Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

24 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

lol

Inflation is at least slowing down, although I think the Fed rate increases have more to do with it than anything else.  What exactly is the inflation reduction plan from the Republicans? What would they be doing differently that would stop or slow inflation? 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Inflation is at least slowing down, although I think the Fed rate increases have more to do with it than anything else.  What exactly is the inflation reduction plan from the Republicans? What would they be doing differently that would stop or slow inflation? 

tax cuts for the rich and 20 trillion for a border wall and a gestapo

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Inflation is at least slowing down,

19 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

who's going to tell him?

good point.
@Dutchrudder, right you are, sir. "Core inflation" increased in August. But CPI, which includes food and energy, went down as show below. 
But who cares about food?

united-states-inflation-cpi@2x.png?s=cpi

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is the text that accompanies the chart that was linked.

The annual inflation rate in the US eased for a second straight month to 8.3% in August of 2022, the lowest in 4 months, from 8.5% in July but above market forecasts of 8.1%. The energy index increased 23.8%, below 32.9% in July. Smaller increases were reported for gasoline costs (25.6% vs 44%) and fuel oil (68.8% vs 75.6%) while inflation sped up for natural gas (33% vs 30.5%) and electricity (15.8%, the highest since August 1981). On the other hand, inflation rose for food (11.4%, the most since 1979), shelter (6.2%, the most since 1984), and used cars and trucks (7.8%). Compared to the previous month, consumer prices were up 0.1%, following a flat reading in July and compared to forecasts of a 0.1% drop. Meanwhile, core CPI, which excludes volatile energy and food prices, increased 6.3% on a year, the most since March, and up markedly from 5.9% hit in both June and July.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just a little note about gas prices; I recently (last week) drove through parts of AL and FL.  The gas was cheaper than CA , of course, but the diesel was still high...as much as 1.50 higher than gas.   Out here, Diesel runs about .50 higher than gas.  

What's up with that? 

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

Just a little note about gas prices; I recently (last week) drove through parts of AL and FL.  The gas was cheaper than CA , of course, but the diesel was still high...as much as 1.50 higher than gas.   Out here, Diesel runs about .50 higher than gas.  

What's up with that? 

I knew you were jetting through with a satchel full o' Californy money, so I put the word out to hike it up.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

You don't think it's slowing down?  Ok. 

Anyways, do you actually have any ideas or economic principles that would guide policy and action to curb inflation?  Anything of substance?

You know they don’t. 

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

What's up with that? 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

What's up with that? 

It’s about a buck fifty higher here too. Shall we assume California has more taxes on gasoline that it doesn’t have for diesel, as a more commercial use fuel?

• Hook 'Em 1

I was trapped in Joann Fabrics with Mrs. Canecutter, and they have a long cattle chute to the register lined with impulse buys, mostly candy.

On that day in Joann, 2022, their prices in dollars were the same as I paid in Mexican pesos in 2003. Like a 4 peso piece of chocolate was $3.99 at Joann.

I know they jack things up for people who are too chi-chi for Wally World, but damn. Might have to grow my own chocolate. Sell it outside Joann.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

You don't think it's slowing down?  Ok. 

Anyways, do you actually have any ideas or economic principles that would guide policy and action to curb inflation?  Anything of substance?

Not unilaterally granting inflationary student loan forgiveness. Not passing inflationary American Rescue Plan. Not passing inflationary Inflation Reduction Act. 

• Fuck You 6

Can someone school me better on inflation?  Obviously the Party Of No gang will point fingers at recent legislation meant to help people and do some legit investing…but I thought the main drivers were a surge in demand following Covid relaxations, compounded via slower recovery on the supply side (particularly long lead items), and aggravated by excessive monetary policy (artificially low rates, relief spending, etc).  

What am I missing?  There was a lot of pressure to keep prime rates low, ‘Dow 25k’ hats, dumbass ‘middle class’ tax break and the poorly-managed loan program in the US…but it’s a global problem.  Airlines are a perfect example, canceling flights due to lack of equipment and crews, contracting too far too fast in the interests of short term financial performance + assuming Covid lockdowns / demand suppression would last far longer.  

Rates needed to be raised while the supply-side catches back up and cool demand a bit.  It’s gonna suck, for awhile.  Maybe super-lean manuf chasing low overhead isn’t optimal for all industries.  Throw in climate change.  

There’s no easy answers, right?  Not shocked the usual suspects blame Biden when it seems these seeds were sown ages ago.  It’s an outrage no matter what a Dem admin does or doesn’t do.  Seems this shit always follows a ‘low taxes, no regulation’ admin.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

There’s no easy answers, right? 

I mean basically there’s no easy answer. And economist can’t exactly reference historical precedent… since we’ve never experienced a global pandemic that shut down nearly everything. There is no panacea other than best guesses/assumptions. It’s why the Fed has gone from inflation is transitory to well, time to do hike up the rates,  it’s gonna hurt everyone (stupid stock market) and best we can hope for is a soft-ish landing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Your kids table of an inflation thread is in 6stJ

Yeah there’s a lot of heavy hitters here. We’ve already had one of the smart ones try to put a partisan spin on a report universally viewed as hot/not good and he was subsequently pantsed.

There’s a reason markets tanked today. Participants realized the Fed is a long way from getting things under control, much less approaching their 2% target.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

So do nothing and hope it works itself out?

59 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

No, no, no. You obstruct so nothing can get done. That's the GOP way. Doing nothing would be an improvement.

If you have a fire, doing nothing is an improvement over throwing gas on it. 

• Fuck You 6

4 hours ago, Humble Beast said:

We’ve already had one of the smart ones try to put a partisan spin on a report universally viewed as hot/not good and he was subsequently pantsed.

There’s a reason markets tanked today. Participants realized the Fed is a long way from getting things under control, much less approaching their 2% target.

Pulling your hair out over 0.1-0.2% changes when the only “hot” aspect of the report is Core CPI, is why institutional traders should be given an Econ textbook instead of a Series 7 study guide when they start their first day out of college.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

rick scott, who presided over the largest medicare fraud in US history, should always be introduced as, "rick scott, who presided over the largest medicare fraud in US history."

I find it insane that his political opponents seem to have never bothered trying to use that against him.

• Like 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

I find it insane that his political opponents seem to have never bothered trying to use that against him.

I mean, it’s Florida. They’re probably jealous of the Brett Favre news because they didn’t think of it first 

• Hook 'Em 1

I dunno, maybe I'm just a dumb grocery shopper but when I see higher meat prices for beef and chicken at the grocery store I don't look at the Oval Office, I look at the weather and the corporate producers. Drought for months, bird flu, packer consolidation, those have an effect on prices that seems much more immediate.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I dunno, maybe I'm just a dumb grocery shopper but when I see higher meat prices for beef and chicken at the grocery store I don't look at the Oval Office, I look at the weather and the corporate producers. Drought for months, bird flu, packer consolidation, those have an effect on prices that seems much more immediate.

But then what grievances would you have to post thinly veiled partisan talking points about in a business board thread?

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Homercles said:

Can someone school me better on inflation?  Obviously the Party Of No gang will point fingers at recent legislation meant to help people and do some legit investing…but I thought the main drivers were a surge in demand following Covid relaxations, compounded via slower recovery on the supply side (particularly long lead items), and aggravated by excessive monetary policy (artificially low rates, relief spending, etc).  

What am I missing?  There was a lot of pressure to keep prime rates low, ‘Dow 25k’ hats, dumbass ‘middle class’ tax break and the poorly-managed loan program in the US…but it’s a global problem.  Airlines are a perfect example, canceling flights due to lack of equipment and crews, contracting too far too fast in the interests of short term financial performance + assuming Covid lockdowns / demand suppression would last far longer.  

Rates needed to be raised while the supply-side catches back up and cool demand a bit.  It’s gonna suck, for awhile.  Maybe super-lean manuf chasing low overhead isn’t optimal for all industries.  Throw in climate change.  

There’s no easy answers, right?  Not shocked the usual suspects blame Biden when it seems these seeds were sown ages ago.  It’s an outrage no matter what a Dem admin does or doesn’t do.  Seems this shit always follows a ‘low taxes, no regulation’ admin.  

My take is that no one needs to school you on inflation -- you need to school others on it.

Your take is precisely what I think is going on. Add in that the Fed was slow to raise rates (really only started 4-5 months ago) and you have the current situation. 

On 9/12/2022 at 6:28 PM, henrygandorf said:

edit to add - per the article, among dems he now has a 76/17 approval.  so that's a pretty noticeable chunk of dems that don't approve of biden, but it's not like they're gonna turn around and vote for a bunch of extreme maga candidates in the midterms.

if younger americans are paying attention at all and start actually voting, that will doom the current gop.

Legalize pot in October. Come on, we fucking need both houses or we're proper fucked.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Pulling your hair out over 0.1-0.2% changes when the only “hot” aspect of the report is Core CPI, is why institutional traders should be given an Econ textbook instead of a Series 7 study guide when they start their first day out of college.

They’re playing off what the Fed/Powell’s response will be. But the big kids here already knew that.

• Fuck You 4

19 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

Yes. Precisely. If you’re looking for someone to take up for the Fed or our incredibly centralized system, you have the wrong guy to put it mildly. 

So let me get this straight: the Fed distributed cash to some of America's largest banks for years while the Trump administration cut taxes for the rich and handed out the first round of checks for COVID relief, but inflation is Joe Biden's fault because he continued said relief and supplemented it with an infrastructure bill and a partial student loan forgiveness program that doesn't even apply to all borrowers. Do I have that right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3