Why? While Davison has been to Austin about a half dozen times himself, this weekend was the first time his family got to see campus. And UT left a very strong impression. As noted, Texas was already trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. No decision date is in place, but the Longhorns will remain on the shortlist for the duration of Davison’s recruitment. He’ll be back for an official visit, likely in the summer.

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney

Texas is doing a great job recruiting four-star linebacker Riley Pettijohn. The McKinney standout has been to Austin a handful of times, including this past weekend. New assistant Johnny Nansen made a great first impression with the borderline five-star, and has Texas strongly in contention. Pettijohn will take his time and travel to see more schools, but I’d be hard-pressed to pick against Texas if today were commitment day for the 6-foot-2, 205-pounder.

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (FL) Eau Gallie — Texas commit

Texas defensive line commit Brandon Brown was unable to make it out to Austin for what would have been his first visit to the Forty Acres. The Florida native pledged to the Longhorns in December in large part due to Bo Davis and his track record in developing defensive linemen. Brown is staying patient and seeing who Texas hires. Not making it out to Austin this weekend was indicative of how he feels about Texas, though. He has a travel basketball team that takes up a lot of his time on the weekends. His team is playing in Houston and Dallas coming up in March and April, so it’s likely he’ll be making it over to Austin then. Brown’s been in communication with the Texas staff every day recently. We’ll see how this one plays out and how the new defensive line coach affects his pledge.

TWO NEW COMMITS

Raycine Guillory (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
The Longhorns received two commitments coming out of Saturday’s Junior Day that should bolster Texas’ 2025 and 2026 recruiting classes for years to come with the additions of touted Aledo 2026 RB Raycine Guillory and Texarkana Pleasant Grove Top247 DL Lance Jackson.

Even though both prospects were never really on the radars of Texas recruiting fans in terms of giving commitments to the burnt orange this early, both Guillory and Jackson told Horns247 before announcing their respective commitments that their decisions weren’t planned and that both prospects essentially “got a feeling” and made spur of the moment decisions to shut it down so early.

Most Texas fans will probably have hesitance with Guillory’s commitment due to him being an unranked 2026 prospect who had only visited the Forty Acres just once before Saturday’s visit, but I’d expect Guillory to remain pretty firm on his commitment as long as Tashard Choice is coaching running backs at Texas. 

With Texas being a program that aims to sign two running backs each recruiting cycle, Guillory’s early commitment gives Tashard Choice extra time to decide on who his running back partner will be in the 2026 class. 

Now Choice is tasked with the same problem the Texas staff has dealt with in the transfer portal — having only so many spots. Choice can’t take every running back that wants to commit and since he’s already taken one commitment that means he’ll have to be selective with how he decides to fill the second running back spot in the 2026 class.

While it’s still early, Forney’s Javian Osborne, Texarkana Texas High’s Tradarian Ball, and Carthage’s KJ Edwards have all already been offered by Texas with all three having already expressed major interest in the Longhorns by visiting campus at least twice.

Edwards is a harder read than Osborne or Ball, but at this point it seems like Texas is setting the pace for both Osborne and Ball, and largely due to Tashard Choice — are we surprised?

Now it’s up to Choice to continue recruiting the running backs that have already been offered while also spending time evaluating backs that could receive a Texas offer down the road.

If you take away the positional value the quarterback position has, Lance Jackson’s commitment is the most important pledge Texas has received so far in the 2025 cycle, at least in my opinion.

Bodies and athletes like Jackson along the line of scrimmage are needed to be competitive in the SEC and the Longhorns receiving his commitment this early shows the Longhorns’ hot streak on the recruiting trail has continued into the 2025 cycle.

Jackson was a guy I had labeled as a Texas lean and was someone I expected to eventually end up in the Longhorns’ 2025 class after speaking with him on Nov. 16 following Pleasant Grove’s 63-10 win over Caddo Mills.

Even though the commitment came earlier than I or most others originally anticipated, I expect Jackson to remain solid to his pledge to the Longhorns. 

Prior to giving his commitment, the four-star spoke about how he was tired of the recruiting process having seemingly been through basically two recruitments already due to his brother Landon Jackson being one of the top prospects in the 2021 cycle.

Lance also often spoke about wanting to take official visits as soon as he possibly could with the goal of committing immediately after officials had been taken, but after he got on the Texas campus on Saturday he figured why not go ahead and shut it down since he had known Texas had been his favorite for months with the thought process of “why not go ahead and knock it out”.

Arkansas and Tennessee seemed to be the only schools that gave Texas competition in Jackson’s recruitment and the four-star took fall unofficial visits to both Fayetteville and Knoxville prior to deciding to commit to Texas.

While I don’t expect Jackson to become a peer recruiter to the degree of Trey Owens or other guys who have committed to Texas in the past, I do expect him to become one of the leaders of this class.

In the handful of times I’ve seen him in person, Jackson comes off as a natural leader and as someone you want as one of the faces of your program. Ask anyone who’s spent time around him and they’ll reciprocate the same message. — Scruggs

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Had no idea Murphy was that young. Yeah, he’s going to continue to fly up draft boards.

Coming into UT with an associates degree is pretty much all I would need to see if I were doing a character eval. 

• Hook 'Em 1