Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'm happy for all you dopers.  Keep on rockin', Dark Brandon.

Seems like he plans on it:

• President Joe Biden dropped the F-bomb during his visit to Florida on Wednesday.
  • "No one fucks with a Biden," he's heard telling Fort Myers Beach Mayor Ray Murphy.

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I've gotta disagree pretty hard with you on this man. No doubt that like anything else used to excess, weed can be destructive. But I've seen more kids lose their future to WoW, or to getting hooked on benzos, than I have to weed. 

Make no mistake, kids shouldn't be getting stoned or getting drunk. Their brains are still developing, and it's a risky game to put chemicals into your body that change how your mind works as your brain is learning how it works. 

And you'll notice like some other posters have said, nobody is saying we need to be getting kids stoned lol. That's a ridiculous straw man to attack

Well I’ve got personal experience to count against your internet expertise.  Weed is just as dangerous as any of these substances you or anyone else mentions. I’ve got a son who thankfully will graduate high school but it was touch and go, but that’s where the gratitude stops. he’s got no motivation for anything anymore.  He’s struggling with depression and anxiety made worse by drugs. His drug of of choice? Pot. Where did he get it? Friends. Where do they get it? Parents stash initially. Where else? Drug dealers. What kind of drug dealers? Other kids and young adults with supply from legal sources in other states.  Maybe his life would be worse on benzos who the fuck knows. But it’s pretty bad now.  So all I’m saying is politically - and last time I checked this is a political post - legalization is long over due but the flood of access to high potency weed is creating a public health epidemic. People scoff at it, but half the kids in our high school are high at school. I’m not exaggerating.  

I realize no one here is advocating for kids to use pot, but the arguments presented against what I’m saying are idiotic and strawmen arguments. 

as with any sea change there are unintended positive and negative consequences. The public health crisis of teen pot use is one negative consequence. You can argue benzos and alcohol are worse, ok. Doesn’t change the fact there is a public health crisis over teen pot use.  Every argument thrown at me changes nothing.  

we should celebrate decriminalization and legalization. Its also the case that it presents significant challenges and simply saying meh, alcohol is worse is dumb and stupid and frankly exacerbates the problem as kids think that means pot is ok. 

this shit isn’t hard if you guys use your brain. But once again, nuance is lost on most of you and certainly on the internet.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, troph said:

And I’ll tell you, kids start using pot because they hear it isn’t as bad, then whoopsies they are habitual, flunked out of school and don’t give a shit with suicide risks and mental health problems because of the specific impact of weed on a teen brain. So congratulate yourselves on the stupidity of your argument. Bad is bad. Weed just like booze is no fucking good for teens. And in the crusade for legalization we need to up our prevention game with kids that’s all I’m saying. Thankfully Biden agrees and said as much today.

Yes, the weed of today is far different that it was for us growing up in the 90s.  But everything is more complex.  We use to make runs across the border for all sorts of shit. Now you are facing death from adulterated "xanax". Not a lot of fun raising the kids in this environment.  IMO, you are weighting things on weed that are likely multifactorial in nature. Weed is just week. But it can certainly be part of a broader range of stressors, and perhaps a reaction to some of them.  

2 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

The real demon is high fructose corn syrup.

This is the real shit that needs to be scheduled. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Well I’ve got personal experience to count against your internet expertise.  Weed is just as dangerous as any of these substances you or anyone else mentions. I’ve got a son who thankfully will graduate high school but it was touch and go, but that’s where the gratitude stops. he’s got no motivation for anything anymore.  He’s struggling with depression and anxiety made worse by drugs. His drug of of choice? Pot. Where did he get it? Friends. Where do they get it? Parents stash initially. Where else? Drug dealers. What kind of drug dealers? Other kids and young adults with supply from legal sources in other states.  Maybe his life would be worse on benzos who the fuck knows. But it’s pretty bad now.  So all I’m saying is politically - and last time I checked this is a political post - legalization is long over due but the flood of access to high potency weed is creating a public health epidemic. People scoff at it, but half the kids in our high school are high at school. I’m not exaggerating.  

I realize no one here is advocating for kids to use pot, but the arguments presented against what I’m saying are idiotic and strawmen arguments. 

as with any sea change there are unintended positive and negative consequences. The public health crisis of teen pot use is one negative consequence. You can argue benzos and alcohol are worse, ok. Doesn’t change the fact there is a public health crisis over teen pot use.  Every argument thrown at me changes nothing.  

we should celebrate decriminalization and legalization. Its also the case that it presents significant challenges and simply saying meh, alcohol is worse is dumb and stupid and frankly exacerbates the problem as kids think that means pot is ok. 

this shit isn’t hard if you guys use your brain. But once again, nuance is lost on most of you and certainly on the internet.

I get this is personal to you. I’m glad your son is going to graduate. But the fact it’s so personal to you that you’re making up things people have said and telling us to “use our brains” is just making you look a bit hysterical and dramatic. 

This was long overdue and Biden even said there’s a lot that has to be figured out. You should be glad he is doing it slowly and methodically, bc he’s a pro. 

Kids have a lot of things in front of them. But man, alcohol use can cause long term health issues and lead to accidents that ruin lives and futures and kill people. Other drugs are causing fentanyl  OD deaths. To act like weed is the worst thing in the world is a bit much. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

All respect, troph, but his problem isn't weed. That's the symptom.

Don’t fucking lecture me, we are talking about weed on this thread specifically. I’m very aware of all the issues that impact my son, most are not for this thread. I only brought him up because everyone here is extremely dismissive of the crisis of high potency readily available pot for kids today. And if you think for one minute weed isn’t a massive issue then you’re being a god damned hypocrite. And more specifically you can take your armchair 12 step expertise and shove it up your ass. 

27 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I've gotta disagree pretty hard with you on this man. No doubt that like anything else used to excess, weed can be destructive. But I've seen more kids lose their future to WoW, or to getting hooked on benzos, than I have to weed. 

Make no mistake, kids shouldn't be getting stoned or getting drunk. Their brains are still developing, and it's a risky game to put chemicals into your body that change how your mind works as your brain is learning how it works. 

And you'll notice like some other posters have said, nobody is saying we need to be getting kids stoned lol. That's a ridiculous straw man to attack

EverQuest>WoW

Personal to me simply means I am paying attention.

40% of teens report having used pot, 20% in the last 30 days. That was 2019 from the CDC. I’m sure that’s grown since especially with the pandemic.

adults saying it’s not that bad is a huge part of the problem. It’s not that bad for adults. It’s really bad for kids. 

it’s fine I don’t care if you dismiss my points, I’m dead on right.  Legalization movement is great but it’s creating a massive problem - teen use is on the rise, substantially on the rise, access is easier, and potency is off the charts. The risks to kids are numerous. This is a major shift in public health. It’s indisputable. Legalization is the cause, that’s not up for debate.  

thankfully, none of you are president. 

16 minutes ago, troph said:

I appreciate you sharing this personal detail, and I hear you. I've gotta say like your son though, I feel your son's struggle with apathy and and anxiety. The world has been a hell of a place for a while and the last couple years have been objectively the shittiest of my life and to quote my sweet neice, I've lost some of my sparkle. I don't doubt that the weed makes your son's struggles harder, but I don't think it's the fuel to his pain. 

I hope he finds comfort and healing. Lord knows we all could use some these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

40% of teens report having used pot, 20% in the last 30 days. That was 2019 from the CDC. I’m sure that’s grown since especially with the pandemic.

adults saying it’s not that bad is a huge part of the problem. It’s not that bad for adults. It’s really bad for kids. 

it’s fine I don’t care if you dismiss my points, I’m dead on right.  Legalization movement is great but it’s creating a massive problem - teen use is on the rise, substantially on the rise, access is easier, and potency is off the charts. The risks to kids are numerous. This is a major shift in public health. It’s indisputable. Legalization is the cause, that’s not up for debate.  

planes-flying.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

Not trying to be a dick and glad to hear your son is back on the right track but of the 40% that say they have used pot how many are messed up?  I bet a bunch of those kids are good students and doing great in school and will head off to college and become doctors, lawyers and other professions that are part of a productive society.  Those same 40% probably have used alcohol which is far more dangerous.  I am not advocating for kids to smoke weed but it is not an addictive substance like heroin, coke or opioids.  I grew up in Miami in the 1980’s and let’s just say I partook in my fair share of weed along with most if not all of my friends.  I started using it in 7th grade and by the time I got to UT I was not interested in it anymore as I got it out of my system I guess.  Once again, not advocating that kids use marijuana but you are giving a “reefer madness” vibe that I don’t think is quite true. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Not trying to be a dick and glad to hear your son is back on the right track but of the 40% that say they have used pot how many are messed up?  I bet a bunch of those kids are good students and doing great in school and will head off to college and become doctors, lawyers and other professions that are part of a productive society.  Those same 40% probably have used alcohol which is far more dangerous.  I am not advocating for kids to smoke weed but it is not an addictive substance like heroin, coke or opioids.  I grew up in Miami in the 1980’s and let’s just say I partook in my fair share of weed along with most if not all of my friends.  I started using it in 7th grade and by the time I got to UT I was not interested in it anymore as I got it out of my system I guess.  Once again, not advocating that kids use marijuana but you are giving a “reefer madness” vibe that I don’t think is quite true. 

I tend to agree that most are or will be fine. Anyone who is going to habitually use is going to find something. I personally don’t like any of it but I’m especially concerned about pot because it’s completely dismissed as harmless and the legalization movement which I fully support does cause problems.

No one says alcohol is safe, no one says script pain killers are safe. No one says heroin or other hard drugs are safe. But most people are dismissive of the dangers of habitual pot use. It’s only recently that people are acknowledging you can be addicted to pot. The misinformation out there for kids is substantial. That makes it worse. 

Do you have teens? I have 3, 2 have no issues and probably won’t after watching their brother. 1 does, and some of y’all know more about him than I do. I can also pick up the phone and call 30 moms with high schoolers who will all say the number one problem at our high school is pot use. I doubt we are an anomaly.  

7 minutes ago, troph said:

I tend to agree that most are or will be fine. Anyone who is going to habitually use is going to find something. I personally don’t like any of it but I’m especially concerned about pot because it’s completely dismissed as harmless and the legalization movement which I fully support does cause problems.

No one says alcohol is safe, no one says script pain killers are safe. No one says heroin or other hard drugs are safe. But most people are dismissive of the dangers of habitual pot use. It’s only recently that people are acknowledging you can be addicted to pot. The misinformation out there for kids is substantial. That makes it worse. 

Do you have teens? I have 3, 2 have no issues and probably won’t after watching their brother. 1 does, and some of y’all know more about him than I do. I can also pick up the phone and call 30 moms with high schoolers who will all say the number one problem at our high school is pot use. I doubt we are an anomaly.  

I have a 16 year old son and I would argue his X Box is more addictive and harmful to him than weed would be.  That being said he runs with a bunch of geeks so he doesn’t do drugs or alcohol like his old man did in High School.

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I have a 16 year old son and I would argue his X Box is more addictive and harmful to him than weed would be.  That being said he runs with a bunch of geeks so he doesn’t do drugs or alcohol like his old man did in High School.

Probably won’t lead to an increase chance for schizophrenia at least.  

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, troph said:

Probably won’t lead to an increase chance for schizophrenia at least.  

Those sorts of outcomes don't happen from just passing a joint around at a party every few weekends, I would think that's the result of some ongoing and long term usage in an adolescent. Same as abusing literally any other chemical during development

• Hook 'Em 1

Fuck them kids.

Everybody get high!

Seriously, what the fuck is going on in here? Why is the focus on the getting high aspect? This also opens the door for a ton of medical research and starts to right a decades-long wrong. Guess I'll agree to disagree. 

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If mom and dad don't secure their dope the way they secure their guns, then they are simply unfit for parenthood.   Assuming they lock up their guns, of course. 

I have a teenage son. great kid. We have had a lotta talks about booze and drugs and so far he's straight edge and just a healthy, happy dude. We still lock up our drugs and sex shit in a safe, more so he doesn't know the weird shit his parents get down with, than a worry he will partake. Same with the guns. Just lock it up and don't worry.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I was simply pointing out its not all roses and giggles on the path to legalization, teen use has exploded it’s extremely detrimental. It’s an important issue a national one at that.  So let’s be happy but it’s not a binary issue. Legalization has presented new challenges. 
Has legalization really impacted that tho? Most of my kids friends are very anti drug and alcohol. Rare occasion aside, I won't even have one beer around them. The constant media push around booze makes them laugh. Including sports radio ads for football plus Bud Light 24/7 as a pitch for Alcoholism each night of week and around DKR. They laugh and move on in my experience. I am glad we moved him out of Lake Travis, lotta shit in that district

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This is the real shit that needs to be scheduled. 

Does having a cinnamon roll every morning at 9:15 sharp count? 'Cause I'd like to think I was ahead of the curve for once.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

The far left is happy with this. Take note of where these people are. Crucial senate and governor race in Nevada. We NEED Bernie bros to show up in crucial senate, house, governor races to help keep as many seats blue as possible. They want marijuana taken off schedule 1 before the midterms. That move would significantly boost young and minority turnout. I know that for a fact. Biden gave them some crumbs, but people want the whole loaf of bread now.

Edited by Voldemort86

Governor Cripple has responded!  The response is just as bad and idiotic as we all expected. When’s the last time any democrat has talked about defunding the police? Abbott is living in the past on both that and his approach to marijuana. I hope spokesperson Renae Eze gets aids. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Governor Cripple has responded!  The response is just as bad and idiotic as we all expected. When’s the last time any democrat has talked about defunding the police? Abbott is living in the past on both that and his approach to marijuana. I hope spokesperson Renae Eze gets aids. 

His voters eat it up with a spoon. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

It's Abbott's shibboleth this cycle. He's pretty badly editing Beto to make him say "defund the police" - like matching the word "defund" in a speech to him saying "police" three sentences later. 

Much like everything conservatives do, there's not much critical thought to it. And there doesn't need to be because his target audience will believe anything bad about the dems you'll tell them

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's Abbott's shibboleth this cycle. He's pretty badly editing Beto to make him say "defund the police" - like matching the word "defund" in a speech to him saying "police" three sentences later. 

Much like everything conservatives do, there's not much critical thought to it. And there doesn't need to be because his target audience will believe anything bad about the dems you'll tell them

They just want to “roll coal” poor libs trying to exercise in the morning with their huge pickup trucks, spit tobacco at them when they walk by them, call them pussy soy boys to their faces, shove them in lockers.  Anything to own the libs!  In 2016 people who actually had property on the border in Texas voted for trump then cried like little bitches when he built walls right thru their property. In 2021, 1000’s or Texans froze to death to own the libs. Just recently, despite having access to many scientific studies saying that hurricanes are getting more powerful, live on the coast at your own risk, and we need to reduce climate emissions to stop global warming, well guess what?  Fort Myers and surrounding counties were bright red.

people voting against their self interests left and right. People just want to experience that thrill of winning and owning the libs, but they can’t comprehend the long term consequences they’re setting up for themselves by voting for the GOP. 

It isn’t just Beto/Abbott.  There are other gubernatorial races where the difference stances are being called out. 

I think the timing and the intentional forcing of “take a public stance on this issue” was a deft move.  Opposition to the drug wars as a an issue alone crosses party lines with the voters, no matter what the politicians say.

263,000 new jobs added (in line with expectations)
UE rate went down to 3.5% (was expected at 3.7%)

US now has half a million more jobs than we did pre-pandemic - 75,000 new healthcare jobs and 60,000 new restaurant industry jobs in this report.  Biggest womp womp is 21,000 less teacher jobs.  

We have a giant education crises.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

263,000 new jobs added (in line with expectations)
UE rate went down to 3.5% (was expected at 3.7%)

US now has half a million more jobs than we did pre-pandemic - 75,000 new healthcare jobs and 60,000 new restaurant industry jobs in this report.  Biggest womp womp is 21,000 less teacher jobs.  

We have a giant education crises.  

Crisis and yes.  I don't know how we get out of it.  Why would anyone want to be a teacher in this environment?

• Like 1