Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

11 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I maintain that taking credit for bills you voted against should be criminal, or at least subject to Congressional sanction.

Voters don't do their research.

Congress should authorize funding for sending a one pager to each house to show what their rep and senator voted for/against every time someone is up for re-election. 

Someone like Boobert claims to LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the troops and voted against 15 different veterans bills.   I'd say 95%+ of people in her district have no idea about that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't think it should be criminal to take credit when one voted against it, but the problem with saying that the public should know better is that a big swath of the public doesn't know how he voted.  They just assume he voted in favor of the bill that funded the expansion.

EDIT:  what Js1 said, in different words.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Also not sure how you "criminalize" it or make it subject to Congressional sanction.  They can just say "I support Issue X 100%, but I don't support Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden's version of Issue X." 

Which is already what they get away with to deceive voters.  I support Issue X if it's proposed by a GOP Congress/President, but I oppose it if proposed by a Dem Congress/President, so vote for me so we can get *our* version passed. 

37 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Gas went up the last few days. I'm sure the local sticker brigade will be out in full force. That's seriously what they consider "activism" these days.

Do they really still do this?  I fill up like once a month at most and live in the middle of Austin, so not many trumpkins where I am.

38 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Gas went up the last few days. 

It's been a blip the last few days regionally (spikes in the Midwest and the west coast) but not really all over.  I'm sure some dink in Texas will bemoan the gas prices in California any day now, because the gas prices in Texas aren't supporting their arguments. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also not sure how you "criminalize" it or make it subject to Congressional sanction.  They can just say "I support Issue X 100%, but I don't support Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden's version of Issue X." 

Which is already what they get away with to deceive voters.  I support Issue X if it's proposed by a GOP Congress/President, but I oppose it if proposed by a Dem Congress/President, so vote for me so we can get *our* version passed. 

But he's taking credit after the bill is passed. There can't be a Republican version. We're getting the bill that was passed, and the politicians of Texas who actually voted for (I assume there are a couple) or supported will get absolutely no goodwill from it in a discrete political sense.

There are defamation laws when it comes to lying about people. Lying about legislation should be treated similarly.

I know it's a ~ridiculous proposal or whatever, but the shameless dishonesty of the modern Republican/Fascist party is destroying our democracy, and politicians in general are no longer honest with the public. That is not okay, and if we can't depend on the Congressional norms, personal integrity, and common decency of our elected officials to actually work for the people instead of the oligarchs (as we're essentially an oligarchy at this point, come at me), then the governing body should be policed into honesty. Again, I know this is ridiculous and impossible and will never happen.

I also want it to be one way, but it's this way instead. I simply don't see a way things will dramatically improve in my lifetime. The system is set up to keep the vast majority of citizens disengaged, and there isn't any inculcation of American citizenship and what that means beyond surface-level "patriotism."

Wish I'd been born after the Second American Revolution, which is what it's going to take.

Edited by trauma babe
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I agree with Stache, except I don't believe humans are smart enough to not fall for it. Furthermore, I don't view humans as a failed species. I don't think there is such a thing as successful or failed species. Species are just part of life. I do believe our downfall is part of the circle of evolution. 

On the contrary, I think we're the only species capable of failure. Other species can die out by natural disaster or natural changes to their environment while being incapable of adaptation, at least in some situations inability to adapt fast enough. We're the only ones capable of complex thought and can understand what our risks are and how to mitigate them. Yet we continue to burn dead dinosaurs at an alarming rate ruining the environment, we allow people to die in the streets hungry despite having all the resources available to feed everyone ten times over, we have determined that our medium of exchange and fiat currencies are important enough that we prefer to ship stuff over oceans instead of making things nearby. Oh, and we have assembled and continue to assemble a artillery of weapons capable of wiping us out entirely. We are a failed species. Our time is close to an end. I truly believe this and sometimes regret having children.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

On the contrary, I think we're the only species capable of failure. Other species can die out by natural disaster or natural changes to their environment while being incapable of adaptation, at least in some situations inability to adapt fast enough. We're the only ones capable of complex thought and can understand what our risks are and how to mitigate them. Yet we continue to burn dead dinosaurs at an alarming rate ruining the environment, we allow people to die in the streets hungry despite having all the resources available to feed everyone ten times over, we have determined that our medium of exchange and fiat currencies are important enough that we prefer to ship stuff over oceans instead of making things nearby. Oh, and we have assembled and continue to assemble a artillery of weapons capable of wiping us out entirely. We are a failed species. Our time is close to an end. I truly believe this and sometimes regret having children.

The Tasmanian Tiger was unable to overcome external factors such as predators or disease because they were lacking. Humans were unable to overcome internal factors such as greed and aggression because they were lacking. I blame humans as much as blame Tasmanian tigers. We are what we are, just because the hurdles were different, doesn't mean we were destined to overcome them, or even meant to overcome them. In fact, we are just one expression of life. 

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The Tasmanian Tiger was unable to overcome external factors such as predators or disease because they were lacking. Humans were unable to overcome internal factors such as greed and aggression because they were lacking. I blame humans as much as blame Tasmanian tigers. We are what we are, just because the hurdles were different, doesn't mean we were destined to overcome them, or even meant to overcome them. In fact, we are just one expression of life. 

I disagree that external and internal factors are equal. By definition we are doing this to ourselves, and unlike the Tasmanian tigers, we are capable of stopping our own demise, but are refusing to do so. You can't blame the Tasmanian tiger for external factors, we can sure as fuck blame ourselves for internal factors. We are clearly distinguishable from other species. We built skyscrapers and have stepped foot on the moon. We can feed ourselves, the entirety of our species, through agriculture and can do so sustainably and globally if we so choose, but we don't. We have determined that our fiat currencies are the end all be all and harbor extraordinary hatred for others. That's entirely on us (the royal us some of us would save ourselves but are not in the majority and not in power). By comparison, other species fight and kill each other, but it's almost always in the name of food (territorial fights included). We can avoid that yet we inevitably will nuke our planet to oblivious because of religion or money (usually both). That is a failure that is fully within our control to avoid, yet we won't.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I agree but this is one area where the WAY overused phrase "politics aside" actually applies. Biden is doing what a good president should and pre-emptively addressing a potential crisis without blinking. hopefully this storm is nothing and it's all for not, but if shit goes down you're going to be hearing a lot of about how federal relief got people through it. win/win when you step back in the political arena

Nah, they'll just thump their chests and claim they got back on their feet all by themselves without any help from the gubment without ever realizing it was federal funding that helped get the power back on, roads cleared, water systems repaired, etc, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

If this was California in 2025 and we had a president Desantis. While California is requesting for aid due to uncontrollable fires,  Detrumpis would shame California for global warming policies, attack them for being Uber liberal, and after owning them 20 times, he would send aid while scolding them again as he sends it way too late.

No, he wouldn't send any aid at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Nah, they'll just thump their chests and claim they got back on their feet all by themselves without any help from the gubment without ever realizing it was federal funding that helped get the power back on, roads cleared, water systems repaired, etc, etc. 

unfortunately, that is how a lot of people think. When it’s positive or they’re making money, it’s because of their smarts or genius iq. When people are losing money, they blame the government.

42 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

You have to get dirty to win, dems need play by their rules or lose

give the aid, but make a statement that includes something about federal government helps its citizens in times of need after a hurricane, just like we would after wildfires in California, and flooding in NY city, etc etc. Maybe throw in a dig about not using the money for flying immigrants around the country.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

give the aid, but make a statement that includes something about federal government helps its citizens in times of need after a hurricane, just like we would after wildfires in California, and flooding in NY city, etc etc. Maybe throw in a dig about not using the money for flying immigrants around the country.

Gotta add in Puerto Rico, and explain PR's association with the United States for the mouth-breathers.

• Hook 'Em 6

42 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Gotta add in Puerto Rico, and explain PR's association with the United States for the mouth-breathers.

This. Fucking rail on them and call them the horrible fucksticks they are.  

6 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Conservatives getting upset at this are just miserable people with no sense of humor. This is actually pretty funny.

Yup, especially considering their party's undisputed leader mocks literally everyone, living or dead, openly and hatefully. This was clearly a slip up, who gives a shit, but he'd be justified (especially under their standards) considering she participated in the treason to try and overturn his victory based on lies. Fuck her, hope the worms got to her quick.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What harm did he allege? Isn't it set to be expressly exempt from imputed income for tax purposes?

That was a big question.  And the DOJ moved to dismiss for lack of subject-matter jurisdiction on that basis.  

But then, just to make doubly sure that there was no harm, the Department of Education came up with this opt-out procedure.  And based on the Plaintiffs' statements in their filings, automatically opted the Plaintiffs out.  So now there's really no damage (and hence no standing).

• Haha 2