The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

14 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Bought it for $800, fkn steal of a price. When I walked in to the pawn shop a dude was looking at it, I couldn’t tell what it was but knew it was something I would be interested in. He handed it back to the employee and walked off. I went and looked at it in the glass case and bout shit my pants when I saw what it was. Then I saw the $800 and did shit my pants, I will post up in the 2022 shart thread later. It’s in great shape too, has a little holster wear but nothing bad at all, especially for a 50 year old gun.

You done stole that snake for sure.

Lucky find.

Brat, any thoughts on this pair? Saw them in a pawn shop right before Covid hit. I was going to research them and follow up with the pawn shop, then Covid showed up and my company stopped our travel, when we were released to travel these were long gone. They look pretty unique.

26920186-E7A0-41FA-AF3D-9E9388807248.png

22 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Brat, any thoughts on this pair? Saw them in a pawn shop right before Covid hit. I was going to research them and follow up with the pawn shop, then Covid showed up and my company stopped our travel, when we were released to travel these were long gone. They look pretty unique.

26920186-E7A0-41FA-AF3D-9E9388807248.png

Those are the 1986 Colt Texas Sesquicentennial Premier Editions. Only 75 were made. 
$2,000 each is a bargain to be jumped on, especially if they still came with the original boxes. 
The elephant ivory grips are worth at least $1,000 by themselves.

I have the more common “Storekeeper” 4” version (with no ejector housing) and different gold etchings. 1,000 of those were made.

1D11EF0D-1813-4445-9A33-8DE8114BF191.jpeg

DD9678E9-C0C9-4452-8FE3-46B3A7DD8D29.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Lyman Challenger I think it is 3x.   Until this year the only variable magnification scopes I owned were on the 22s and an AR because that was all I could buy.  The .257 Roberts has 3x, my 1965 Browning 30-06 had a Leupold Mk4 4x and my 1970s MkV Deluxe 270 Wby Mag had a Burris Fullfield 6x.  My eyesight is getting worse and the glare was washing out the sight picture on the 30-06 so I had to get a new scope.  The Weatherby had bad glass marks (Burris replace the lenses) but I bought the wrong scope for the 30-06 the first time so it got new glass too.
FN 98 Mauser.
20f218b3.thumb.jpg.3de17248aebbe1ebb95db774b26763f1.jpg 738b1e2d.thumb.jpg.30ae0c52f297d641397b2530537bd4a4.jpg

Is the trigger on the FN a set trigger? (Can you push the trigger forward and then it has a reduced pull weight like a hair trigger?) It’s positioned far enough forward in the trigger guard that it makes me wonder.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 686 said:

Is the trigger on the FN a set trigger? (Can you push the trigger forward and then it has a reduced pull weight like a hair trigger?) It’s positioned far enough forward in the trigger guard that it makes me wonder.

Yes!  I did not know about this but I pulled it out of the safe and tried it.  there is a light click pushing it forward and then there is no take-up when firing.  It might stay like that a few times after that.  When it is in the normal mode there is a small amount of takeup (1-2mm). It is a very good trigger. 

I think these were kits sent to gun shops and the gunsmiths put them together.

I would have given you rep 3 times if I could.

Edit: Thinking back I remember my dad telling me this but I had forgotten it over the years.  To be clear I did not notice much difference in trigger weight with my finger just in take up.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

If you are looking for a replica, both Uberti and Pietta make quality guns these days. If you buy from an outfit like Cimarron or Taylors, they hand select the guns they import and are pretty much guaranteed to be top quality. But really most of the imports these days are pretty high quality. You can get guns with a transfer bar safety or with the firing pin mounted on the hammer like the old school guns, so pay attention to that. If you want to find the absolute best replica, USFA made guns that many regard as better than Colts, especially the ones with all US made parts. They will probably hold their value as collector pieces like a Colt would. If you want a Colt, stay away from ones made in the 80's. If you just want a shooter, get a new made Italian gun.

Won my first gunbroker auction yesterday. We’ll see how the transaction goes, but I’m pretty happy so far. A pawn shop had listed a “Weatherby Mark V light weight 6.5 Creed More” [sic] with some not great pictures. Looking closely, it’s a Mark V Backcountry Ti (titanium action). Weatherby doesn’t write titanium on it, so you wouldn’t know unless you know. Listing says it’s “mint” and from the photos, looks like it’s never had a scope mounted or the action cycled much. MSRP $3300, I won it at $1500.

Light weight is an understatement - 4.9 lbs. Should be fun; I don’t have a Creedmoor yet, so lots of new things to check out.

Here’s one of the lousy listing photos, I’ve turned it 180 so the receiver is legible.

c1ca0c5728a032b25ac8b7c1005e81c0.jpg

Here’s a photo from Weatherby of what they look like in a nice photo. Carbon fiber stocks are really nice.

3d16b2f359efc9f3f96514eda1b448bb.png

• Hook 'Em 3

Nice caliber, broseph.  
Kidding, im jealous af as I live on Gunbroker and it’s been awhile since I’ve gotten a steal on there.  The market, like everything else, seems to be out of control. 

Yeah I’ve been watching dudes buy used Weatherby rifles on GB for new or higher than new prices; it’s been really irritating. This was a welcome deal. Regarding this gun, if I had my choice, I would have bought it in Weatherby 6.5RPM; but with 6.5 Creed ammo will be more available. And if I really want the extra 300fps with the RPM at some point, I could just order another barrel. Should be a great high altitude gun for antelope/mulies/caribou (I want to make a few trips in the coming years), and a nice light whitetail gun if I didn’t want to shoot one of my 300’s.

Will also look sexy in the safe next to my Accumark.

9 hours ago, Frank Erwin said:

257 Roberts is a great whitetail round.  Mine does have a 4x Weaver.  I'm old school, but prefer the old weaver or leupold fixed scopes.  Trying to find a 6x leupold now for my Browning 06

So they were in my young eyes my g-fathers "pair" of rifles.  The .257 is older.  I think purchased in the late 50's or early 60's.  The pre-64 .270 that I hunt with today did have that 4x fixed Weaver scope (that I still have).  Upgraded to a newer Leo' scope, but otherwise left the rest of the rifle untouched. 

Don't have a ton of pics, but this is one I have on the computer from a few years back.  Stock is nice and glossy of being oiled over the years and the bluing on the barrel is perfect.  Still groups around 1.5-2 inches, which is pretty good all things considered and just fine for Texas deer.  

270.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I hit the range sundays. I stripped both down and lubed it up with the Wilson combat lubricant it came with. The cliffs notes are Some good some bad on both.

WC EDC X9 ~100 rounds.
Accuracy was good. I got some good groups at 7yd and still hit center mass at 15yd

The Trigger felt great, light and good break. I tend to jerk the trigger more than I do on some of my other pistols.

Reliability: this was irritating. A couple of failure to feed. I felt the cycling of the slide more than I usually do with other steel pistols. The slow cycling could be weak old ammo, could be tight fitment and stiff spring. Either way I’ll get a few hundred more rounds before I judge.

WC 7 yards. 1st mag middle, 2nd mag lower left. 3rd upper left.
11015032be2d04d402cb3236ccd18d26.jpg

Dan Wesson. ~120 rounds.
Accuracy was noticeably better. At 7 yards I had some tight ragged holes, at 15 yards still tighter than the WC.

Trigger similar to the WC. Great 1911 trigger. Light and crisp break with a short reset. I didn’t have the jerking issue.

Reliability: one stove pipe. A handful of failure to feed. I did use a bunch different mags I had lying around. Chip McKormick, Dan Wesson, Colt, some others. I didn’t have the slow cycling like with the WC but the ammo in the old mags had been there for probably a few years.

WC 7 yards.
8374f25935cad58805bea24cf74eaa65.jpg

15 yard. The cluster in the middle are the .45 rounds from the Dan Wesson

The rest were the WC
9bd6b32f73642a0e786e199609cb02b1.jpg

Follow up.

Went back to Reds for round two of the Dan Wesson Vigil and WC EDC9. I took them home and cleaned again and re-lubed.

With the DW Vigil I had one feed issue. It was 90% fed and just a nudge seated the round. Better. Not great.

The more prevalent issue with the failure to lock on an empty mag. I’ve got a variety of mags: DW, Colt, Wilson combat, chip McCormick and Meg gar. The only ones it locked on empty was the Chip McKormick.

That got me researching. Apparently, This is a common issue and they suggest NOT CLEANING THE GUN just lubing for the first 500 rounds. The powder residue and oil should help smooth the surfaces as it cycles to ease the tight tolerances that make this failure to lock an issue.

The WC had no lock issues. I had two feed issues and one I just sat there and looked at it and it eventually fed after a short delay. The nose of the round was stalled on the ramp. I put a light coat of lube on the ramp and no more failures. Perhaps some more break in and these parts will wear into a smooth working shooter.

I feel better but not great.

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Anyone bought a suppressor in the last 3 months?  Wondering if the new electronic form submission makes approval quicker.

Still waiting to get one I bought last spring.

I certified an eform4 on 2/24 and my status was updated to “submitted”. We’ll see if it comes back in 90 days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Sexy!  Grips are cool as F.  Very clean.  Now shoot the ever living crap out of it!

I just paid $61 of diesel to fill up 13 gallons. What he said on the other thread says that we have about the same gas prices. If he wants to keep his limit, he shouldn't shoot the shit out of it. I mean I'm not saying he shouldn't, but yeah it's getting spendy out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/8/2022 at 10:22 AM, workswithseed said:

I just paid $61 of diesel to fill up 13 gallons. What he said on the other thread says that we have about the same gas prices. If he wants to keep his limit, he shouldn't shoot the shit out of it. I mean I'm not saying he shouldn't, but yeah it's getting spendy out there.

The price of gasoline is now up to $4.89 per gallon as of this morning.  Over a dollar up over the week.  Everything is about to be spendy up here.