Tri Tip Brisket

OK, so I love Tri-tip. Reverse sear is the way to do it. Today I treated it like a brisket. 3lbs Tri-tip smoke until roughly 178 and wrapped. I was worried about it drying out so spritzed every 45 mins with apple cidar vinegar mix. Let rest for 1 hr. Fucking awesome. Tasted just like brisket. So great. Took me 8 hrs. Like smoking just the flat. 🤘

20211212_204305.jpg

Edited by Passive Aggressive Coach
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

why the fuck would anybody want a tri tip to taste like a brisket? 

Because I've done it 3 ways like your wife. 

Also, because experiment and it was awesome. Did you see my other reverse sears on a tri tip?

OK, so I love Tri-tip. Reverse sear is the way to do it. Today I treated it like a brisket. 3lbs Tri-tip smoke until roughly 178 and wrapped. I was worried about it drying out so spritzed every 45 mins with apple cidar vinegar mix. Let rest for 1 hr. Fucking awesome. Tasted just like brisket. So great. Took me 8 hrs. Like smoking just the flat. 

Congratulations on paying 2x the price/lb for brisket.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I think tri-tip with chimichurri is pretty awesome. However, I struggle with the shape of the cut. You either overcook the skinny end, or undercook the fat end. Feels like I'm wasting 1/3 of the cut. I give the overcooked skinny end to my kids and keep the fat end for the adults. 

I do prime NY Strips with chimichurri once a week.  My kids would kick my ass if I served them tri tip.

I tried this once. It's a thing. It didn't turn out so good for me. I thought it might be an interesting way to make a brisket-like cut in a shorter cook. I like tri tip on its own and I do not really prefer the lean part of a brisket so it was just kind of a failed experiment that I don't think I'll undertake again. 

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I think tri-tip with chimichurri is pretty awesome. However, I struggle with the shape of the cut. You either overcook the skinny end, or undercook the fat end. Feels like I'm wasting 1/3 of the cut. I give the overcooked skinny end to my kids and keep the fat end for the adults. 

Sous vide and quick sear is the answer you're looking for.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 11:22 PM, Gil Bang said:

why the fuck would anybody want a tri tip to taste like a brisket? 

Hey asshole, I did it 220 smoke for 1.5 hrs tonight with oak until 120 then reversed seared. Meat Church Holy Cow rub and Wagyu tallow binder. You good with this? BTW I've already posted pics of me doing the same thing before. This shit could've been served at Eddie V's if they had Tri-tip. 20211221_204153.thumb.jpg.d82705903b4246ba1d148a97d9cc0939.jpg20211221_204617.thumb.jpg.032aa3afa8e45637dda8573352bd1a11.jpg20211221_204622.thumb.jpg.f76c387ab4e86a464b7ec88be7c21b3b.jpg 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 3

1 hour ago, SurlyBDR said:

Hey! You should try to find a happy medium between Lincoln Rileying your tri tip brisket and letting it lose all of its juices because you refuse to let it rest for a 10 minutes.

Asshole 

Really? Rested for 20 mins. It was that juicy. Fuck off troll. Deal with me being a good smoker, griller and cook. Sorry for the small dick. 

6 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

that’s not all that passive-aggressive…

No it's not. That shit I cooked was rested right and cooked perfect. You think I smoke a 3lbs tri tip. Take it off at 120 on the dot and then turn the grill up to 650 to reverse sear then to only cut it open right after I get it out? Do I sound like a guy that would do that with all that detail? Or did I let it sit for 20 mins? How would you take it? Fuck that troll. I'm one of the best cooks on this board. Let me see that troll's work... 

52 minutes ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Really? Rested for 20 mins. It was that juicy. Fuck off troll. Deal with me being a good smoker, griller and cook. Sorry for the small dick. 

You don’t have to apologize for your small dick. Just accept how god made you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Hey asshole, I did it 220 smoke for 1.5 hrs tonight with oak until 120 then reversed seared. Meat Church Holy Cow rub and Wagyu tallow binder. You good with this? BTW I've already posted pics of me doing the same thing before. This shit could've been served at Eddie V's if they had Tri-tip. 20211221_204153.thumb.jpg.d82705903b4246ba1d148a97d9cc0939.jpg20211221_204617.thumb.jpg.032aa3afa8e45637dda8573352bd1a11.jpg20211221_204622.thumb.jpg.f76c387ab4e86a464b7ec88be7c21b3b.jpg 

Big fan of this for tri tip

SantaMariaGrillSeasoning-6oz_2018.jpg

https://www.oakridgebbq.com/product/santa-maria-steak-seasoning/

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

No it's not. That shit I cooked was rested right and cooked perfect. You think I smoke a 3lbs tri tip. Take it off at 120 on the dot and then turn the grill up to 650 to reverse sear then to only cut it open right after I get it out? Do I sound like a guy that would do that with all that detail? Or did I let it sit for 20 mins? How would you take it? Fuck that troll. I'm one of the best cooks on this board. Let me see that troll's work... 

All you have to do is look in the thread that you used to post pics of this cut in

6 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Bring some of that to a surly tailgate and let us be the judge. Then you won't be an asshole.

13 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Why did the name Hope Solo pop into my mind when I saw the second and third picture...  😀

Sorry, I smoked a tri tip as an experiment and then did a reverse sear which was too juicy after resting for some. Y'all suck. Why would I ever post anything again about my smokes or cooks? Surly wins. I won't and y'all will say good riddance. I have had some great posts here on my smokes and cooks too. Off to post my brisket enchiladas on a real food site.