South Oak Cliff vs. Liberty Hill HS Championship Game

JohnnyRage

7 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’ve read a few “good for DISD” comments. Can someone give me a little context? How long has it been since a true Dallas school has won a state championship? Thanks in advance.

Lake Highland, RISD, but is in City of Dallas won in 1981.  I believe they were the last "Dallas" team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’ve read a few “good for DISD” comments. Can someone give me a little context? How long has it been since a true Dallas school has won a state championship? Thanks in advance.

1950. Sunset

Of course taking that 1988 title away from Carter was complete bullshit, but that’s still a long time 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Lake Highland, RISD, but is in City of Dallas won in 1981.  I believe they were the last "Dallas" team. 

I'm a Lake Highlands grad (not that old by a long shot) and this is accurate.  Carter of course won and then was stripped.  Skyline sniffed around at it a few times.  Most DISD schools are just fucking terrible athletics wise.

Really cool to see this and the OC community rally around these kids. I can’t verify this, but from I have read all the players do well academically too as the coaching staff takes a whole life approach.

The poise of that QB was something to see. I didn’t see him panic and he made a lot of terrific decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

not with Liberty Hill's O.

Part of the benefits of the spread offense is to neutralize talent differences. [somewhat racist] I scratch my head when schools comprised mostly of white suburban kids go the complete opposite with a tight, run-based offense. I say that as someone who played for two HCs that masterbated to Tom Osborne and Pop Warner while we were in the same district as Westfield, Spring, and Humble. 

6 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Really cool to see this and the OC community rally around these kids. I can’t verify this, but from I have read all the players do well academically too as the coaching staff takes a whole life approach.

The poise of that QB was something to see. I didn’t see him panic and he made a lot of terrific decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had only one D1 offer when he committed to SMU.

29 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Part of the benefits of the spread offense is to neutralize talent differences. [somewhat racist] I scratch my head when schools comprised mostly of white suburban kids go the complete opposite with a tight, run-based offense. I say that as someone who played for two HCs that masterbated to Tom Osborne and Pop Warner while we were in the same district as Westfield, Spring, and Humble. 

I just meant 3 minutes isnt any time in a 2 score game when you run shit like Triple Option.  

my guess is LH gets nowhere near the final running the spread these days.  now some straight I formation type stuff, yeah that's different.

20 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Happy for SOC. Really glad they won it - great story.

What's the background - did they get a new coach? Was this just a special group of kids?

Money. 

Just a few years ago they didn't even have a practice field near campus. They had to bus to Pleasant Grove to practice. Facilities were as bad as you can imagine. 

Bond election passed to upgrade the DISD schools and they got a practice field and better facilities on campus. 

The inner city schools not competing with the burbs all comes down to money. It takes a lot of money to do football right. It's definitely not a lack of athletes as basketball, a sport that doesn't require nearly as much money, is dominated by the likes of SOC, Madison, Lincoln, and Kimball regularly. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Money. 

Just a few years ago they didn't even have a practice field near campus. They had to bus to Pleasant Grove to practice. Facilities were as bad as you can imagine. 

Bond election passed to upgrade the DISD schools and they got a practice field and better facilities on campus. 

The inner city schools not competing with the burbs all comes down to money. It takes a lot of money to do football right. It's definitely not a lack of athletes as basketball, a sport that doesn't require nearly as much money, is dominated by the likes of SOC, Madison, Lincoln, and Kimball regularly. 

And Souf Dallas DISD schools get the shittier end of the monetary stick than the Nawf Dallas schools.

And the Nawf Dallas schools are even less competitive at everything, except maybe baseball, than Souf.  Partly because they're decimated by private schools.

Lincoln, I think, was the most competitive DISD football school in the last couple of decades.  It's over by Fair Park and pretty desperate, economically.

22 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said: I say that as someone who played for two HCs that masterbated to Tom Osborne and Pop Warner while we were in the same district as Westfield, Spring, and Humble. 

22 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I say that as someone who played for two HCs that masterbated to Pop Warner...

NTTAWWT

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2021 at 2:11 PM, hpslugga said:

I don’t call it a gimmick because I want to; I call it a gimmick because it’s a gimmick

We just moved back to central Texas and my son plays for the LH middle school which runs the same scheme. I didn’t care for the Slot-T at first as it is too one dimensional for my preference. That being said, it’s perfect for the talent in this area. We don’t have a deep pool of elite talent but we have a ton of  hard working, disciplined kids who whole heartedly believe the sum of the parts is greater than its pieces. We would be a below average team if we ran the spread. We just don’t have the horses. The scheme will eventually limit our ability to compete.  But for now, it’s awesome to see bunch of normal everyday kids staying competitive with D1 talent. 

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And Souf Dallas DISD schools get the shittier end of the monetary stick than the Nawf Dallas schools.

And the Nawf Dallas schools are even less competitive at everything, except maybe baseball, than Souf.  Partly because they're decimated by private schools.

Lincoln, I think, was the most competitive DISD football school in the last couple of decades.  It's over by Fair Park and pretty desperate, economically.

Madison was competitive in 3A for seven year stretch before the talent ran dry. Lincoln football is DOA now.

I also keep seeing South Dallas applied to a lot of schools. There are only two high schools in what anyone who lives there would call South Dallas. That is Madison and Lincoln. The easiest way to get looked at sideways in Oak Cliff is to tell someone who went to SOC, Kimball or Carter that they are a South Dallas school. I could apply that to Velt and Pinkston as well, but Pinkston’s neighborhood has generally been referred to as the West Dallas projects even though that is changing.

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve lived in Dallas most of my life and I’ve never understood the South Dallas thing.  Lincoln and Madison are east of downtown, while the other schools mentioned are all south of downtown.

Different neighborhoods is all. If you don’t look at them exactly how a map should say they are supposed to be labeled it makes it easier to understand. 

43 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Madison was competitive in 3A for seven year stretch before the talent ran dry. Lincoln football is DOA now.

I also keep seeing South Dallas applied to a lot of schools. There are only two high schools in what anyone who lives there would call South Dallas. That is Madison and Lincoln. The easiest way to get looked at sideways in Oak Cliff is to tell someone who went to SOC, Kimball or Carter that they are a South Dallas school. I could apply that to Velt and Pinkston as well, but Pinkston’s neighborhood has generally been referred to as the West Dallas projects even though that is changing.

This happens a lot for Oak Cliff and Pleasant Grove. Those areas used to have specific boundaries back in the day. Now days, any thing southwest of Downtown is referred to as Oak Cliff and anything southeast of downtown is referred to as the Grove. Which is not true for either case. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve lived in Dallas most of my life and I’ve never understood the South Dallas thing.  Lincoln and Madison are east of downtown, while the other schools mentioned are all south of downtown.

Well, the economic dividing line is mostly I30.  South of it, you're fucked.  North of it, you're less fucked.  I tend to use that nomenclature.

Pinkston and the now humorously named North Dallas HS are both north of 30, however.  I tend to think of that West Dallas area as one of the most desperate in Dallas.

South Oak Cliff is a bit of a misnomer, too, as Oak Cliff generally ends right about Illinois Avenue by most accounts

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This happens a lot for Oak Cliff and Pleasant Grove. Those areas used to have specific boundaries back in the day. Now days, any thing southwest of Downtown is referred to as Oak Cliff and anything southeast of downtown is referred to as the Grove. Which is not true for either case. 

Oh absolutely. The Grove is not as big an area as it is portrayed. I used to have a friend who was the basketball coach at Samuell. It was a struggle the longer he stayed there. Thankfully he got to a much better situation. I think this year might be his last in coaching with his youngest playing ball in college now as well as his first grandchild being born. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The grove doesn’t start until you get east of Fair Park a bit.

I spent a lot of time in all of these areas as a high school basketball player and I’ll be damned but I still can’t define the areas.  The Salvation Army gym in Pleasant Grove, Beckley-Saner, Kimball, Lincoln, etc.  Everything south of downtown along I-35 was Oak Cliff to me, if I headed east on 635 and passed Mesquite that was Pleasant Grove, and if I had a game at Lincoln that was referred to as around Fair Park.  I am a white.

I spent a lot of time in all of these areas as a high school basketball player and I’ll be damned but I still can’t define the areas.  The Salvation Army gym in Pleasant Grove, Beckley-Saner, Kimball, Lincoln, etc.  Everything south of downtown along I-35 was Oak Cliff to me, if I headed east on 635 and passed Mesquite that was Pleasant Grove, and if I had a game at Lincoln that was referred to as around Fair Park.  I am a white.

The grove basically straddles Buckner south of 30. Inside of 635 and west of Mesquite.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Haha it’s fun at times to figure out the boundaries and different names for neighborhoods in South Dallas. If you played Lincoln in basketball it was at Cobb which is in Fair Park. They don’t play many games at the actual high school. @Brothahorn should insert himself into this conversation. He could add some history to the topic since I think he mentioned he played at Cobb a long time ago.

I had a bunch of friends I went to college with who were from South Dallas and I hung out there many times with the Flentroy family. I think Red is still coaching at Madison. Extremely nice family, but man they drink alcohol like it’s water! I could never keep up with them when I used to drink. A lot of y’all would have a blast hanging out with them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Haha it’s fun at times to figure out the boundaries and different names for neighborhoods in South Dallas. If you played Lincoln in basketball it was at Cobb which is in Fair Park. They don’t play many games at the actual high school. @Brothahorn should insert himself into this conversation. He could add some history to the topic since I think he mentioned he played at Cobb a long time ago.

I had a bunch of friends I went to college with who were from South Dallas and I hung out there many times with the Flentroy family. I think Red is still coaching at Madison. Extremely nice family, but man they drink alcohol like it’s water! I could never keep up with them when I used to drink. A lot of y’all would have a blast hanging out with them. 

Summer league games at Lincoln.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Summer league games at Lincoln.

Nice. I used to see some of the North Dallas schools. I used to watch Hillcrest some because their head coach was an amazingly nice guy who played football and basketball at Grambling. You could see how much of an effect Eddie Robinson had on his life.

Edited by UpperWestside

My youngest played a few freshman football games for Woodrow at Cobb Field. Or maybe it was Jr. High. I can’t remember anymore.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, the economic dividing line is mostly I30.  South of it, you're fucked.  North of it, you're less fucked.  I tend to use that nomenclature.

Pinkston and the now humorously named North Dallas HS are both north of 30, however.  I tend to think of that West Dallas area as one of the most desperate in Dallas.

South Oak Cliff is a bit of a misnomer, too, as Oak Cliff generally ends right about Illinois Avenue by most accounts

Does that mean SOC isn't Oak Cliff?  I live in the area, albeit less than a year, and everything in the area west of the river and south of I-30 claims Oak Cliff.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Does that mean SOC isn't Oak Cliff?  I live in the area, albeit less than a year, and everything in the area west of the river and south of I-30 claims Oak Cliff.

I think SOC HS is really more Greater South Dallas/Cedar Crest (if there is such a thing). I mean I guess it’s kind in the southeast corner of OC but 35 pretty much is a natural border (or unnatural but I won’t go CR).