Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

On 3/14/2024 at 6:25 PM, mr. sunshine said:

I've got a buddy about a decade older than me who attended in the 70s. Plan II and obviously whip smart. Graduated law school with honors here while my not so smart ass was relegated to Lubbock when the powers that be finally detected my dumbassedness.

Anyway I've got friends who attended in the 70s, 80s (me), 90s etc. and they all had fond memories but the 70s absolutely ruled. Best movies, TV and music ever

I have to admit, I'm very curious about what it's like now. I'm sure the music isn't close any of those eras (not even the early 2000s when I was there and we got to see acts like the Murder City Devils, the Toadies, Metric, Polyphonic Spree, Reggie and the Full Effect, Belle & Sebastian, Against Me!, etc. pretty regularly for pretty cheap). And we made it a point see George Clinton annually plus Snoop, Weezer/Jimmy Eat World, the Foo Fighters, and the Smashing Pumpkins when they came (I think that list sounds right? I may have the years mixed up. I too was filled with drugs). My nearing college-age kids still wear shirts for those bands (plus folks like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, the National), so I'm sure there's at least some good music floating around here in Austin that the olds like me just aren't aware of. 

The massive uptick in corporatization sucks complete ass but it is interesting to me that there are still a lot of great local food options, including some that are still somehow affordable. Plus, while we're on the subject of drugs, any idiot with a credit card (physical or digital), an internet connection, and a mailing address (even a dorm based one) can get pretty much whatever they want shipped them overnight these days - and you don't even have to use the Dark Web because there are a LOT of "research chemicals" sitting in a legal gray zone that are every bit as fun and interesting as the ones they can actually arrest you for - and did I mention that that they're inexpensive? Sometimes very much so.

Forget Delta 8, 9, whatever - put 65 mg of 4-HO-MET under your tongue or snort 175 mg of 2-Fluorodeschloroketamine some time and tell me you didn't have a completely (mostly) legal religious experience that was just as good as anything you ever got from the very illegal parent chemicals. Throw in some methallylescaline with that 4-HO-MET and... whoa. WAY better than any illegal candy flip you've ever had. There's a HUGE blind spot in federal law for this stuff and the lone attempt to actually sort of fix it was, in my professional legal opinion, very, very much unconstitutionally vague. And it wound up not even applying to the vast majority of these chemicals.

TV and movies? ¡No problemo! Again, with an internet connection and a password from mom and dad or a buddy and you've got access to whatever you want. Sure, the actual cinema blows. But there are still occasional bright spots. And with respect to TV, there's probably more good shows out there right now, old and new, than even the laziest, most couch-attached college kid could actually sit and binge.   

Anyway, like I said, I think things here are still interesting and "weird" in ways that olds like me probably haven't anticipated. And in ways that are still very Austin and very UT. So if you'll excuse me, my Fluorexetamine appears to be wearing off and now I'm confused and possibly lost. 

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.4f0918dc48f34de6bd2278ada7145e8a.png

image.thumb.png.df074f27bc48e5c577c7f65dbfc25e70.png

image.thumb.png.1caa45063e2c659527420941c5572b67.png

Good list of offers:

image.png.d76bf9d5eceb06e923868dc53f9397e0.png

image.png.b9e0c87f80efdbff0622976b75a3132b.png

According to the Dbeasy Name-Based Recruiting Ranking System (NBRRS), we have a problem here. The name John Mills had an outstanding chance of being a great interior lineman name. The problem is that face and hair does not match the name. I’ve thus lowered his projected success (PSF) factor accordingly.

In other news, Kelshaun Johnson has a sky high rating and projected success factor, with the only concern the slight similarity to Keyshawn Johnson. However his hair is perfect. Get him asap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I'm honestly shocked Murray isn't a better coach and recruiter.  I'm glad he's not but it's a bit surprising to me.

Don't tell sooner fans that..  Barnes, Sawchuk and....TATUM (the #1 RB) show that he is elite.. or so they have told me many times on twitter

I like Mills's tape. Classic brawler. Looks underrated as a mid 3-star. The tape is mostly him mauling guys in run blocking, but I think he moves his feet and bends well enough to stick at RT.

The tape I watched was pretty zoomed out so it's hard to tell, but frame looks like it doesn't have a ton of room to add good weight. On the other hand, he already looks bigger than his listed 290, unless he's just playing with and against midgets.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I like Mills's tape. Classic brawler. Looks underrated as a mid 3-star. The tape is mostly him mauling guys in run blocking, but I think he moves his feet and bends well enough to stick at RT.

The tape I watched was pretty zoomed out so it's hard to tell, but frame looks like it doesn't have a ton of room to add good weight. On the other hand, he already looks bigger than his listed 290, unless he's just playing with and against midgets.

They’re recruiting him as an IOL, apparently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Forget Delta 8, 9, whatever - put 65 mg of 4-HO-MET under your tongue or snort 175 mg of 2-Fluorodeschloroketamine some time and tell me you didn't have a completely (mostly) legal religious experience that was just as good as anything you ever got from the very illegal parent chemicals. Throw in some methallylescaline with that 4-HO-MET and... whoa. WAY better than any illegal candy flip you've ever had. There's a HUGE blind spot in federal law for this stuff and the lone attempt to actually sort of fix it was, in my professional legal opinion, very, very much unconstitutionally vague. And it wound up not even applying to the vast majority of these chemicals

bb-yeah-science.gif

• Haha 3

This is the 12th post on this page of this thread. 

Post 1) Confuses an English philosopher with a football recruit with a completely different surname.

Post 2) Covers recruiting forecast changes for previously referenced recruit.

Post 3) A meditation on Austin then vs. now as seen through the lens of the author of the Anarchist Cookbook.

Post 4) Exploring a new ranking system, as arbitrary as any other.

Post 5) Someone analyzes what sooners think of Demarco Murray on Twitter in regard to recruiting.

Post 6) Brief analysis of recently discussed recruit's film and upside.

Post 7) Pedantic clarification of position target for said recruit.

Post 8 ) Nervous posting of a witty-ish gif in response to Anarchist Cookbook post.

Post 9) Someone wants to get high on kitchen cleaning products.

Post 10) Reference to some Austin politician's forehead that idiots on Surly have been obsessing over for years.

Post 11) Further tie-out between the Austin politician and the most important English philosopher of the 19th century. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Post 1) Confuses an English philosopher with a football recruit with a completely different surname.

Post 3) A meditation on Austin then vs. now as seen through the lens of the author of the Anarchist Cookbook.

Post 5) Someone analyzes what sooners think of Demarco Murray on Twitter in regard to recruiting.

Post 8 ) Nervous posting of a witty-ish gif in response to Anarchist Cookbook post.

Post 10) Reference to some Austin politician's forehead that idiots on Surly have been obsessing over for years.

Post 11) Further tie-out between the Austin politician and the most important English philosopher of the 19th century. 

dumb-and-dumber-mr-perfect.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

cc10dbe25a5d7cad37e37045d731d182b4bae494

• Haha 1

Five-star prospect on Texas: 'Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that receiver room?'

Hank South (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Five-star prospect on Texas: 'Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that receiver room?'

Hank South (Horns 247)

SPRING, Texas — Five-star wide receiver Kaliq Lockett is big on relationships when it comes to his recruitment, and with Texas he has just that.

“Me and Coach (Chris) Jackson, we have a great relationship,” the Sachse standout told Horns247 at Under Armour Houston. “We talk on the phone every week or every other week. And I have a great relationship with Coach Sark and Coach (Tashard) Choice. And I also have a good relationship with one of the players, Johntay Cook II, we both played on the same team with Texas Flex.”

The Longhorns have hosted Lockett four or five times so far and will welcome him back on April 6 and June 21-23 for an official visit.

“Going back to me and Coach Jackson’s relationship, when he was back in Jacksonville, he was coaching the best of the best at wide receiver,” Lockett said of what has Texas in the mix. “With him having guys in the wide receiver room like Ryan Wingo, Isaiah Bond, Johntay Cook II, DeAndre Moore Jr.. The list goes on. Why wouldn’t you want to be a part of that receiver room and get developed by one of the best receiver coaches in college football.”

Other schools of note Lockett brought up were LSU, Ohio State, Florida State, Penn State, and USC, where he’ll officially visit on June 7-9.

“I’ll have my decision made by August,” he said.

What are the important factors?

“Definitely a family feel and development-wise,” he said. “I’m really big on family. It’s going to be hard to leave when I go to college. I need a second home when I go off to college, people that are going to accept me in.”

At 6-foot-2, 175 pounds, Lockett is ranked the No. 4 wide receiver and the No. 20 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

image.thumb.png.75292e3947e644faa80cf5412255195e.png

Top-15 overall, #2 WR.

image.thumb.png.3e6679b77fd4d96a52c3ca267ce47858.png

How about we land Moore, Locket and Ff*** - 3 of the top 4 WRs in the nation?  Getting one of those 3 would be good ... all three?  

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hank South (Horns 247)

Hide contents

Hank South (Horns 247)

SPRING, Texas — Five-star wide receiver Kaliq Lockett is big on relationships when it comes to his recruitment, and with Texas he has just that.

“Me and Coach (Chris) Jackson, we have a great relationship,” the Sachse standout told Horns247 at Under Armour Houston. “We talk on the phone every week or every other week. And I have a great relationship with Coach Sark and Coach (Tashard) Choice. And I also have a good relationship with one of the players, Johntay Cook II, we both played on the same team with Texas Flex.”

The Longhorns have hosted Lockett four or five times so far and will welcome him back on April 6 and June 21-23 for an official visit.

“Going back to me and Coach Jackson’s relationship, when he was back in Jacksonville, he was coaching the best of the best at wide receiver,” Lockett said of what has Texas in the mix. “With him having guys in the wide receiver room like Ryan Wingo, Isaiah Bond, Johntay Cook II, DeAndre Moore Jr.. The list goes on. Why wouldn’t you want to be a part of that receiver room and get developed by one of the best receiver coaches in college football.”

Other schools of note Lockett brought up were LSU, Ohio State, Florida State, Penn State, and USC, where he’ll officially visit on June 7-9.

“I’ll have my decision made by August,” he said.

What are the important factors?

“Definitely a family feel and development-wise,” he said. “I’m really big on family. It’s going to be hard to leave when I go to college. I need a second home when I go off to college, people that are going to accept me in.”

At 6-foot-2, 175 pounds, Lockett is ranked the No. 4 wide receiver and the No. 20 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

image.thumb.png.75292e3947e644faa80cf5412255195e.png

Top-15 overall, #2 WR.

image.thumb.png.3e6679b77fd4d96a52c3ca267ce47858.png

How about we land Moore, Locket and Ff*** - 3 of the top 4 WRs in the nation?  Getting one of those 3 would be good ... all three?  

200.gif

In order of want, I would go Moore, Ffrench, Lockett. All three are ballers, but Moore has a little something extra getting separation from defenders. Ffrench looks to be a nice combination of YAC and physicality, and Locket is just a speed merchant with great hands. 

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

In order of want, I would go Moore, Ffrench, Lockett. All three are ballers, but Moore has a little something extra getting separation from defenders. Ffrench looks to be a nice combination of YAC and physicality, and Locket is just a speed merchant with great hands. 

K. Johnson is a good bet to be in the class.  Sounds like Sark has him high on the board.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

8 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

K. Johnson is a good bet to be in the class.  Sounds like Sark has him high on the board.

That WR class would be ideal. I'd take that in a heartbeat. I'd take 3/4 of it in a heartbeat. Moore, Lockett, and Johnson would be huge. Kelshaun Johnson seems like one of those kids who's going to be underrated by recruiting services because they don't bother to take a closer look but he appears to be absolutely electric and fast. Moore and Lockett would be great too. Obviously, the main reason is because they're such incredible talents. But the added "fuck you" to LSU and A&M would also be a nice bonus. I don't know much about Ffrench except that it looks like he's also really, really good but will be the hardest to pull off because of location

No way Sark can me turn away Moore, Lockett, Smith, French, and Harris, right? 5 seems like a lot, but I can't believe he'll rely on the portal for WR'S as much next season since he'll have  junior Cook, Moore,!Niblett, a soph Wingo, Butler (possible RS), RS frosh Livingstone, RS frosh Dubose.

Or am I wrong about him loading up on more than maybe 2 transfers (depending if they're great enough to replace Bond, Golden, Bolden)? 

On 3/8/2024 at 10:09 AM, closetojumping said:

Gerry posted his best class scenario for the week. The link is below. OTF is producing great content. The posters there remind me of the nightmares I encountered on 247 back in the day. Guys posting using their actual names, people making 4-6 consecutive posts as whatever mental diarrhea pours out of their head and onto their keyboard, posters getting really, really sensitive if your tone with them isn't boy scout level straight, and then just dumb concepts posted and debated repeatedly. So, caveat emptor if you follow the link.

It's getting worse. Much worse. I'm actually wondering if these are real people, or bots/AI designed to imitate horrible message board posters. 

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It's getting worse. Much worse. I'm actually wondering if these are real people, or bots/AI designed to imitate horrible message board posters. 

Weird that one of them is named RedFive.. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Getafix said:

FYI ... 

So A&M has played Georgia ONCE in the 14 years they've been in the SEC, and they get to dodge both UGA and Bama in back-to-back years. Terrific.

This absolutely sucks. At least move to a 9-game schedule.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So A&M has played Georgia ONCE in the 14 years they've been in the SEC, and they get to dodge both UGA and Bama in back-to-back years. Terrific.

This absolutely sucks. At least move to a 9-game schedule.

Dude, it gives us a pretty easy schedule as far as the SEC goes. Who gives a fuck about aggy?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Woof.. At Florida, at Georgia, at Kentucky is tough, but it will make for some fun road trips. 
Sunbelt Billy will be back where he belongs, Gata will have a new staff to break in.

That is unless he pulls off a miracle and exceeds all expectations in '24...hopefully not at our expense.

On 3/19/2024 at 10:31 AM, closetojumping said:

Well done.  What are the chances of getting a summary of each page going forward?  It would probably double my productivity at work.  Less time on Surly.  

3 hours ago, stork642 said:

Well done.  What are the chances of getting a summary of each page going forward?  It would probably double my productivity at work.  Less time on Surly.  

You’re young and you got your health, what do you want with a job?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jonah Williams - OV + UOV to Texas.

image.thumb.png.8fc0e17dcd4593221c9f7462e73a84c9.png

Five-star playmaker Jonah Williams on UT: 'Something’s good in store for Texas

Hank South (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Hank South (Horns 247)

SPRING, Texas — Five-star hybrid safety/linebacker Jonah Williams was the most outstanding player in attendance for the Under Armour Houston camp last weekend, making it extremely evident as to why he’s such a coveted target for many.

“I really like Oregon, USC, LSU, Ohio State, OU, Texas,” Williams told Horns247. “Those are like leading the recruitment right now.”

The Galveston Ball standout has summer officials set to USC, LSU, Ohio State, and Oregon. While UT isn’t set, the Longhorns will get an OV.

“I will for sure take one to Texas,” Williams said, adding he’s set to visit campus on April 6 unofficially as well.

“Just Coach Sark, he’s a great coach,” Williams said of what has the Longhorns in play. “Coach (Blake) Gideon, I really like him. I feel like he could really develop me going onto the next level.”

The in-state five-star likes the direction UT is going in.

“Great bounce-back season from what they had the year before,” he said. “They made it to the playoffs. I just really think something’s good in store for Texas.”

Williams is also a top MLB Draft prospect and could go the professional route all together if he’s drafted high enough. He’s talking with college staffs, including Texas, about playing baseball as well on the next level.

On top of that, Williams is close with a Texas player on the current roster.

“I know Jelani McDonald,” he said. “That’s my guy. I met him at a camp in Austin. We just stay in contact. He says it’s a great place, great coaching staff, and they really get to work.”

The 6-foot-3, 203-pound Williams is ranked the No. 1 linebacker and the No. 15 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, Getafix said:

Jonah Williams - OV + UOV to Texas.

image.thumb.png.8fc0e17dcd4593221c9f7462e73a84c9.png

Hank South (Horns 247)

Hide contents

Hank South (Horns 247)

SPRING, Texas — Five-star hybrid safety/linebacker Jonah Williams was the most outstanding player in attendance for the Under Armour Houston camp last weekend, making it extremely evident as to why he’s such a coveted target for many.

“I really like Oregon, USC, LSU, Ohio State, OU, Texas,” Williams told Horns247. “Those are like leading the recruitment right now.”

The Galveston Ball standout has summer officials set to USC, LSU, Ohio State, and Oregon. While UT isn’t set, the Longhorns will get an OV.

“I will for sure take one to Texas,” Williams said, adding he’s set to visit campus on April 6 unofficially as well.

“Just Coach Sark, he’s a great coach,” Williams said of what has the Longhorns in play. “Coach (Blake) Gideon, I really like him. I feel like he could really develop me going onto the next level.”

The in-state five-star likes the direction UT is going in.

“Great bounce-back season from what they had the year before,” he said. “They made it to the playoffs. I just really think something’s good in store for Texas.”

Williams is also a top MLB Draft prospect and could go the professional route all together if he’s drafted high enough. He’s talking with college staffs, including Texas, about playing baseball as well on the next level.

On top of that, Williams is close with a Texas player on the current roster.

“I know Jelani McDonald,” he said. “That’s my guy. I met him at a camp in Austin. We just stay in contact. He says it’s a great place, great coaching staff, and they really get to work.”

The 6-foot-3, 203-pound Williams is ranked the No. 1 linebacker and the No. 15 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

sO nOT ou

On 3/19/2024 at 1:57 AM, campcrunk said:

I have to admit, I'm very curious about what it's like now. I'm sure the music isn't close any of those eras (not even the early 2000s when I was there and we got to see acts like the Murder City Devils, the Toadies, Metric, Polyphonic Spree, Reggie and the Full Effect, Belle & Sebastian, Against Me!, etc. pretty regularly for pretty cheap). And we made it a point see George Clinton annually plus Snoop, Weezer/Jimmy Eat World, the Foo Fighters, and the Smashing Pumpkins when they came (I think that list sounds right? I may have the years mixed up. I too was filled with drugs). My nearing college-age kids still wear shirts for those bands (plus folks like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, the National), so I'm sure there's at least some good music floating around here in Austin that the olds like me just aren't aware of. 

The massive uptick in corporatization sucks complete ass but it is interesting to me that there are still a lot of great local food options, including some that are still somehow affordable. Plus, while we're on the subject of drugs, any idiot with a credit card (physical or digital), an internet connection, and a mailing address (even a dorm based one) can get pretty much whatever they want shipped them overnight these days - and you don't even have to use the Dark Web because there are a LOT of "research chemicals" sitting in a legal gray zone that are every bit as fun and interesting as the ones they can actually arrest you for - and did I mention that that they're inexpensive? Sometimes very much so.

Forget Delta 8, 9, whatever - put 65 mg of 4-HO-MET under your tongue or snort 175 mg of 2-Fluorodeschloroketamine some time and tell me you didn't have a completely (mostly) legal religious experience that was just as good as anything you ever got from the very illegal parent chemicals. Throw in some methallylescaline with that 4-HO-MET and... whoa. WAY better than any illegal candy flip you've ever had. There's a HUGE blind spot in federal law for this stuff and the lone attempt to actually sort of fix it was, in my professional legal opinion, very, very much unconstitutionally vague. And it wound up not even applying to the vast majority of these chemicals.

TV and movies? ¡No problemo! Again, with an internet connection and a password from mom and dad or a buddy and you've got access to whatever you want. Sure, the actual cinema blows. But there are still occasional bright spots. And with respect to TV, there's probably more good shows out there right now, old and new, than even the laziest, most couch-attached college kid could actually sit and binge.   

Anyway, like I said, I think things here are still interesting and "weird" in ways that olds like me probably haven't anticipated. And in ways that are still very Austin and very UT. So if you'll excuse me, my Fluorexetamine appears to be wearing off and now I'm confused and possibly lost. 

What’s your favorite era of the dead?